Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah daopa is super lazy/bad but when theres a dearth of streamers what are ya gonna do :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

ullerrm posted:

EN24 has some occasional bits of decent writing, but it's infrequent; their quality hasn't really gone up much. They still have the same crackheaded obsession with being the first to report on anything in Eve, truth be damned (they can always issue a correction later!).

TMC's quality has gone down a bit imo. Some of that is a genuine quality drop (at least from the Eve writing end of things), but a large part of it is also that TMC is diversifying into reporting on other games. They're simply not spending as much time on Eve as they used to.

I would say a decent amount of the quality drop is less to do with the writers and various churn but the fact all the editors left, Endie and Alikchi were both cornerstones of the quality in the previous iteration of tmc. Most of the articles that are not cool science stuff these days are repasts of the reddit thread with a small blurb at the bottom. All of this is a shame because for a good while tmc had a pretty good block of reporting and various event wrap ups and fc interviews.

The science articles are pretty cool though if sometimes questionably sourced.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Ptylerdactyl posted:

are you talking about mad ani? i know he was a guy that used to do that. but he setup a donation fund for himself to get a new computer to stream better quality. but he put the fund at like £3,000 got the money and just quit streaming entirely afaik.

daopa does do most of the large scale fights now, but imo the way he sets up his stream is awful. cant hardly see anything thats going on during the fights and then during downtime in fights he just switches pov to his character mining in high sec. who wants to watch that

Mad Ani's stream looked like a geocities revival, with uncredited music being played 23/7- the only time his stream was semi-bearable was when he wasn't home/sleeping/etc. Otherwise it was a non-stop cringe horrorshow of awkward skype calls, fanboys, and other random clop-crap.

He did take a bunch of money from people to get a new PC so he could 'provide a better quality' stream, played ARMA2 for about a week, and hosed off entirely with that Twitch mentality of 'if they're not going to pay me to stream, I'm just not going to do it anymore'. It was also about this time that his Rusky mail order bride left him, he got laid off, and a I think he got kicked out of NC. for some breach of OPSEC. AFAIK he hasn't streamed in a year or so, and stopped streaming things not EVE related because he tried to get his girlfriend a new computer with donation money and his meager fanbase trolled the poo poo out of him for it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Zasze posted:

I would say a decent amount of the quality drop is less to do with the writers and various churn but the fact all the editors left, Endie and Alikchi were both cornerstones of the quality in the previous iteration of tmc. Most of the articles that are not cool science stuff these days are repasts of the reddit thread with a small blurb at the bottom. All of this is a shame because for a good while tmc had a pretty good block of reporting and various event wrap ups with fc interviews.

The science articles are pretty cool though if sometimes questionably sourced.

Questionably sourced, they're written worse than poo poo you would see in grade school.

Ptylerdactyl
Aug 3, 2015

Hexel posted:

Yeah daopa is super lazy/bad but when theres a dearth of streamers what are ya gonna do :ohdear:

very true, going to the eve section on twitch is a bit disappointing at times in the day. only 40 total viewers seperated between about 7 channels and they're all mining, doing missions, russians doing either of these, or gatecams. so in a way i agree 'its something somewhat better' but its still just bad.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ptylerdactyl posted:

very true, going to the eve section on twitch is a bit disappointing at times in the day. only 40 total viewers seperated between about 7 channels and they're all mining, doing missions, russians doing either of these, or gatecams. so in a way i agree 'its something somewhat better' but its still just bad.

I do Monday & Friday fleets that are streamed because "gently caress it why not, if people come gank us then its content for them, my fleet, and the viewers in some capacity."

The biggest problem with streaming EVE on Twitch is, the stuff you as a player want to stream tends to piss off the rest of your fleet/alliance. Like when Mad Ani streamed himself sitting on an NC. titan waiting for a drop, he got in trouble for it and then bitched really hard about how it was bullshit that NC. wouldn't let him do that. Lowsec stuff you can stream pretty easily, same with NPSI fleets but its not the big battles people think of when they hear about EVE.

