Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
When I lived out that way I went to Road America a number of times. It's a dang nice track.
Wish I could say I am ready for a ride, especially since this coming weekend the highs are supposed to be in the mid 80's.
Unfortunately I just bought a house this past weekend and moved in. I am pretty much financially devastated.
If I can get a new set of tires during the week I'll meet up but it looks like it'll be two or three weeks before I'm ready to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
RA was beautiful and it was funny watching people flop around like wilted flowers and sit under big fans while complaining about 82 degree highs. We explored the whole grounds on mountain bikes after the races were over each day and camped right by one of the good turns.

My next Saturday is stacked up but if I'm not suicidally hungover and/or still drunk from Brewfest I might have to try to go out again on Sunday if the weather is as good as it's supposed to be.

Congrats on the new house and the many upcoming years of financial devastation. I love owning a house. I just bought a third new air conditioner in as many years last Saturday. Love it.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I'm in as long as the high is 90 or below, which, looking at the weather should be good.

Sunday the 13th looks really good and i'd love to try and head out for SOMETHING that day.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alceste posted:

RA was beautiful and it was funny watching people flop around like wilted flowers and sit under big fans while complaining about 82 degree highs. We explored the whole grounds on mountain bikes after the races were over each day and camped right by one of the good turns.

My next Saturday is stacked up but if I'm not suicidally hungover and/or still drunk from Brewfest I might have to try to go out again on Sunday if the weather is as good as it's supposed to be.

Congrats on the new house and the many upcoming years of financial devastation. I love owning a house. I just bought a third new air conditioner in as many years last Saturday. Love it.

Home ownership is the worst and I wish it on no one. Apparently ever since I bought my house there has been like a 1 foot square hole that gives direct access to my attic from the roof, and squirrels and rats have been building their own amusement park up there. Now I get to go in and replace all my insulation after already having put in new insulation when I bought the house. Not to mention the buckets of rat and squirrel poo poo. We also had our AC go down this summer but it was just the fan and it was a relatively cheap fix. It's bullshit that you can't just buy HVAC parts though since I was able to diagnose the problem and get the fan off so all the guy had to do was come and bolt the new fan in, and it still cost me a bunch of money because I can't buy my own fan.

I need to ride my motorcycles more so I'm up for a ride if the weather is not absurdly hot.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
A home warranty, if you haven't considered getting one, may or may not help with the rodent infestation but it helped us a bit with AC stuff, and maybe it will help when the water heater inevitably goes, which is the next thing I expect to happen. This house has two AC units and we have had about eight service calls between them since we moved in--we lost both a condenser fan and a blower fan--which is the main reason we have replaced them both even though neither was totally, irrecoverably dead yet. (That and lowering our electric bills.) Even with the warranty, though, they cost about $7500 between em and the one I had to buy for the old house--less than a year before we moved out of it--was close to $4K. And then there's plumbing. This, at the top of a list of reasons, is why I don't ride a nice motorcycle, or a nice bike for that matter.

Some days I long for the rentals of yesteryear, especially when I get the new property tax assessment, but I just have to hope that either this place will continue to appreciate in value until we sell it too, or we can stay here for like 28 more years till it's paid off.

Sometimes when I wring that SV throttle all the way open on a straight piece of country road, I feel like I'm going just fast enough to put this bullshit behind me. :feelsgood:

Back it up Terry
Nov 20, 2006

There's supposed to be a classic bike show at the bomb factory on Saturday. I was thinking about checking it out, but I'm down to ride Saturday or Sunday.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I'm having a bitch of a time finding the motivation to do anything biek-related. I still need to fix my carburetor, and my master cylinder, and change the oil, and get a new front tire, and get it inspected, and get it registered, and get a motorcycle license, and get a helmet...

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

I'm having a bitch of a time finding the motivation to do anything biek-related. I still need to fix my carburetor, and my master cylinder, and change the oil, and get a new front tire, and get it inspected, and get it registered, and get a motorcycle license, and get a helmet...

What size melon do you have in HJC? I have a spare helmet if you want/need that I won't use.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Skreemer posted:

What size melon do you have in HJC? I have a spare helmet if you want/need that I won't use.

Theoretically a 2XL, my gargantuan dome is almost exactly 25 inches around.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

N is for Nipples posted:

Theoretically a 2XL, my gargantuan dome is almost exactly 25 inches around.

That means the medium and extra large I have won't fit. Oh well.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Thinking of you guys while I'm in western CO.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Have fun out there. Send back lots of pics. Some of us need to live vicariously through you.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
That's beautiful but if I was out there I don't know if I'd be thinking about anything having to do with Dallas, or Texas

e: Someday I think I'm going to drive the family up there with my bike in the back of the truck and leave them at a campground while I ride around the mountains all day and have the best of both.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I think that's a splendid idea. Though honestly, you should also consider Utah for the SHITLOADS of BLM trails. There were dirt turnoffs into the canyons / wilderness all over the place.

