Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BurritoJustice posted:

TPU was the site that put out the first FuryX voltage scaling review, showing how much of a loving disaster overvolting is on the card. But I didn't see that as bias, it was a point of wild speculation and the results surely spoke for themselves.

Blasphemy, no more review units for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They weren't just the first to review Fijis voltage scaling, TPUs W1zzard is the guy who reverse engineered the i2c interface and made it possible to test at all.

He did AMDs job for them then got poo poo on when the end result was unfavorable.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

TPU really does make the best GPU reviews in the business so it is a loving baffling choice by AMD. Even on AMD's subreddit, the largest remaining bastion of fanatical AMD fans, there is unilateral hatred towards this move from AMD.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

r/advancedmicrodevices is the current one.

Whatever dumb drama they got themselves into appears to have reversed. They're back in r/AMD.

If the full name reddit sticks around for a more discussion oriented forum compared to the usual circlejerk I'd say their dumb was a little less dumb than it probably is.

Also AMD is really trying to bury itself here. Someone says it every time this poo poo happens, but, buyout incoming?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Don Lapre posted:

The site they dont think will give them a fair review gave the other furys a 9.2 and 9.3

That's what kills me about the situation - if you go to the TPU article linked in the Twitter feed, there are a bunch of positive Furx Nano/Fury X reviews linked right at the bottom. Agreed that TPU has done really good, unbiased reporting but this garbage with AMD is unnecessary and will only hurt them in the long run. I know I don't trust a vendor that won't provide review samples due to either wanting to hide information or being petty about past negative reviews.

Durinia
Sep 26, 2014

The Mad Computer Scientist
Whether or not AMD is intentionally showing up TPU at this point is mostly moot.

Because it's a stupid move regardless of if it was intentional or not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Durinia posted:

Whether or not AMD is intentionally showing up TPU at this point is mostly moot.

Because it's a stupid move regardless of if it was intentional or not.

Well, they said it was intentional so.....

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you have a good product, you should want TPU to review it. They're thoughtful and high-credibility. If you only have one GPU review sample, they should probably get it.

Bizarre.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
It turns out there's a microcode bug on Intel Skylake desktop processors that results in a 1-3% performance loss with dedicated GPUs. This will be fixed via a BIOS update, which should help with the performance gap between Broadwell and Skylake. Broadwell + eDRAM with DDR3 is still faster than Skylake + DDR4, but at least the gap shouldn't be as noticeable for gaming workloads now. I wish they'd launch Skylake + eDRAM :(

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Alereon posted:

It turns out there's a microcode bug on Intel Skylake desktop processors that results in a 1-3% performance loss with dedicated GPUs. This will be fixed via a BIOS update, which should help with the performance gap between Broadwell and Skylake. Broadwell + eDRAM with DDR3 is still faster than Skylake + DDR4, but at least the gap shouldn't be as noticeable for gaming workloads now. I wish they'd launch Skylake + eDRAM :(
i7-5775c turned out to be too good for Intel to sell for under $500, so you're not going to see anything like that until Kaby Lake Plus Plus

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i7-5775c turned out to be too good for Intel to sell for under $500, so you're not going to see anything like that until Kaby Lake Plus Plus
Yeah when you try to sell last-year's CPUs as your new enthusiast high-end platform, it's pretty hard not to have the current generation cannibalize sales unless you hamstring it.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 8, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Yeah, I really want a 5775C myself over Skylake. That ridiculous frametime consistency delivered by that giant cache..

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Alereon posted:

I'll be interested to see what the numbers look like when someone does a review with that FCLK fix and DDR4 scaling/OCing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, I really want a 5775C myself over Skylake. That ridiculous frametime consistency delivered by that giant cache..
I have a 4790K that heats up real fast so doesn't OC well, I like to entertain the notion of delidding it to improve thermal contact, though now part of me is also considering a Broadwell drop-in replacement. Not like the incremental performance difference is worth the effort of either for anything I do, but still...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
An eleven dollar tube of liquid ultra is cheaper than a broadwell cpu that costs as much as a 5930k

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Alereon posted:

I have a 4790K that heats up real fast so doesn't OC well, I like to entertain the notion of delidding it to improve thermal contact, though now part of me is also considering a Broadwell drop-in replacement. Not like the incremental performance difference is worth the effort of either for anything I do, but still...

