Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bowser posted:

This entire page (click and drag w/ your mouse).

That one lady on the couch holding up a "help" sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A body was found in a storm drain near me. Police aren't saying why but it's rumoured that he was trying to retrieve his dropped cell phone and got stuck. News chose to use this photo

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Reverse Centaur posted:

A body was found in a storm drain near me. Police aren't saying why but it's rumoured that he was trying to retrieve his dropped cell phone and got stuck. News chose to use this photo

Sleep tite Cool Ghost.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm really having trouble discerning that guy's age. I could see him being an Old just trying to stay hip with the sunglasses and ironic shirt and whatnot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lol at the guy posting about how its a badge of honour to know what the insides of a computer do and how playing games used to be harder. Fuk u, us cavemen used to have to light fires with sticks!

Why are so many techies and nerds luddites when it comes to other people using easier tech

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

dogstile posted:

Lol at the guy posting about how its a badge of honour to know what the insides of a computer do and how playing games used to be harder. Fuk u, us cavemen used to have to light fires with sticks!

Why are so many techies and nerds luddites when it comes to other people using easier tech

Don't you feel stupid having to admit you don't know how the magic puter box works you just push buttons and stuff happens? You seem to think is a badge of honor (there's no u) to be ignorant.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

bowser posted:

This entire page (click and drag w/ your mouse).

I could kill every single person in this picture with my barehands if it came down to it. These are literally the only people worthless-rear end MCMAP prepares you for

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reverse Centaur posted:

p nice wall to die next to imo

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Mad Monk posted:

This is all you need to know from that Hipsters on Foodstamps Part 2 gibberish.

this article is extremely misleading. i have a cousin who was a medieval history and ancient languages phd. there were like 8 positions open in the entire us after he got his phd. and that was considered good. he had to go to ontario to find a position and he got lucky since i think it took him six months and he still was earning a living during that time.

it really depends on your phd. humanities phds are different than stem ones (but stem you still need to be on top of things. also be very wary about academia, otherwise poo poo like the article happens).

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper Dan posted:

this article is extremely misleading. i have a cousin who was a medieval history and ancient languages phd. there were like 8 positions open in the entire us after he got his phd. and that was considered good. he had to go to ontario to find a position and he got lucky since i think it took him six months and he still was earning a living during that time.

it really depends on your phd. humanities phds are different than stem ones (but stem you still need to be on top of things. also be very wary about academia, otherwise poo poo like the article happens).

I don't feel sorry for people who get expensive yet worthless degrees going hungry for the same reason I don't feel bad for people who buy in to ponzi and pyramid schemes, because you really have to be a complete goddamed idiot to do it

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

dogstile posted:

I guess its because theres a growing divide between consumer focused 'easier tech' and computers used for working and making things and anonymouse hacking or whatever. Back in old times if you wanted to play some video game you incidently ended up learning some professional skills on a machine that could do professional things but now there seems to be 'owner' and 'consumer' classes of tech and kids raised on consumer stuff dont know how to do things to elevate themselves out of the social status they were born into.

tldr: social mobility is for gay nerds

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

I don't feel sorry for people who get expensive yet worthless degrees going hungry for the same reason I don't feel bad for people who buy in to ponzi and pyramid schemes, because you really have to be a complete goddamed idiot to do it

i do if it was 2008 or before where people were fed the line of bullshit about degrees and the prestige of expensive private schools. nowadays there is no guarantee that a degree will give you a job. though with the sort of phd this person went for, that should have been obvious.

for a really small field like medieval history, you are basically gambling with your life since there are basically a handful of schools that have those sort of departments. especially if you don't get into a top program. i remember chatting with my cousin that in this field, you can basically only get into an academic position when someone in the field died, because those that have an academic position tend to never leave. he graduated from an ivy so he is the exception rather than the rule as to how he got a good job. plus luck.

that's why the article is disingenuous. it's going 'omg phd on food stamps!' while ignoring the reality of the field.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Booblord Zagats posted:

You don't feel sorry for them because you're an rear end in a top hat, let's be real here. How dumb they are or aren't has nothing to do with it.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Dapper Dan posted:

i do if it was 2008 or before where people were fed the line of bullshit about degrees and the prestige of expensive private schools. nowadays there is no guarantee that a degree will give you a job. though with the sort of phd this person went for, that should have been obvious.