But I guess CO is a bit closer.

Skreemer, Grats on getting away from that weirdo. Also you and I totally work at the same company now, but in the new HQ on regular hours.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I think that's a splendid idea. Though honestly, you should also consider Utah for the SHITLOADS of BLM trails. There were dirt turnoffs into the canyons / wilderness all over the place.

But I guess CO is a bit closer.

Skreemer, Grats on getting away from that weirdo. Also you and I totally work at the same company now, but in the new HQ on regular hours.

That means you and I work in the same building (DAL11) right off the DNT. What floor are you on? I'll have to visit.
If your still living in the same spot we're about neighbors too, I'm near Parker and Alma on the west side of 75.

Skreemer fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 20, 2015

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Kawasaki Demo Ride in Plano on October 1st from noon until 6pm.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Yeah, DAL11, 6th floor. Still living in the same spot too.

Looks like the temps are starting to come down again so I'll be looking at my schedule to put something together.

WhyLeeKyOT
Sep 28, 2015
i'm a literal fucking piece of shit who calls the cops on poor people just so i can stuff my and my wife's fat fucking faces with whataburger!!!!!!!! if you see me on the street please kick my ass!!!!
I was riding down the road the other day on my Harley Fat Bob. I traded in my old 99 Vulcan for this thing. I was popping my Harley cherry, first ride on a hog.... I went over railroad track going 20 mph, wasn't a small bump. I suddenly felt droplets, followed by streams of fork oil getting all over my jacket, face, mouth, exhaust..... needless to say I am regretting this purchase. They are coming tomorrow to tow it back to the dealership to fix it under warranty. I might give it another chance. I'm in Wylie and have Sundays free....

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Welcome to the wonderful world of used motorcycle ownership!

I'm just southwest of you near where Sachse, Murphy and Wylie meet.

I can bet we'll be up for something within the next weekend or two, as the temps are going down.

Did you happen to get the thing from Superbikes of Dallas? They sometimes do non-racing bikes and they've taken good care of me.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
The weather looks like it's gonna be incredibly nice this weekend. Probably gonna put something together for Sunday. Any feelings about the route? We could go for our standard northern twisties, there's the scenic FM4, or maybe back up to the wind farm? I can also come up with something new, potentially.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

kuffs posted:

The weather looks like it's gonna be incredibly nice this weekend. Probably gonna put something together for Sunday. Any feelings about the route? We could go for our standard northern twisties, there's the scenic FM4, or maybe back up to the wind farm? I can also come up with something new, potentially.

holy crap, I just looked at the weather too. Assuming my bike doesn't poo poo its pants like it did last time i'm completely in.

If I was going to offer a suggestion i'd love to see water/lakes. But i'm not really picky.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
My request to have my Sunday to myself--most of it, anyway--was approved, so I'm in.

Lately I've been riding around 455 / 2933 / 1827 etc. by myself and looking at Ray Roberts from the dam and turning around in Sanger, so something different sounds good to me, but then again I never get sick of looking at lakes. I don't think I've been on the FM4 route yet. Anything is fine with me though.

Alceste fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 29, 2015

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme

Skreemer posted:

Kawasaki Demo Ride in Plano on October 1st from noon until 6pm.

Anybody going to this? I have an office at the Dell campus nearby so I was thinking of going and working from there the rest of the day. I have never been on a Ninja, though I will look silly in my SUZUKI jacket if I get to ride one. I need a new jacket anyway.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

WhyLeeKyOT posted:

I was riding down the road the other day on my Harley Fat Bob. I traded in my old 99 Vulcan for this thing. I was popping my Harley cherry, first ride on a hog.... I went over railroad track going 20 mph, wasn't a small bump. I suddenly felt droplets, followed by streams of fork oil getting all over my jacket, face, mouth, exhaust..... needless to say I am regretting this purchase. They are coming tomorrow to tow it back to the dealership to fix it under warranty. I might give it another chance. I'm in Wylie and have Sundays free....

Was it the tracks on 544?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

N is for Nipples posted:

Was it the tracks on 544?

You mean the tracks right before Brand road on 544? In the middle lane there's a wonderfully hidden wheelkiller right by those tracks.

Also, love Texas weather forecasting. 2 days ago, high temp was in the mid 70s. now it's in the upper 80s.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Alceste posted:

Anybody going to this? I have an office at the Dell campus nearby so I was thinking of going and working from there the rest of the day. I have never been on a Ninja, though I will look silly in my SUZUKI jacket if I get to ride one. I need a new jacket anyway.