I've got the 4690K and recently did a re-paste on the IHS and H100i waterblock. Used some Arctic MX-4 since I wanted paste that was non-conductive, put a small line on the CPU die itself under the IHS and did the "blob in the center" method between the block and IHS. When I first set my PC up I clocked to 4.2 and it was idling in the mid to high 40s, more recently I tweaked my settings and after the re-paste I'm getting mid 30s idle with a bump to 4.3 on the chip and some voltage tweaks. Definitely worth the de-lidding to drop things down a solid 10+ degrees during idle/load, I stress tested with IBT on very high settings and it ran through like a champ, barely broke the low 80s under stress.

I was extremely careful and used the razor blade method, used online videos to "guesstimate" where the CPU die would be centered, and very very gradually cut the adhesive off. After that, it's just a matter of removing the leftover adhesive, cleaning the old thermal paste, and applying what you want. I used Arctic Silver 5 initially but was concerned about it being conductive (especially under the IHS with the exposed traces near the core) and it's about the same as MX-4 performance-wise, with the benefit of not being as thick or difficult to spread.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 8, 2015

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

BTW once you get a slit in a corner you can use a thin plastic card to do the rest

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I had no idea delidding was a thing. That's hardcore.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Germstore posted:

I had no idea delidding was a thing. That's hardcore.

Its great in a way, its fairly easy and can give you a huge temperature drop (I got 20 degrees across the board with a 4670k) for $10. The sad part is it could have been done correctly at the factory. Knowing that, somehow Intel only managed to half fix the issue for Devil's Canyon despite that being one of the largest selling points and the issue itself being fairly trivial (glue height)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Is there even a place to reliably buy 5775Cs? Last I checked you could only get them from third party Amazon sellers at ridiculous markups.

e: I realize this isn't the CPU thread, but it's not like this thread is exactly laser-focused. :v:

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
I'm considering selling a friend my R9 280x for his gaming machine. What's my next step up here? With all this DX12 hoo-ha I've no idea what I should be looking at. 1080 gaming with max settings, looking to upgrade monitor in about a year.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Space Racist posted:

Is there even a place to reliably buy 5775Cs? Last I checked you could only get them from third party Amazon sellers at ridiculous markups.

e: I realize this isn't the CPU thread, but it's not like this thread is exactly laser-focused. :v:

B&H has preorders for Sept. 20th release at $390 a pop.

Are people seriously suggesting it is a better chip for gaming than say, the 6700k?

How is that supposed to work anyway, can I get the cliffnotes? I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for the chip if it saves having to buy a Z170 and DDR4.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How sketchy is this?

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/sop/5207581712.html

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

midge posted:

I'm considering selling a friend my R9 280x for his gaming machine. What's my next step up here? With all this DX12 hoo-ha I've no idea what I should be looking at. 1080 gaming with max settings, looking to upgrade monitor in about a year.

GTX 970 I'd say at 1080p, but higher than that you might want to look for discounted 980s (or even stretch for a 980Ti if you want a bit of future proofing).

Card goes for more than twice that price. It either fell off the back of a truck or there's really a 970 packed in there.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Dubious. Why wouldn't they SLI?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The guy is probably being inundated right now, not like you're going to get it. Or he's just fishing for emails.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Shipping only on craigslist is cause for concern, along with the $300 price lol. And yeah if it was posted 3 days ago and it were legit its already sold

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

The guy is probably being inundated right now, not like you're going to get it. Or he's just fishing for emails.

I had no interest in replying to that post, more of a "look at this crazy CL post", which in retrospect isn't really that interesting given what happens on CL daily.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well the lowdown is:
Processors are bloody fast.
Absolute speed demons.
Buuut you need to feed them data.
This takes time.

A larger cache means the processor has to wait less for the slow rear end RAM connected to the glacial-pace hard drive to feed it more data to process since it can just store a larger amount in the cache.

This means a larger queue of data and less memory operations being waited on to finish.

