Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The gear raids are almost always very short for me (20-30 minutes) but I'm not sure if that depends on your Motherbase levels or not. They also show up again very quickly, usually within 1-3 missions / side-ops.
Hahaha sorry I needed to clarify further. What I mean is, after raiding helmets for example, how long does my enemy go without helmets? I recognize the map icons being red is a display of how short supplies are, I just wonder how long until those icons go back to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

DaveKap posted:

Hahaha sorry I needed to clarify further. What I mean is, after raiding helmets for example, how long does my enemy go without helmets? I recognize the map icons being red is a display of how short supplies are, I just wonder how long until those icons go back to normal.

It's very temporary. Usually about as long as it takes the missions to come back (1-3 missions / side-ops)

It's a good idea to keep your combat teams deployed as often as possible anyway, since in addition to getting rid of equipment, you get GMP, service medals that boost stats, and it keeps deployed people from being kidnapped in FOB attacks.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I just beat the game and now I'm super bummed. It was so amazing up until I realized that there wasn't anything else, it was just over. :smith:

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Reddit is way more paranoid than here, but there is the matter of the return to camp omega that no one has really mentioned yet. We know that Eli's bit got cut, but the camp omega return hasn't been mentioned much and wasn't listed in any of my rewards for uploading my save. I would imagine it most likely got cut, but we'll see if anyone makes any kind of statement.

At this point I doubt there is anything related to camp omega left in the game. Its gone.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If a materials container is spawned, starting a mission that has that container present can allow you to farm it. Start the mission, Fulton the container, force a checkpoint, and then abort the mission and start it again. This apparently resets the world state and respawns the cargo container. Normally if you steal something during a mission or free roam it takes time for it to come back.

I dunno why you'd do this exactly as eventually you have more resources than you know what to do with as long as you steal them when you can, but it might be useful for Precious Metals farming for GMP or something; there's a Precious Metals container right at the start of Mission 30 and I think a checkpoint right up the road.

Das Butterbrot posted:

why are they not possible to self enforce? dont use any weapons until you picked one up, or is your willpower that low?
It's just annoying to have those items there all the time. You can simulate being unarmed by selecting an empty throwable slot but still. Also weapons on your body may influence your stealth, though that may only apply to Back items; rocket launchers and ballistic shields make you easier to hear and see because of how bulky they are and how much noise they make. I suppose if you wanted to roll with minimal gear you can use the Water Pistol as your Secondary, but I'm not sure what the most useless Hip Primary is short of taking the AK knockoff at grade 1 and just never using it. Maybe one of the smoke launchers? Likewise I suppose you can simulate Perfect Stealth by checkpointing every time you go into Reflex. Not really any way to simulate Extreme short of tanking your own health, but I think Extreme is even harder than that.

It really should've just been a mission modifier, but I guess they needed padding? The fact you can't stack them sucks too, I'm sure the super experts would be all over Extreme+Subsistence+Perfect Stealth.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Fuel becomes a huge bottleneck later in the game, and I find it very unlikely that anyone has enough of it just by picking stuff up as they see it. You need 48k fuel for all but one level 4 platform, plus quite a bit more if you want to upgrade your FOB, and another 75k for a nuke if you are going for that achievement.

I've always had plenty of everything else, but fuel is definitely scarce towards the end.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If that becomes a concern there's probably a couple missions where you can get a lot of Fuel using that trick. Anything that sends you to the Airport should let you steal the NE container stack and flee to checkpoint, and if you start Mission 13 and run up the river you can mail yourself right to the Oilfield, which might let you swipe the 15000 Fuel there and quit out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Nakar posted:

If that becomes a concern there's probably a couple missions where you can get a lot of Fuel using that trick. Anything that sends you to the Airport should let you steal the NE container stack and flee to checkpoint, and if you start Mission 13 and run up the river you can mail yourself right to the Oilfield, which might let you swipe the 15000 Fuel there and quit out.