It'd be nice to see people doing a third party stream on the big fights but thanks to how the game works and all now it's pretty hard to find them thanks to a lack of timers giving you a clear "there's gonna be a fight at this time in this system."

Edit - Maybe if the Citadel's have timers that'd work out but again it's weird as poo poo because CCP put the work into making EVE have in-game Twitch streaming, then made it so finding fights to third party stream be incredibly difficult and/or night on impossible to get to in time.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 8, 2015

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I do Monday & Friday fleets that are streamed because "gently caress it why not, if people come gank us then its content for them, my fleet, and the viewers in some capacity."

I saw you and grath leaving jita with a ton of flycatchers this weekend, was that one of your fleets?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Ptylerdactyl posted:

It's kind of hard to livestream eve because of stream snipers and how boring this game is most of the time. The only time I successfully livestreamed was about a year ago when I was ransoming freighters in Niarja; Even though there were 100 people watching me and the names were easily visible, people kept paying the ransom in fear that there was a suicide ganking fleet waiting to kill them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Thats why combat reporting is the only viable eve stream :colbert:

EDIT: I take that back I enjoy watching Laz do newbie things like exploration n poo poo

Hexel fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 8, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gwrtheyrn posted:

I saw you and grath leaving jita with a ton of flycatchers this weekend, was that one of your fleets?

No, that was us doing a drunk OG Mumble op with whoever wanted to join in.

It's kind of hard to livestream eve because of stream snipers and how boring this game is most of the time. The only time I successfully livestreamed was about a year ago when I was ransoming freighters in Niarja; Even though there were 100 people watching me and the names were easily visible, people kept paying the ransom in fear that there was a suicide ganking fleet waiting to kill them.

I disagree entirely with the notion that you need to worry about stream sniping if you're FCng or part of a PVP fleet. The whole point is to go out and get a fight, and if you get past the "my route is super secret" mindset and let people know where you are and such you'll get the fight your PVP fleet is looking for in the first place. If you lose the fleet its whatever, its just internet spaceship pixels and monopoly money.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 8, 2015

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Unfunny Poster posted:

I disagree entirely with the notion that you need to worry about stream sniping if you're FCng or part of a PVP fleet. The whole point is to go out and get a fight, and if you get past the "my route is super secret" mindset and let people know where you are and such you'll get the fight your PVP fleet is looking for in the first place.

Yeah, but 90% of a fleet fight is looking or prepping for the fight in the first place, unless you're super lucky.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, but 90% of a fleet fight is looking or prepping for the fight in the first place, unless you're super lucky.

True, which is partially why I prefer not to stream fleets going into Null because compared to FW/Lowsec its super dead at the moment.

Last night was the first time I had a fleet where we got 0 kills, and it was because people refused to undock when we hit them up. (Read: BRAVE, Holy Arumban Empire, etc.) So instead we mostly spent the stream talking EVE and mechanics and the interesting facts about Poitot (which is the only named system in Syndicate).

edit - Also

Chessur posted:

There is a problem with n+1. All things considered equal, 10 pilots beats 8 every time. Throw in the logi addiction that most players have, and you get the typical cerbs + huge logi ball cancer fleet. The only reason brainstraw and myself can create those jaw dropping battle reports is because of the extreme ineptitude and idiocy of the greater eve population.

:cripes:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 8, 2015

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Chessur is a loving wanker

Sniping newbies from 80km in an oracle doesnt make you good at eve

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hexel posted:

Especially if you do it on the Horde undock with PL supers nearby

https://zkillboard.com/kill/45811092/

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Hexel posted:

Thats why combat reporting is the only viable eve stream :colbert:

EDIT: I take that back I enjoy watching Laz do newbie things like exploration n poo poo

The Newbee Tuesday streams are some of the best content TMC puts out. Most of the gooniversity/karmafleet newbees I talk to really love them for learning about the game.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Xolve posted:

Mad Ani's stream looked like a geocities revival, with uncredited music being played 23/7- the only time his stream was semi-bearable was when he wasn't home/sleeping/etc. Otherwise it was a non-stop cringe horrorshow of awkward skype calls, fanboys, and other random clop-crap.

