Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Aesis posted:

I seriously don't get how they can gently caress up concealment. They implemented it alright on WoT but this absolute value of 'can't get spotted at all past X range' is utter bull poo poo. Also DDs sitting inside smoke 2 km off and I can't spot but they can? Wow.

I thought they couldn't either, but that they can see you if a teammate could?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah if you are in a smokecloud you can't spot anything either but you can see targets that your team can see.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I was in the smoke with him but my indicator never went off. By the time I spotted that DD at about 1.5 km it already pooped 8+ torps at me :v:

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Does Tirpitz print silver?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Also any fast way of farming xp? I'm currently rotating 4 ships as fast as I can but only managed to farm 20k xp in 4 hours with premium.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Aesis posted:

Also any fast way of farming xp? I'm currently rotating 4 ships as fast as I can but only managed to farm 20k xp in 4 hours with premium.

"Rotating" 4 ships seems excessive for normal play. I find that I can usually swap between two ships, and ideally only one (because I'm not dying). Are you trying to be hyperaggressive and suiciding? That doesn't seem like the ideal way to play, what with travel time generally being the limiting gameplay factor.

In terms of practical tips, don't engage alone. Even if your ship out classes the enemy, you'll get better firing angles and shot at less if you don't lone wolf it. I'm guilty of this too often myself, especially when using CAs and I try and kite battleships.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
So either I'm really good at this game (unlikely) or everyone at low tiers are poo poo. I have lost 2 matches, drew one, and won like 50. My k/d is over 4. I am only using the t3 St. Louis. About the only thing that ever kills me are torpedoes. Battleships are funny, I generally just steam toward them, wait till they shoot, turn a bit to get more guns on them, fire, turn back etc. I set them on fire a lot.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Aesis posted:

I was in the smoke with him but my indicator never went off. By the time I spotted that DD at about 1.5 km it already pooped 8+ torps at me :v:

If you were "in the smoke with him" then you would have seen him. Smoke clouds rarely get larger than 2KM wide, unless the DD is not actually sitting still in his smoke cloud and is retreating. And if he was retreating, and you were giving chase, you would be angled towards him, making it easier to dodge torps.

Anyways, chasing DDs into smoke clouds isn't a wise decision. What would you do if the DD suddenly appeared at 2KM boating straight at you? You've likely got one volley to stop him, before he turns broadside and dumps torps into you at minimum arming distance range.

Not a lot of ships can do crazy poo poo outside of their detection range. Firing your guns adds 4km to your detection range, so while some US DDs can actually shoot while remaining concealed (assuming they stay in the perfect zone from ships and do not get spotted by a plane or boat they can't see), this is also the edge of their range, meaning they're dropping floaty 5 inch shells on you, much like a Cleveland taking potshots at its max range. Then there are IJN torps, but dodging those things is a rite of passage for anyone advancing past T5.

Edit: Also, your minimum detection range is 2km. You ALWAYS detect boats at 2KM and less, even on the other side of mountains or inside smoke. Hydroacoustic Search raises this to ~3km for its active duration, as well as giving an autodetect to all torpedoes within its torpedo acquisition range. Less effective against the Type 93 torps, as its quite near their detection range already, but VERY effective against low tier US torps, with their small detection ranges.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 8, 2015

Kuntz
Feb 17, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Firing your guns adds 4km to your detection range

For how long exactly? It feels like a fairly long time. Also leads to annoying situations where you fire your guns from behind an island, pop out from behind said island a few seconds later and magically get spotted.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kuntz posted:

For how long exactly? It feels like a fairly long time. Also leads to annoying situations where you fire your guns from behind an island, pop out from behind said island a few seconds later and magically get spotted.

20 seconds. The extra detection from shooting your guns is much larger on CAs and BBs, but its +4km for DDs.
Shooting your AA guns increases air detection range by 2km, though this is immediately removed once you disable your AA.

