Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Zomborgon posted:

It brought me great joy when I finally learned how to dodge them, so now it seems a little too easy.

That said, if one manages to get in close on suicidal+, you're potentially hosed.

I find that other environmental effects are much more dangerous than a lack of doors. The catacombs map has a few good hold-out spots, but the steady decrease in light sources can be really bad for spotting zeds. Firebug flares are pretty great for help with that problem, but otherwise, it's time to move on to the next spot.

The problem is as much as I want to love the firebug flares, the other level 5 perk is so much better it's not even funny. At least at lower levels. Once the firebug gets a few levels under his belt to get 5/10/15/20/25% extra starting ammo with weapons then Flareatovs look a lot more competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Alkydere posted:

The problem is as much as I want to love the firebug flares, the other level 5 perk is so much better it's not even funny. At least at lower levels. Once the firebug gets a few levels under his belt to get 5/10/15/20/25% extra starting ammo with weapons then Flareatovs look a lot more competitive.

Honestly it seems really weird that firebugs get a general bonus to starting ammo, and then their first perk is "Hey have maximum starting ammo." It makes the general bonus worthless after level 5, but before level 5 the general bonus also doesn't do anything. And that 25% bonus never really gets too good either. It's an extra half a magazine of ammo for the Flamethrower or Microwaves, once, or an extra 5 shotgun shells for the trench gun, also once.

It'd be a lot more meaningful as an ammo cost reduction, so you could purchase flamethrower fuel on the (even more) cheap. That would also give the general bonus a lot of synergy with the "start at full ammo" perk, giving the firebug some serious money-saving ability. Not as much as the Zerker but enough to definitely help out their allies.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I wish there was a way to rebind keys for zerk only, without messing up the setup for the other perks. I like to switch it so that block is my right mouse and alt attack is mouse wheel click. It's made parrying feel more natural and easier to execute. Currently, I change my bindings manually if I play zerk and it's a little tedious.

Also loving the thrust attack of the zweihander when you do a quick bash attack because it turns it into a spear. Nothing like skewering a row of clot heads with one jab :black101:

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Zomborgon posted:

I find that other environmental effects are much more dangerous than a lack of doors. The catacombs map has a few good hold-out spots, but the steady decrease in light sources can be really bad for spotting zeds. Firebug flares are pretty great for help with that problem, but otherwise, it's time to move on to the next spot.

I do agree with this, lack of lights can really gently caress you over if you aren't someone who uses a weapon with a flashlight on it primarily, or have nigh vision. Can't tell you the number of times I have blindly fired at the groud as a Demo in catacombs desperately trying to kill some practically invisible crawlers that are gnawing my ankles off. It's genuinly cool that Tripwire has made such a mundane thing as lights being broken have such a powerful effect. Still wish doors came back, or at least regenerated their overall health each wave.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Are the Firebug and Demo in live now?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SaffronKit posted:

I do agree with this, lack of lights can really gently caress you over if you aren't someone who uses a weapon with a flashlight on it primarily, or have nigh vision. Can't tell you the number of times I have blindly fired at the groud as a Demo in catacombs desperately trying to kill some practically invisible crawlers that are gnawing my ankles off. It's genuinly cool that Tripwire has made such a mundane thing as lights being broken have such a powerful effect. Still wish doors came back, or at least regenerated their overall health each wave.

That's pretty much the reason I hate that drat map, poo poo gets way to dark and fighting on any slope or stairs cause the physics to go haywire, same poo poo that happened in KF1, like your model is somehow above the stairs and when a zed comes into contact with you, you suddenly go flying around awkwardly.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Inzombiac posted:

Are the Firebug and Demo in live now?

Yes. Despite what it may say on Steam the Beta actually ended and was rolled back into Live. So everything in the Beta is now Live.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Alkydere posted:

Yes. Despite what it may say on Steam the Beta actually ended and was rolled back into Live. So everything in the Beta is now Live.

Hnnnggg awesome. The only other thing I want is a kung-fu class.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Inzombiac posted:

Hnnnggg awesome. The only other thing I want is a kung-fu class.

I'm still hoping for a new sharpshooter; commando is close, but I am concerned by the lack of the (inevitably teched-up) lever-action rifle and loads of dual pistols.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What's the 'flare' the first tier of perks for the firebug referring to? Is it just the molotov?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

What's the 'flare' the first tier of perks for the firebug referring to? Is it just the molotov?

Yep. It makes the Molotov light up an area like a flare when it hits the ground.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I prefer the Zweihander to the Pulverizer, but I want to carry both. Does the Pulverizer or the Zweihander block better, or are they the same?

Blocking tips are appreciated by the way, I can't seem to time my parries properly.

