Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Triangulum posted:

if you're taking your shitbull to dog parks and doggie daycare youve got no right to be smug about ~poor dog management~

thats like the definition of mismanaging your pit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So why is the breeding of pugs for aesthetic reasons which lead to even worse (already existent) health issues not an illegal practice

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So why is the breeding of pugs for aesthetic reasons which lead to even worse (already existent) health issues not an illegal practice

Because dog people are idiots

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dyna Soar posted:

cool pet island badges you have there, geeks

uh, its actually a beauty mark

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Dyna Soar posted:

thanks for visiting this thread about dogs and gracing us with your very cool opinions.

please tell me more about pugs or something idk

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

because confo breeders care more about maintaining their lovely traditions more than they care about the breed's healthy and you will never, ever get the US govt to give a poo poo about it. germany's been trying to fix some of the health problems by breeding them to have actual faces but it'll be a cold day in hell before the AKC gets on board with that.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Dogs have all sorts of body language that goes on display before they attack. It might be quick, but if you can't notice and intervene immediately you have no business taking your dog anywhere anyway. Aggressiveness is an inherent feature of many breeds, but it can still be managed.

The one that attacked my dog, showed no signs of whatsoever. None. Came up to me to say hello, went to my dog to seemingly do the same thing, sniffed for about 2 seconds before flipping.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

my breed's entire working purpose is illegal

but conformation breeders are allowed to breed dogs too deformed to live

things are good

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

They had a HUGE pug adoption event here and while I'm all about dogs finding homes I wanted to picket it with a sign that said "PLEASE STOP BREEDING THESE DOGS THEY CAN'T BREATHE" and post something snarky like that every time someone posts their new cute French bulldog pup or whatever

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Superconsndar posted:

Nah I make mine get along with my other animals too

I just don't pretend that they're for anything other than killing other dogs and that they wouldn't still kill each other under the right circumstances and I don't set them up to fail by taking them to daycares and dog parks. They can turn on at any age. The best way to manage it is to let it develop naturally and then teach them correct outlets for those drives. Most trainers try to keep dog aggression from ever having a chance to manifest in the first place. This is unsafe, as it often results in a dog that suddenly turns on in middle age, and now both the dog and owner are suddenly without context for how to manage or channel any of the behavior. Pit bulls are not dog aggressive out of fear. They're dog aggressive because they entire breed was created around dog fighting. While there are some dogs who genuinely lack any drive; the vast majority just have not found themselves in the right circumstances for it to manifest, or had the behavior extinguished at an early age. This is fine if it never does decide to manifest later on, but it usually does to some degree in most pit bulls (at least any that are worth a poo poo) and the modern trend of owners denying this propensity in their dogs is extremely dangerous.

This is an extremely more helpful post. I don't want to come off as denying that pitbulls are bred to be aggressive. I can't learn anything form people just immediately going to *sigh, what an idiot, time for 0-punctuation posts*. We really do supervise him intensely and are always prepared with appropriate diversions if he were to show signs of aggression. He hasn't given us cause to need them yet though. I trust this daycare because the trainer's been in business for 20+ years and has multiple pits herself. I believe her when she tells us she's managing him closely and ensuring that he doesn't cause trouble. She told us up front there will come a point where he can't handle day care anymore and at that point he won't be able to come anymore. That will, with luck, coincide with him not being a puppy anymore so long walks and jogs will be enough to get his energy down and keep him chill around the house. When that time comes, that will also likely be the end of off-leash time at the dog park for him. Right now though he mostly wants to chase frisbees and occasionally wrestle with another dog (as long as that other dog initiates. We've trained him to wait for other dogs to approach and sniff him before he's allowed to smell, and he can't play with dogs who don't initiate the play). We also ask children not to approach him unless we have him on leash and lying down calmly. We give them treats and have them approach calmly to give him a treat, and then they can pet him. Kids is definitely a major area where one incident is basically the end, so that's a situation we make sure is 1000% controlled.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The one that attacked my dog, showed no signs of whatsoever. None. Came up to me to say hello, went to my dog to seemingly do the same thing, sniffed for about 2 seconds before flipping.

It's complicated by the fact that pit bulls often show body language indicative of play behavior before blowing up at another dog, because they were specifically bred to want to fight other dogs. They love it and it is all they exist for.

Now hand a shelter pit to some random dipshit and watch them HAVE NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED!!! when their new dog gleefully, in pure joy, rips the face off of another

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

It is in some countries. Qualzucht laws. Although I don't know if they're actually enforced.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

They had a HUGE pug adoption event here and while I'm all about dogs finding homes I wanted to picket it with a sign that said "PLEASE STOP BREEDING THESE DOGS THEY CAN'T BREATHE" and post something snarky like that every time someone posts their new cute French bulldog pup or whatever

have you ever thought about just screaming into an open toilet, because I do that sometimes when I have good opinions that people aren't going to listen to

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Do vets not discourage it or are people not deterred down the line when their pug(s) need major nasal surgery or

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Huskys and similar sled dogs are really trendy around here at the moment, I see a couple every day. Problem is, I live in the city and those dogs just cannot all live in a house with a backyard, it's impossible. People take dogs whose whole purpose is to run as long as they can into apartments and walk them maybe an hour tops daily, then wonder why their little darling destroys everything.

Dog people are idiots.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

Huskys and similar sled dogs are really trendy around here at the moment, I see a couple every day. Problem is, I live in the city and those dogs just cannot all live in a house with a backyard, it's impossible. People take dogs whose whole purpose is to run as long as they can into apartments and walk them maybe an hour tops daily, then wonder why their little darling destroys everything.

Dog people are idiots.

show us on the doll where the dog hurt you.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
stop taking your shitbulls to the dog park

its not fuckin rocket science

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

wtftastic posted:

show us on the doll where the dog hurt you.

