Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

busb posted:

uh, libertarians don't believe in laws keane

Libertarians only believe in laws and contract, they don't believe in justice, charity, or obligation to your fellow human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I'd say they skew more chaotic neutral to chaotic evil

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

I am a lawful neutral who thinks he is chaotic good.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CCKeane posted:

I am chaotic good!

robot 1-X

Gearshift

DuckHuntDog posted:

I am a lawful neutral who thinks he is chaotic good.

711 Bot

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EccoRaven posted:

quote this post telling me your D&D alignment irl and I will tell you which robot you are most like from Futurama.

Chaotic Neutral

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Rarity posted:

Chaotic Neutral

Tinny Tim.

EccoRaven posted:

quote this post telling me your D&D alignment irl and I will tell you which robot you are most like from Futurama.

neutral good.

EccoRaven posted:

neutral good.

a Robot Elder.

SILENCE!! this buzzfeed has concluded thank you for your time.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Sep 8, 2015

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm lawful neutral, though all my D&D characters are neutral good. I don't want a buzzfeed. I just like D&D.

I should've made a sheet for Byers' game. I regret everything!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

BottleKnight posted:

I'm lawful neutral, though all my D&D characters are neutral good. I don't want a buzzfeed. I just like D&D.

More like lawful POOful of you ask me.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

BottleKnight posted:

Sorry, it filled so quick!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

Sorry, it filled so quick!

I'm happy for you! I was looking at it before it had filled up and was waffling on it. So I did have a chance!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I went to NYC today and we walked from 125th down to 14th over the course of the day because I hate the subway. My feelings were justified after we took the subway to get to JFK. What a mess. NYC is cool but its public transportation really leaves much to be desired.

last time when I was in NYC I was taking a subway to meet up with Keane for drinks, and 2 asian lesbians started making out and groping each other right next to me. Was p cool

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I'm happy for you! I was looking at it before it had filled up and was waffling on it. So I did have a chance!

Have you played much of 5e yet? I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

Have you played much of 5e yet? I've been pleasantly surprised by how much I've enjoyed it.

Byers have you heard of the hot new RPG system called GURPS?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

I have the books right next to my keyboard. I started DM'ing the Tiamat book and didn't like it at all so I'm in the third or so session of a custom one and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Casters low-level seem better, combat seems less complicated, and this version seems to be more focused on you having a variety of stuff to do and just doing it vs spending hours and hours figuring out what you can do just to do the same stuff over and over again like 3.5.

I like 3.5 but it's too complicated for not enough payoff. I never played 4.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Byers have you heard of the hot new RPG system called GURPS?

I haven't played GURPS in years, and thank you for giving me flashbacks to trying desperately to find five more loving points during chargen.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

I haven't played GURPS in years, and thank you for giving me flashbacks to trying desperately to find five more loving points during chargen.

Quirks. Done.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I've only played a little bit of 5e and maybe it is just because we were low level, but I didn't like it at all. I felt so throttled in what I could do in a fight as a non-magic person that I basically have to wait until level 3 where I can learn some rogue magic to have any options whatsoever.

4e let you diversify from level 1 in picking encounter and daily powers, that you could pull out for certain situations. 5e is like here is the one thing you can do and if the situation isn't optimal for that one thing you are basically screwed.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

I have the books right next to my keyboard. I started DM'ing the Tiamat book and didn't like it at all so I'm in the third or so session of a custom one and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Casters low-level seem better, combat seems less complicated, and this version seems to be more focused on you having a variety of stuff to do and just doing it vs spending hours and hours figuring out what you can do just to do the same stuff over and over again like 3.5.

I like 3.5 but it's too complicated for not enough payoff. I never played 4.

4th had a lot of things for everyone to do and it was easy to figure out what you could do and how, but it was combat heavy. Like, sometimes tediously so.

5e took the best from a few editions and combined them in a way that works pretty well. It's not perfect and sometimes they tried too hard to please everyone (mostly in the variant rules in the DMG), but it's a pretty good model for D&D.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I like less structured RPGs, such as Edge of the Empire. Combat is fun but group storytelling is more important to me. So I like 5e a lot.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

I've only played a little bit of 5e and maybe it is just because we were low level, but I didn't like it at all. I felt so throttled in what I could do in a fight as a non-magic person that I basically have to go with until level 3 where I can learn some rogue magic to have any options whatsoever.

4e let you diversify from level 1 in picking encounter and daily powers, that you could pull out for certain situations. 5e is like here is the one thing you can do and if the situation isn't optimal for that one thing you are basically screwed.

