Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've only watched a couple of episodes, I think from S2, but it needs a lot more making fun of shoddy construction/contractors and a lot less reality style "detective work" and "sting house".
It's fine to sting them, but don't waste so much time having fake phone conversations with Skip's wife repeating the sob story we already heard once.

Like Mythbusters and some other shows, it's a lot more bearable (and time saving) if you watch it with judicious use of the Skip 10 Seconds button every time they repeat themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I agree on that. Most of the show should just be Adam ripping on the work and making jokes about stuff. All the detective stuff seems fake and boring. Maybe part of the problem is that it feels like Adam has a very limited schedule for shooting.

I'd love to see a "Holmes on Homes" type show with Carolla.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

Niwrad posted:

I agree on that. Most of the show should just be Adam ripping on the work and making jokes about stuff. All the detective stuff seems fake and boring. Maybe part of the problem is that it feels like Adam has a very limited schedule for shooting.

I'd love to see a "Holmes on Homes" type show with Carolla.

Adam isn't anywhere close to that knowledgable though.

Which is another reason why they can't work outside Southern California on the show.

ChaosMonkey
Jun 28, 2008

Boinks posted:

Awesome. Usually when I pull a Carolla with my wife it's me angrily complaining about something stupid.

My ex-wife bitched and moaned and complained all the time, And not needing a double dose of THAT poo poo is one of the many reasons I stopped listening to Carolla, not to mention one of the reasons I shrugged and said "Whatever" when she said she wanted to split.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Am I alone in saying STFU Gina all the time when listening? She constantly tries to inject one word non-sequiturs into other peoples stream of thoughts.

I love that they were bitching about Dr.Drew doing this, and as soon as Fitzsimmons started a thought Gina interrupted him and he said "You Dr. Drewed me!"

I got a laugh out of that.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

She is terrible. Not sure why Adam is obsessed with getting the most stereotypical female morning zoo sidekick he could find.

Also did anyone listen to episodes a month ago where they cover Lynette being kicked off the Southwest flight? There's zero chance she "did nothing", right?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Adam - "We've got a new mash-up to play."

Gina - (audible gasp) "Oh yes I can't wait to hear it!" :newlol:

No one is that enthusiastic all the time Gina.

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor

Niwrad posted:

She is terrible. Not sure why Adam is obsessed with getting the most stereotypical female morning zoo sidekick he could find.

Also did anyone listen to episodes a month ago where they cover Lynette being kicked off the Southwest flight? There's zero chance she "did nothing", right?

I too find Gina to be incredibly mediocre and unfunny.

100% agree on the Lynette thing, there is no loving way she did nothing to get kicked off like that. He is such a pussy for not going at her the way he would anyone else. Like, if you're not going to be honest about it, why bring it up? Just made me like you a little less.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

visuvius posted:

I too find Gina to be incredibly mediocre and unfunny.

100% agree on the Lynette thing, there is no loving way she did nothing to get kicked off like that. He is such a pussy for not going at her the way he would anyone else. Like, if you're not going to be honest about it, why bring it up? Just made me like you a little less.

I haven't listened to this show in awhile but if Adam is still constantly talking about coaching her up, how he pays for everything and how she's a non-contributor then I'd imagine not taking her side would be grounds for divorce.

I also hope he's still devoting a portion of the show to clarify that he prefers his son to his daughter and that his children's rankings are earned.

rest his guts fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 3, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

rest his guts posted:

I also hope he's still devoting a portion of the show to clarify that he prefers his son to his daughter and that his children's rankings are earned.

What an amazing example of parenting. Sounds like he's angling to have a sex worker for a daughter once she turns the ripe old age of 16.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Or he's a comedian making a joke.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

His wife sounds like a spoiled bitch. Oh its so hard to raise these kids when I have no job and a full time nanny.

On one of the forums, Dimeforscale I think, they were talking about how Lynette gave her daughter benadryl so she would go to sleep. Good parenting there Lynette.

OTOH Sonny sounds chill as gently caress and its no surprise hes Adams favorite.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The whole story really sounded like it was coming from an alcoholic or addict of sorts. I'm sure mistakes are made but they don't just randomly walk up to women on a plane and ask them to leave often. She was either being rowdy or passed out drunk.

