Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

cerious posted:

Alright so I thought my mouse was dying (G500) but it turns out that my mousepad was just finally got crappy. Are there any recommended mousepads? Would not like to spend a lot on one but I'm willing to pay for something reliable.

I like the Razer Goliathus pads. They come in several sizes, lay flat, stick to the table pretty well, have a good surface and last forever. I just replaced my previous one after 4 years, and it could have kept going. I use the control ones, I don't know if the speed ones are any different. On the downside they are ~20 bucks, and are pretty ugly gamer looking things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Raised by Hamsters posted:

My ancient G9 is continuing its slow death - Can anyone recommend a mouse with a tall body and vertical right-hand side? Or even better, a mouse where it is wider at the top surface by the buttons, and then undercut toward the base of the mouse, just like the left side typically is?
Try a mionix naos? Those are good palm grip type mice where you can rest your ring finger.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paul MaudDib posted:

I haven't either.

Apart from the lack of external switches, I'm 100% satisfied. I found it very acceptable for office use right from the start. It takes a while to get used to the hand-forward posture and I still don't think the middle-mouse or mousewheel is all that ergonomic in this design. I have to reach my middle finger forward, which involves taking my hand off the ball, and I dislike that. But, that's a pretty minor thing and overall it's an extremely precise trackball that I think will have less chance of giving me carpal tunnel than my Microsoft Trackball Optical. It takes a couple weeks of practice to get used to using the pads of your middle three fingers instead of your thumb, but overall I really like it.

I do agree that the scrollwheel is absolutely fantastic despite its lack of stops. You can be either very precise or just spin the gently caress out of it and it behaves exactly like you want.

I'm going to be waiting until I get a wrist-rest to use my glow-ball unit for gaming, for that use I expect it'll need a little break-in. But I used it for office stuff this afternoon and I found it perfectly fine for that stuff, like my first unit.

I've never used a lubricant - what do you use on these? I have light machine oil and sewing machine oil (p. much the same stuff), as well as some less promising stuff (chain lube, penetrating oil, etc). I absolutely do not want the ball to become slick.

Update: I have an AutoHotkey script that allows you to hold right click and move the mouse up/down/left/right for scrolling. It's fairly smooth scrolling, too.

Save this as .AHK and run after installing AutoHotkey:

code:
$*RButton::
Hotkey, $*RButton Up, RButtonup, off
;KeyWait, RButton, T0.4
;If ErrorLevel = 1
;{
   Hotkey, $*RButton Up, RButtonup, on
   MouseGetPos, ox, oy
   SetTimer, WatchTheMouse, 5
   movedx := 0
   movedy := 0
   pixelsMoved := 0
;   TrayTip, Scrolling started, Emulating scroll wheel
;}
;Else
;   Send {RButton}
return

RButtonup:
Hotkey, $*RButton Up, RButtonup, off
SetTimer, WatchTheMouse, off
;TrayTip
If (pixelsMoved = 0)
{
    ;The mouse was not moved, send the click event
    ; (May want to make it PGUP or something)
    Send {RButton}
    Send {RButtonUp}
}
return

WatchTheMouse:
MouseGetPos, nx, ny
movedx := movedx+nx-ox
movedy := movedy+ny-oy

pixelsMoved := pixelsMoved + Abs(nx-ox) + Abs(ny-oy)

timesX := Abs(movedx) / 8
ControlGetFocus, control, A
Loop, %timesX%
{
    If (movedx > 0)
    {
        SendMessage, 0x114, 1, 0, %control%, A ; 0x114 is WM_HSCROLL
        movedx := movedx - 4
    }
    Else
    {
        SendMessage, 0x114, 0, 0, %control%, A ; 0x114 is WM_HSCROLL
        movedx := movedx + 4
    }
}

timesY := Abs(movedy) / 4
Loop, %timesY%
{
    If (movedy > 0)
    {
        Click WheelDown
        movedy := movedy - 4
    }
    Else
    {
        Click WheelUp
        movedy := movedy + 4
    }
}   

