Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Hellsau posted:

This is basically why I don't like Skyrim compared to Morrowind. There's a lot more stupid edgy bullshit, and a ton more rape. God drat is there a lot of rape. I'm pretty sure future Elder Scrolls games would be made much better if they find whoever put more rape into the backstory and just fire them. I just want to have fun stealing things with my mates, oh hey here's some lady I wonder what brought her into this line of work oh nice work Skyrim writers you loving gross shits. Hey I wonder how vampires first came into existance, let me just read this book here oh god drat it again!

Other than Serena's origin I don't remember many allusions to rape in Skyrim, That book was from Oblivion so I can't really blame it on skyrims writers. I haven't finished dawnguard or even got very far into it so maybe its real bad what with molag bal being a key part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Man Whore posted:

Other than Serena's origin I don't remember many allusions to rape in Skyrim, That book was from Oblivion so I can't really blame it on skyrims writers. I haven't finished dawnguard or even got very far into it so maybe its real bad what with molag bal being a key part of it.

You mean Molag Bal, The King of Rape? Yeah, that sounds likely

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

nosl posted:

Big difference there, vanilla Oblivion sucks worse than any TES game modded or unmodded

Fixing the levelling or the textures doesn't fix bland landscape or the quests or the rest of the game.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

My Q-Face posted:

Fixing the levelling or the textures doesn't fix bland landscape or the quests or the rest of the game.

I agree that the game sucked cocks lorewise. In my opinion it was just a modders paradise, because of this reason. Nothing made sense at all.

Oblivion is my least favorite of the modern 3, but with mods it's pretty badass. The combat becomes challenging and you actually end up playing it like *gasp* an RPG. I still think it's the weakest of the 3 overall when played with only official content (as it's meant to be judged in my opinion). Trust me, anytime someone mentions Oblivion as one of their favorite 'RPGs' I go into a blind rage.

The only reason I compared OOO to Skyrim was because it was my belief that Bethesda took some inspiration from OOO (and I heard they even hired Oscuro or asked him for advice? not sure how true this is). Obliviously not enough, because Skyrim's leveling sucked. The atmosphere was a bit better, but not by much honestly. Lore-wise, it was a million times better, but from a gameplay perspective, it was not that great. It's low-fantasy like Oblivion, but it's bleak and depressing like Morrowind, with no depth like Oblivion. yawn.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Hellsau posted:

This is basically why I don't like Skyrim compared to Morrowind. There's a lot more stupid edgy bullshit, and a ton more rape. God drat is there a lot of rape.

:psyduck: I guess you aren't familiar with Almalexia's origins

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!
Mention rape and goons go wild

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

nosl posted:

The only reason I compared OOO to Skyrim was because it was my belief that Bethesda took some inspiration from OOO (and I heard they even hired Oscuro or asked him for advice? not sure how true this is).

Obsidian hired Oscuro. I don't think he ever had anything to do with Skyrim, but he did a lot with New Vegas.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I got the Skyrim artbook and while it's full of pretty great art, it's also depressing because it reveals how :effort: Bethesda is. Like, there's a few parts about how they wanted Whiterun's throne to be made of a naturally formed quartz node and how once you were initiated into the Companions you could give them a shield to put on Jorrvaskr, but they decided both of those would be really hard to do so they gave up. They gave up on making a fancy chair and a minor side-quest in the first city of the game.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

nosl posted:

The only reason I compared OOO to Skyrim was because it was my belief that Bethesda took some inspiration from OOO (and I heard they even hired Oscuro or asked him for advice? not sure how true this is). Obliviously not enough, because Skyrim's leveling sucked. The atmosphere was a bit better, but not by much honestly. Lore-wise, it was a million times better, but from a gameplay perspective, it was not that great. It's low-fantasy like Oblivion, but it's bleak and depressing like Morrowind, with no depth like Oblivion. yawn.

Maiq doesn't care how strong you are or how smart you are... Maiq just wants all the players to all have exactly the same experience.