Yeah, Airport, Oil Fields, and the Mine all have lots of fuel to steal. It's just a minor grind now, whereas it would have been no big deal had I known about it earlier on. I just take cardboard box fast-travel to grab the goods after every few side-ops and it's not really an issue.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Hm, so if you beat Mission 40 (the extreme version of the Quiet boss battle) and bring her back to Mother Base, she shows up back in your brig but isn't in her cell on the Medical Platform and you can't select her as a buddy.

gently caress, if only you could replay every Side Ops. I'd just replay that psuedo-mission where Ocelot's like "she's a weird plant woman, you should be her buddy" again and I bet that would retrigger her buddy status. On the subject, it's bullshit that you can't replay every Side Ops, especially the yellow ones, and can only select the few the game decides you get to replay. I've beaten all the Side Ops, so unless there's some other method of making them available again, it looks like you're limited to only playing 23 of them. 23 out of 157. 7 of which are those lovely target practice missions on Mother Base.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

In It For The Tank posted:

Hm, so if you beat Mission 40 (the extreme version of the Quiet boss battle) and bring her back to Mother Base, she shows up back in your brig but isn't in her cell on the Medical Platform and you can't select her as a buddy.

gently caress, if only you could replay every Side Ops. I'd just replay that psuedo-mission where Ocelot's like "she's a weird plant woman, you should be her buddy" again and I bet that would retrigger her buddy status. On the subject, it's bullshit that you can't replay every Side Ops, especially the yellow ones, and can only select the few the game decides you get to replay. I've beaten all the Side Ops, so unless there's some other method of making them available again, it looks like you're limited to only playing 23 of them. 23 out of 157. 7 of which are those lovely target practice missions on Mother Base.
Just pray to the hacking hack gods that they'll hack her back in for us. I'm certain a simple switch in cheat engine will bring her back from the dead, the problem is finding that switch.

Now that I beat MGS V and feel less necessary to spend every waking minute playing it (not to mention my 10 day vacation just ended) I've been playing Mad Max and... drat... these games are graphical powerhouses proving PC ports can be amazing. I feel really bad for Mad Max because it's actually a fantastic looking, and playing, game that came out at what can only be called "literally the worst time ever." Also, getting used to different control schemes... woof.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Sep 8, 2015

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Unless you see that sex garbage poo poo a mile away when she is laying on the ground at your mercy and the thought crosses your mind about why the gently caress did she have to kill that nice nurse that was changing my bedpan for nine years.

gently caress I stand by my statement that the game would be better with less/no story than what we got so I deeply regret letting Quiet live because cheevos were at stake. Besides everyone knows Diamond Dog is clearly the only buddy for you. If Diamond Walker had an affection meter that would have been close but instead he is just my parasite killer.

I spent my time in the game trying to make it harder because it was too loving easy with everything being solved with a tranq gun and a bionic man sprint punch. That reflex mode should never exist and I had to turn that poo poo off by then end of mission three. They only give you two of those super fun missions where they take away all your items and you gotta gank your way back to the top of the food chain with garbage guns. I just wish they ditched the whole handful of missions with difficulty modifiers and let us do a new game + with Extreme or Total Stealth always on. I am amazed people bitch about the helmets and riot suits when they go down in one punch like everyone else.

Oh yeah did anyone come up with a reason why we didn't get infected by the airborne virus that pointlessly cropped up in the Quarantine platform? I mean we had the same countermeasures as the Diamond dog rescue team and they were all 100% hosed. I don't understand why we needed more poo poo to throw on the pile for the Huey Hate bonanza. They had him pinned for Murder, Spying, Lying and literally being the worst person alive already.

Here let me write better stories in one sentence for MGSV

- You play as "The Boss" during WW2 and fight against Nazi Super Soldiers alongside your Cobra unit gaining the title of "Mother of Special forces". <-- This would be open ended as gently caress to write.
- You play as "Little John" (Raiden's son) when he is in his early 20s and deals with the Super AI that Sunny built to protect humanity but it decides to end the world when it sees all the PMCs rolling around and how much we love war. <--- This would be open ended as gently caress to write.
- You remake Metal Gear 1 and 2 into one game with the Metal Gear being an upgraded ZEKE from Peace Walker and you actually have to fight it this time around. <-- This will allow you to unfuck the foundation of the MGS Storylines.
- You play as "Jetstream Sam".

lol

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

to be fair a full jetstream sam game would be fun as gently caress as long as it was platinum doing it and they kept his taunt fighting

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A Jetstream Sam game could be kind of pointless, given that he has prequel DLC for Rising.

I want to see something involving Gray Fox. Either retcon or do something with his portrayal in Portable Ops and it'd also act as a way to see what the real Big Boss was doing as Venom was building up Diamond Dogs.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If the next MGS game isn't about The Boss and her team fighting nazi death machines then what's even the point?

Or just make a MGR2. That'd also be neat.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kojima has made plenty mistakes, but out of respect to his work I would still not play any mainline Metal Gears made without his consent

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If the next MGS game isn't about The Boss and her team fighting nazi death machines then what's even the point?