That line of bullshit has existed since academia took the role of educator from the church, though. There have been hundreds of years of history for a loving History major to be able to put two and two together on. I mean it's cool pursuing what you love, I get that. But the reality of it is that if you can't afford to feed yourself while doing it, then it's not a career, its an expensive hobby. I've seen heroin addicts with more sense than this. At least they drown out their idiocy with drugs than trying to convince people they're no complete jackasses who've pissed away their opportunities.

Jim Barris posted:

You don't feel sorry for them because you're an rear end in a top hat, let's be real here. How dumb they are or aren't has nothing to do with it.

I mean, yeah, but it can be a bit of both in some cases, ya know?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Did the humanities touch you inappropriately when you were younger?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Booblord Zagats posted:

I mean it's cool pursuing what you love, I get that. But the reality of it is that if you can't afford to feed yourself while doing it, then it's not a career, its an expensive hobby.

Would have been nice if millenial's parents were that pragmatic. Instead it was 24/7 "you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. Just follow your dreams!"

Then the kid follows his dreams and the exact people who told him to do so turn around and say "why did you study that, you should have studied [flavor of month degree] instead! It's your own fault!"

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chomp8645 posted:

Would have been nice if millenial's parents were that pragmatic. Instead it was 24/7 "you can do anything you want if you put your mind to it. Just follow your dreams!"

Then the kid follows his dreams and the exact people who told him to do so turn around and say "why did you study that, you should have studied [flavor of month degree] instead! It's your own fault!"

I think millennials get jaded from following really bad advice their elders gave them.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lol just lol at people who get degrees from the Boston Retail Park Learning Annex and think the reason it's worthless is because of course they chose the wrong subject

But yeah with PhDs and things, there's a p limited amount of space in professional academia to just be spitballing with it. You wouldn't pay for private astronaut training and hope you get interviewed for flying spaceships.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Mr. Wookums posted:

Did the humanities touch you inappropriately when you were younger?

Nah, just watching friends waste their GI Bill money and end up miserable a few times starts to turn you against it

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I declared an art major my freshman year and my parents all but called me stupid and hounded me to switch to a practical study instead, so not all millennials parents are bad. And now I can still draw and paint as a hobby so it's all good.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

notZaar posted:

I declared an art major my freshman year and my parents all but called me stupid and hounded me to switch to a practical study instead, so not all millennials parents are bad. And now I can still draw and paint as a hobby so it's all good.

ha ha ha

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Booblord Zagats posted:

Nah, just watching friends waste their GI Bill money and end up miserable a few times starts to turn you against it

The GI bill exists to waste money. It's practically a pork program to enrich the University of Phoenix for no output.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
Eh, I studied Ancient Greek and Latin and ended up getting a stellar job at a major university (non-academic administrative work). I just made sure to take advantage of work study and got myself involved in a bunch of extra-curricular programs that gave me marketable skills and experience while I was an undergraduate. I mean, yeah, you'll probably have a lot more success in finding work with a degree that's more practical, but I wouldn't trade the education I received in the humanities for the world. I loving loved every second of it and got a lot of value out of it that I probably wouldn't have been able to get just by studying on my own.

Worked out for me, but it is a risk. You should probably be a S.T.E.M. major or something if you're really worried about financial security. It's a bummer.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think millennials get jaded from following really bad advice their elders gave them.

Right, even though I hate spoiled, lazy millennials, I don't blame them for their situation... I blame their stupid Boomer parents, who are unable to understand just how much easier things were for them.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Booblord Zagats posted:

That line of bullshit has existed since academia took the role of educator from the church, though. There have been hundreds of years of history for a loving History major to be able to put two and two together on. I mean it's cool pursuing what you love, I get that. But the reality of it is that if you can't afford to feed yourself while doing it, then it's not a career, its an expensive hobby. I've seen heroin addicts with more sense than this. At least they drown out their idiocy with drugs than trying to convince people they're no complete jackasses who've pissed away their opportunities.

i mean, back then you didn't really know this unless you had people there to tell you or you found out yourself guidance counselor was full of poo poo. and even then, sometimes you didn't realize it until it was too late. nowadays there is a lot more warning. still, you have to research your major very well and plan to go to career counseling. though this doesn't apply to rich kids who can take whatever bullshit they want.