He did take a bunch of money from people to get a new PC so he could 'provide a better quality' stream, played ARMA2 for about a week, and hosed off entirely with that Twitch mentality of 'if they're not going to pay me to stream, I'm just not going to do it anymore'. It was also about this time that his Rusky mail order bride left him, he got laid off, and a I think he got kicked out of NC. for some breach of OPSEC. AFAIK he hasn't streamed in a year or so, and stopped streaming things not EVE related because he tried to get his girlfriend a new computer with donation money and his meager fanbase trolled the poo poo out of him for it.

The real hilarious thing about Mad Ani, was that he spent so much time blocking anyone in his stream chat that said a bad word against him, that he seemed to genuinely not know he was widely disliked. He then makes this thread on Eve-O asking for a job from CCP and it became one of the better threads in the history of Eve-O.
Falcon banned me twice for making mockups of his stream overlay.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For posterity's sake https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=295038

My posts pointing out he was using copyrighted music got deleted. It included Mad Ani's gem of a response that "you can use copyrighted music because its on Spotify so I have permission to use it since its there."

This was of course before Twitch changed the music policy to mute VODs with Copyrighted Music being detected.

Edit - The best part was when he tried to get SirSqueebles banned from Twitch for talking negatively about him. Eventually when he tried to sell his main for a bunch of ISK, Squeebles & his followers put money together to buy it on one of Squeebles' alt accounts and now owns Mad Ani the character.

Edit 2 -

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 8, 2015

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
I almost won at EVE today, I hit the cancel button 2 hours before they were going to take payment out, but I bought a PLEX with the ISK. I have Logi 5 on 15 more days train, so maybe after that I can have some fun at EVE.

MorsAnima
Nov 29, 2010
I just feel completely shit on. These changes won't make a cat in hell's difference.
Run incursions, mute everyone, make top bank. Buy expensive poo poo, lose it. Repeat, and drown in the vicious cycle of Eve.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Whenever I think about resubbing this thread reminds me that our most significant rival is MoA.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CashEnsign posted:

Mad Ani, that was a silly time. Now Nick Fuzzeh, he deserved a job for his air horn coverage of B-R.

Nick's stream was hilarious because the titan kill count on it just kept getting more and more silly (And inaccurate) it was a lovely troll.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Unfunny Poster posted:

My posts pointing out he was using copyrighted music got deleted. It included Mad Ani's gem of a response that "you can use copyrighted music because its on Spotify so I have permission to use it since its there."

Holy poo poo, I ran a professional stream for a good while and we had to pay money to use music. If I knew all I had to do was open spotify on a browser I could get around all those pesky ~laws as the man likes to call them I'd have totally done that!

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nick's stream was hilarious because the titan kill count on it just kept getting more and more silly (And inaccurate) it was a lovely troll.

http://www.twitch.tv/nick_fuzzeh/c/3628894

I just pulled that clip up from the fight and the beginning where he's dancing the skeleton to Sandstorm has me laughing my rear end off

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

DiggityDoink posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/nick_fuzzeh/c/3628894

I just pulled that clip up from the fight and the beginning where he's dancing the skeleton to Sandstorm has me laughing my rear end off

That was a fun day :v: mostly because I didnt jump into the actual fight until after midnight my time so I could just chill and watch it without dealing with tidi

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

orange juche posted:

Questionably sourced, they're written worse than poo poo you would see in grade school.

This is what drove me away. How hard is it to find copy editors? It's not like there's a huge volume of articles that fly through the site.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Unfunny Poster posted:

You don't really know what you're talking about which isn't too surprising. The only person in PL doing anything at EN24 is Bobmon and no one likes him because of the poo poo he pulls. When he applied to HABIT he got called out for leaking alliance forums for an article and was mocked pretty heavily because of how poo poo EN24 is. Also Bobmon had like zero support from PL when he ran for CSM, you can see his CSM thread PL people were calling him out on his shiftiness pretty publicly. PL were focused on having Manny, Xander Phoena, and/or Bam Stroker as the alliances preferred candidates since they were all far more competent than Bobmon.

