Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

quote:

quote:

May I inquire which categories of reputation there are exactly?

We have hero, buddy, grudge, animal training partner, violent brawler (instigating non-lethal attacks on non-hostiles), psychopath (instigating lethal attacks on non-hostiles), trade partner, friendly, killer, murderer, adventuring companion, member of respected group, member of hated group, enemy fighter, friendly fighter, bully, brigand, loyal soldier, monster, storyteller, poet, bard and dancer -- these can be tracked variously at the individual-individual or individual-entity level, first through active rumors and then more abstractly, though not all of them are saved over the long haul and only occur when rumors are active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Helical Nightmares posted:

So that is skipping as in "skipping a stone" not skipping as in between walking and running?

How did he implement that? Modeling surface tension on liquids?

Yes, as in skipping a stone, except instead of a stone it's a goblin. And I have no loving clue how he modeled it. I discovered this completely by accident.

Time to do some !!science!! in the arena. :getin:

Also, the combat descriptions for pulping are hilariously loving brutal. There's nothing quite like punching a guy so hard his upper body explodes into gore, or using a maul to smash someone's head into an unrecognizable mass.

e: They skip a little farther across water, so maybe?

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 3, 2015

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

LORD OF BUTT posted:

And I have no loving clue how he modeled it.

Probably ended up modeling the formation of planets and a fully-realized planetary core in order to get the right magma viscosity.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

We have hero, buddy, grudge, animal training partner, violent brawler (instigating non-lethal attacks on non-hostiles), psychopath (instigating lethal attacks on non-hostiles), trade partner, friendly, killer, murderer, adventuring companion, member of respected group, member of hated group, enemy fighter, friendly fighter, bully, brigand, loyal soldier, monster, storyteller, poet, bard and dancer -- these can be tracked variously at the individual-individual or individual-entity level, first through active rumors and then more abstractly, though not all of them are saved over the long haul and only occur when rumors are active.

BRB Writing a book about how all skeletons are really good dancers.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

hooman posted:

BRB Writing a book about how all skeletons are really good dancers.

They don't necessarily have natural rhythm, but they make their own.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5f2C4q_8CY skip to 0:55

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Does anyone else really, really hate autolabor? It's the most irritating thing and this LNP distribution seems to really like forcing it on whenever I start the game, like it or not. No, I do not want eight engravers, I just want one. No, I do not want the jeweler to do metalcrafting jobs, I want the loving metalcrafter to do it.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

I love nothing more than autolabor. I guess it depends on your personal preference and playstyle. For me, just getting rid of all the labour settings cuts off the worst micromanagey part of the game and lets me play more. I don't really care about minmaxing my dwarves' stats, and I don't care whether the new sword is +sword+, =sword= or *sword* - it's doesn't really change much in the end. And the only point in micromanaging labour is getting better items. If I can skip that, I'm happy. I honestly believe the game would be better or at least more approachable if this was a default, built-in feature.

As I've said, personal preference.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Does anyone else really, really hate autolabor? It's the most irritating thing and this LNP distribution seems to really like forcing it on whenever I start the game, like it or not. No, I do not want eight engravers, I just want one. No, I do not want the jeweler to do metalcrafting jobs, I want the loving metalcrafter to do it.

I like autolabour a lot, but when I feel like actually trying to craft high-quality items I make sure that I set the workshops to not take anyone below x-skill. As well, I usually set it so that I lower the aumount of miners I have after I dig out most of my fort. I really don't need 50 dwarves to carve out 50 squares, let 3 do it.

If you want to know how to customize autolabour, or to get rid of it, the dfhack github page (here) is great. You can disable autolabor for specific professions (Eg. engraving) so that you never have to worry about it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like autolabor. I just can't get it to do what I want for whatever reason. Even basic poo poo like 'always have 3 miners' doesn't seem to happen. There's a lot of times where for no good reason no dwarf in a 140 dwarf fort will have a particular labor enabled.

I don't really fiddle with the labors that much anyway.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Kennel posted:

I kind of have to wonder how all those will interact. Not that it really matters until it causes non-verbal reactions(aka "punching your face in if they hate your reputation too much"), but it wouldn't be hard to get a lot of those labels to stack. Does being a psychopath outweigh being a hero? Will people ignore your membership in a hated group if you're really awesome at dancing? It'll be interesting to see.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Baby's first fortress questions:

I seem to have stumbled on an extremly fertile forest area full of all sorts of berries and plants and lots of cherry and nut tress. So far all I have managed to work out how to do is select the gather plants designation and then click on indvidualy ripe berries, but I have no idea how to harvest tree products. Now I dont want to be no fag elf living in harmony poo poo, so how do I most efectively exploit all this potential alcohol in a more organised fashion?

