Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
paleo is based on a truth that adherents promote based on a fallacy instead of strong science - that a lot of the heavily processed foods we eat are bad for us (true to some degree though they would argue ALL foods not just SOME) because we should only eat what our paleolithic ancestors ate (false as we don't know precisely what they actually ate and we keep discovering new things like we ate grains a lot longer than previously realized, humans don't eat a single diet as we are omnivores and can thrive on a variety of foods, and regardless we don't know if what they ate was optimal for long term survival or if it instead just enabled them to survive long enough to ensure the survival of their offspring)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
all i know is that a paleo vs. a vegan would kick the vegans rear end on celebrity deathmatch on MTV brought to you by carl's jr.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OSI bean dip posted:

the ML has calmed down a lot because of slack. you need to speak to someone there to get access to it too so it's very much a walled garden

can we get a bay area goon to do the needful??? i need my do-ocratic drama fix here!

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Heresiarch posted:

CONTRIBUTIONS in the form of drinkable substances, ... greatly encouraged. 
no don't

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

bobbilljim posted:

yeah this is her

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

OSI bean dip posted:

lol someone called the police at noisebridge

the worst part of this is the use of "pinging"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

paleo is based on a truth that adherents promote based on a fallacy instead of strong science - that a lot of the heavily processed foods we eat are bad for us (true to some degree though they would argue ALL foods not just SOME) because we should only eat what our paleolithic ancestors ate (false as we don't know precisely what they actually ate and we keep discovering new things like we ate grains a lot longer than previously realized, humans don't eat a single diet as we are omnivores and can thrive on a variety of foods, and regardless we don't know if what they ate was optimal for long term survival or if it instead just enabled them to survive long enough to ensure the survival of their offspring)

heavily processed foods are fine, the fact that people eat 50x as much as they need to eat is the problem hth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

heavily processed foods are fine, the fact that people eat 50x as much as they need to eat is the problem hth

maybe the reason people overeat processed foods is because they are processed and thus loving delicious and calorie dense hth

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

chemicals

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

maybe the reason people overeat processed foods is because they are processed and thus loving delicious and calorie dense hth

so are non "processed" foods, "processed" is meaningless. anything that's ever been cooked is just as processed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
why eat a balanced diet consisting of a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, meats etc. when you just eat raw calorie paste (available in five fun flavours) and then take supplements to get the other nutrients you're missing out on

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

so are non "processed" foods, "processed" is meaningless. anything that's ever been cooked is just as processed.

this is why you don't have any friends in real life lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yes i used a technically vague but colloquially accepted term that essentially means "foods from which nutritious vitamins, minerals, and fibre are removed and sugar, salt, and fat are added" loving sue me lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

but what about the toxins?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

yes i used a technically vague but colloquially accepted term that essentially means "foods from which nutritious vitamins, minerals, and fibre are removed and sugar, salt, and fat are added" loving sue me lol

so you used a word about a lie made up by idiots. nobody's removing vitamins minerals and fiber to put sugar salt and fat in(other than the fact that most basic forms of cooking happen to break down fiber and cause some vitamins and minerals to denature), also, you're describing most food from forever, humans be putting sugar salt and fat in anything they can for millennia

what don't you get, everything you're talking about is regular rear end cooking for longer than humans have had written language

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
the gmos man, the industry ... processing ... dont you know about toxins? think about the chickens, grass fed NO grains == poison... REAL food.. go vegan, one people, namaste

froward
Jun 2, 2014

by Azathoth

Sniep posted:

all i know is that a paleo vs. a vegan would kick the vegans rear end on celebrity deathmatch on MTV brought to you by carl's jr.

u have my sword

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sniep posted:

the gmos man, the industry ... processing ... dont you know about toxins? think about the chickens, grass fed NO grains == poison... REAL food.. go vegan, one people, namaste

yeah same

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

so you used a word about a lie made up by idiots. nobody's removing vitamins minerals and fiber to put sugar salt and fat in(other than the fact that most basic forms of cooking happen to break down fiber and cause some vitamins and minerals to denature), also, you're describing most food from forever, humans be putting sugar salt and fat in anything they can for millennia

what don't you get, everything you're talking about is regular rear end cooking for longer than humans have had written language

:cripes:

yes i loving get it. my point is it's very difficult to delineate "bad" foods from "good" foods so people resort to vague terms like "junk food" because what the gently caress else are we supposed to do here?

people that go "UH ACTUALLY," about this topic are helping the agenda of assholes that want to sell you lovely non-nutritious high calorie food and it's a useless response to the shitheads at the other end of the spectrum that want to sell you overpriced "health" foods based on vague notions of toxins and gluten and poo poo

jesus loving christ why do i even engage with you?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

why do i feel like i know the guy on the left

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cold on a Cob posted:

:cripes:

yes i loving get it. my point is it's very difficult to delineate "bad" foods from "good" foods so people resort to vague terms like "junk food" because what the gently caress else are we supposed to do here?

people that go "UH ACTUALLY," about this topic are helping the agenda of assholes that want to sell you lovely non-nutritious high calorie food and it's a useless response to the shitheads at the other end of the spectrum that want to sell you overpriced "health" foods based on vague notions of toxins and gluten and poo poo

jesus loving christ why do i even engage with you?

the point is most "bad food" is in fact good, people just stuff too much of all foods in their mouths and pretend it's that darn "bad food"'s fault

see also: people who want to ban soda but see nothing wrong with juice

ps: the food isn't non-nutritious, pretty much no food is non-nutritious.

basically you've been fed a bunch of bullshit by different health fads over the years, and it's all bogus. you need to break free of that poo poo because none of it is based in solid science in the least

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 8, 2015

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

deep impact on vhs posted:

why do i feel like i know the guy on the left

i think we've all met people who were at least superficially similar to any one of the individuals posted

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

Nintendo Kid posted:

pretty much no food is non-nutritious.

