Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Do you think Ocelot ever let Liquid live down that time he totally whipped his rear end in front of his (not) dad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Using Huey's leg supports to bend his leg the wrong way was god-drat brutal, though. I was hoping he'd just hand Ocelot the remote and SNAP

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Using Huey's leg supports to bend his leg the wrong way was god-drat brutal, though. I was hoping he'd just hand Ocelot the remote and SNAP
Miller being a hardcore motherfucker was pretty much the best part of the game. Like that's the emotion of a man consumed entirely by revenge, you do not gently caress with him. And he didn't have all his limbs while doing it. The one-handed CQC disarm and stump-assisted weapon unloading was a high point of the cutscenes.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nakar posted:

Miller being a hardcore motherfucker was pretty much the best part of the game. Like that's the emotion of a man consumed entirely by revenge, you do not gently caress with him. And he didn't have all his limbs while doing it. The one-handed CQC disarm and stump-assisted weapon unloading was a high point of the cutscenes.

Miller was a fine example of how to depict seething anger without being dumb like Eli.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Metal Gear Solid V: The Twin Snakes.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Speaking of miller, my personal canon is that after being played like a drat fiddle by big boss, old "Mcdonell" continues to embezzle military budget into millers maxie buns and spreads the Big Burg across the world.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP
Big Boss going with the Venom Snake plan actually makes sense - Every time he starts making his nation of soldiers, some assholes gently caress with him : Gene (Portable Ops is still semi-canon I guess), Galvez, Cipher, then Skullface actually goes on the offensive and knocks him into a coma robbing him of 9 years. What's stupid is that Venom Snake's Outer Heaven actually succeeds in getting realized way before Big Boss's.

Plus if Venom Snake/'Big Boss' wasn't as huge an rear end in a top hat as we thought (since this game would probably be THE game to show off child soldiers and atrocities which didn't really happen apparently?), Solid Snake was basing his perception of Big Boss in MG2 off of the mostly reasonable Venom Snake he met in MG1 (The Big Boss that saved all he could of the child soldiers/refugees/resistance/etc and allowed them to participate in the building of Outer Heaven 2.0, and gave the people he captured a choice of following him) even though Solid Snake's leaders bombed and killed a shitload of injured and innocent people from the remnants, Solid Snake wasn't just an unwitting tool of the patriots, he was a huge rear end in a top hat.

Shitty Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 8, 2015

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm ready for a giant Big Boss vs an army of Cordyceps Zombie Soldiers like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare

Tamayachi fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 8, 2015

OhGreatAGinger
Oct 10, 2012
Okay so I've scanned through the wiki articles, and I've taken a lose gander through this thread, and I still have no loving idea what the gently caress is going on. Mind you, I don't have MGSV, and the last game I played was 3.

Here's what I think I might possibly know:

1. In MGSV you don't play Big Boss, you play some random rear end medic out of nowhere plastic surgeoned as Big Boss who there-after somehow is just as super-soldier mega-commando cool as the original(though apparently no-one thinks to start a Les Enfants Randomassmedics program). Also, he might/is be the Big Boss you fight in the original metal gear games thereby ensuring that the inevitable remakes of those games will be pulling off such amazing plot gymnastics that playing it will tear a small hole in the space-time continuum. The REAL Big Boss is off doing something you don't care about.

2. Skull face man is angry because he was born in a Hungarian explosion and has a not-yet-nano virus he wants to spill on people so he can turn the whole world into Hungary.

3. The reds built metal gear rex back in the eighties just to make the whole plot of MGSI even more pointless than every other MGS has made it, and evil navy seals stole it.

4. Liquid snake is a super commando baby who steals the stolen soviet metal gear eventually in an effort to wink to MGSI players so hard that the game's eyelids overlap and then fully enclose its eyeball.

5. "I'm totally not Hal Emerich my name is Huey" built a robot battle suit in the 1980's that somehow wasn't used again by anyone in the entire world.

6. Nobody's punched Ocelot in his stupid face yet.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
From what I recall hearing, the real Big Boss was off to make Zanzibar Land while Venom is creating Mother Base because I thought I remember Ocelot saying the real boss is off to make his Nation of Soldiers. I agree though, Zero should just have had a facility of 9 year coma patients being hypnofucked into being Big Bosses as well, though that might cause a problem down the line with Will the Real Big Boss Please Stand Up. And then you have a bunch of angry fake bosses with identity issues causing a global war with nukes. Basically the FoB system we have now.

