Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Ultragonk posted:

Due to time constraints I'm currently only able to train for 2 hours a week. I'm trying to find more time what, in your opinion, is a good amount of training time?

It's hard to say, it's highly dependant on the person and how important this is for you, how focused you are, if you spend time outside the dojo watching videos/trying to learn stuff, etc.

In my experience though, people who attend only 1 class a week don't learn very fast. 2 classes a week seem to be the magic number for most people to really progress. 1 class a week is ok to sort of keep your techniques and such and not lose too much if you've been training for a while, but it's hard to progress with only that. It's much much much better than 0 classes a week though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

KingColliwog posted:

It's hard to say, it's highly dependant on the person and how important this is for you, how focused you are, if you spend time outside the dojo watching videos/trying to learn stuff, etc.

In my experience though, people who attend only 1 class a week don't learn very fast. 2 classes a week seem to be the magic number for most people to really progress. 1 class a week is ok to sort of keep your techniques and such and not lose too much if you've been training for a while, but it's hard to progress with only that. It's much much much better than 0 classes a week though.

Thanks. I think I'm going to have to watch some vids outside of class and get a space that I can at least practice my falling.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, once a week makes for slow progress. You end up with the double whammy of forgetting more and learning less, since people's ability to learn many new things at once is limited. Three new things per session is the magic number I heard. Training multiple times a week means you have less time to forget things and you get to start on more new things.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
A thing that has really helped me is keeping a journal. After class I spend 5 mins and writing down what we covered (plus any insights) that session. Before the next class (normally on the subway to it) I glance though it to see what we did in the previous few classes. I can't tell you the number of times I've looked though my notebook and said "oh ya, i remember that now".

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Visualization is also really powerful. Look up some techniques and try visualizing while sitting in traffic or on a train.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Migz posted:

Question is. Is this a totally off the wall price for a big bjj name? Do schools normall negotiate?

That seems to be an average price and terms atleast for Georgia with coaches with any sort of BJJ claims to fame. [The down payment is a little steep, but I've seen a 150 upfront charge before]. Generally the most you'll get out of negotiation with schools in my experience is they may knock down the initial payment by a few dollars if they like you and you put up like a month or two of tuition money upfront.

The initial payment from a business stand point is to get you immediately invested into coming to class, so you'll serve your contract out in full, instead of cancelling within the first month, and if you do cancel they'll have gotten some bills paid out of it.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 8, 2015

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Migz posted:

I'm looking at a new bjj school. I'm currently paying 100 a month for 4 classes. New school is 7 classes I can attend for 179 with a 200 down payment and a year contract. (Free gi included) without any names the new teacher is a legend / multiple time world champ. It's a big increase in price for me but I want to take my game to the next step. ( only a blue belt here)

Question is. Is this a totally off the wall price for a big bjj name? Do schools normall negotiate?

Not entirely, depending on the demographics of the city you're located in. It is kind of off the wall to pay that much and not be allowed to attend more than 7 classes a month though.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Visualization is also really powerful. Look up some techniques and try visualizing while sitting in traffic or on a train.

It's great to do this when you're out running

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I had a blog earlier on in my kendo 'career' and it really helped. One major difference between that and a journal, was that a 'public' journal helped keeping my ego in check, especially when I wrote about sparring/fights/etc with other people.
Eventually progress became slow enough enough that I didn't have any real material to write about and I stopped, but it was great for the first 4-5 years.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kuvo posted:

A thing that has really helped me is keeping a journal. After class I spend 5 mins and writing down what we covered (plus any insights) that session. Before the next class (normally on the subway to it) I glance though it to see what we did in the previous few classes. I can't tell you the number of times I've looked though my notebook and said "oh ya, i remember that now".

Xguard86 posted:

Thanks these seem like some good ideas, also could help me remember the name of the moves.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Keg posted:

Not entirely, depending on the demographics of the city you're located in. It is kind of off the wall to pay that much and not be allowed to attend more than 7 classes a month though.

Oh snap I didn't notice that it was 7 Classes a month. That's insane.

The places I am talking about where basically unlimited classes [as in anywhere from 5 to 7 classes a week] One of the most expensive schools[as a per class thing] I looked at was 165 a month for 3 classes a week.