Not sure if other people have listened to it, but Lynette was on the Mental Illness Happy Hour a year ago. She was apparently heavily addicted to Vicodin for the first 5 years after the twins were born. Believe she went on Suboxone or something to kick the habit. Wouldn't be a huge stretch to think she's just switched her addiction to alcohol at this point.

It's a good episode of that podcast if you get bored. She had a pretty hosed up childhood. Believe her Mom and brother were schizophrenic. I think Adam had mentioned a story over the years about having to have her Mom involuntarily committed.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Adam used to have a bit where he's say "Whenever somebody tells a story that starts with 'I just walked up to the bank teller and she started screaming at me for no reason' you know they're lying because nobody would ever start screaming at somebody else for no reason whatsoever."

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Human Tornada posted:

Adam used to have a bit where he's say "Whenever somebody tells a story that starts with 'I just walked up to the bank teller and she started screaming at me for no reason' you know they're lying because nobody would ever start screaming at somebody else for no reason whatsoever."
I remember back when he left regular radio and started the podcast, his very first episode was him talking about how radio producer guys are like beavers, you put them up on top of a skyscraper and they'll try to build a dam because that's all they know how to do.

Jump forward 5+ years or whatever it's been, and the show's almost completely transformed into a morning zoo with a soundboard, the standard sidekick news girl and Pepsi ads :sigh:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I remember back when he left regular radio and started the podcast, his very first episode was him talking about how radio producer guys are like beavers, you put them up on top of a skyscraper and they'll try to build a dam because that's all they know how to do.

Jump forward 5+ years or whatever it's been, and the show's almost completely transformed into a morning zoo with a soundboard, the standard sidekick news girl and Pepsi ads :sigh:

My favorite quote of his will always be something along the lines of "My radio show is better than other shows because other people are comedy warehouses, just bringing out the same material over and over again. What I do is harder, I'm a comedy factory, producing new comedy all the time. "

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Yeah it was a lot better when Adam had a boss so he could rail against the man.

Now he's the boss so just denigrates his minions and bitches about the poor.

bartok
May 10, 2006

My favorite is how Adam would talk about how great at improv he is because he could rant on anything. I bought in to it until you realize he has like a dozen rants that he can segue into from any topic.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bartok posted:

My favorite is how Adam would talk about how great at improv he is because he could rant on anything. I bought in to it until you realize he has like a dozen rants that he can segue into from any topic.

"Can I complain about a free tropical vacation? You're drat right I can. How do I get to this fabulous island? Well I get on the airplane where I'm given my bag of pretzels because God forbid there is any peanut dust in the air, and next to me is some fat lady with her service dog...."

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Medullah posted:

"Can I complain about a free tropical vacation? You're drat right I can. How do I get to this fabulous island? Well I get on the airplane where I'm given my bag of pretzels because God forbid there is any peanut dust in the air, and next to me is some fat lady with her service dog...."

A...Adam?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
I PAY TAXES BITCH

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

A couple things in regards to Lynette. She doesn't have an outside job because of Adam. He has told her and he has said this before on his own podcast that her prefers her to be at home with the kids. That now that they have kids, he doesn't want her to work outside the home. But she actually does have a job - she runs Mangria. She coordinates promotional things all over the US, goes to them, etc. She sets up contacts and contracts for distribution in various liquor stores and bars/clubs. She also does take care of the kids. She's with them every morning and gets them off to school and she picks them up. She takes them to their various activities - girl scouts, sports, school poo poo. She watches them at home, watches their friends when their friends come over. Olga actually only steps in when she has an obligation to be somewhere else - like promoting Mangria stuff or PTA poo poo. Also, Adam does not like having hired help to clean the house. He doesn't like people in his space and how they move things and put things away where they're not supposed to be. So Lynette keeps the house clean. She cooks the meals as well and essentially runs interference against anyone who bothers him at home. She doesn't sit on the couch and eat bon-bons all day long. No, she doesn't job in place while he's out on tour, but she pulls her fair share around the house and keeps that poo poo running so Adam can run off on his tours and shows and races. That's their balance.