MouseMove ox, oy
return

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Dear thread, if I am a weirdo who holds a Razer Deathadder with a semi-claw, closer sembling to a finger tip grip, what madness of a mouse should I be looking to change to? They've discontinued the currently line of Deathadders and I fear for the death of my current mouse

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

Dear thread, if I am a weirdo who holds a Razer Deathadder with a semi-claw, closer sembling to a finger tip grip, what madness of a mouse should I be looking to change to? They've discontinued the currently line of Deathadders and I fear for the death of my current mouse

I thought death adders did not change shape.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

I thought death adders did not change shape.
they've been changing the outer plastic to stuff I do not want to touch

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

ilifinicus posted:

they've been changing the outer plastic to stuff I do not want to touch

Any chance you want to describe what you don't want to touch?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

ilifinicus posted:

I use a claw grip and went from a deathadder to a mionix naos 7000 (mainly because it uses a similar sensor) and like it so far. Really wouldn't work for a fingertip grip though

breaks
May 12, 2001

I also claw grip and switched from a DA to a Roccat KPM and couldn't be happier. The KPM is noticeably smaller, which I like, but I'm sure some wouldn't.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I used to claw grip my old MX518, but when I went DA I ended up finger tipping it. Guess it's a fairly uncommon thing to be doing.

ColHannibal posted:

Any chance you want to describe what you don't want to touch?

they've kept changing the rubbery thing on each side at the bottom that you're supposed to hold it with, and the one on the DA chroma just did not work with me

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I bought a G502 from Best Buy yesterday, started using it today.. and the mouse wheel is out of balance. If I turn on free scroll mode, it rotates until the heavy side is down. Is this a common problem? I just googled it and it seems quite a few other people have this issue; some don't. I think I'm just going to return it and continue using my old G5.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 11, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
So a Deathadder Chroma I bought 3 months ago just died randomly.

Razer quality.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have a new mouse, the CST 2545-5W.

I'd just like to point out that I used to have to clean my Microsoft Optical Trackball at least once every couple hours for it to be fully accurate, and that in the five months I've owned my CST L-Trac I have cleaned it zero times despite using it constantly at my office. I literally have no idea how to even get the ball out. That is all, thank you for your attention.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'd just like to point out that I used to have to clean my Microsoft Optical Trackball at least once every couple hours for it to be fully accurate, and that in the five months I've owned my CST L-Trac I have cleaned it zero times despite using it constantly at my office. I literally have no idea how to even get the ball out. That is all, thank you for your attention.

It's really easy to get the ball out. Unscrew the screws on the bottom, including the one under the sticker at the base of the mouse, and it comes right apart.

Did you see that AutoHotKey scrolling script? It's handy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

After trying a smattering of mice lately, I have decided that the mouse I want is the one with an FK1's shape, a g303's sensor/build quality and the weight of a finalmouse. :sun:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I have this Lenovo bluetooth mouse and like almost everyone else who has it, the left-click has become unreliable and only works ~50% of the time.

I love the mouse for its appearance, size, and ergonomics but don't like it not fulfilling one of its fundamental functions - any recommendations for a similar bluetooth mouse that doesn't have any extraneous shiny bits but will actually do its job?

E: alternatively, tell me why I shouldn't buy a Logitech T630.

One Swell Foop fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Sep 13, 2015

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

ColHannibal posted:

So a Deathadder Chroma I bought 3 months ago just died randomly.

Razer quality.
It comes with a 2 year warranty make sure to take advantage of it.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

It comes with a 2 year warranty make sure to take advantage of it.

I submitted my ticket, but I cant wait for my new Mionix which I had already ordered.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I have pretty big hands and I've found my little finger feels cramped/unsupported with my Steelseries Sensei. It's reaching the end of its life - the coating is coming off and its main three buttons are starting to double/sticky click. What's good for ergonomic mice? The Func MS-3? Any of the Mionix mice? Will a soft-touch/rubberised coating hold up to my sweaty hands? I only really need Mouse 1-5 and some kind of sensitivity toggle, though the sensitivity hold things like on some Corsair mice looks like it could be nice maybe?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ColHannibal posted:

I submitted my ticket, but I cant wait for my new Mionix which I had already ordered.