Yeah, I can see that. I will say, up until this year 4th was my go-to D&D because the problems you mention for 5e are even more pronounced in earlier editions.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Byers2142 posted:

I enjoyed my play of it, but explicitly not because of the system. I have a GM who rules on the side of having fun and people who I enjoy playing with. But I think the system is handicapping us more than helping us.
Also martials are nearly worthless, the best way to play a fight guy is not to take the fight guy class which is sad.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

CCKeane posted:

Quirks. Done.

And when Quirks are maxed out, what then?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I do like the feature system though, since in 4e you basically built your character for combat and all the actual role playing character stuff was completely on you to put in. Having elements of your character actually built in from your character sheet is nice. I just wish they hadn't sacrificed so much of the combat complexity.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

In 3.5 you had very lovely options as a low-level caster and the cleric was always the most important person in the party. In my most recent 3.5 campaign I was a dwarven cleric and basically held the whole party on my back in damage, healing and tanking. That wouldn't last forever but I was an incredibly critical person and if I passed out, it was game over.

You can balance this out manually of course, but then what's the point?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Asiina posted:

I do like the feature system though, since in 4e you basically built your character for combat and all the actual role playing character stuff was completely on you to put in. Having elements of your character actually built in from your character sheet is nice. I just wish they hadn't sacrificed so much of the combat complexity.

I think that "combat complexity" is a good difference between the two. If you like that tactical game in combat and the structured power levels, 4th is your cup of tea. If you want more freeform, 5e is pretty good but like Grandicap said, you need a DM to roll with things.

For better or worse, 5E assumes a DM that ignores the rules when they get in the way of fun, and that they will about twice an adventure.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
BK, if the cleric is outdamaging everyone else in a 3.5 game someone is doing something wrong.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

In 3.5 you had very lovely options as a low-level caster and the cleric was always the most important person in the party. In my most recent 3.5 campaign I was a dwarven cleric and basically held the whole party on my back in damage, healing and tanking. That wouldn't last forever but I was an incredibly critical person and if I passed out, it was game over.

You can balance this out manually of course, but then what's the point?

I'd argue that cleric is a caster, and druid could wreck poo poo at low levels. Even a wizard, though, was head and shoulders above a fighter as far as complexity.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Also pathfinder is better, play that instead of 3.5

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

BK, if the cleric is outdamaging everyone else in a 3.5 game someone is doing something wrong.

We had a sorcerer, a druid, a rogue and a psion. The psion could crit better than me with his powers but I was still the one wrecking poo poo.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

CapitalistPig posted:

Also pathfinder is better, play that instead of 3.5

Yeah Pathfinder is basically 3.75. If you like 3.5 like games, Pathfinder is the best.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

CapitalistPig posted:

What? A battle cleric can dish out some serious hurt. Healing is something you do out of combat.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

BottleKnight posted:

We had a sorcerer, a druid, a rogue and a psion. The psion could crit better than me with his powers but I was still the one wrecking poo poo.

The sorcerer AND the rogue were doing it wrong then.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Grandicap posted:

What? A battle cleric can dish out some serious hurt. Healing is something you do out of combat.

Sure after spending 5 rounds buffing.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

My favorite part of 3.x was character creation. After that it was all down hill.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Byers2142 posted:

I'd argue that cleric is a caster, and druid could wreck poo poo at low levels. Even a wizard, though, was head and shoulders above a fighter as far as complexity.

Our druid was a new player and was total poo poo, but she really wanted that useless wolf...

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

CapitalistPig posted:

Sure after spending 5 rounds buffing.

only if you get ambushed tbh

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
I played a battle cleric specifically in 3.5 in a campaign lasting over a year, I worshipped a god that had a greataxe as his favored weapon and I was able to wear heavy armor, after a few rounds of buffs I did serious damage. The rogue, who tactically placed himself for sneak attacks constantly , outdamaged me overall, so did our wizard, maybe not for the first few levels but once he got level 3 spells it was over.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

BottleKnight posted:

only if you get ambushed tbh

A good DM doesnt let you sit there casting 5 buffs before battle, you shouldn't have time for it.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I outdamaged everybody in my 3.5 campaign while playing a bard. We had a druid, a fighter, and a wizard in the party.

They could all do a lot of damage, but I had an army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If you were actually cool you'd make your own system and play that instead.

Being totally genuine, I played a 1e campaign earlier in the summer and really enjoyed it. There was some dumb bullshit, but there some really nice things too. I now desire anew system that's like that but with modern game design.