Strategic Tea posted:

Lol just lol at people who get degrees from the Boston Retail Park Learning Annex and think the reason it's worthless is because of course they chose the wrong subject

But yeah with PhDs and things, there's a p limited amount of space in professional academia to just be spitballing with it. You wouldn't pay for private astronaut training and hope you get interviewed for flying spaceships.

yeah, you have to be very careful where you apply and what you apply for. i am doing a phd in a specific yet versitile stem discipline where it works for government, industry as well as academia (which i plan to avoid) where positons go unfulfilled and has decent job growth. it took a lot of research to determine if it would provide me with what i wanted.

you have others who just go 'oh get a phd and you are set!' while just jumping in and hoping it would work. that leads to articles like this. i mean, if you know what you are in for, ok, but choosing something like medieval history and ignoring the reality of it (especially if you aren't from a top school or program) is asking for trouble.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i didnt do well in school and now i suck dick, while texting

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Honestly I think it's that kind of information and guidance that makes up a pretty huge part of the class divide (at least in the UK). It's pretty easy just to not know how to tell which universities are legit and for which subjects, and you're what, 18 when you're choosing.

(The rest is good ol :smaug:)

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Strategic Tea posted:

Honestly I think it's that kind of information and guidance that makes up a pretty huge part of the class divide (at least in the UK). It's pretty easy just to not know how to tell which universities are legit and for which subjects, and you're what, 18 when you're choosing.

(The rest is good ol :smaug:)

indeed. i was 17 when i went to college, and it is hard to fault teenagers for not knowing how to make five or six figure decisions when the most of them have barely earned minimum wage. not to mention knowing which university is good or not. most have to rely on guidance counselors who may be poo poo at their jobs and parents who have no experience with the modern system and went to college when it was 50 bucks a credit.

in the us, schools are racing to raise tuition because the more expensive, the more prestigious it is viewed as by parents. my tuition from my undergad ballooned 20k in five years. at least in the uk you aren't chained to debt.

naem
May 29, 2011

No college degree is a golden ticket these days, you have to go out there and hustle and be flexible and be willing to take opportunities as they come.

I have an uncle who just retired after 40 years as an accountant earning a comfortable six figure income who's been miserable his entire life

momerath
Nov 15, 2014
i'm going for a design centered major on the gi bill how hosed am i

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
With the benefit of hindsight, I think i would have been a lot better off if I took 2-3 after high school to do the immature independent teen thing (part time work, partying all night, lovely apartments) and then go to school with a little more life experience and responsibility.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CloFan posted:

I'm really having trouble discerning that guy's age. I could see him being an Old just trying to stay hip with the sunglasses and ironic shirt and whatnot.

He was 26. Found upside down, with his head submerged in water (we just had a big storm). Shoes and hoodie taken off before hand.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Reverse Centaur posted:

He was 26. Found upside down, with his head submerged in water (we just had a big storm). Shoes and hoodie taken off before hand.

You shouldn't talk to strangers even if it is a clown in a storm drain.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

momerath posted:

i'm going for a design centered major on the gi bill how hosed am i

Ditch the military look, network network network, and you'll do fine.

Oh and of course work hard and take instructions in stride. you'd think that should go without saying but you know...

momerath
Nov 15, 2014

Toadvine posted:

Ditch the military look, network network network, and you'll do fine.

Oh and of course work hard and take instructions in stride. you'd think that should go without saying but you know...

yeah, i'll be in new york city and i actually have no idea what to expect. last experience with "college people" was pretty disappointing tbh

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

momerath posted:

yeah, i'll be in new york city and i actually have no idea what to expect. last experience with "college people" was pretty disappointing tbh

my advice is make a linkedin, find any professional orgs and join up or go to meetings. see what companies want and try to take classes related to that. you want skills that transfer. also if you are design, you should start building a portfolio and see how to make one. it will probably suck at first but you will be ahead of the curve when everyone else is stumbling trying to figure it out.

EDIT:
also make use of career services if your college has a good one. admittedly i never used one in undergrad and my masters one was poo poo but my current school is geared towards grads getting good jobs, which is like night and day. also try to find a career services person who is at least somewhat familiar in your field. if your career services suck, then just use it to see resume writing or something and do research on your own.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 8, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mad Monk posted:

You shouldn't talk to strangers even if it is a clown in a storm drain.

holy poo poo it's been thirty years since pennywise's last appearance

it fits perfectly

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ChesterJT posted:

Don't you feel stupid having to admit you don't know how the magic puter box works you just push buttons and stuff happens? You seem to think is a badge of honor (there's no u) to be ignorant.

I started out my career as a techie precisely because of learning that poo poo growing up, but I still think its retarded that I work with people who are doing the equivalent of "you don't know how a TV projects that image onto the screen? You loving imbecile".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Hey retards, post pictures

• Locked thread