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

My Q-Face posted:

Maiq doesn't care how strong you are or how smart you are... Maiq just wants all the players to all have exactly the same experience.

Not sure if you're implying that my opinion (which I posted on a place where people are posting opinions) is supposed to translate to everyone's opinion, or if you're saying my opinion's wrong, or if you're saying that Bethesda's newfound leveling logic is to make everything leveled so the game feels the same way all the way through, but I don't really care either way.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's kind of the new Elder Scrolls experience, though. At the start, you kill a Draugr with a couple of swings with your iron sword. At the end, you kill a Draugr Death Overlord with a couple of swings with your ebony sword.

It's still fun, but there's less sense of character growth.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Leveling is awful garbage but in skyrim I found it at least tolerable whereas I can't even play vanilla Oblivion anymore without getting rid of that awful garbage. It helps that in skyrim there are places a new character just can't go without getting merced so it at least feels like you aren't running on a giant treadmill like you are with oblivion.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

My Q-Face posted:

This was always one of my "favorite" things about the transition from Morrowind to Oblivion and Skyrim. M'aiq was originally an exceptionally Kirkbride-y character in a game that was Kirkbride-y through and through, not to mention hidden away in the absolute middle of nowhere, so naturally his appearances in the other games are to solely poke fun at dropped features along every major thoroughfare. Something about it just encapsulates the spirit of "ehhh gently caress it, creative settings are hard" so wholly to me.

On a semi-related note I can't help but laugh whenever a goon wanders into a CHIM discussion for their first time and gets flippant about how nerds care too much about their slashmans game, because the official forum discussions around the kind of trivial poo poo M'aiq pokes fun at in Oblivion were apocalyptic. Similar hyperbole could be found on NMA whenever Bethesda picked up Fallout, but at least NMA's talking points were "it's a totally different genre and I hate it" rather than "if I cannot use a staff as a melee weapon then roleplaying in the Elder Scrolls is dead to me."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
His name is Mike.

Oh my god, I just got that.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

His name is Mike.

Yep! He's literally Kirkbride's self-insert advertising for his forum persona with a splash of "Welcome To My Twisted Mind" thrown in because it's inescapable when dealing with him.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

nosl posted:

Not sure if you're implying that my opinion (which I posted on a place where people are posting opinions) is supposed to translate to everyone's opinion, or if you're saying my opinion's wrong, or if you're saying that Bethesda's newfound leveling logic is to make everything leveled so the game feels the same way all the way through, but I don't really care either way.

None of the above. Haven't you spoken to Maiq in Skyrim? "Maiq doesn't care how strong or smart you are" refers to the elimination of attributes and classes (and consequently, RPG elements) from Skyrim. No separate classes means the game has limited replay value, and it makes individual experiences less unique. I mean, it's not as bad as Oblivion, where I broke the game by murdering the sacrificial Argonian instead of saving him as I was "supposed" to, I can pick sides in the Civil War at least.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Oblivion is the one TES game that I have no desire to go back and play. A lot of times I'll get an itch for Morrowind and sometimes for Skyrim, but I just find it really hard to care about Oblivion.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

His name is Mike.

Oh wow.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

His name is Mike.

Oh for Ffffffffffffffffffffffff

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012
I didn't realize it either. wow. I do know that Jobasha was someone else's insert though. Along with the (obvious) Socucius Ergalla.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
My brother only just got it this year, despite knowing since forever that it's Kirkbride's self-insert, and his own name being Mike, and me explicitly referring to him as "Mike" the Liar in our many conversations about him together... Mind you, this is the same brother who I had to explain the significance of the number 420 to this same year, so he's not the brightest plank in the shed.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I don't follow (or generally care about) the behind the scenes details, except where I see people taking all this time and effort and years to pump out a new game in a series, except that somehow it ends up sucking compared to the old game, which didn't take nearly as many years to develop, and they take out cool features from previous games in the series only to add in lovely new features that restrict the gameplay in favor of poo poo like QTEs and mini-action-cut-scenes and giant text on the screen telling you what to do, because you're too stupid to figure out it on your own, and stupid batmobile tank driving combat missions, meanwhile rope arrows can only be fired into specific places because we're trying to herd you like cats down a single funnel because we don't want to worry about trying to test all the different possibilities in case you do something we didn't think of and our remake of a classic, the last (and only) good game with this particular IP is going to be vastly inferior but it will look and sound really cool, :spergin: :spergin: :spergin: I hate game developers.