As far as the airplane thing - well I heard a very long and detailed version on her own show. I've been listening to her show for a few years now and she's really not the kind of person to be crazy drunk and making a scene. At most, I think she may have been a bit more forceful in rejecting the guy who kept asking to switch seats. Perhaps nice at first, but she had to tell him no a couple times, so it's possible she may have gotten a bit curt and rude about it after the first couple times. People assumed they were travelling together due to the guys insistence that his neighbor switch so she could sit next to him. So yeah, she was kicked off the flight a long with the instigator because they thought they were together. If Lynette was the kid f person who was outrageous when drunk or throws a spoiled tantrum, do you honestly think Adam would even be with her? gently caress no. Adam doesn't like to be embarrassed and he sure as poo poo would not put up with it from his loving wife. You have to understand that they dated for a long time and then he broke up with her because he wanted to date other women. He was just getting big on The Man Show and he tried his hand at dating the hanger-oners, the booze babes, and the spoiled high maintenance girls. He came back to Lynette because he liked that she wasn't those things.

diwilli
Jul 16, 2011

Dear Prudence posted:

A couple things in regards to Lynette. She doesn't have an outside job because of Adam. He has told her and he has said this before on his own podcast that her prefers her to be at home with the kids. That now that they have kids, he doesn't want her to work outside the home. But she actually does have a job - she runs Mangria. She coordinates promotional things all over the US, goes to them, etc. She sets up contacts and contracts for distribution in various liquor stores and bars/clubs. She also does take care of the kids. She's with them every morning and gets them off to school and she picks them up. She takes them to their various activities - girl scouts, sports, school poo poo. She watches them at home, watches their friends when their friends come over. Olga actually only steps in when she has an obligation to be somewhere else - like promoting Mangria stuff or PTA poo poo. Also, Adam does not like having hired help to clean the house. He doesn't like people in his space and how they move things and put things away where they're not supposed to be. So Lynette keeps the house clean. She cooks the meals as well and essentially runs interference against anyone who bothers him at home. She doesn't sit on the couch and eat bon-bons all day long. No, she doesn't job in place while he's out on tour, but she pulls her fair share around the house and keeps that poo poo running so Adam can run off on his tours and shows and races. That's their balance.

As far as the airplane thing - well I heard a very long and detailed version on her own show. I've been listening to her show for a few years now and she's really not the kind of person to be crazy drunk and making a scene. At most, I think she may have been a bit more forceful in rejecting the guy who kept asking to switch seats. Perhaps nice at first, but she had to tell him no a couple times, so it's possible she may have gotten a bit curt and rude about it after the first couple times. People assumed they were travelling together due to the guys insistence that his neighbor switch so she could sit next to him. So yeah, she was kicked off the flight a long with the instigator because they thought they were together. If Lynette was the kid f person who was outrageous when drunk or throws a spoiled tantrum, do you honestly think Adam would even be with her? gently caress no. Adam doesn't like to be embarrassed and he sure as poo poo would not put up with it from his loving wife. You have to understand that they dated for a long time and then he broke up with her because he wanted to date other women. He was just getting big on The Man Show and he tried his hand at dating the hanger-oners, the booze babes, and the spoiled high maintenance girls. He came back to Lynette because he liked that she wasn't those things.

Could this be anybody but Gio?

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

maybe lynette felt offended and wasn't going to stand for it, thus sparking her outrage. it's just that there is no reality where she was minding her own business and was suddenly attacked verbally then thrown off the plane.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dear Prudence posted:

Adam has mentioned numerous time that Lynette doesnt like to cook. Whenever he talks about that meal place he advertises he says Olga cooks the food. So youre wrong there. I think youre really minimizing Olgas role in the Carolla household. If Adam didnt want someone cleaning his house why has he had a housekeeper for the past 15 years? I agree he doesnt like it when the cleaning people are in his way, but thats just Adam being Adam. I guarantee you theres more to the plane story that we are not hearing.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Adam fired the gardener for leaving the gate to the pool open, and fired longtime friends and co-workers for passive-aggressive reasons.

I can't believe Olga still works at the Carolla house.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Red posted:

Adam fired the gardener for leaving the gate to the pool open, and fired longtime friends and co-workers for passive-aggressive reasons.

I can't believe Olga still works at the Carolla house.

You talking about Donny?

That guy was worthless and he became very jealous of Mike August. Adam constantly fought with him, I wouldnt call it passive aggressive.

The gardener repeatedly left the gate to the pool open when told not to do that. pools are like the #1 killer of small children I wouldve fired him too.