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Xguard86 posted:

I wish I could stop doing this. Lots of days I wake up tired because I keep visualizing while falling asleep and it ends up taking forever.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's more because wristlock throws don't work against resisting opponents...

Um, not true. I've used wrist lock throws on people and had them used on my while resisting in a randori setting. One of the guys I train with actually uses them a lot successfully. I would not call them high percentage attacks but they are doable.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

IT BEGINS posted:

I wish I could stop doing this. Lots of days I wake up tired because I keep visualizing while falling asleep and it ends up taking forever.

That does suck but for over a year now I've been pretty checked out of bjj. I wish I could get more excited and focused but it's sorta not there.

Frustrating too because it's hurt my performance and that makes it harder to get excited about class. Maybe it's life phases as I focus a lot more at work and my mental energy is much more taxed than when I was a college gym rat.

It will be ten years of training bjj next June, has anyone who has been at this that long had these periods? I've tried different things but still kinda land in this flat spot.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

n3rdal3rt posted:

Um, not true. I've used wrist lock throws on people and had them used on my while resisting in a randori setting. One of the guys I train with actually uses them a lot successfully. I would not call them high percentage attacks but they are doable.

I don't mean this sarcastically or rhetorically, but have they been documented as working in competition? At this point I've seen so my wacky low percentage bullshit techniques pulled off successfully in striking, grappling, or mma that I'm comfortable considering absence of proof as proof of absence, at least for techniques within common rule sets. Techniques that haven't worked repeatedly in competition are by now sub-capoeira on the legitimacy scale at best I think.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Decades posted:

I don't mean this sarcastically or rhetorically, but have they been documented as working in competition? At this point I've seen so my wacky low percentage bullshit techniques pulled off successfully in striking, grappling, or mma that I'm comfortable considering absence of proof as proof of absence, at least for techniques within common rule sets. Techniques that haven't worked repeatedly in competition are by now sub-capoeira on the legitimacy scale at best I think.

I have no video to speak of so feel free to disregard my comment. I think it its just my quarterly comment in opposition of the "it didn't happen in a BJJ/MMA match so it is utter garbage" mentality. Not making that comment against anyone particular here, I hear it a lot of places and it hits a nerve I guess.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If by "wrist lock throws" people here mean locks akin to aikido's kotegaeshi, it's not really a throw. Aikido people just get conditioned to somersault out of the lock because it's the safest most fun way to relieve it. You can just decide "nope not gonna get taken down" and elbow the thrower in the face. You might end up with an injury, but who cares, it's not like they broke your elbow.

And that's before trying them in a setting where people wrap their wrists and wear fairly bulky gloves. :shrug:

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

If by "wrist lock throws" people here mean locks akin to aikido's kotegaeshi, it's not really a throw. Aikido people just get conditioned to somersault out of the lock because it's the safest most fun way to relieve it. You can just decide "nope not gonna get taken down" and elbow the thrower in the face. You might end up with an injury, but who cares, it's not like they broke your elbow.

And that's before trying them in a setting where people wrap their wrists and wear fairly bulky gloves. :shrug:

Like pretty much any throw, if you can effectively hit me while I'm doing it then I didn't set it up correctly or I'm just plain doing it wrong. At least that's my thought when doing a throw (or any technique for that matter).

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Xguard86 posted:

That does suck but for over a year now I've been pretty checked out of bjj. I wish I could get more excited and focused but it's sorta not there.

Frustrating too because it's hurt my performance and that makes it harder to get excited about class. Maybe it's life phases as I focus a lot more at work and my mental energy is much more taxed than when I was a college gym rat.

It will be ten years of training bjj next June, has anyone who has been at this that long had these periods? I've tried different things but still kinda land in this flat spot.

Not BJJ, but yeah and I'm still not quite out of it. When I decided to stop competing 'seriously', I kinda lost the drive. It's annoying as I know kendo is much more than just competing (and I was never that good anyway). I took 6 months off, which then got extended to 18 months due to some health and injury issues and only fully returned this year. I still find it tough going. I used to practice 3 times a week, now I struggle to make it to one practice and it doesn't take much of an excuse to stop me going. I'm going to attempt (again) for 5th dan this year and know that I really need to put in some floor time to have a chance of passing.
I also used to enjoy teaching, but kinda can't stand it at the moment and I really only want to practice with my peers/seniors, which is very much against the ethos of kendo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

n3rdal3rt posted:

Like pretty much any throw, if you can effectively hit me while I'm doing it then I didn't set it up correctly or I'm just plain doing it wrong. At least that's my thought when doing a throw (or any technique for that matter).
What I'm fumbling at here is that with the kotegaeshi in particular, you can't force the opponent to fall. If they don't know what the gently caress, when you get the grip on they might well push their elbow out and try to muscle through, which leads to a wrist injury but also prevents the takedown.