As my work schedule for the day ends at 10am, I will be there. Figure I'll get lunch nearby and wander over.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Alceste posted:

My request to have my Sunday to myself--most of it, anyway--was approved, so I'm in.

Lately I've been riding around 455 / 2933 / 1827 etc. by myself and looking at Ray Roberts from the dam and turning around in Sanger, so something different sounds good to me, but then again I never get sick of looking at lakes. I don't think I've been on the FM4 route yet. Anything is fine with me though.

We did eastbound 455 the last time we went out to the wind farm. It's a pretty awesome road now that it's been refinished. https://trips.furkot.com/ts/94fggp . There's the LBJ National Grasslands just north of Decatur there (not plotted). I've been through some of it and it's pretty rad, but it's likely to make some folks nervous on street bikes.

FM4 is basically a day trip https://trips.furkot.com/ts/NqFJ7F . It was really pretty the last time I went, but that was basically on the first dry day after our huge monsoon season. There's an interesting biker BBQ joint called Loco Coyote just outside Glen Rose that I usually end up detouring for. I would also consider making a detour to http://www.fossilrim.org/, though I've never been.

I have a shorter, like 2 hour, route around Lavon Lake that can easily be extended to cover the northeastern corner of Lake Ray Hubbard. I don't have it plotted though.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I'm actually kinda looking for a few more 'destinations' to put on our trips. I think one of these times we should do a picnic or something. There's a bunch of little spots all over those lakes for that kind of thing.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Well I ordered tires, though I do not know when they will come in. (sometime between the 5th and the 8th meaning I'll miss this weekend at the least.)

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I've been doing some plotting with Chad just now. We're pretty excited about the thought of rolling out to Lake Ray Roberts and grilling some burgers for a picnic. That would make FM455 the de-facto, but hopefully enough of an event to keep it interesting. I need to call them tomorrow and double check on the flooding to make sure that there are places to grill. What do you folks think?

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

kuffs posted:

I've been doing some plotting with Chad just now. We're pretty excited about the thought of rolling out to Lake Ray Roberts and grilling some burgers for a picnic. That would make FM455 the de-facto, but hopefully enough of an event to keep it interesting. I need to call them tomorrow and double check on the flooding to make sure that there are places to grill. What do you folks think?

That sounds awesome, if I can get everything together, I'm all for it... Kuffs, get some parking lot BBQ tomorrow. Us third shifters only get the scraps if there's anything left over at all.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
Pretty area, great weather, familiar road. I'm into it. I don't have much in the way of cargo space to bring stuff, but if there's something I can fit in a tank bag to contribute I'll be happy to.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
I just got a cheap little Sena SMH5 so I can finally listen to music (or books) and navigation and take calls in my helmet. Why the hell did I wait so long? It doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles that the fancier ones do, but this thing is awesome.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

kuffs posted:

I'm totally in for a bbq.

I was going to take my panniers off for the ride, but if we need someone to carry stuff, I can as long as its not too heavy.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
With two GSes, I think we can fit most of it without needing to enlist anyone else. Quick tally says some pre-formed patties, L, T, O, mayo, mustard, ketchup should fit in a cooler strapped to my luggage rack. Probably stuff charcoal and other fire supplies in one of Chad's panniers. Buns, chips, tableware in the other. We can stuff drinks in a cooler on his. I'll go over it with him tonight.

Alceste, does the SMH5 do intercom with the rest of us?

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I just confirmed that the Johnson Branch area is above water and good to go for grilling. I need to get my bike serviced in Denton on Saturday, so I may drop by and scope things out while I'm up there.

Alceste
Dec 5, 2003

Ramrod XTreme
It uses Bluetooth 3.0, which means I supposedly have a 400 meter range and the manual says I can connect with up to three other Senas.

E: okay well I don't know if the range is actually part of the 3.0 specification, but that's what the doco says, anyway.

I have ridden over the dam a few times in the last month and the lake looks fine to me, no signs of flooding, and the little piss of rain we got today shouldn't have changed anything. I haven't actually entered the park though.

Alceste fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 2, 2015

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
The place is empty and there is another hour left. Come ride a Kawasaki.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I got my bike back from the shop yesterday, and it's running a hell of a lot better, but by the time I got back home on my short (less than one mile) jaunt, I could feel and smell the front brakes. Still sticking. :/ I guess I'll have to call them back today and do two more cycles of loading and unloading the thing. Quite inconvenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Here I thought I was all set to go this weekend, my tires came in yesterday and the local shop said they put them on if I showed up first thing in the morning. Yeah, not so much the rear tire is the wrong size, and b more than enough that I just can't throw it on there. (my oem size is a 180/55-17 and I was sent a 160/60-17) I might see if the shop has a rear tire in stock just to get out but I'm not holding mu breath.

• Locked thread