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.
Yeah, on the scale of unreasonable Carolla behavior that doesn't even move the needle.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

JB50 posted:

Adam has mentioned numerous time that Lynette doesnt like to cook. Whenever he talks about that meal place he advertises he says Olga cooks the food. So youre wrong there. I think youre really minimizing Olgas role in the Carolla household. If Adam didnt want someone cleaning his house why has he had a housekeeper for the past 15 years? I agree he doesnt like it when the cleaning people are in his way, but thats just Adam being Adam. I guarantee you theres more to the plane story that we are not hearing.

Doesn't like to cook is not the same as doesn't cook. Adam is known to be hyperbolic about situations for entertainment and comedic effect. Lynette fully admits she doesn't like cooking but she does cook. They also go out to eat and order in. But she is not relying or requiring Olga to do the cooking. Olga is a big help in the house with handling the kids when Lynette is working. I've never heard from Adam or Lynette that Olga does the cleaning. Lynette does it as far as I know.

I'm not saying that Lynette is the perfect housewife. What I am saying is she is not the lazy, booze addled, spoiled bitch that people are making her out to be. She does plenty in the house and for the business. But what's more entertaining - my wife is great and really does a lot to keep things running around the house, or my wife doesn't do anything?

When Lynette told the story of what happened on the plane, she talked about it for a good 45 minutes. I don't know how long it easy on ACS, but she certainly did not paint a picture that she didn't do anything. She fully admits she talked to the guy in line while waiting to board, that they had interactions that would make it look like they were travelling together. She says she told the guy several times no she didn't want to switch seats. The business man the crazed guy was trying to get to move talked to Lynette and she said no I don't want to change seats. He told the guy "she doesn't want to switch, okay?" And the crazed guy called him something like a little bitch or an rear end in a top hat or something. That's when the flight attendant got involved and things snowballed.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Dear Prudence posted:

Doesn't like to cook is not the same as doesn't cook. Adam is known to be hyperbolic about situations for entertainment and comedic effect. Lynette fully admits she doesn't like cooking but she does cook. They also go out to eat and order in. But she is not relying or requiring Olga to do the cooking. Olga is a big help in the house with handling the kids when Lynette is working. I've never heard from Adam or Lynette that Olga does the cleaning. Lynette does it as far as I know.

I'm not saying that Lynette is the perfect housewife. What I am saying is she is not the lazy, booze addled, spoiled bitch that people are making her out to be. She does plenty in the house and for the business. But what's more entertaining - my wife is great and really does a lot to keep things running around the house, or my wife doesn't do anything?

When Lynette told the story of what happened on the plane, she talked about it for a good 45 minutes. I don't know how long it easy on ACS, but she certainly did not paint a picture that she didn't do anything. She fully admits she talked to the guy in line while waiting to board, that they had interactions that would make it look like they were travelling together. She says she told the guy several times no she didn't want to switch seats. The business man the crazed guy was trying to get to move talked to Lynette and she said no I don't want to change seats. He told the guy "she doesn't want to switch, okay?" And the crazed guy called him something like a little bitch or an rear end in a top hat or something. That's when the flight attendant got involved and things snowballed.

WTF do you live with them?

Of course Olga does cooking and cleaning and watching the kids, shes the loving nanny/maid for gods sake. Im not sure why youre arguing this.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

JB50 posted:

WTF do you live with them?

Of course Olga does cooking and cleaning and watching the kids, shes the loving nanny/maid for gods sake. Im not sure why youre arguing this.

I'm not arguing the point. I'm simply saying Lynette does a lot more than Adam lets on. I listen to Lynette's podcast and she's very open about her life and gossips a lot about things. I just find it interesting the differences between what Adam fans know and what Lynette fans know.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

while i don't believe a lot of what adam says either, it would be pretty weird if she on her own podcast painted herself as a mother/wife who didn't do much around the house. sort of like if she recorded an episode where she described the plane incident in any way that would make her seem at fault.

what i'm saying is they're both terrible, i guess

visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
I wish Carolla would just loving quit the Adam and Drew show. He makes it VERY obvious that he does not enjoy taking calls and he barely enjoys having any semblance of a diaglog with Drew. He literally just wants to lecture for 50 minutes, throw in a couple live reads and call it a day. Listen to the episode with Fred Stoller for a prime example of how much of a short tempered dickhead he has become. He was just snapping and getting annoyed at Drew for no real reason and you could tell he was barely tolerating Fred and the asian dude. He was being polite but you could tell he was over this poo poo.