You mean I can switch back to wood bark flour! Awesome, sawdust is so much cheaper than wheat!

i joke but seriously the inner bark of pine trees is edible. A little gross though, if you eat it raw its all fibrous and you basically have to chew and suck, then spit out the wood fibers and eat the next piece. Flavor was a very mild, piney taste. Apparently some people find it more palatable if cooked or ground into flour then baked into bread. Protip if you find yourself in a famine. Caloric value is something like 600 Calories/pound and the trees take forever to grow back so it isn't the greatest plan. Maybe that'll be the next fad. Famine diets. A surefire way to lose weight.

Yeah man its a question of if you're optimizing for nutrition (which does literally mean fat salt and sugar) or satiety (in which case you are better off slowly chewing salads and tofu stir-fries and berries).

Or cost, i guess, which is a pretty big part of the equation. Really probably the most important part of the equation, and the fact that we can even sit here and debate which foods are best to eat is a triumph of agricultural surplus. Hail wheat, rice and corn subsidies satan.

Cold on a Cob posted:

my point is it's very difficult to delineate "bad" foods from "good" foods so people resort to vague terms like "junk food" because what the gently caress else are we supposed to do here?

lol the nutritional contents of food are literally printed on the packaging. Just decide what you want to optimize for, make a plan and do it. Then don't gently caress it up by deciding you want pizza on day 25 8 of your new diet. Just go to /fit/ or bodybuilding.com or /r/fitness etc. and copy the diet of successful people if you are lazy.

Keldoclock fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 8, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
please tell me more about eating wood

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

the point is most "bad food" is in fact good, people just stuff too much of all foods in their mouths and pretend it's that darn "bad food"'s fault

see also: people who want to ban soda but see nothing wrong with juice

ps: the food isn't non-nutritious, pretty much no food is non-nutritious.

basically you've been fed a bunch of bullshit by different health fads over the years, and it's all bogus. you need to break free of that poo poo because none of it is based in solid science in the least

juice is bad too because it is processed to the point where you get all of the sugar, a fraction of the vitamins, and none of the fibre of (approx) 5 loving oranges in a single cup of oj. that is way too much sugar in a single serving. many heavily processed foods only manage to avoid being non-nutritious because we add vitamins back in to prevent loving rickets in people that live off of bread and cereal, but please continue to believe that (for example) the differences between polished white rice and regular rice are moot.

quote:

Don't post poo poo like this like you don't realize there's room for a range of opinions on the issue. It's either intentionally inflammatory or you don't understand how to communicate with humans. User loses posting privileges for 1 week.

or just get probated for being a loving braindead idiot incapable of communicating like a human being, lol

ok sorry for the derail i wouldn't have responded except fishmech got probated so i couldn't resist

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
shut up about paleo you morons. this is worse than a food hacking discussion

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

i typically hack my food with a knife

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
someone please carefully tap the poop enough to get on the noisebridge slack, thx

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

please tell me more about eating wood
it is as exciting as engaging fishmech

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Nintendo Kid posted:

nobody's removing vitamins minerals and fiber to put sugar salt and fat in

I am :twisted:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

vitamins aren't removed from food you dolts, the equipment to do so would be expensive for zero economic gain

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
oh ffs really?

i was ready to let this go but here are three examples of food processing that do alter the nutritional content of foods:

blanching - leaches both vitamins and minerals from food
milling - removes minerals from food
extrusion - ditto

look up polished white rice and fortification if you want to learn more

hope this helps now shut the gently caress up and i'm sorry again for contributing to the derail

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

workin all day in the mcdonalds pulling the lever on the machine that takes out all the vitamins and replaces them with hitler's ashes

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

shut up. i'll re-open this when NB does something interesting or a yosposter gets on slack.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Hey folks,

An idea that's been floating around in my head recently is how to fill
our nice blank white walls with awesome local art.

Offering a space / canvas isn't enough of an incentive (it's like asking
someone for work for publicity only), but it'd be really neat if
Noisebridge could offer small grants to local artists in exchange for
mural artwork.

No idea how much this would cost, or even if anyone would take us up on
it, but think it's an idea worth exploring.

Anyone done this before with other groups? Would love to hear your
experience.

cheers,

p

who wants to make some art for noisebridge

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i'll bring the laxatives!

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

can't they find some local tagger to make them a cool mural for free? what the gently caress kinda hackers are these people

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

SmokaDustbowl posted:

can't they find some local tagger to make them a cool mural for free? what the gently caress kinda hackers are these people

you already know the answer to this, which is why we read this thread :buddy:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

They had a local tagger. She stencilled the pavement outside Noisebridge and the city fined them for every day the stencil was there. The mailing list spent weeks discussing the best way to remove the stencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

We got a local artist to do a spraypaint mural outside out entrance, its pretty fuckin alright (its also indoors and not on the fuckin sidewalk lol). Also have a giant chalkboard wall to left upon entering

• Locked thread