I love to hear what you think of this mouse when you get it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Good news for MX Master users, the latest update for Logitech Options re-added per-application settings. This was my only complaint with the mouse, and now that it's resolved, it's truly replaced the MX Revolution in my usage.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

kefkafloyd posted:

Good news for MX Master users, the latest update for Logitech Options re-added per-application settings. This was my only complaint with the mouse, and now that it's resolved, it's truly replaced the MX Revolution in my usage.

Pardon the e/n post, but I really want:

• The G502's size / form factor
  • Wireless
  • The G602's sensor and battery life
  • The MX Master's bluetooth multi-machine toggle thing
  • The MX Master's styling, or something equally drab and muted

Bonus points for the MX Anywhere's ability to work on glass. Will pay $120 for such a mouse. TIA.

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Hi mouse friends!!

What's the current Intellimouse-derivitive? Longtime Intellimouse user here.

I've been through two Razer Imperators and one DethAdder in the last (not that many) years so Razer doesn't strike me as the best 'will last over two years' sort of products.

The old IntelliMouse 3.0 I've been using recently after my latest Razer death just developed a terrible intermittent double-click issue (clicks twice when hit once) so now I need to buy a new mouse.

What to get??

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

admiraldennis posted:

Hi mouse friends!!

I've been through two Razer Imperators and one DethAdder in the last (not that many) years so Razer doesn't strike me as the best 'will last over two years' sort of products.

The old IntelliMouse 3.0 I've been using recently after my latest Razer death just developed a terrible intermittent double-click issue (clicks twice when hit once) so now I need to buy a new mouse.

What to get??

Check out Mionix and see what tickles your fancy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

admiraldennis posted:

Hi mouse friends!!

What to get??

Two IME purist friends of mine caved in and bought a SteelSeries Rival and really enjoy them.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

I currently use this - http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Precision-Programmable-Buttons-Cartridges/dp/B00AAQRNQ8
I really like the thing, its comfortable, has a good weight to it and I mostly use it on my couch so any problems with the laser isn't a big deal, I like the 3 big side buttons. My new dog just ate through the cable, and after I repaired it, it has a few nasty quirks, so I need to replace it.

I plan on just buying the same mouse, but are there any recommendations for something similar, in terms of price and features? I know Anker isn't exactly the G600 or whatever.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
I do a lot of middle clicking at work and that always seems to be the button that dies first on all of the mice I have tried in the past. Can anyone recommend me a wireless mouse that can withstand a lot of middle clicking? I've used a Logitech 325 and 510 but they have both since died on me. Should I get the Performance MX? Amazon currently has a sale on Logitech mice and I use a Logitech keyboard so it would be nice to only use the Unifying Receiver but it's not that big of a deal.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Don't buy the Performance MX, buy the MX Master.

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

durk onion posted:

I do a lot of middle clicking at work and that always seems to be the button that dies first on all of the mice I have tried in the past. Can anyone recommend me a wireless mouse that can withstand a lot of middle clicking? I've used a Logitech 325 and 510 but they have both since died on me. Should I get the Performance MX? Amazon currently has a sale on Logitech mice and I use a Logitech keyboard so it would be nice to only use the Unifying Receiver but it's not that big of a deal.

There's basically no such thing as a mouse that can withstand a lot of any kind of clicking. Logitech, Steelseries, Razer: they all buy the same cheapest switches possible from the same supplier as whoever the hell makes your basic nine dollar Microcenter special, so just buy a big pile of those instead so you're only throwing out $12 worth of mice a year instead of $150.

kefkafloyd posted:

Don't buy the Performance MX, buy the MX Master.

Huh, I just noticed Logitech's started dropping their warranty period from 3 years to 1 on their newer mice. Guess that's one solution.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sam Hall posted:

There's basically no such thing as a mouse that can withstand a lot of any kind of clicking. Logitech, Steelseries, Razer: they all buy the same cheapest switches possible from the same supplier as whoever the hell makes your basic nine dollar Microcenter special, so just buy a big pile of those instead so you're only throwing out $12 worth of mice a year instead of $150.

