Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

ymgve posted:

My theory is that the gun in the popcorn machine went off because of the heat and shot Tyrell. (Though I don't know enough about guns to judge if this is even possible)

No sorry, while a funny idea a popcorn machine doesn't even come close to the temperature it takes to cause a bullet to go off.

https://youtu.be/E-71Euv1UL4?t=13s

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

If your computers run Windows, yeah maybe don't do that. Not just for the reasons you see in Mr Robot but also that many viruses auto copy to usbs plugged into the infected computer, so the owner may not even be aware they are spreading something malicious.

If I was writing the show I'd go for something like dog man hiring another hacker to hack Elliot. There's very few plausible ways he can catch Elliot within the law.

ultramiraculous posted:

This show is really a lesson in why you should just epoxy all your non-essential ports shut.

Or, you know, just disable Autorun?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Samizdata posted:

Or, you know, just disable Autorun?

That will improve security sure. But it doesn't completely protect you. There have been viruses that infect your computer when an anti-virus scanned it once being plugged in. USB sticks that are actually seen as keyboard or mouse and run macros infecting the PC when plug and play kicks in. There was one a couple of years ago that exploited a vulnerability in explorer and when it scanned the contents to provide an icon it would infect through that. And the most common problem, people clicking on the things they find on the USBs, as we had in Mr Robot and with the example Big Bad Voodoo Lou gave you would need to double click a few files to find out the USBs owner.

If disabling autorun was all you needed to do then the US military would have just done that instead of banning all usb sticks and other removable media from Government computers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

seaborgium posted:

Learn something new every day, I'd never heard of that. So it probably is hidden then.

If you're interested, staganography is a neat thing. The modern iteration of it is where you encode data into another kind of data that looks like a normal file, like a jpg or a docx or, in Eliot's case, an mp3.

I'm not sure why everyone hated the season finale for its non-ending because we all knew they had to set things up for season 2. But ignoring that, I though it was a solid enough ending, at least in terms of Eliot's character arc. Even though his mental environment has changed, he's returned to that self-assured state of mind that he started the show with, which is just another facade to hid his internal turmoil. I also like where Angela is headed, though she may feel like she's been trapped in a kind of hell.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 7, 2015

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

ViggyNash posted:

I also like where Angela is headed, though she may feel like she's been trapped in a kind of hell.
I have no idea what's going on with Angela. The show set it up as if she had absolutely no other option than to take the weird job at E Corp, even though it seems like some weird setup.

The writing at least pointed it out when she asked "what am I even doing here?" but it still seems like one of the least realistic things so far on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

She pretty much doesn't have any other options, even before the hack went through. She would have been blacklisted from any other job in that industry and has already mentioned that she can't just take some low paying job since she has all those student loans plus the fact that her dad is apparently sick as hell. Evil Corp is the only company that knows she didn't actually do what she said she did and is okay with her lying to get what she wants.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

That will improve security sure. But it doesn't completely protect you. There have been viruses that infect your computer when an anti-virus scanned it once being plugged in. USB sticks that are actually seen as keyboard or mouse and run macros infecting the PC when plug and play kicks in. There was one a couple of years ago that exploited a vulnerability in explorer and when it scanned the contents to provide an icon it would infect through that. And the most common problem, people clicking on the things they find on the USBs, as we had in Mr Robot and with the example Big Bad Voodoo Lou gave you would need to double click a few files to find out the USBs owner.

If disabling autorun was all you needed to do then the US military would have just done that instead of banning all usb sticks and other removable media from Government computers.

Well, they also banned them because they make it easy to remove data. When I used to work IT, that is EXACTLY the reason we blocked USB ports via GPO.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Subjunctive posted:

On your computer, too.

:vince:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

muscles like this? posted:

She pretty much doesn't have any other options, even before the hack went through. She would have been blacklisted from any other job in that industry and has already mentioned that she can't just take some low paying job since she has all those student loans plus the fact that her dad is apparently sick as hell. Evil Corp is the only company that knows she didn't actually do what she said she did and is okay with her lying to get what she wants.

Her dad wasn't sick, he was drowning in debt from her mom being sick.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

ymgve posted:

My theory is that the gun in the popcorn machine went off because of the heat and shot Tyrell. (Though I don't know enough about guns to judge if this is even possible)

This is the internet. You're fine.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha the entire thing the season was building towards happened off-screen

Guess that explains why I've read so many angry whiny comments about the finale

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ViggyNash posted:

If you're interested, staganography is a neat thing. The modern iteration of it is where you encode data into another kind of data that looks like a normal file, like a jpg or a docx or, in Eliot's case, an mp3.