But I'm intrigued. Who are Jobasha and Socucius Ergala supposed to be?

Moryrie
Sep 24, 2012

My Q-Face posted:

But I'm intrigued. Who are Jobasha and Socucius Ergala supposed to be?

Jobasha is Douglas Goodall (he admitted it and posted as Jobasha on the forums). He quit after Morrowind. If you've ever seen a picture of Ken Rolston.... you'll understand the other.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

uesp.net posted:

In Azura's Coast (13, 5), you can find the corpse of an NPC named Arlowe. On the corpse is the BanHammer. This is a reference to the Something Awful Forums, where the site's creator, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka, uses the Banhammer to ban trolls. On the forums, Kyanka is sometimes referred to as R-Lo, which is a homonym of Arlowe.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Plus, the main questline was just begging for trouble. What do we need to do? We need to defeat a dragon. Personally. How do we do it? By hacking at it with a sword. Do we need a special Artifact sword, maybe forged with Kyne's oversight using Talos's remains? Naw just gotta go to this place and shout at him to come down there and hack away with whatever you've got lying around. By comparison, Morrowind had you collecting a bunch of sweet artifacts from a bunch of different dudes with varying objectives to be able to destroy a piece of a God - you didn't just go up to Dagoth Ur and stab him to win. Oblivion had you guide Martin to the Temple of the One - you in particular weren't needed. Having the main objective be completed through combat is just a bad idea for an Elder Scrolls game because combat isn't exactly the main draw for the series.

Yeah but if the main character doesn't personally end the threat with his big sword and rippling muscles (elves, archers, women and mages not invited) then :qq: abloo bloo Martin stole my glory now the people in this fake world won't worship me as their saviour what kind of wish fulfilment is this?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Is Caius Cosades another self-insert? Was there someone on the Morrowind team who hated wearing shirts?

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Never forget that once upon a time Bethesda devs actually posted on SA

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

Man Whore posted:

Once Upon a Time. But not in any threads any of you have ever read... What I am saying is you didn't read threads

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Josh Sawyer (rope kid) used to post in the New Vegas modding thread. Obsidian, not Bethesda, I know, but still...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Josh Sawyer (rope kid) used to post in the New Vegas modding thread. Obsidian, not Bethesda, I know, but still...

He was also posting in the Pillars of Eternity thread when it came out. I don't know if he still is. Good guy, though.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Arivia posted:

He was also posting in the Pillars of Eternity thread when it came out. I don't know if he still is. Good guy, though.

Nah he's still active.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

FutonForensic posted:

Nah he's still active.

Yeah he's posted a few times in the fallout 4 thread.

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und

Man Whore posted:

I feel like I already posted this, but if you are old enough, you may remember a frontpage article where JeffK interviewed Todd Howard just prior to the release of Morrowind.

And then a little while later, Lowtax/JeffK invented the concept of a Let's Play, using morrowind screenshots.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
Some goon claimed to be the developer responsible for cliff racers.

My Q-Face posted:

I broke the game by murdering the sacrificial Argonian instead of saving him as I was "supposed" to

This is a bug - that dude is totally killable. You lose out on a couple of skill points later but whatever.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
The elder scrolls is weird to me. I recently came to the conclusion that they're expansive action games, not rpgs. All the quests are typically binary at best, and even in Morrowind, the world is mostly unresponsive to your actions. You don't really play or create a role, you just follow one.

It's interesting because it started as an RPG, and is getting more actiony, when action games keep getting more RPG elements. To the point where The Witcher and MGSV feel like the only difference between the two is the setting.