No dog avatar; you're obviously not an expert.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Dyna Soar posted:

No dog avatar; you're obviously not an expert.

your garbage dick av seems oddly appropriate

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is an extremely more helpful post. I don't want to come off as denying that pitbulls are bred to be aggressive. I can't learn anything form people just immediately going to *sigh, what an idiot, time for 0-punctuation posts*. We really do supervise him intensely and are always prepared with appropriate diversions if he were to show signs of aggression. He hasn't given us cause to need them yet though. I trust this daycare because the trainer's been in business for 20+ years and has multiple pits herself. I believe her when she tells us she's managing him closely and ensuring that he doesn't cause trouble. She told us up front there will come a point where he can't handle day care anymore and at that point he won't be able to come anymore. That will, with luck, coincide with him not being a puppy anymore so long walks and jogs will be enough to get his energy down and keep him chill around the house. When that time comes, that will also likely be the end of off-leash time at the dog park for him. Right now though he mostly wants to chase frisbees and occasionally wrestle with another dog (as long as that other dog initiates. We've trained him to wait for other dogs to approach and sniff him before he's allowed to smell, and he can't play with dogs who don't initiate the play). We also ask children not to approach him unless we have him on leash and lying down calmly. We give them treats and have them approach calmly to give him a treat, and then they can pet him. Kids is definitely a major area where one incident is basically the end, so that's a situation we make sure is 1000% controlled.

okay shitposting aside, this sounds significantly more sane and if you're going to insist on taking him to daycare this sounds like the least horrible daycare you could take him to, but seriously, for your sake, I so would nix the dog park thing. I mean obvs you can do what you want with your dog but I've been in this breed for a long time and I can't even begin to list to you how often "finally snapped at some shitlord dog at the dogpark" turns out to be the trigger for a pit bull's dog aggression. You can't manage everything perfectly all the time and you can't control other people and dog parks are cesspits of poor ownership and management. I used to take mine to dog parks when they were young too, when I was newer to the breed. I was lucky enough to never have an incident and I stopped around the age my dogs started to turn on, but I haven't risked it with my last several pits. It's too common for "the one incident that changes everything" to happen in a dog park and it is so not worth the risk when it sounds like you are otherwise doing well. I know you won't listen, because I didn't when people told me the same thing, but ugggGGGh

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
^^^I believe you. It'll be hard to convince my wife he can't handle the park, though. I think when the trainer tells her he can't handle playing with other dogs anymore it'll be easier, but she's way more sold on Worf's 100% safeness than I am. Hopefully I convince her before anything happens rather than after.

Anyway, by way of apologies for the derail have dog pix (humans censored to protect the innocent):

Worf and Thor watching baseball

Worf, napping on my bro, awakened by the sound of the camera.

Worf, perplexed by the sound of an air condition vent. He went over and tried to get the invisible force of the air to play with him for a minute before getting bored and napping in his crate.

Thor, in classic beagle/dachshund form, having formed a fort and initiated begging for french fries. Those pillows were all neatly in the corner of the couch before he dragged them to that position, adjusted them, then crawled underneath to really get his beg on.

The MUMPSorceress fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 8, 2015

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I used to have that same Target rug. ^5 rug buddy.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Superconsndar posted:

I used to have that same Target rug. ^5 rug buddy.

I swear, 90% of my furniture and clothes are from Target these days. Also pictured: Target throw pillows that we had to throw away because Worf's chin acne decided to explode all over them. That poo poo looks really painful and I feel back for the little guy. Trainer says that all pit bulls get it and it never really goes away. Has that been true in your experience?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

All of the rescue pits I had had it to some degree. Of my current two, my hogging bred one has it REALLY BAD, and my gamebred one doesn't have it at all. He's the only one out of all I've owned that hasn't.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Why do you like the breed so much, if I may ask?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

mental illness

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Like really I just have this horrible autistic fascination with the concept of gameness as an inheritable trait and the specific culture around the development of the breed in its working form

im not into them for any good or moving reason, I genuinely wish I could get into any other breed because I also have a farm and managing murderbeasts around livestock and guardian dogs is a ton of bullshit work and no one should do it ever

I started out by adopting a garbage rescue pit with a garbage temperament a billion years ago and then I got into researching the breed and it just kind of happened

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

i have tried to like other things but turns out i just really like murderdogs

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Could one make some kind of pitbull chariot?

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
As in, hooking a giant pit bull to a cart and letting it barrel down the street while you ride and feel the wind in your face

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Yep, somebody tried it

http://youtu.be/pGjkjTdlS3o

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Basically the take away from this is that you need to be honest with yourself about breed traits, have a solid plan in place is case some of the more unpleasant ones pop up, and not set your dog up to fail by putting them in situations where that sort of behavior is likely to manifest.

When it comes to aggressive breeds, hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dog sulky is totally a thing and everyone should try it if you aren't a 900 pound hambeast and you have a dog who wants to loving Go all the time.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

So I've been doing fieldwork in Russia for the past couple of months and have come back to one distressed malamute.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Worf's favorite things in the world are tug and carrying stuff in his mouth. I'm pretty sure he'd die of happiness if he could pull a pitbull cart with his mouth.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Pax saw a fox near the property and lost his poo poo. He disappeared off into the woods for a minute before returning. He's up to date on his rabies vaccine, and I don't see any visible wounds on him. Is this enough to protect him? A rabid fox was found a few miles from here

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Is pax going to go cujo on me

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Generally the rabies vaccine is fine. You're probably fine. Just watch and if he starts drooling in the next 10 days, it's time for the vet. Like. Now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Since moving back to the county from the city I have really started to dislike foxes