Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Joementum posted:

Thankfully there are people at the Kim Davis counter-demonstration willing to discuss the breaking of God's covenant.

Also, someone wore his best suit and fedora :3:

M'Davis :tipshat:

There are so many amazing people in this world :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

This is freaking me out because my last name is Davis.
Not loving related, but it gives me a little jolt each time I see it posted.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I will never understand people claiming they are being marginalized and discriminated against while literally carrying a sign saying that maybe a group of people should die of disease because they are sick sinful filth.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Seeing a field receptive to both ex-tech CEOs and rich crazy people, John McAfee is considering a presidential run. Through a stand-in, since the authorities of several countries may still be after him.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Stereotype posted:

I will never understand people claiming they are being marginalized and discriminated against while literally carrying a sign saying that maybe a group of people should die of disease because they are sick sinful filth.

White Christians in America have no loving clue what discrimination is. Never have, really.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Is there some way we can get a McAfee / Fiorina / Gingrich / Lessig technology debate?

Bonus points if it's hosted in McAfee's Belize compound and moderated by his wives.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

DeathSandwich posted:

I count 4 fedoras in this image.

A straw hat and a fedora are two different things.

E:

quote:

"Kim cannot and will not violate her conscience," said Mat Staver, founder of the Liberty Counsel, the Christian firm representing Davis. As for what happens next, he said only: "You'll find out in the near future."

Really? They're going with a cliffhanger?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

richardfun posted:

A straw hat and a fedora are two different things.

Okay, so I'm not the only one confused about where the 4 fedoras are.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

MacheteZombie posted:

The fedora is so vile and perfidious that it has begun assimilating other hat-types into its evil fold.

Edit: you're next, trucker hats

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Joementum posted:

Is there some way we can get a McAfee / Fiorina / Gingrich / Lessig technology debate?

Bonus points if it's hosted in McAfee's Belize compound and moderated by his wives.

Bonus points not available, that compound has "burned down under suspicious circumstances".

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

richardfun posted:

Here, I'll spoil it.

She'll either:

A - Do her loving job
B - Not do her job and return to jail for contempt of court
C - Quit her job

There's no other option available to her.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

stinkles1112 posted:

The fedora is so vile and perfidious that it has begun assimilating other hat-types into its evil fold.

Edit: you're next, trucker hats

as seen in this handy guide.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

richardfun posted:

These couples were discriminated against. You'll never believe what happened next!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

MacheteZombie posted:

Imagine they are on the edge of a cliff.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

haveblue posted:

Bonus points not available, that compound has "burned down under suspicious circumstances".

Sounds like we need to add a candidate to the debate who's really good at building....

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Riosan posted:

These couples were discriminated against. You'll never believe what happened next!

Verbal clickbait.

Ugh.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
People stopped wearing hats when cars became a big thing, they essentially took the place of hats. Hat-shaming is just a neo-luddite anti-public transportation conspiracy.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
Where the gently caress is "Eye of the Tiger" coming from at this rally? This is the most surreal poo poo. Huckabee just volunteered to go to jail on Davis' behalf, now Davis is coming out to that song.

e: oh this is being talked about in the RSF; I'll mosey over there

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 8, 2015

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Joementum posted:

Sounds like we need to add a candidate to the debate who's really good at building....

Maybe a good vice candidate here then. At least he's not one of those Washington insiders.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Gingrich would only be on board with this if McAfee's wives were only timekeepers and not moderators :colbert:

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Shageletic posted:

Alternative angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdE7XQF-6K0

Note the shame sitting stance

Who is the crazy lady in the red shirt?

Also, can anyone make out what she's yelling?

Huzanko fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2015

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Riosan posted:

These couples tried to get a a marriage license, watch the clerk give them what they deserved!

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Is there a handy link or rundown you can give on Leasig's shittyness? Most of the headlines of his policy page seem pretty good to me as a D&D liberal but of course I'm suspicious of any talk of "hacking" or "disrupting" democracy from tech douches.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Someone please dig up the MayDay PAC thread.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Ted Cruz continues to be the most vile person in the current group of potential Republican nominees.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

theshim posted:

Someone please dig up the MayDay PAC thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634476&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I started digging through this for the first time today. It's magical.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Okonner posted:

Is there a handy link or rundown you can give on Leasig's shittyness? Most of the headlines of his policy page seem pretty good to me as a D&D liberal but of course I'm suspicious of any talk of "hacking" or "disrupting" democracy from tech douches.

He had a real wackadoodle supporter here who kind of gave him a bad name. Otherwise he is a Cory Doctorow/Bruce Scheineder style tech futurist guy - actually well focused on tech possibilities and hazards (putting him vastly ahead of most TED Talks and Silly Valley guys), but glosses over a lot of reality like "people can't afford food and you can't eat iPads" that makes him quite a bit less useful as a politician.