I think I have a more or less stable food setup now with a 2x3 farm suplemented with whatever berries that don't get brewed, so it seems the next step is some milita. I'm using the LNP but I find the various tools almost as intimidating as the ingame lists. Can someone please walk through how you choose who does what job, and what factors you take into account?

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Trees will keep you in food forever as the cripple your FPS. Just set a "fruit gathering zone" like you would a hospital or pen I think, dwarves will either gather poo poo off the ground or use stepladders to get it out of trees.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Next question:

How do you expand a stockpile that you have already placed?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Pharnakes posted:

Next question:

How do you expand a stockpile that you have already placed?

only zones can be re-sized. Stockpiles are rooms, so you must remove it and then place a new, larger stockpile.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Don't forget to build a stepladder, can't harvest trees without one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
You know what makes this game a lot more entertaining? Setting your dwarf civ's ethics in the raws so that you can butcher, eat, and make stuff out of sapient creatures (i.e. elves and goblins).

Elf caravan comes in? Looks like you've got elf leather!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I CAN'T HEAR OVER THE CHURCH BELLS

Toady One posted:

The latest project has been to improve performance feedback -- where exactly you are in the composition/form, what other performers you walk in on mid-act are doing, mistakes made by performers, and some more information about dwarf mode performers so you have an idea of where they are in their activities. It'll tell you more about what you've learned by observation. Before that I was messing around with non-player fortress tavern maps, as well as instrument timbre adjectives and their changes over registers.

I really should bold this whole thing, but I'll settle for these two. The string dump is going to be amazing.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

scamtank posted:

The latest project has been to :siren:improve performance:siren:
...feedback -- where exactly you are in the composition/form, what other performers you walk in on mid-act are doing, mistakes made by performers, and some more information about dwarf mode performers so you have an idea of where they are in their activities.
...Oh. :v: That kind of performance.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I started to reclaim a fort, and I'm not sure really how to deal with the 173 'hostile' inhabitants of this fort. I think they are mostly members of the old fort, because they mostly have civilian titles and about half of them are dwarves.

I was initially planning on going full :black101: when I thought there was only 20 or so goblins, but I'm not sure what else I could do? They seem pretty content to just hang out wherever they were last so I can't really lure them anywhere? I'd settle for just letting them wander off the map, but they're pretty stationary so far.

When the first dwarf caravan shows up its going to be a bloodbath.

EDIT: well it wasn't. :v: I forgot that no one likes to fight in the most recent versions. Oh well, they're just going to be decoration now.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 7, 2015

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jyrraeth posted:

I started to reclaim a fort, and I'm not sure really how to deal with the 173 'hostile' inhabitants of this fort. I think they are mostly members of the old fort, because they mostly have civilian titles and about half of them are dwarves.

I was initially planning on going full :black101: when I thought there was only 20 or so goblins, but I'm not sure what else I could do? They seem pretty content to just hang out wherever they were last so I can't really lure them anywhere? I'd settle for just letting them wander off the map, but they're pretty stationary so far.

When the first dwarf caravan shows up its going to be a bloodbath.

EDIT: well it wasn't. :v: I forgot that no one likes to fight in the most recent versions. Oh well, they're just going to be decoration now.

To be fair, you pretty much just walked into their home and claimed the place for yourself. The idea of them being too drunk to give a poo poo is funny, though.

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Urist Licksshredded cancels guitar solo: whiffed the arpeggio in measure 28.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Can dwarves fall off bridges? I'd built a 1x1 bridge and I think my woodcuter just fell off it carying a barrel. I can't think of any other reason why he'd be drowning in the river with a crushed everything.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

Can dwarves fall off bridges? I'd built a 1x1 bridge and I think my woodcuter just fell off it carying a barrel. I can't think of any other reason why he'd be drowning in the river with a crushed everything.