SO while the 5775c is less powerful than the 6700k it turns out cutting cpu wait times by having a massive cache does more good for less computationally intense workloads that rely more on bandwidth/throughput than processing power, like say a game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Shipping only on craigslist is cause for concern, along with the $300 price lol. And yeah if it was posted 3 days ago and it were legit its already sold

Good point, the guy probably thought he could sell it 30 times over to fill up his Paypal account, use a Paypal ATM card to pull all the money, then flee the country while people are still waiting for the card to ship.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So I'm not super happy with the hybrid coolers I installed. I can't get the fans to go down to silent at idle, and when at their lowest they're definitely audible. (I may still be hitting the 50%-utilization-at-base problem related to Win 10/144Hz/something, but the other card is idle and it's running at the same rate.)

Before I make some coworker's week with deeply discounted hybrid-cooled 980 Tis and replace them with quieter variants (MSI?), does anyone have thoughts on http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html ?

(and I think the CPU cooler's fans refuse to go below 70%, but that's another battle)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 8, 2015

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Subjunctive posted:

So I'm not super happy with the hybrid coolers I installed. I can't get the fans to go down to silent at idle, and when at their lowest they're definitely audible. (I may still be hitting the 50%-utilization-at-base problem related to Win 10/144Hz/something, but the other card is idle and it's running at the same rate.)

Before I make some coworker's week with deeply discounted hybrid-cooled 980 Tis and replace them with quieter variants (MSI?), does anyone have thoughts on http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html ?

(and I think the CPU cooler's fans refuse to go below 70%, but that's another battle)
I had an extreme plus that was drat near silent on a 6950. You have to heatsink everything covered by the stock thermal pads but if you're careful with that it's fairly easy to install.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

cisco privilege posted:

I had an extreme plus that was drat near silent on a 6950. You have to heatsink everything covered by the stock thermal pads but if you're careful with that it's fairly easy to install.

Yeah, I had an Accelero Something back in the mists of time, and it was great. Do you know how hard it is to remove the custom thermal pads if I change my fickle, fickle mind about it?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Does anyone have experience using the sapphire trixx OC utility? I have a sapphire 7970 GHZ and set the core to 1100 mhz and the Memory to 1525 mhz but in monitoring software it still shows clock stocks for the card of 950/1425. Would a different program work or am I just SOL. Running 15.8 beta drivers and trixx 5.0. The custom fan profile works just fine.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 8, 2015

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I had an Accelero Something back in the mists of time, and it was great. Do you know how hard it is to remove the custom thermal pads if I change my fickle, fickle mind about it?
Arctic Cooling's pads aren't gooey or particularly sticky, so it shouldn't be hard at all. Finding a way to re-affix the stock cooling equipment may be harder, depending on the card.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Alereon posted:

Arctic Cooling's pads aren't gooey or particularly sticky, so it shouldn't be hard at all. Finding a way to re-affix the stock cooling equipment may be harder, depending on the card.

It's a reference 980 Ti, FWIW. Are there generally available adhesives that are thermally appropriate?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

I dont think the accelero fits in sli due to backplate cooling.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Don Lapre posted:

I dont think the accelero fits in sli due to backplate cooling.

Hmm. My GPU slots are separated by another slot, but I'll measure and see. Good point!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Yes, accelero makes good stuff, especially for the price. The tiny heat sinks should come with adhesive thermal paste (glue that's not terrible at conducting heat, basically), which lets go easier at higher temperatures. If you ever want to remove it, use a hair dryer or similar (at a low enough setting to not cook anything, obviously) and it's super easy to remove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
I put an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II on a GTX 670 recently to replace a failed stock cooler, the thing is GREAT. The only problem is that the included installation instructions are poo poo and wrong, make sure you download the latest PDF from their site or you can potentially damage your card due to incorrect shimming between the GPU and heatsink. Also, it takes a long time and is a huge pain in the rear end, though it was worse because I had to do it twice after discovering a gap between the GPU and heatsink and needing to figure out why.

Truga posted:

Yes, accelero makes good stuff, especially for the price. The tiny heat sinks should come with adhesive thermal paste (glue that's not terrible at conducting heat, basically), which lets go easier at higher temperatures. If you ever want to remove it, use a hair dryer or similar (at a low enough setting to not cook anything, obviously) and it's super easy to remove.
They've changed the installation method to use a backplate heatsink rather than smaller glued heatsinks, it should now be easily removable.