Huh, I just noticed Logitech's started dropping their warranty period from 3 years to 1 on their newer mice. Guess that's one solution.

I find it hard to believe that 1) any mouse uses the cheapest switches, because the cheapest switches are so crap the mouse would last like a week or 2) that there isn't a mouse company using nice switches that are rated for millions of clicks.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The Omron's most mice use these days are "Rated to 20 million clicks" which actually means '1-2 years lifespan on average.' It's a meaningless number.

It'd be nice if someone made a decent mouse where the switches were just designed to be replaced but I guess that's asking too much, considering it would cut into profits.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
I've never worn out the clicker on a mouse. Maybe I am super gentle and didn't even know it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

The Omron's most mice use these days are "Rated to 20 million clicks" which actually means '1-2 years lifespan on average.' It's a meaningless number.

It'd be nice if someone made a decent mouse where the switches were just designed to be replaced but I guess that's asking too much, considering it would cut into profits.

http://techgage.com/news/asus-gladius-gaming-mouse-offers-a-neat-trick-replaceable-switches/

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I wonder how long the buttons in my L-Trac will last. I've worn out other mice in about 1-2 years. Usually the scroll wheel starts going first, but I've mainly bought the Logitech MX500 lineage before now, which has a known scroll wheel problem.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Just buy some deoxit and spray into your switches if you feel like they're going out. Might not help if the switch is really dead but I've fixed chattering problems this way before.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Hikaki posted:

Just buy some deoxit and spray into your switches if you feel like they're going out. Might not help if the switch is really dead but I've fixed chattering problems this way before.

That is what I did with my MX Revolution. It went back to feeling like new again. I can't believe someone is wearing out switches in mice that quickly needing a replacement in a year or two. They likely just need cleaned.

It looks like if the switches ever so go out on it there are easy enough to replace as well.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I wore the left click on a performance MX out twice. The only thing that killed my seven year old MX Revolution was a new MX Master.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Yeah I had eyeballed that one a couple of times. Unfortunately you still have to take off the mouse feet to even get in to replace the switches (why??) which is pretty dumb. Buttons have ~20ms input lag as well, apparently deliberately added in a later firmware to cover up another double-click issue with the mouse. Along with the weight being heavy (120g, same as the G502) didn't make me want to run out and pick it up. It doesn't look like a bad option though, all things considered.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

kefkafloyd posted:

I wore the left click on a performance MX out twice. The only thing that killed my seven year old MX Revolution was a new MX Master.

I wore out the left click on a Performance MX as well (managed to self-repair it to a usable state tho), then got an MX Master to replace it once the scrollwheel started acting up as well.

I have to say that I just prefer the feel of the Performance (tho I love the Master's features and aesthetics more, not to mention I actually have it synched to 3 machines and the switch option is a lifesaver) and it drives me crazy that some Adobe products like Photoshop and Illustrator just flat out don't like the thumbwheel zoom implementation and instead just sidescroll on my machine even if it's set to "zoom" in Logitech's software.

After some guesswork and testing I think it's because zooming with the scroll/thumbwheels are done with the same command that CTRL and +/- produces on the keyboard, while PS and AI seem to use ALT instead of CTRL.

I really hope they do some tweaks to the software so it'll work or I find some sort of solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
I haven't used a mouse pad at home for years and years. I recently upgraded to a Mionix Naos 7000, and I love it. Then, I moved to a new house and got a new desk. Set up my PC and when I went to start using it, my mouse tracking was ALL banged up: it tracked Y fairly well, but it wasn't moving at all for the X. :(
I dug around my old lady's office and found a mouse pad.
For giggles and grins, I ran the Mionix SQAT on it, and it scored 90%. So let it be known that "dollar store cloth mouse pad with kittens printed on it" is a precision gaming mouse surface. Also, the mouse works perfectly now.