Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

drat :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
you actually reminded me of the preenfm2's existence; i've been wanting to pick up a kit for a while, and they were serendipitously in stock when i went and checked :v:

now i feel bad though :(

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

:catdrugs:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Can someone tell me how to direct the aliens to my house please?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Radiapathy posted:

My main deal with MIDI Quest is that it just doesn't work like any application I've ever used. (Even other patch librarians like I used to have on the Atari years ago.)

It takes ages just to learn how MIDI Quest "thinks." But when you get down to it, in my experience, it eventually works. Although results can vary by synth, because not all of them have particularly robust SysEx features or MIDI performance.

I never got the VST integration thing to work at all though. But as a standalone editor it did work, and was the only thing I could find that had solutions for ALL of my vintage programmable synths.

I broke down and bought it and... Yeah. From a usability standpoint it's an absolute dinosaur, and bits and pieces are falling off as he's using an API which was meant to help transition from OS 9 and has been deprecated since 2012 at least. Drag and drop doesn't work in Mavericks and he doesn't sound like he wants to move on, the AU is 32-bit and there's other assorted wonkiness. Hell, the wait cursor is the black-and-white spinner from System 6.

But... The hardware side works, and works well. One-click patch auditioning, getting individual patches out of a bank is easy enough (tho it needs a batch function) and it does have a D-50 editor even if the GUI is Arturia levels of tiny.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Finally replaced the battery in my SQ80. Now I need to track down a CEM 3360 and/or 3379 for a failing voice.

May god have mercy on my patience and wallet.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Hi everyone,

I asked in the small questions thread but you might have a better idea here.

I'm interested in a little or mini keyboard that can let me record and assign loops, sort of as a way to make music with a few instruments on the spot with nothing more than my grasp of music theory and some creativity. Are those midi controllers with the pad what I'm looking for? I'd prefer it to be standalone and not require a PC/software, but I don't know if this exists.

I guess I could always get a looper pedal or something for a keyboard but I like the idea of playing a lick, assigning it to a nice big pad or something, and being able to turn that loop on and off to sorta compose and perform at the same time.

What exactly is the name for this hypothetical keyboard? I'm sure they exist, right? Sorry for my total ignorance surrounding synths.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

KingSlime posted:

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in a little or mini keyboard that can let me record and assign loops, sort of as a way to make music with a few instruments on the spot with nothing more than my grasp of music theory and some creativity. Are those midi controllers with the pad what I'm looking for? I'd prefer it to be standalone and not require a PC/software, but I don't know if this exists.

I guess I could always get a looper pedal or something for a keyboard but I like the idea of playing a lick, assigning it to a nice big pad or something, and being able to turn that loop on and off to sorta compose and perform at the same time.

What exactly is the name for this hypothetical keyboard? I'm sure they exist, right? Sorry for my total ignorance surrounding synths.

A sampler? I know Korg has a few options - I like the Electribe ESX but it's more of a step sequencer and less of a keyboard, but if you find one used I think it offers the most bang for your buck.

The Octatrack seems to be the be all and end all for samplers but I can't speak from experience and it carries the price tag to match.

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 8, 2015

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

KingSlime posted:

Hi everyone,

An OP-1, perhaps?

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

good jovi posted:

An OP-1, perhaps?

I have one and I love it to death but it seems less conducive to real-time looping as KingSlime seems to be looking for. If you wanted to record a bunch of samples into a device and sit on the couch with it and play around, I'd recommend it over all others. But if you're looking for quick and easy live-looping while playing over it, I'd probably recommend something more like the Octotrack (from what I know of it).

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 8, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

See, on paper the Akai MPX16 would have been right for the job, but in practice it's evidently made by the same guys that brought us the rhythm wolf, so...

Also thought the new electribe sampler maybe, but I don't know if the workflow lends itself to just triggering loops.

After that I had trouble coming up with anything current.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I'd say the electribe 2 and electribe 2 sampler can do what you're talking about, but there are some workflow quibbles about them. They are exactly the same hardware with different software, and different emphasis. The electribe has a bunch of digital and virtual analog oscillators, and the rest of its 512 static 'oscillators' are PCM samples you can't change. It has 5 filter models. The electribe 2 sampler only has 16 synth oscillators and one filter model, but you can replace all the stock PCM garbage with your own samples. Plus it does slicing and re-sampling as well. It works pretty well with single-cycle samples too.