If you're on fire, add another 2 KM to surface detection range, and 3km to air detection range.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

jassi007 posted:

So either I'm really good at this game (unlikely) or everyone at low tiers are poo poo. I have lost 2 matches, drew one, and won like 50. My k/d is over 4. I am only using the t3 St. Louis. About the only thing that ever kills me are torpedoes. Battleships are funny, I generally just steam toward them, wait till they shoot, turn a bit to get more guns on them, fire, turn back etc. I set them on fire a lot.

While I was grinding to and through the Kuma my win percent was over 90% (I actually unlocked the Furutaka with a 100% win percent in the Kuma, although it's dropped now). The maps are small enough, the battleships fragile enough and the population clueless enough that it's very possible for one person to strongly influence round outcome. So good job.

Unfortunately, maps get a lot bigger, and HP differences make it harder to carry a round. A great tier 8 cruiser round might have you deal 100-150k damage. Which ends up being only three tier 8 ships worth of HP. Enjoy your win rate while you can, or just stay at low tier.

Velius fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 8, 2015

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I just got started playing this game, despite having the beta for a while. Anyway, I saw in the OP that there is some way to get a time on target indicator for your sight. How do you go about enabling that?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Hazdoc posted:

20 seconds. The extra detection from shooting your guns is much larger on CAs and BBs, but its +4km for DDs.
Shooting your AA guns increases air detection range by 2km, though this is immediately removed once you disable your AA.

If you're on fire, add another 2 KM to surface detection range, and 3km to air detection range.

It's ~6 km for cruisers and ~12 km for battleships.
It looks like with all the camo upgrades you can camo snipe in a North Carolina (at 21 km) :v: If I had the motivation to play this game enough to unlock it without premium I'd try setting it up for camo, getting within 12 km before being spotted might be funny.

jadebullet posted:

So I just got started playing this game, despite having the beta for a while. Anyway, I saw in the OP that there is some way to get a time on target indicator for your sight. How do you go about enabling that?

Alternate interface mode in the settings, controls tab. It says it affects performance but I didn't notice anything on an integrated graphics laptop.
Or hold down ALT.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

NM

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

jassi007 posted:

I had an amazing win/loss and KDR until I realized pve was a selection.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I'm so close to just saying gently caress it and citadeling friendly ships who pay no loving attention when firing their torpedoes and either hit me, or block off my movement so I'm forced into sailing into a terrible position which results in my quick death.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Thanks guys.

One more quick question. I am using the first IJN Battleship and I was wondering if there was a reason that my shots seem wildly inaccurate. I am at a moderately long range, but not the maximum range, and I fire my guns, but they seem to tend to land around the enemy ship, as opposed to where I am aiming. I've managed to fire a full volley and had only one shell hit, the rest of the shells landing in front of, and behind the ship. (inrelation to me, not to the enemy ship. As in some undershoot, some overshoot)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

jadebullet posted:

Thanks guys.

One more quick question. I am using the first IJN Battleship and I was wondering if there was a reason that my shots seem wildly inaccurate. I am at a moderately long range, but not the maximum range, and I fire my guns, but they seem to tend to land around the enemy ship, as opposed to where I am aiming. I've managed to fire a full volley and had only one shell hit, the rest of the shells landing in front of, and behind the ship. (inrelation to me, not to the enemy ship. As in some undershoot, some overshoot)

Welcome to low-tier battleships.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

wdarkk posted:

Welcome to low-tier battleships.

Fixed for you.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

DurosKlav posted:

Fixed for you.

The high-tier battleships shooting at me always feel really accurate. That's probably confirmation bias though.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

wdarkk posted:

The high-tier battleships shooting at me always feel really accurate. That's probably confirmation bias though.

They're a bit better about it but still not great. Having a fewer amount of actual guns helps I think, at least in the case of US BB, as well as knowing how to aim a bit better by that point. Its a lot more pronounced when you fire 12 shots and only get 4 hits and less noticeable when you're firing 9 and hitting with 3.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 8, 2015

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DurosKlav posted:

They're a bit better about it but still not great. Having a fewer amount of actual guns helps I think, at least in the case of US BB, as well as knowing how to aim a bit better by that point.