Basically, I'm just jerking off over semantics.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

n3rdal3rt posted:

I have no video to speak of so feel free to disregard my comment. I think it its just my quarterly comment in opposition of the "it didn't happen in a BJJ/MMA match so it is utter garbage" mentality. Not making that comment against anyone particular here, I hear it a lot of places and it hits a nerve I guess.

While I don't wanna put words in your mouth, I think I have more sympathy for that angle than you might expect. I was taking Kung Fu (a relatively great class but still Kung Fu) in an era where mma was still in this somewhat narrow scope where the vast majority of guys could be summed up as fundamental jiu jitsu with some wrestling plus Muay Thai with some boxing. And it sucked that almost all mma fans were closed off to the idea that other disciplines, at least bits and pieces of those disciplines, could have something to offer.

Then* the highest profile title was captured by an undefeated karate dude. Then a freakishly lanky guy stomped him with an opposite style more built around spinning back elbows than linear strikes. Then showtime ran up a wall and kicked a guy like a ninja. Then spinning heel kicks and crane kicks and capoeira poo poo started working. Also reverse inverted triangles and reverse calf slicers and twisters and flying submissions. Then the best fighter ever got KO'd because Chris Weidman realized you could double up strikes with the same hand. Then he broke his leg by learning to check kicks. Then Ronda Rousey took over a division using almost pure Judo. Then Palhares started tapping all comers with leg locks. Khabib Nurmagomedov is crushing lightweight with Sambo. Cung Le showed that Sanshou isn't nonsense, Stephen Thompson is proving that fancy pants kickboxing works, and Conor McGregor is combining ridiculous spinning poo poo with fundamental boxing and mockery to KO elite wrestlers.

Point is modern mma has evolved quite a bit and has sprawled outwards broadly in some really unpredictable ways, and so I think people now are a lot more hesitant to dismiss out of the box techniques. Nobody knows for sure what the next surprise will be. On the one had it means anything can still happen, though arguably on the other it might mean that if it can work than it would have by now. In any case mma is a cool thing and watching it can be pretty helpful in sorting the wheat from the chaff in your own chosen discipline while maybe still inspiring you to explore uncharted possibilities.

Chronology may not be real

Decades fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 9, 2015

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Siivola posted:

Basically, I'm just jerking off over semantics.

I sure I am too honestly.

Decades posted:

While I don't wanna put words in your mouth, I think I have more sympathy for that angle than you might expect. I was taking Kung Fu (a relatively great class but still Kung Fu) in an era where mma was still in this somewhat narrow scope where the vast majority of guys could be summed up as fundamental jiu jitsu with some wrestling plus Muay Thai with some boxing. And it sucked that almost all mma fans were closed off to the idea that other disciplines, at least bits and pieces of those disciplines, could have something to offer.

Then* the highest profile title was captured by an undefeated karate dude. Then a freakishly lanky guy stomped him with an opposite style more built around spinning back elbows than linear strikes. Then showtime ran up a wall and kicked a guy like a ninja. Then spinning heel kicks and crane kicks and capoeira poo poo started working. Also reverse inverted triangles and reverse calf slicers and twisters and flying submissions. Then the best fighter ever got KO'd because Chris Weidman realized you could double up strikes with the same hand. Then he broke his leg by learning to check kicks. Then Ronda Rousey took over a division using almost pure Judo. Then Palhares started tapping all comers with leg locks. Khabib Nurmagomedov is crushing lightweight with Sambo. Cung Le showed that Sanshou isn't nonsense, Stephen Thompson is proving that fancy pants kickboxing works, and Conor McGregor is combining ridiculous spinning poo poo with fundamental boxing and mockery to KO elite wrestlers.