With both, the workflow is the same. It's got 16 pads which trigger parts by default, but can be used as a keyboard. You can pick a scale and each pad will represent one of the degrees of that scale, and you can shift octaves however you like. The pads have velocity sensitivity, but it sucks so a lot of owners turn it off and edit velocity with the step editor. There is also a trick to input the notes with Step Jump and the touch pad or an external keyboard - I do the latter. But if you want to record 4 bars, then play another 4 bars on another part, and build a pattern that way, you can do that. Korg seemed to be going for that, actually. Sequencing drums is easier than playing them live but people do that too.

If you are looking for a musical sketch pad, the electribes can do that, and spit out the base sounds you generated to Ableton, too. They have some limitations people don't like, and quirks and bugs too. They are not the best synthesizer/sampler, sequencer, or drum machine there is but they do all of those things (depending on model) decently well.

For $400.

EDIT: They run on batteries too.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Sep 9, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

KingSlime posted:

Hi everyone,

You need a sampler, you don't need a keyboard. Get a second hand Akai MPC, probably an mpc-1000. Should be cheap and readily available, just look on craigslist for dudes who wanted to try being djs/rap producers and who gave up after a week, the world is loving full of them.

If you have an iPad, use that instead because you really won't need any additional hardware except maybe an audio in box.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
EMW's new module is a d-beam I guess. Wave your hands in the air like you just do not care.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
Anyone going to Knobcon?

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Hmm, synthesizer cons... I've heard of Moogfest (I have relatives in and around Asheville) but not that one.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Has anyone been before? Is it worth the $40 just to buy diy kits in person?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
there's a little more to it than that. i really wanted to go last year:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Where is this from?

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

there's a little more to it than that. i really wanted to go last year:

Sorry, I meant Knobcon. It doesn't have nearly that lineup.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Moog is doing a eurorack thing :dance:

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Tayter Swift posted:

Moog is doing a eurorack thing :dance:

$600 for a full voice + 32 patch points and built in sequencer? :circlefap:

RIP In Peace my dollars....

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
Yeah for double post!

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Werkstat with a sequencer probably. Weird to have a no photos/video policy at knobcon.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Pittsburgh Modular responded by jacking the price of their System 10.1 up 25% :waycool:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I have an opportunity to buy an MS-20 Kit, brand new, for $599 CDN. Knowing that the Patchblocks makes an excellent CV source / processor, I'm having a hard time saying no.

My biggest hurdle is that I once tried an MS-20 Mini at a local music store and it was pretty noisy, like -85dB.

I suspect it was because it was a display piece that got dusty, but I would hate to think that it was a feature of being ~~~analog~~~. I use headphones all the time and have really sensitive hearing, so noise is something of a bugbear for me.

MS-20 - noisy by design?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Most analog synths are. Tape hiss used to hide a lot. Grab a furman noise gate and party like it's 1981.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah my Mini is noisy as gently caress when the filter is closed down.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Welp, somebody came out with a hack to swap the OS's on the electribes on KorgForums:

It does appear to be glitchy and not 100% since what stored in the ROM of the 2 devices is not exactly the same, but pretty darn close.

I'm not going to do it because I have both.

Also, lol at James Pullen. Korg picked a lousy rep, he should have never flapped his gums about this being possible.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
"We swear to god that there is some magic inside these machines that make them ~~~musical instruments~~~ and not just computers." -- Digital Synth Manufacturers

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Swapping ROMs in E-MU boxes, button combos on those old roland rack FX, ain't nothing new.

e- and with posts like that sluggo won't be their rep too much longer

Startyde fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 14, 2015

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

please respect the craft~

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Looks like my SQ-80 voice intermittency is a power supply problem. It only seems to occur at cold boot, as does mild display flicker. Once the unit warms up, everything is perfect.

Now, to fix it before I burn out the expensive parts.

E: The filters also get into really good tune when warm! You can actually watch it improve through the tuning procedure.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 14, 2015

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Yeah my Mini is noisy as gently caress when the filter is closed down.

If you have the tabletop version you can switch between the 1st and 2nd version of the filter. The 1st is horribly noisy, and that's the one in the mini. In the kit you can install the 2nd which is OK.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

please respect the craft~

the craft of not rolling out bugfixes

we have to sell a mkII some day

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Check it guys, a Furthrrrr for sale http://www.ronnypries.de/blog/for-sale-endorphin-es-furthrrrr-generator-eurorack-vco/

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Aaaaaaaaaaaand MORE ROLAND LOW LIGHT WOBBLE CAM.

http://www.roland.com/promos/roland_boutique

Look like Polyphonic AIRAs. But different colours means they probably only do one keyboard at a a time. Might go for the Jupiter 8.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Just wait until someone figures out how to do a firmware swap on those...

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Roland please re-release your grooveboxes, that is all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Roland please re-release your grooveboxes, that is all

TR-8?