OhGreatAGinger posted:

gently caress you Ocelot is the best.

Zak2k12
Dec 23, 2008

"I looked back once to the empty place where my dream had come true. Such is the stuff."

Tamayachi posted:

gently caress you Ocelot is the best.

Well... he's pretty good.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You didn't play the game ao you don't understand, the medic is a stand-in for the player, sorta like Raiden. Instead of rejecting the llayer's control, though, it's more of a meta-commentary about how the players and fanbase of MGS are the ones who built up this legend around Big Boss, as you are the one playing the game. It's more about how throughout the series, even though these people have accomplished impossible things it was only possible because of the MGS fanbase and it's more Kojima thanking you for playing his games.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
"I read the plot summary to Citizen Kane and Rosebud is the sled??? Why didn't the journalist just check in the basement???" You have to experience a work of fiction to truly understand it, and not just read someone else's summary of it, retard.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Also, almost every single point in your list is wrong.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So when would have Ocelot unhypnotized himself to remember that the real Big Boss was somewhere else? Should I assume it is sometime after the game? Also when did he hypnotize himself? When you went and rescued Miller? Though when would the conversation with Miller about taking sides take place. It seemed like it was from before the game.

This one stupid thing is really bothering me plot wise.

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

Ethiser posted:

So when would have Ocelot unhypnotized himself to remember that the real Big Boss was somewhere else? Should I assume it is sometime after the game? Also when did he hypnotize himself? When you went and rescued Miller? Though when would the conversation with Miller about taking sides take place. It seemed like it was from before the game.

This one stupid thing is really bothering me plot wise.

He knows and doesn't know at the same time, doublethink.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Buschmaki posted:

Also, almost every single point in your list is wrong.

The Eli plot thread is pretty weak, which is understandable as it's unfinished.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
That is a fair point, one that I didn't recognize as it said Liquid, and not Eli.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

OhGreatAGinger posted:

Okay so I've scanned through the wiki articles, and I've taken a lose gander through this thread, and I still have no loving idea what the gently caress is going on. Mind you, I don't have MGSV, and the last game I played was 3.

Here's what I think I might possibly know:

1. In MGSV you don't play Big Boss, you play some random rear end medic out of nowhere plastic surgeoned as Big Boss who there-after somehow is just as super-soldier mega-commando cool as the original(though apparently no-one thinks to start a Les Enfants Randomassmedics program). Also, he might/is be the Big Boss you fight in the original metal gear games thereby ensuring that the inevitable remakes of those games will be pulling off such amazing plot gymnastics that playing it will tear a small hole in the space-time continuum. The REAL Big Boss is off doing something you don't care about.

2. Skull face man is angry because he was born in a Hungarian explosion and has a not-yet-nano virus he wants to spill on people so he can turn the whole world into Hungary.

3. The reds built metal gear rex back in the eighties just to make the whole plot of MGSI even more pointless than every other MGS has made it, and evil navy seals stole it.

4. Liquid snake is a super commando baby who steals the stolen soviet metal gear eventually in an effort to wink to MGSI players so hard that the game's eyelids overlap and then fully enclose its eyeball.

5. "I'm totally not Hal Emerich my name is Huey" built a robot battle suit in the 1980's that somehow wasn't used again by anyone in the entire world.

lmao why arent you just playing the game nobody cares about your fanfiction

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
This thread has shown me that anyone who is heavily critical of MGSV's plot probably also have severe mental problems.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

This thread has shown me that anyone who is heavily critical of MGSV's plot probably also have severe mental problems.

so if I'm slightly critical of MGSV's plot i only have slight mental problems??

lfield
May 10, 2008
The series has an incredibly stupid plot with awful characters and dreadful writing, but every game is really good.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Minorkos posted:

so if I'm slightly critical of MGSV's plot i only have slight mental problems??

You are ok, but if you write multiple-paragraph declarations about how a game you haven't played has a terrible plot and you could so it better, well... As Kaz says, "They need their heads checked trying to take us on!"

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

lfield posted:

The series has an incredibly stupid plot with awful characters and dreadful writing, but every game is really good.