Point is modern mma has evolved quite a bit and has sprawled outwards broadly in some really unpredictable ways, and so I think people now are a lot more hesitant to dismiss out of the box techniques. Nobody knows for sure what the next surprise will be. On the one had it means anything can still happen, though arguably on the other it might mean that if it can work than it would have by now. In any case mma is a cool thing and watching it can be pretty helpful in sorting the wheat from the chaff in your own chosen discipline while maybe still inspiring you to explore uncharted possibilities.

Chronology may not be real

I haven't been able to watch as much MMA/UFC as I used to so my opinion is dated too. It was getting boring because of all the cookie cutter fighters, apparently I need to pay more attention to it. I do think that all styles have a value in some way and the difference tend to show in they goals of the individual or style. In the end its about doing what you enjoy and hopefully never having to actual attempt to use any of it outside of a competition scenario.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009

Siivola posted:

If they don't know what the gently caress, when you get the grip on they might well push their elbow out and try to muscle through, which leads to a wrist injury but also prevents the takedown.

This is the gist of it. poo poo Happens in the heat of the moment in randori, and resisting a hip throw as hard as you possibly can probably won't get you hurt, whereas doing the same with a wrist takedown is much more likely to result in injury. I'm picturing how people violently throw their weight around with stuff like seoi otoshi and imagining people trying to do the same with wrist stuff and TBQH it scares the poo poo out of me.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Wrists are slippery and hard to grab in a live situation

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Novum posted:

Wrists are slippery and hard to grab in a live situation

This.

I have no idea what crap the rest of you are talking about. Randori with anyone and tell me if you can grab their wrist long enough to do anything remotely resembling a throw.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I've had it done to me in some BJJ classes before. The instructor would use my sleeve as a towel to grip my wrist and boom, tap.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Space human being posted:

This is the gist of it. poo poo Happens in the heat of the moment in randori, and resisting a hip throw as hard as you possibly can probably won't get you hurt, whereas doing the same with a wrist takedown is much more likely to result in injury. I'm picturing how people violently throw their weight around with stuff like seoi otoshi and imagining people trying to do the same with wrist stuff and TBQH it scares the poo poo out of me.

Wait, so potential effective but possible too "dangerous" to do with a fully resisting opponent...... I'm sorry that means its fake and not worth spending time to learn the mechanics apparently.

Real apology, I'm just being a smartass in general. I agree that arts that claim to be "TOO DEADLY TO DO FOR REALZ!!!1" are going to mostly be crap because they are probably untested in reality.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

n3rdal3rt posted:

Wait, so potential effective but possible too "dangerous" to do with a fully resisting opponent
You sure got him good.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kekekela posted:

You sure got him good.

Wasn't trying to get anybody just making an (admittedly bad) joke based on many comments from this thread. I'll go back to my hole and stop cluttering the thread for a while.

Space human being, I meant nothing negative towards you so hopefully it wasn't taken as a direct attack.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I feel like if you guys directly attacked each other then this whole debate could sort itself out yet.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Novum posted:

I feel like if you guys directly attacked each other then this whole debate could sort itself out yet.

Their debate skills are too dangerous to be used directly on a resisting opponent

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Xguard86 posted:

I will have been training in wado rui karate twenty years this November. It's now very much something that happens in the background now I am a grown up with a proper job and a family. I spend much of my time in a lul but it is always there if you feel the need to get stuck into some training.

Nierbo posted:

This.
I have no idea what crap the rest of you are talking about. Randori with anyone and tell me if you can grab their wrist long enough to do anything remotely resembling a throw.

Not necessarily throws, but I have had a wrist lock successfully applied on my during ground work by Marco Ruas.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Wristlocks are perfectly valid techniques on the ground. On the feet, it's very difficult to apply them because it's difficult to isolate the wrist sufficiently to prevent someone from just moving/turning out of it. They can be useful as setups but rarely as techniques on their own.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

fatherdog posted:

Wristlocks are perfectly valid techniques on the ground. On the feet, it's very difficult to apply them because it's difficult to isolate the wrist sufficiently to prevent someone from just moving/turning out of it. They can be useful as setups but rarely as techniques on their own.

Agreed. Just setting up a standing wristlock, like from a 2-on-1 or a Russian tie, is really drat tricky and usually impractical. Using that control position to bring someone to the ground isn't really a "wrist throw" so much as a standing sub that bears someone down, or just a throw that you'd get anyway from one of those positions (back trip, etc). The kinds of wrist throws you see in Aikido or JJJ where you're not even using both hands straight up do not work against any kind of competent and resisting opponent.