Often they will dodge without considering their surroundings and fall.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pharnakes posted:

Yup. Dwarves with a crappy agility have a chance to just careen off of edges.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I just had an armorer go into a mood, and I was really pumped about the potential of getting some legendary adamantine armor, but then he got hung up on needing cloth and nothing I've made has appeased him.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

siggy2021 posted:

I just had an armorer go into a mood, and I was really pumped about the potential of getting some legendary adamantine armor, but then he got hung up on needing cloth and nothing I've made has appeased him.
Loom > (a) Weave Metal Cloth

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

GulMadred posted:

Loom > (a) Weave Metal Cloth

Yup, tried that, didn't work.

He ended up going crazy and being immediately cut down because one of my squads training areas was right next door.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

If you can't figure out what they need and aren't opposed to cheating to find out, showmood in dfhack is the command that I believe will tell you.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

siggy2021 posted:

I think they can specifically want wool cloth, silk cloth and plant cloth. Did you try all three of those?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

markus_cz posted:

Procedurally generated descriptions of art.
I can't wait for the Occupation Thief things to be added so i can steal procedurally generated art and resell it to procedurally generated fences.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

I think they can specifically want wool cloth, silk cloth and plant cloth. Did you try all three of those?

Yeah I was thinking it was probably silk or wool. Unfortunately I had some fun happen. In the middle of migrating my fort into the depths below for magma forges since I didn't have the infrastructure to pump it upwards a Bronze Colossus showed up. I didn't have any way to take care of that at the time so I had sealed off the entrance, leaving all of my wool and silk up top.

It's been a pretty good run. After spending about a year sealed about 150 levels down I've had quite a few run-ins with starvation due to not being able to get all of my seeds down there before I sealed it off, but I barely managed to pull through with a couple of lucky cavern monster kills that provided meat. I've got new bedrooms, tombs, and workshops set up down there. I found Adamantine and made some swords, recruited a new small 6 man army, equipped them, gave them about 6 months to train, then opened the surface back up and sent them to fight the colossus. They cut him down with ease, only sustaining a single loss.

Now they each of their own small tomb in the hall of heroes, which is in the middle of being engraved. The body of the bronze colossus will be erected in the middle of the hall to honor their deed.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Do you guys ever get the bug where randomly, the entirety of the fortress you dug out will get filled with stone as if you never dug anything (furniture, workshops and doors will stay tho, as will dwarves, trapped) and Hell gets unleashed? Had that happen to 2 different maps on 2 different worlds, and is not reproducible.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

KillHour posted:

To be fair, you pretty much just walked into their home and claimed the place for yourself. The idea of them being too drunk to give a poo poo is funny, though.

I didn't realize that a fort that fell to goblins would have such a multicultural society, it's about evenly split between the four sentients. There was a lot of booze laying around that was .... Reallocated.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

canepazzo posted:

Do you guys ever get the bug where randomly, the entirety of the fortress you dug out will get filled with stone as if you never dug anything (furniture, workshops and doors will stay tho, as will dwarves, trapped) and Hell gets unleashed? Had that happen to 2 different maps on 2 different worlds, and is not reproducible.

No, but the next time it happens you should post the save because that sounds loving awesome

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How do you dig out a chamber that is more than one Z level tall?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pharnakes posted:

How do you dig out a chamber that is more than one Z level tall?

Designate the area to be channeled. The dwarves will dig from the top down and shouldn't cause cave ins often if at all if youre lucky

Note that even if its multiple Z levels tall a room will only consider the value of the Z level the designating building is on.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

M_Gargantua posted:

Designate the area to be channeled. The dwarves will dig from the top down and shouldn't cause cave ins often if at all if youre lucky

Nah, this will create hella cave-ins, especially if you're digging many levels. Designate one layer at a time and wait for the top layer to be completely finished before designating the next and you should be good, but don't try multiples at a time.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Channeling is a nightmare of cave-ins and stuck dwarves. Better to designate the highest open layer of the chamber as carve ramp, and then go level by level down to the bottom. Once you're done, remove stairs/ramps on the bottom floor and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Muscle Tracer posted:

Nah, this will create hella cave-ins, especially if you're digging many levels. Designate one layer at a time and wait for the top layer to be completely finished before designating the next and you should be good, but don't try multiples at a time.

Use increasing priorities as you go down. Layer-1 is h at the highest priority, Layer-2 is h at 2, etc... zero cave ins. I do it a lot.

Alternatively, for some fun: simply dig out each level (leaving the floor), then channel the outer edges of each floor except for one tile connecting a path out. Put pillars in each level except the bottom, attach them all to a single lever. Now block off all the entries and pull the lever! This method does take longer than simply channeling out like above, but boy howdy is it fun!