It's like a quality of it's own at this point. Nobody else could do it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Tell me what's good about it then. Without resorting to the words "you just didn't get it man, it's just like MGS 2" when MGS 2's was much better executed and far less predictable. A lot of people who otherwise love the game think the plot has major problems but don't think it's a big enough flaw to bring the game down.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I already talked about why I liked it. 😠😡😤😤 Read the thread, dude.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The plot isn't like MGS2's at all and just because they have a similar twist it doesn't mean that they're the same, or trying to tell the same story.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
MGS2 deals with how information control and the subtle manipulation of events can influence the public consciousness and the nature of free will, MGSV is about dealing with loss and the nature of revenge, with Big Boss going against his principle ideal to get his revenge on Zero and the world that Zero has set up and the world feels has betrayed him. Smdh.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

lovely Wizard posted:

Big Boss going with the Venom Snake plan actually makes sense - Every time he starts making his nation of soldiers, some assholes gently caress with him : Gene (Portable Ops is still semi-canon I guess), Galvez, Cipher, then Skullface actually goes on the offensive and knocks him into a coma robbing him of 9 years. What's stupid is that Venom Snake's Outer Heaven actually succeeds in getting realized way before Big Boss's.

Plus if Venom Snake/'Big Boss' wasn't as huge an rear end in a top hat as we thought (since this game would probably be THE game to show off child soldiers and atrocities which didn't really happen apparently?), Solid Snake was basing his perception of Big Boss in MG2 off of the mostly reasonable Venom Snake he met in MG1 (The Big Boss that saved all he could of the child soldiers/refugees/resistance/etc and allowed them to participate in the building of Outer Heaven 2.0, and gave the people he captured a choice of following him) even though Solid Snake's leaders bombed and killed a shitload of injured and innocent people from the remnants, Solid Snake wasn't just an unwitting tool of the patriots, he was a huge rear end in a top hat.

Well Outer Heaven isn't really Big Boss's dream. It ends up just being a crazy dictator locking himself up in a nuclear-armed fortress with a bunch of fanatical soldiers.

Zanzibar Land is a much more ambitious dream - the real Big Boss doesn't just want to hide out in some fortress or on some ocean base - he wants a legitimate nation of soldiers, one that is recognized and feared and doesn't have to hide in the shadows from Cipher.

The ending cinematic is meant to imply that Venom is pretty disillusioned with being Big Boss by the end. He's just a worn-out husk that has been used as a tool by the one man who said he would never, ever do that, and the "legend" of Big Boss has very likely been tarnished in his eyes (this kind of links to MGS1, where Snake tells Meryl that she'll "land back on her feet" after she realizes what kind of person he really is). Kaz takes up with him at some point and is probably just whispering poison in his ear the entire time, until eventually he snaps and tries to take the world hostage and you end up with MG1.

Hardflip
Jul 21, 2007

Give me an MGS6 where you play from both Big Boss and Solid's POV please

Finish Eli's plot and start the formation of MGS1's FOXHOUND, have Solid kill Venom, watch Big Boss set up Zanzibarland and then have one big showdown

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

They basically wanted their own personal fanfic made real and big boss to crawl out of their tvs like the girl from the ring and say "kept you waiting huh" and start sucking their dicks

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

MGS2 deals with how information control and the subtle manipulation of events can influence the public consciousness and the nature of free will, MGSV is about dealing with loss and the nature of revenge, with Big Boss going against his principle ideal to get his revenge on Zero and the world that Zero has set up and the world feels has betrayed him. Smdh.

No you're revealed to be playing someone else halfway through so actually it's a 100% carbon copy of MGS2 just worse in every way and furthermore :rant:

Under the vegetable posted:

They basically wanted their own personal fanfic made real and big boss to crawl out of their tvs like the girl from the ring and say "kept you waiting huh" and start sucking their dicks

You don't want this?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh dear. It appears that suppressors count as ammo for the bandanna.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I already talked about why I liked it. 😠😡😤😤 Read the thread, dude.