Okay. It sounds like we agree Bobmon is poo poo, and EN24 is poo poo.

HABIT. Special place in my heart.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhymenoserous posted:

CCP Airhorn is going to be real someday.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Holy poo poo, I ran a professional stream for a good while and we had to pay money to use music. If I knew all I had to do was open spotify on a browser I could get around all those pesky ~laws as the man likes to call them I'd have totally done that!

I work for one of the largest media conglomerates in the world, and get to deal with the logistics of making sure all the paperwork is signed so we can use X song for Y movie/project. I wish things were as easy as just popping open Spotify/YouTube, but then the artists would make gently caress all in terms of money.

Dr. Pangloss posted:

This is what drove me away. How hard is it to find copy editors? It's not like there's a huge volume of articles that fly through the site.

All the competent editors (Endie, Bagehi, Scaurus, Tegiminis, Oh Takashawa, Alikchi) all quit or were fired over silly things.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

Uziduke posted:

I almost won at EVE today, I hit the cancel button 2 hours before they were going to take payment out, but I bought a PLEX with the ISK. I have Logi 5 on 15 more days train, so maybe after that I can have some fun at EVE.

Having Logi V legitimately is cool because you're almost automatically an integral part of any gang you fly with. Assuming you have the skills to fly the current goon Logi flavor of the month, that is.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Also, being a goon with LogiV means always getting huge SRP payouts when you are invariably primaried first.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Unfunny Poster posted:

All the competent editors (Endie, Bagehi, Scaurus, Tegiminis, Oh Takashawa, Alikchi) all quit or were fired over silly things.

To be fair, there's only so much motivation one can provide if you're only paying in spacebucks.

I can't speak for any of the other past writers at TMC, but for my part: I spent a lot of time researching and writing articles, and trying to get things right the first time. Ali and Teg rarely had to change anything in my pieces before they hit publish. But it didn't take long for me to figure out that other writers were churning out barely-literate tripe, requiring a ton of editor effort to resemble English, and they were getting paid at a similar monthly rate just due to the sheer number of pieces they put out... and when a garbage piece DID occasionally slip out, I felt like my own writing was being devalued. Then, I looked at how many hours per week I was spending on research and writing, and realized that I could get five times the amount of isk by just spending those hours on something profitable IRL, and selling PLEXes.

So, I dropped all my articles-in-progress on the floor, and quietly exited.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Khablam posted:

The real hilarious thing about Mad Ani, was that he spent so much time blocking anyone in his stream chat that said a bad word against him, that he seemed to genuinely not know he was widely disliked. He then makes this thread on Eve-O asking for a job from CCP and it became one of the better threads in the history of Eve-O.
Falcon banned me twice for making mockups of his stream overlay.

He finally realized nobody likes him on one of his VOD's during the SirSqueebles debacle, and you can see it on his face (it was pretty hilarious how meek he got all of a sudden).

CCP Falcon is such a piece of poo poo.

Chessur posted:

There is a problem with n+1. All things considered equal, 10 pilots beats 8 every time. Throw in the logi addiction that most players have, and you get the typical cerbs + huge logi ball cancer fleet. The only reason brainstraw and myself can create those jaw dropping battle reports is because of the extreme ineptitude and idiocy of the greater eve population.

Except that 10 pilots don't always beat 8 pilots every time. TEST got dunked on the regular, and they usually had twice the number of people they fought against. Not all FCs are created equal, and there is actually such a thing as being a good fleet pilot.

Solo/Small gang PvP pilot tears are always the best- when they're criticizing you for only flying in fleets it's because you lack the skill to be a small gang/solo pilot and don't fully embrace the bushido code of real space viking warfare and obviously shun any form of difficulty. If you outnumber them by even one ship and kill them, it's because N+1 and you're still a no-skill having, need friends unperson and has nothing to do with flying against numbers is supposed to be more difficult and half the reason people watch those elite pvp videos to begin with.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 9, 2015

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

somnolence posted:

Having Logi V legitimately is cool because you're almost automatically an integral part of any gang you fly with. Assuming you have the skills to fly the current goon Logi flavor of the month, that is.