Or Everdraed always hiding audio files in his animated GIFs.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Hahaha the entire thing the season was building towards happened off-screen

Guess that explains why I've read so many angry whiny comments about the finale

All that they would of had to do was execute the program on the Raspberry Pi that they had hidden, as white rose was activating the delete on the live data via the compromised server. It would hardly make for gripping TV just someone SSH'ing and running one command.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey I ain't complaining, I thought it was a neat way to go about it. Not sure what all the finale complaints are about (I could look it up but y'know)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The extra week of anticipation and hype didn't help the finale, but I still enjoyed how it ended. It didn't need to be a big event episode, but it still moved things along nicely (and more than I expected). I thought in retrospect having a larger gap between eps 9 and 10 worked nicely when the main character is missing what happened in the last chunk of time.

(Don't see this as me being on the 'why can't we have our TV show!' list, I understood completely when they said they'd delay it and on seeing the episode I mean, there was no way that could've gone out that night.)

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

ymgve posted:

Jose posted:

did anyone else think the guy who blew his brains out looked like tyrell a bit? mostly in the mannerisms/smile. not that i think it means anything of course

Consecutive posts. This thread is already in good off season form.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

ukle posted:

All that they would of had to do was execute the program on the Raspberry Pi that they had hidden, as white rose was activating the delete on the live data via the compromised server. It would hardly make for gripping TV just someone SSH'ing and running one command.

Running the meltdown commands wouldn't have been exciting, but doing some reaction shots at Evil Corp and Steel Mountain when people realize what's happening and start freaking out would have been interesting.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, we got to see the reaction through Elliot's eyes which was better than at at terminal shot. Which we don't see because it gives us something to think about, but yeah I'd like to see a flashback or some other meltdown scene I agree.

For those who were disappointed, here's a deleted scene showing the hack

Last login: Tue Sep 8 14:16:18 on ttys000
SLACKWARE:~mrrobot$ sudo .hackthegibson

Exciting!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 8, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
After finally getting around to seeing the scene with Elliot and Tyrell's wife, I'm 100% on board with Tyrell just being another personality of Elliot's. At this point I just want them to go all-in and make Elliot live a truly incredulous number of alternate lives, each played by a different actor.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shoren posted:

Running the meltdown commands wouldn't have been exciting, but doing some reaction shots at Evil Corp and Steel Mountain when people realize what's happening and start freaking out would have been interesting.

Yeah, "run the command is boring" is not a barrier to embellished and visualized HAXXING sequences with slowly filling lines and red "AUTHORIZATION DENIED" alerts and fire-suppression systems going off.

It would probably have been hard to make one worthy of a season finale, but not impossible.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, "run the command is boring" is not a barrier to embellished and visualized HAXXING sequences with slowly filling lines and red "AUTHORIZATION DENIED" alerts and fire-suppression systems going off.

It would probably have been hard to make one worthy of a season finale, but not impossible.

A shot showing backup tapes beginning to melt would probably work well (Even though a bit embellished since I think the temperature at which tapes are visually melting is far beyond what an AC, even a hacked one, can produce)

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

NowonSA posted:

After finally getting around to seeing the scene with Elliot and Tyrell's wife, I'm 100% on board with Tyrell just being another personality of Elliot's. At this point I just want them to go all-in and make Elliot live a truly incredulous number of alternate lives, each played by a different actor.

Unless Tyrell's wife, secretary, security guards, and like 60 other people are all illusions as well, it's just not the case. Tyrell's character is also archetypically different from Elliot and the narrative experience would be cheapened by his being an illusion.

I wish this theory would die, because it's dumb.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
If Elliot's Tyrell then so much of Mr. Robot is hallucinated that it may as well just be Elliot in a padded call with his stories.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.
im upset that they didn't show the command screen because i need more material to form wild accusations and crackpot theories

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Spoilers: None of the characters are real, and they're all the figment of one man's imagination. That man? Sam Esmail.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

Spoilers: None of the characters are real, and they're all the figment of one man's imagination. That man? Sam Esmail.

Next season will just be Rami Malek memorizing his lines for what turns out to be season 3.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Accretionist posted:

If Elliot's Tyrell then so much of Mr. Robot is hallucinated that it may as well just be Elliot in a padded call with his stories.

Stop spoiling the ending of season 5 rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
And season 3 will be cell phone footage of them shooting season 3.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Or Everdraed always hiding audio files in his animated GIFs.

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about Everdraed after I jumped ship from GBS. Is he still doing that?

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

ymgve posted:

A shot showing backup tapes beginning to melt would probably work well (Even though a bit embellished since I think the temperature at which tapes are visually melting is far beyond what an AC, even a hacked one, can produce)

Hacking a datacenters climate control to melt tapes is plausible. The average temperature of a DC is between 50F and 82F, plastic tape begins to degrade at 90F. HOWEVER - it is very silly to think that their DC HVAC is connected in any way to the thermostat in a bathroom. I don't want to make too much of an effortpost on this, but Steel Mountain is modeled after real life data center company Iron Mountain.