Or just make a MGR2. That'd also be neat.

Combine the two.

Cut Nazis in half with bullets while The Sorrow encourages you over radio "YES YES MOW THEM DOWN" and Glenn Miller music plays in the background.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Make it a Dynasty Warriors game.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Is there a timeline on when you unlock Paz talks? I've done like 5 mementos and now she just keeps reading her book. Am at about episode 36?

You have to finish chapter 1 first, I had all the Wandering Soldier side ops by the end of 40.

It's totally worth it though, I think that tapes one of the best in the game.

It's also really cool because the whole situation is one of the few remnants of Venom Snakes original life and personality manifesting itself. The MSF idolized Paz in the old days and he is trying to deal with the guilt he has for failing to save her and give her a shot at an actual peaceful life.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 8, 2015

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Maybe the next game could advance the storyline, instead of just going farther back in the past where there are still all kinds of ties to the other games?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can someone clarify for me, when exactly does Big Boss awaken compared to Venom?
Because from what I can understand, XOF didn't launch their assault on Cyprus until V(enom) came to.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

Can someone clarify for me, when exactly does Big Boss awaken compared to Venom?
Because from what I can understand, XOF didn't launch their assault on Cyprus until V(enom) came to.

It sounded like Big Boss woke up a few days prior to Venom.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It seems that Big Boss is awake pretty earlier than Venom, considering he's not all atrophied and there's a tape where him and Ocelot talk about Venom and their plan, but there really isn't a specific point in time that Big Boss wakes up and there doesn't really need to be one.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

DaveKap posted:

The guide says that the effect lasts for 3 missions and the raids won't come back for 5 missions. I don't know if that just includes main missions or if it includes side op missions too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Buschmaki posted:

Maybe the next game could advance the storyline, instead of just going farther back in the past where there are still all kinds of ties to the other games?

Cuz...post MGS4 and Rising, the storyline is done. All the major players except, like, Raiden, have either retired or are dead. Unless you want a game of the few months of Snake travelling the world with Otacon not fighting Metal Gears.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Why do Snake or Raiden have to be in the game? Make it like Silent Hill (rip) where the game has different sets of characters and locales, but have similar thematic elements or elements that subvert your expectations

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Why do Snake or Raiden have to be in the game? Make it like Silent Hill (rip) where the game has different sets of characters and locales, but have similar thematic elements or elements that subvert your expectations

Yeah, because making up characters out of nowhere has never gone wrong and caused a backlash. Twice.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Johnny has a lot of fight left in him as the new Solid Snake.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Although a family vacation game starring Snake, Otacon, and Sunny would be fun. Make it like Mario Party and the antagonists are Raiden's family.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Yeah, because making up characters out of nowhere has never gone wrong and caused a backlash. Twice.

I don't know what you mean by this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

I don't know what you mean by this.

Raiden and Venom.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Metal Gear Solid VI: A telltale episodic adventure.

You chose to break Eli's arm. He will remember that.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The adventures of Big Boss between MGS3 and MG1 just doing special forces poo poo would make a great game without some weird need to connect it and every character in it to the future games and the stupid sci-fi bullshit.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Harlock posted:

Johnny has a lot of fight left in him as the new Solid Snake.
[Do It (Defecate)]

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Solid Snake as a Green Beret in Desert Storm would be :krad:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I was legitimately surprised Sniper Wolf didn't make it in the game, since BB specificially rescued her in Afghanistan.

I guess the writers forgot too :(

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Raiden and Venom.

The opinions of children should not influence great works.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Children should be seen, not heard, and crushed by pipes.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Buschmaki posted:

The opinions of children should not influence great works.

Yeah, the whole everyone needs to be familiar thing was a pretty lovely thing to include in MGS4.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The whole need to actually 'advance the MGS plot' is the big problem with chapter 2.

Eli is the second worst example- he has absolutely no character development. He just hates everyone and fights them and is just angry and boring as gently caress. I don't know why errybody likes chapter 51 because Eli and Mantis are easily the worst two things about the whole story.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Panzeh posted:

The whole need to actually 'advance the MGS plot' is the big problem with chapter 2.

Eli is the second worst example- he has absolutely no character development. He just hates everyone and fights them and is just angry and boring as gently caress. I don't know why errybody likes chapter 51 because Eli and Mantis are easily the worst two things about the whole story.

Venom Snake should've thrown Eli off Mother Base into the ocean.

Huey too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

That would've been merciful, though. Venom knew the future.

• Locked thread