Contrast that to the latest episode where Adam is gone and Jim Jeffries is filling in. It is an infinitely more enjoyable listen. If I were Carolla, I'd give Jeffries a cut of the show and ask him to take over for him. Adam clearly does not have the same joy or interest for this kind of poo poo. He basically just wants to rant and don't you loving dare disagree with him an iota. gently caress even when Bald Bryan or Drew are agreeing with him, its in a way that annoys him or in a way that he feels does not FULLY reinforce his point. Its loving pathetic.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

visuvius posted:

I wish Carolla would just loving quit the Adam and Drew show. He makes it VERY obvious that he does not enjoy taking calls and he barely enjoys having any semblance of a diaglog with Drew. He literally just wants to lecture for 50 minutes, throw in a couple live reads and call it a day. Listen to the episode with Fred Stoller for a prime example of how much of a short tempered dickhead he has become. He was just snapping and getting annoyed at Drew for no real reason and you could tell he was barely tolerating Fred and the asian dude. He was being polite but you could tell he was over this poo poo.

Contrast that to the latest episode where Adam is gone and Jim Jeffries is filling in. It is an infinitely more enjoyable listen. If I were Carolla, I'd give Jeffries a cut of the show and ask him to take over for him. Adam clearly does not have the same joy or interest for this kind of poo poo. He basically just wants to rant and don't you loving dare disagree with him an iota. gently caress even when Bald Bryan or Drew are agreeing with him, its in a way that annoys him or in a way that he feels does not FULLY reinforce his point. Its loving pathetic.

I quit listening to the show beacuse you can tell what day they are recorded as he repeats all the same stuff he said that day on the regular podcast.I agree that Adam may be overextending himself these days. Loveline was good because Adam had no other outlets for his rants. Thats a good idea to let other people co-host the show.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Loveline was good because Adam had good ideas and could express them convincingly with metaphor and humor, AND because he was addressing actual peoples' problems with them. Now it's mostly addressing minor very-specific-to-his-life bothers that he writes down on buck slips. And yeah he had less other stuff going on / was more focused / was younger.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I do still listen to ADS, but the calls being from "fans" means that they are nowhere near as interesting nor provide opportunities for humour as Loveline "callers".

JGdmn
Jun 12, 2005

Like I give a fuck.

pangstrom posted:

Loveline was good because Adam had good ideas and could express them convincingly with metaphor and humor, AND because he was addressing actual peoples' problems with them. Now it's mostly addressing minor very-specific-to-his-life bothers that he writes down on buck slips. And yeah he had less other stuff going on / was more focused / was younger.

After listening to Adam since 1995, I'm not sure if there is a more succinct way to put it. Kudos.

Don't listen to Adam and Drew. It's the worst of both of them.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

visuvius posted:

And for the longest time you could turn the Adam and Drew show into a drinking that would lead to death if you drank based on Adam mentioning Huffington Post, Gavin Newsom, or school to prison pipeline.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

pangstrom posted:

I think there are two more important distinctions. At Loveline, he was dealing with the masses calling in. On his own show, it's his own fans - super fans at that, since they're the ones paying attention to twitter to call into a taped show. So instead of a clueless 16 year old who's easy to make fun of, it's "Hey Ace man, love the show, love Mangria..." Way less potential for entertainment there.

And the other one is he wasn't in charge at Loveline. He could show up 1 minute before going on, gently caress around for two hours and then leave and never think about the studio until the next day. Now it's his studio, his broadcast, his money. Now he obsesses over who's using his studio and his resources and micromanaging poo poo like who is leaving mugs out and chip bags open. I know he talked about that stuff on Loveline, but it's got a way more personal slant now. At Loveline it was comedic musings about open cans of food in the fridge and such, now he acts like it's a giant "gently caress you" to him if a co-worker (his employee) leaves an open bottle of Coke on the table.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Sep 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

He's likely overextended.

He has several podcasts with multiple episodes a week, a TV show, guest spots on other podcasts, various interviews, comedy tours, Mangria, a couple of movies within the past year, some voice acting gigs, and seems to be putting out a new book every 1-2 years. He is also in his 50s so his energy levels are nowhere near what they were during the Loveline heyday when he was in his 30s. He's doing a lot and part of me suspects that he is irked that he still has to hustle his rear end off six years after launching Carolla Digital. I don't really agree with much of what he has to say these days but he is working his rear end off and after a while, you will start to cut corners mentally. Unfortunately that means hearing about the school to prison pipeline non-stop for two years.