You can get someone down with a heavy arm drag if you've got their wrist with both hands but calling that a "wrist throw" is a pretty big stretch. n3rdal3rt, I'm interested in seeing what technique in particular you're referring to when you say "wrist lock throws", can you post a video or picture with an example? Doesn't have to be from competition.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 9, 2015

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

People often refer to aikido wrist throws because kote gaeshi is one of the signature moves and many people are familiar with it. The vast majority of aikido throwing techniques don't involve any wrist control.

n3rdal3rt
Nov 2, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Agreed. Just setting up a standing wristlock, like from a 2-on-1 or a Russian tie, is really drat tricky and usually impractical. Using that control position to bring someone to the ground isn't really a "wrist throw" so much as a standing sub that bears someone down, or just a throw that you'd get anyway from one of those positions (back trip, etc). The kinds of wrist throws you see in Aikido or JJJ where you're not even using both hands straight up do not work against any kind of competent and resisting opponent.

You can get someone down with a heavy arm drag if you've got their wrist with both hands but calling that a "wrist throw" is a pretty big stretch. n3rdal3rt, I'm interested in seeing what technique in particular you're referring to when you say "wrist lock throws", can you post a video or picture with an example? Doesn't have to be from competition.

Takedown may be a more appropriate term for most of what I'm thinking honestly. Kotegaeshi can be done as a throw for show but my experience with it when resisting tends to end in more of a weird back/side fall kind of thing. (I'm assuming everyone knows what kotegaeshi looks like) I've used something similar to a tenkai kote hineri when someone was on my back. (trying to find a video that isn't laughably bad, there may be another name for it that isn't tied to Aikido). Again this is more of a takedown then a throw. I guess I consider them throws like I consider kouchi gari a throw, I'm making you fall down but not necessarily making your feet flip over your head.
By no means am I saying that wrist lock throws/takedowns are high percentage or a preferred method to make someone fall down just that they can work.

Novum posted:

I'm not very good honestly (not naturally athletic by any stretch of the imagination) so I'm sure anyone in this thread could easily take me. I practice because I enjoy it and I find all the different styles and ideas intriguing, plus its better for me then sitting around playing games or watching tv.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

All the crazy stuff works when you can do really basic movements. Aka a jab cross an arm bar or a double leg. It becomes necessary to do the crazy stuff when everyone is competent in the basics and you need to find something new.

From the evolution in mma it seems that is probably what was true back in the days when people were using jjj and Kung fu styles for real. Over time, due to poor transmission of technique and lack of live resistance the basics got lost or garbled and you wind up with poo poo like aikido doing esoteric wrist throws while no one in the room can do a jab or a basic double.

Or more sporting arts like tkd and even boxing evolved to be hyper effective in their rule set because that's how you win.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

n3rdal3rt posted:

Takedown may be a more appropriate term for most of what I'm thinking honestly. Kotegaeshi can be done as a throw for show but my experience with it when resisting tends to end in more of a weird back/side fall kind of thing. (I'm assuming everyone knows what kotegaeshi looks like) I've used something similar to a tenkai kote hineri when someone was on my back. (trying to find a video that isn't laughably bad, there may be another name for it that isn't tied to Aikido). Again this is more of a takedown then a throw. I guess I consider them throws like I consider kouchi gari a throw, I'm making you fall down but not necessarily making your feet flip over your head.
By no means am I saying that wrist lock throws/takedowns are high percentage or a preferred method to make someone fall down just that they can work.

I'm not very good honestly (not naturally athletic by any stretch of the imagination) so I'm sure anyone in this thread could easily take me. I practice because I enjoy it and I find all the different styles and ideas intriguing, plus its better for me then sitting around playing games or watching tv.

Mind translating this into English

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Mind translating this into English

I think it's "I know this works but I can't actually do it or find a video demonstration".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you guys ever nerd out and start making flowcharts and stuff to help your grappling? How do you organize it?

I used to try and make flowcharts out of everything but found it kind of impossible, unless maybe you break it down into a ton of small flowcharts. Recently I've been just writing down common positions and writing down a numbered (prioritized) list of what I want to do from each position, and that seems to work pretty well for me. I open it up every couple of weeks and say "nope" then shift a few things around as I work out what's not working for me.

• Locked thread