Another thing that helps is that higher-tier battleships tend to have vastly higher ranges, while overall retaining about the same "dispersion at maximum range" stat. So if you shoot at 10km or less (like you should always strive to do) while having ~20km max range, you'll find your shots clustering much more closely together than if you would try it with a ship that has only ~10 km max range.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
By the way, does anyone know if they will eventually add the Tone Class Japanese cruiser? I'm kind of a weirdo, but I love the idea of a cruiser with only forward guns. It was my favorite ship to use in Battlestations Pacific.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Back to boats after a long hiatus and have a few questions as somewho who...missed the boat on the Marblehead and the other fun you all have been having.

I had a Phoenix which I actually love playing, I can reliably get 40k damage even on a loss, including one game where I was citadeled for 90% of my health early in the game and proceeded to pick away at the enemy and fend off DDs for about 35k damage before succumbing, and I've obviously heard good things about the Omaha and Cleveland. Similarly, I enjoyed running a Wickes using the strategy of guns first, torps when the opportunity arises someone suggested to me with enough success to plow through the grind in 3 matches so I now have a Clemson.

Still only have the tier III Japanese CA and DD, and a Wyoming which I haven't really played yet.

Question for you all is, what's the best line(s) to commit to first to get a good footing. Is the Japanese cruiser line worth it? For that matter, should I even bother with the Japanese DDs?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Looking through my BB stats my accuracy is pretty much sitting at around 25-30%

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

jadebullet posted:

By the way, does anyone know if they will eventually add the Tone Class Japanese cruiser? I'm kind of a weirdo, but I love the idea of a cruiser with only forward guns. It was my favorite ship to use in Battlestations Pacific.

The Tone class only have 6 8" guns, albeit in an all forward arrangement as you mentioned. It's tricky to balance that, although I guess they could put it in with a 6 to 8 second reload or something.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

jadebullet posted:

It's on the chart some forumites put together of planned tech trees.

Incidentally I'm really looking forward to the British BBs/BCs.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Blindeye posted:

Back to boats after a long hiatus and have a few questions as somewho who...missed the boat on the Marblehead and the other fun you all have been having.

I had a Phoenix which I actually love playing, I can reliably get 40k damage even on a loss, including one game where I was citadeled for 90% of my health early in the game and proceeded to pick away at the enemy and fend off DDs for about 35k damage before succumbing, and I've obviously heard good things about the Omaha and Cleveland. Similarly, I enjoyed running a Wickes using the strategy of guns first, torps when the opportunity arises someone suggested to me with enough success to plow through the grind in 3 matches so I now have a Clemson.

Still only have the tier III Japanese CA and DD, and a Wyoming which I haven't really played yet.

Question for you all is, what's the best line(s) to commit to first to get a good footing. Is the Japanese cruiser line worth it? For that matter, should I even bother with the Japanese DDs?

The low to mid tier Japanese DDs are great, the japanese cruisers are pretty good, and both BB lines are mostly decent T5 and up.
American cruisers are a pretty good line to commit to, though.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Blindeye posted:

Just from the Aoba I think its a good line to go down, laser accurate(if you can aim) and they get 203 guns which lay a ton of hurt much quicker than the US line I believe.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 8, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Blindeye posted:

The IJN cruisers line is my favorite right now. Early 8" guns reward accurate firing with lots of citadels. While the Cleveland is overpowered at tier 6, the Kuma, Aoba, Myoko, and Mogami are all amazing ships, and even the Furutaka is solid now I think. The only iffy ship right now seems to be the Ibuki, and that suffers from being an incrementally better Myoko when the latter is just way too good for tier 7.

The torpedoes are situational for sure, but when the situation calls for them they're devastating.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour
I thought the Chikuma was a Tone-class?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Velius posted:

The Tone class only have 6 8" guns, albeit in an all forward arrangement as you mentioned. It's tricky to balance that, although I guess they could put it in with a 6 to 8 second reload or something.