So you liked the gratuitous retcons of not only the MSX games, but MGS 3 and 4 as well over what really happened during Snake Eater and Big Boss and Zero were never really at war after all? You liked the parasites being the new nanomachines and Mantis being a God who exists only to drive the plot forward but otherwise his inclusion does nothing meaningful to the game? A criticism that can also be applied to Eli for that matter? You like Skull Face's plan goes to hell as soon as someone points out that written language is a thing? You like the thing that will make you ashamed of your words and deeds towards Quiet dressing half-naked being that she's photosynthetic and clothes would burn her, despite The End also being photosynthetic in MGS 3 and can wear clothes just fine? You like the complete lack of spoken dialogue from Venom, some of which was seemingly cut? These things are issues with the story that aren't even related to the twist that Venom was a medic from MSF. The one thing the story did really well was Huey. It didn't deviate from his character as presented in Peace Walker but did a great job in showing what a pathetic, sociopathic piece of poo poo he is, the kind of person who is absolutely vindictive enough to try and take his stepdaughter with him in a suicide attempt.

The gameplay is great, though repeating missions from the first half over again tests that. But people do have very legit criticisms of the story and to say people are mentally ill for having those issues is really stupid.

Buschmaki posted:

You clearly didn't see all the tapes. Big Boss no longer has any problems with Zero anymore. It was Zero who suggested to Big Boss to use Venom as a decoy in the first place to protect him. The game absolutely would be better if Big Boss went against his ideals as revenge against Zero, but that never happens in the game.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Buschmaki posted:

We probably wouldn't be if this game had a single boss fight. I beat sally by launching a full salvo of rockets into his dick. The girl-skulls were easily snipe-able once you got out of their vision, the male skulls, while terrifying, feels more like a gank squad from dark souls than it does a boss fight. Stand next to a water tower and shoot the red barrel when invulnerable Volgin gets close. Quiet's fight could have been replaced with 12 snipers who took turns firing at you from different positions and it'd still be piss easy.

Unfinished ending, cut content, insufferable characters, characters that came from literally no where.

"OH SKULL FACE? YEAH HE WAS THERE DURING SNAKE EATER MAKING SURE YOU GOT YOUR poo poo DONE. NO WE DIDN'T THINK ABOUT THIS WHEN MAKING MGS3, THE REMAKE OR EVEN THE 3DS VERSION"

Who the gently caress cares you had your language stolen from you? You're some weird dude with a cowboy fetish. I think he's just pissed we're keeping ocelot to ourselves to prevent Brokeback Mountain: Solid Snakes.

Quiet being a loving mongoloid who can't even finger paint to save her life.

Emmerich literally being worse than that autistic kid who always wanted you to come over and play Bugsy 3D.

Kaz is a huge whiney baby about everything. Ocelot is pretty cool except for his unexplained cowboy fetish. :ocelot:

The lack of an actual CODEC system also takes away from the feel of a MGS. Just buzz and hope someone talks about what you're looking at.

Though I'll give them props for the Paz scene, only because I know a bunch of basement dwellers actually gave a poo poo if she survived, in which Kojima just laughs in their face at the end.

The environments are wide open areas of sand, dirt and shacks. Not the most visually pleasing, but it does work well with the new engine.

I like the game, but as a Canadian who already upgraded her video card a year ago, I feel justified to think it was poorly written for a MGS game when I had to shell out $75 for TPP and MGS:GZ when I already owned the loving prologue. Which itself was just a loving $25 tech-demo.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Phase 2 of Skull Face's plan was to cause the Parasites to evolve to the point where if you read or thought in English they would cause your brain to explode. Sadly, the rise of L33Tspeak in the early 2000's would counteract this.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If that's true, then why is Big Boss starting a nation outside of Zero or Cipher's control composed of soldiers loyal only to him? Skull Faces plan makes sense because written language won't do poo poo on a battlefield where you need real-time updates on tactical information, which necessitates that people are speaking, as a casette tape points out. Mantis exists as a thematic device which shows that hatred and rage can not only consume you, but those around you as well, so he doesn't need a character. I don't care if it retcons games made 30 years ago.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I'm about to blow the doors open on Quiet in my next post, I didn't ignore that point so get ready.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Tamayachi posted:

It's like a quality of it's own at this point. Nobody else could do it.

I someone call it "Terrible in the best way possible", which is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The plot of Metal Gear is from an objective standpoint bad, but the sheer passion and love crafted into it makes you forget that and easily accept nanoparasites.

• Locked thread