From their write-up about their DC, their HVAC uses geothermic cooling:

quote:

• Natural and geothermal cooling
• Innovative, green design provides high static pressure differential cooling system
-high reliability without mechanical cooling
-cold aisle containment
-reduced cost of cooling
From the slideshow here: http://apps.ironmountain.com/Slideshows/IMDC_Underground/index.html

quote:

The Underground location provides the natural advantages of low ambient temperature and geothermal cooling, which delivers some of the lowest available Power Utilization Effectiveness (PUE) values.
Along with a constant 52 degree temperature, the data center is cooled with the help of an underground lake.

All this being said, read about Stuxnet - a virus left on a USB drive meant to provide false negatives for the monitoring of nuclear power heat thus causing it to overheat (same concept as show).

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Hacking a datacenters climate control to melt tapes is plausible. The average temperature of a DC is between 50F and 82F, plastic tape begins to degrade at 90F. HOWEVER - it is very silly to think that their DC HVAC is connected in any way to the thermostat in a bathroom. I don't want to make too much of an effortpost on this, but Steel Mountain is modeled after real life data center company Iron Mountain.

From their write-up about their DC, their HVAC uses geothermic cooling:

From the slideshow here: http://apps.ironmountain.com/Slideshows/IMDC_Underground/index.html

All this being said, read about Stuxnet - a virus left on a USB drive meant to provide false negatives for the monitoring of nuclear power heat thus causing it to overheat (same concept as show).

They literally addressed the bathroom thermostat issue by saying something along the lines of "who has all their thermostats callback to the same server?"

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

apatheticman posted:

They literally addressed the bathroom thermostat issue by saying something along the lines of "who has all their thermostats callback to the same server?"

Besides, they weren't trying to melt the tapes per se, they were trying to cause the binder between the substrate and the magnetic media to soften. Also, they were doing this on a fictional data center, so bringing in a real secure data center doesn't count. Yes, the fictional secure data center was based on the real one, but this is a fictional show after all.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

apatheticman posted:

lol poo poo you're right, I forgot about that. I guess it explains it, but honestly that's just about as bad as the hacking poo poo they try to call out for 'ruining hacker culture' with singing viruses and 3d tron city directory structures. Literally every data center I've ever seen (I work in this field) has their own segmented hvac specifically designed for it, with redundancies out the rear end. So yeah, hacking a thermostat in a hallway would make the office building hot as gently caress and people might not be happy about it (some might even work from home :ohdear:) but the DC would smoothly remain a frigid 50-60F. (It's not uncommon to wear jackets or sweatshirts working in them.)

edit: anyways that episode is where all technical accuracy was thrown out the window and I began to just enjoy it from a drama / character driven perspective

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Forcing someone to work from home so they can piggy-back on a VPN connection to escalate from a compromised home router or something...there could be something there.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
I thought they encrypted the data with a 256bit key that would take forever to brute force un-encrypt?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unless the disks were full, just encrypting the data should let some of it be recovered off of blocks that weren't over-written (especially since those blocks may not line up on each replica). Probably that's not the intention of the writers, though, so we should assume that the backups are gone and the data is really only around in encrypted form.

More interesting to me, If the point is to not have it be recoverable, though, there's no reason to encrypt at all. Just overwrite with zeroes or a random pattern. So there must be some circumstance under which fsociety would reverse the encryption, and someone must be safeguarding the key. Many possible plot hooks in that space.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ViggyNash posted:

Oh poo poo, I totally forgot about Everdraed after I jumped ship from GBS. Is he still doing that?

He doesn't post much but he's one of the people behind Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015 so he's still doing god's work.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

Unless the disks were full, just encrypting the data should let some of it be recovered off of blocks that weren't over-written (especially since those blocks may not line up on each replica). Probably that's not the intention of the writers, though, so we should assume that the backups are gone and the data is really only around in encrypted form.

More interesting to me, If the point is to not have it be recoverable, though, there's no reason to encrypt at all. Just overwrite with zeroes or a random pattern. So there must be some circumstance under which fsociety would reverse the encryption, and someone must be safeguarding the key. Many possible plot hooks in that space.

I remember it being mentioned that even if they did manage to get the encryption keys they'd just find dummy data anyway. I figured it was done that way to make them scramble to recover the data.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GutBomb posted:

I remember it being mentioned that even if they did manage to get the encryption keys they'd just find dummy data anyway. I figured it was done that way to make them scramble to recover the data.

Properly-encrypted data can't be distinguished from random data, so there's no point in actually encrypting unless you want the option of decrypting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Subjunctive posted:

Properly-encrypted data can't be distinguished from random data, so there's no point in actually encrypting unless you want the option of decrypting.

I'm not sure it's random data, just not the data they are expecting to retrieve. I just remember Elliot saying something like "even if they do manage to decrypt it their data is gone anyway."

• Locked thread