Not quite as bad as you think, given it actually carried 8 8" guns, not 6. And it's not like it'd be the only ship that loses guns of the same caliber at a higher tier. The real issue is that its design really was built around providing floatplane support to fleets, with the reason for all four turrets being mounted in the front being to allow space for a rail system to allow them to be quickly launched, and I'm not really sure how that would translate to WoWS. Maybe have it launch multiple floatplanes with a larger loiter radius and/or longer loiter time? Mainly just trying to figure out how to put it at the theorized Tier IX, where the other IJN cruiser is already carrying 10 guns.

Anyways, here's the silhouette.

edit: ^^

yaay posted:

I thought the Chikuma was a Tone-class?

The Chikuma in game currently is a protected cruiser that was the lead ship of its class, launched in 1911. The Chikuma which was the second Tone-class was launched in 1938. Completely different ships, as most nations reuse names like that - See: USS Enterprise for the most well-known example of this.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 8, 2015

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
It had four forward? That's way better. I can see that being a tier 8ish ship, but tricky to use and or balance. I recently had to deal with an Omaha charging toward my Fuso and it was a pain in the rear end. Figuring out the ranging for a ship moving straight at you is hard. Especially if they're skinny besides.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Velius posted:

It had four forward? That's way better. I can see that being a tier 8ish ship, but tricky to use and or balance. I recently had to deal with an Omaha charging toward my Fuso and it was a pain in the rear end. Figuring out the ranging for a ship moving straight at you is hard. Especially if they're skinny besides.

He could only fire his 2 forward guns at you, the other 2 you'd need to broadside to fire I would assume. Japan seemed to love this turret configuration with multiple guns behind each other but only the second one elevated to fire over the first.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Velius posted:

It looks like only two turrets can fire straight ahead, although I guess it'll have good firing angles forward anyway.
I do wonder how they'll balance the French ships that can fire every gun forward. Unless France just gets really lovely accuracy I can't see how Richelieu could be the same tier as Bismarck without just making GBS threads all over it. :france:

wdarkk posted:

The weird thing (because it totally doesn't feel like it) is that for a given nation and ship class, accuracy is just a function of range. A Montana at 10 km is just as accurate as a South Carolina at 10 km. The only factors that confuse it are muzzle velocity and turret positions. I think triple turrets end up being a little more accurate than double turrets.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The chart I posted indicates the possibility of a "hybrid" Tone with limited air strike power.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

He could only fire his 2 forward guns at you, the other 2 you'd need to broadside to fire I would assume. Japan seemed to love this turret configuration with multiple guns behind each other but only the second one elevated to fire over the first.

Eh, it seems to be more that they loved adding as many guns as they possibly could to their cruisers. Generally all the cruisers that have that configuration only have that reverse turret for their fifth one, and I imagine putting that fifth turret high enough to superfire over the other two would dangerously overbalance ships that were already overbalanced. Tone specifically seems to be more that they just couldn't bear to not have at least four turrets, even with half the ship taken up with fleet support systems, and just stuck them where they could.

For comparison, the only US cruiser you see with triple turrets all able to fire over each other is Atlanta, which is only carrying 5" guns. All the others are carrying four or less, and thus the problem is irrelevant.

As for Izumo, I'm blaming Wargaming.

edit: I'm guessing there's some technical reason why they're not mounted so as to rotate through the forward arc, rather than the aft one, but I'm hardly an expert on ship design so that's pure speculation.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 8, 2015

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Yup gloves are now off. Any friendly who torpedoes me is going to get a whole lot of rounds into their citadel or some torpedoes coming back their way. I'm tired of this poo poo.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Lord Koth posted:

The Chikuma in game currently is a protected cruiser that was the lead ship of its class, launched in 1911. The Chikuma which was the second Tone-class was launched in 1938. Completely different ships, as most nations reuse names like that - See: USS Enterprise for the most well-known example of this.

ah. Well, looking at it they could throw historicity away and give it dive bombers or something to compensate the inadequate firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
What I like about the Tone class is that my tactic with it was charging straight forward towards the enemy, rather than trying to position for a broadside. But yeah, the float plane launcher definitely contributed to my love of it.