Tldr; The reason it's hard to replay these games is that no matter how you change your approach, the game is the same.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Some goon claimed to be the developer responsible for cliff racers.

Yeah, Hayt, who posts sporadically and has posted in this very thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697061&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post441098746 And also designed the Oblivion Mages Guild Quest line.

quote:

This is a bug - that dude is totally killable. You lose out on a couple of skill points later but whatever.

The bug is that you're supposed to save him, which triggers Mankar Camoran running away and everybody else attacking you, and if you kill him, Camoran leaves and nobody attacks you and you're stuck in the dungeon and nothing happens and you can't get out, even though you just proved yourself a loyal member of the Mythic Dawn.

Nasgate posted:

You don't really play or create a role, you just follow one.

:spergin:

quote:

Tldr; The reason it's hard to replay these games is that no matter how you change your approach, the game is the same.

It's a videogame that takes up only a few gigabytes on my harddrive, so I don't expect infinite possibilities, or "creating" a role, after all there is a story they want to tell and a limited amount of disk space to tell it in, but simple things like Morrowind's faction alignments and opposing quest trees made that game incredibly replayable, because playing as a telvanni wizard is different than playing as a hlaalu thief, and you can't do both in a single play through.

The reason it's hard to replay these games (oblivion and skyrim) is because I did (or could do) 90% of the available quests with a single character.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

My Q-Face posted:

Yeah, Hayt, who posts sporadically and has posted in this very thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697061&pagenumber=8&perpage=40#post441098746 And also designed the Oblivion Mages Guild Quest line.

The bug is that you're supposed to save him, which triggers Mankar Camoran running away and everybody else attacking you, and if you kill him, Camoran leaves and nobody attacks you and you're stuck in the dungeon and nothing happens and you can't get out, even though you just proved yourself a loyal member of the Mythic Dawn.

you are supposed to grab the mysteriom xarxes which causes all the mythic dawn to attack you anyways. Its sad you can't string them along longer but you couldn't join the sixth house either.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Moryrie posted:

You're not alone. One thing I noticed right away with Skyrim.. was how most of the humor was culled. There's some.. but it's in certain quests only like Sheogorath and Sanguine's daedric quests and it feels a bit forced. Everything is awful all the time, and there's more reason for all the booze in Skyrim than there was in Morrowind or Oblivion.

It's not just humor. Skyrim has a general lack of emotion and humanity. There's no drama, no tragedy, no triumph, no buildup to big moments, no unique music to set the tone of a scene, no friendship, no romance or sexuality - the world just ends up feeling emotionally dead after the novelty wears off.

nosl posted:

I'm not sure how you can consider Skyrim to be low fantasy when magic and magic items are everywhere, you fight dragons on a regular basis, and you can become invincible by screaming magic words. Oblivion had the same level of magic and involved fighting armies of demons who were invading the world through fiery hell portals, so I don't think that's low fantasy either.

Heavy Lobster posted:

On a semi-related note I can't help but laugh whenever a goon wanders into a CHIM discussion for their first time and gets flippant about how nerds care too much about their slashmans game, because the official forum discussions around the kind of trivial poo poo M'aiq pokes fun at in Oblivion were apocalyptic. Similar hyperbole could be found on NMA whenever Bethesda picked up Fallout, but at least NMA's talking points were "it's a totally different genre and I hate it" rather than "if I cannot use a staff as a melee weapon then roleplaying in the Elder Scrolls is dead to me."

To be fair, quarterstaves would indeed be a good addition. Better magic staves would be nice, too.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 10, 2015

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

I'm curious how the animation for a staff would be different than the animation for a two-handed warhammer.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

My Q-Face posted:

I'm curious how the animation for a staff would be different than the animation for a two-handed warhammer.

More twirling, probably.

loving wizards just love to twirl their sticks around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

My Q-Face posted:

Well it depends on the staff, quarterstaff you would have more twirly moves, whereas a wizards staff has a knob on the end.