Unless you're in a Corp who uses caps. Then logi v without cap skills is pointless.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

nullEntityRNG posted:

Unless you're in a Corp who uses caps. Then logi v without cap skills is pointless.

Having Logi5 is always good, no matter what your corp uses- especially in a sick and twisted world that now features jump fatigue.

Unfunny Poster posted:

CCP Airhorn is going to be real someday.

Unless EVE dies, which seems pretty possible at this point.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 9, 2015

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Otacon posted:

Also, being a goon with LogiV means always getting huge SRP payouts when you are invariably primaried first.
I made about 200 millions in profit after losing two Scimitars one day.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Honestly if you want to get paid to lose ships just fly svipuls. Between the 25m net insurance and 100m srp you make retarded money and get to fly one of the sweetest ships in the game

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ullerrm posted:

To be fair, there's only so much motivation one can provide if you're only paying in spacebucks.

I can't speak for any of the other past writers at TMC, but for my part: I spent a lot of time researching and writing articles, and trying to get things right the first time. Ali and Teg rarely had to change anything in my pieces before they hit publish. But it didn't take long for me to figure out that other writers were churning out barely-literate tripe, requiring a ton of editor effort to resemble English, and they were getting paid at a similar monthly rate just due to the sheer number of pieces they put out... and when a garbage piece DID occasionally slip out, I felt like my own writing was being devalued. Then, I looked at how many hours per week I was spending on research and writing, and realized that I could get five times the amount of isk by just spending those hours on something profitable IRL, and selling PLEXes.

What I'm taking away from the whole TMC thing is that internet spaceship journalism is a lot of :effort:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Hexel posted:

I went on a fleet with Brainstraw and some of his friends and they are legitimately really drat good. There was a ton of poo poo on grid but they were so good at keeping dangerous poo poo away from the cruisers/bcs, I was really amazed. I tend to agree that their whining about being n+1/low skill/everything is a little ridiculous. Like they go to space full of carebears who may not be great at pvp and invite them to blob the gently caress outta them. Then they fly into a rage when the locals come with some counters to the kiting fleet. I really don't like people who get mad at video games.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Wolfy posted:

I went on a fleet with Brainstraw and some of his friends and they are legitimately really drat good. There was a ton of poo poo on grid but they were so good at keeping dangerous poo poo away from the cruisers/bcs, I was really amazed. I tend to agree that their whining about being n+1/low skill/everything is a little ridiculous. Like they go to space full of carebears who may not be great at pvp and invite them to blob the gently caress outta them. Then they fly into a rage when the locals come with some counters to the kiting fleet. I really don't like people who get mad at video games.

Those dudes are no doubt actually good at the most tryhard aspects of this game but their whining is ridiculous. I enjoy watching chessur and suitonias YouTube/twitch stuff but it's hilarious how salty they get as soon as someone engages them smartly (not clicking approach or getting mindlessly separated between gates).

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Voyager I posted:

Whenever I think about resubbing this thread reminds me that our most significant rival is MoA.

Hole Squad is fun and cool:frogbon:

somnolence posted:

never not train all cruisers 5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

I know I needed work with minor issues with how I was writing, especially the game reviews I did. For the most part my articles were pretty much what they looked like when I submitted the draft for editing. As far as the pay went, I was making real bux and not monopoly money which I think should have been the main focus of the site to work towards paying their writers in. I know there was the rule CCP put out about you can't write EVE articles for real money or something silly like that, but it was super easy to work around.

I sort of miss doing the articles, but then I remember how tiring it got after a while and am more content with my silly YouTube vids and streaming and collecting that sweet EVE-Bet sponsorship money to do so.

Xolve posted:

He finally realized nobody likes him on one of his VOD's during the SirSqueebles debacle, and you can see it on his face (it was pretty hilarious how meek he got all of a sudden).

Please tell me there's still a VOD of this.

• Locked thread