In all fairness to him there is only so much you can know and any actual expert in the political realm is usually tightly focused on one topic like how he is, they just usually have policy people to shore up what they don't know and haven't covered, which he lacks.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Fried Chicken posted:

He had a real wackadoodle supporter here who kind of gave him a bad name. Otherwise he is a Cory Doctorow/Bruce Scheineder style tech futurist guy - actually well focused on tech possibilities and hazards (putting him vastly ahead of most TED Talks and Silly Valley guys), but glosses over a lot of reality like "people can't afford food and you can't eat iPads" that makes him quite a bit less useful as a politician.

In all fairness to him there is only so much you can know and any actual expert in the political realm is usually tightly focused on one topic like how he is, they just usually have policy people to shore up what they don't know and haven't covered, which he lacks.

He also is planning to resign as president once he disrupts the political finance system which is pretty fuckin lol.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

DemeaninDemon posted:

White Christians in America have no loving clue what discrimination is. Never have, really.

According to my family, they're "slaves" because they can't share their true feelings about black people.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

From the SSM thread:

We're fifteen months away from the presidential election. How much more deluded and wound-up are these people going to get between now and then?

We've already got two candidates directly encouraging crap like this, and the current GOP front runner is drawing full-blown white nationalist rhetoric out into the open. It seems like over the last couple months the right has blown a collective fuse and they've given up on trying to conceal their id.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

electric funeral posted:

According to my family, they're "slaves" because they can't share their true feelings about black people.
The hottest of takes.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Internet Webguy posted:

He also is planning to resign as president once he disrupts the political finance system which is pretty fuckin lol.

I still haven't seen him answer the really obvious question, "So, what exactly happens if Congress doesn't pass your dream bill?"

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Rhesus Pieces posted:

From the SSM thread:

We're fifteen months away from the presidential election. How much more deluded and wound-up are these people going to get between now and then?

We've already got two candidates directly encouraging crap like this, and the current GOP front runner is drawing full-blown white nationalist rhetoric out into the open. It seems like over the last couple months the right has blown a collective fuse and they've given up on trying to conceal their id.
Relax, it's Kentucky. They're irrelevant anyways.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Rhesus Pieces posted:

From the SSM thread:

All according to plan. First their fuses and next the arteries in their brain. :getin:

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

Joementum posted:

I still haven't seen him answer the really obvious question, "So, what exactly happens if Congress doesn't pass your dream bill?"

I thought I saw someone ask him that and his response was some wishy-washy "I'll get it done because I'll be riding into the office on a huge mandate, blah blah blah" thing.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

haha :stare:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are rich, get some medication.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Kro-Bar posted:

I thought I saw someone ask him that and his response was some wishy-washy "I'll get it done because I'll be riding into the office on a huge mandate, blah blah blah" thing.

His plan is literally "Convince everyone in the nation to agree with me and vote for my policies"

He's a political genius

e: like seriously why don't any of the other politicians try that

Bob Ojeda fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 8, 2015

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

For all the talk of Sanders being the Ron Paul of the Left, I really think Lessig deserves the title more: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...or_citizen.html

quote:

For Lessig, as for Sen. Elizabeth Warren, the “system is rigged.” In his 2011 book Republic, Lost, he argues that money has corrupted politics. The problem is not bribery in the old-fashioned sense. Nor does Lessig believe that the problem is simply that interest groups obtain favorable legislation by making campaign contributions, bribery with a wink, as one might call it. Lessig believes that politicians and lobbyists are decent, law-abiding, and (even) ethical people who are caught up in a system of mutual dependence where money influences political outcomes without leaving any tracks. Understaffed and thinly spread members of Congress rely on lobbyists to inform them and even write the legislation, depending on the lobbyists more for their expertise, goodwill, and even friendship than for campaign cash. Lobbyists provide much-needed aid but always with a slant, reflecting their particular view of the world, which is not that of most Americans. The result is that, without anyone quite meaning it, law reflects moneyed interests while ordinary Americans are shut out. This has led to political polarization and loss of faith in democracy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Stereotype posted:

This probably hasn't been posted in the last few pages

Umberto Eco posted:

8. The followers must feel humiliated by the ostentatious wealth and force of their enemies.

When I was a boy I was taught to think of Englishmen as the five-meal people. They ate more frequently than the poor but sober Italians. Jews are rich and help each other through a secret web of mutual assistance. However, the followers of Ur-Fascism must also be convinced that they can overwhelm the enemies. Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Rhesus Pieces posted:

From the SSM thread:

There is currently a Twitter hashtag #NROrevolt being run by white supremacists protesting the National Review being "anti-Trump"

Tim Miller of the Bush campaign tried pushing some Bush narrative stuff out onto it this weekend. So add Bush to the list of those explicitly pandering to the white supremacists now

It is really going to get insane.

• Locked thread