When running zerk and especially while camping with a medic, i only carry a Zwei and pulv. Zwei is used for everything except fp's. Zwei hard attack will kill a siren or husk with 1 hit on hoe, and doesn't use ammo. Also the poke attack it has will kill every smaller zed in 1 hit and its great for poking heads. The poke attack can be used to stab 3 clots deep or so with huge range. The hard attack also staggers sc. If you're the last one left you can hard attack which will stagger them, run back a little, rinse repeat.

Pulv is the weapon to use for when the fp's come. The explosive damage is devastating to them. Sc and hans take reduced damage from explosive damage.

Also about the music, they nailed it for KF2. Electronic music or whatever doesn't fit as well as trashy kill everyone and yourself metal.

Alteisen posted:

That's pretty much the reason I hate that drat map, poo poo gets way to dark and fighting on any slope or stairs cause the physics to go haywire, same poo poo that happened in KF1, like your model is somehow above the stairs and when a zed comes into contact with you, you suddenly go flying around awkwardly.

Catacombs is a joke and an easy win if you camp the stairs near spawn, even on hoe. 2 zerks at bottom of stairs, door welded at the back of the cave, 1 medic healing, and a demo with the radiation nuke

Alkydere posted:

Use the ammo one, then after you get whatever weapons you're sticking with switch to flare.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 7, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Ramsus posted:

Use the ammo one, then after you get whatever weapons you're sticking with switch to flare.

exactly. You can swap and it takes effect immediately if you do it during a trader wave. I usually start with a full C&B, use my knife for round one, use C&B for round two, buy a trench gun (it is now full) for wave 2/3 depending on how well the first went, then get a micro at wave 4 with the help of some teammate donations (thank your local zerker today) and swap to Flareotov. Full ammo micro and flare cocktails for wave 4.

e: C&B fuel is cheap enough you can/should use that on wave 1 also, but if I'm really trying hard to guarantee a micro for 4 and there's no berserker, I might skip it.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 8, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Do the fire perks affect the micro? (Like fire stays around longer, fire spreads to nearby zeds etc)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nalesh posted:

Do the fire perks affect the micro? (Like fire stays around longer, fire spreads to nearby zeds etc)

As far as I know they do. People have posted gifs in this thread of the MWG causing the detonation skill to activate.

Also, am I the only one amused by the fact that the Caulk/Flamethrower can get headshots? They don't seem to do any additional damage but if you can pop the heads of trash.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Psion posted:

try playing on Suicidal.

They get a little more interesting.

Not in kf1, they were big dummies even on suicidal. Knowing how to dodge their shots and listening for them made them cake. I haven't worked my way up to suicidal on kf2 yet, glad to hear they have been upgraded a bit.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The biggest earmark of KF2 as its own unique game that has a reason to exist alongside the 900 other horde survival games out there is that as you increase the difficulty level, difficulty actually increases.

In most games, including KF1 to a large extent, 'harder' difficulties are health and damage hacks that don't really make the game harder so much as they simply reduce the number of variations of the One True Winning Strategy that works. In KF2, various enemies not only get more aggressive and more likely to bust out their good attacks, critical specimens get entirely new attacks. The game on Hard is totally different from the game on Suicidal and HoE, and that's a seriously good thing.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yup. I joined a Suicidal server with my lvl 20 Commando and, having never played anything above Hard, some other dude and I got absolutely stomped by Gorefasts.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Coolguye posted:

The biggest earmark of KF2 as its own unique game that has a reason to exist alongside the 900 other horde survival games out there is that as you increase the difficulty level, difficulty actually increases.

In most games, including KF1 to a large extent, 'harder' difficulties are health and damage hacks that don't really make the game harder so much as they simply reduce the number of variations of the One True Winning Strategy that works. In KF2, various enemies not only get more aggressive and more likely to bust out their good attacks, critical specimens get entirely new attacks. The game on Hard is totally different from the game on Suicidal and HoE, and that's a seriously good thing.

Not only that, but as you gain (and change) perks in classes, the game feels substantially different. This game feels really dynamic, and I mean that in a good way - it changes constantly as you play it. The enemy AI could use a little work (adapt to players guarding one entrance and attack through another, or send several big units at once from different directions?) but it's still Early Access, so I'm sure that'll improve as well.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Alkydere posted:

As far as I know they do. People have posted gifs in this thread of the MWG causing the detonation skill to activate.

Also, am I the only one amused by the fact that the Caulk/Flamethrower can get headshots? They don't seem to do any additional damage but if you can pop the heads of trash.

Yeah the detonation works, but not sure the other ones do since it doesn't set fire to anything, the stumble one might work too.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think the only differences in KF1 that I recall in regards to difficulty levels were hp, damage, and run speed.

One thing I'm not real big on in KF2 compared to KF1 is the FP and SC mechanics that make it nearly impossible to kite and win the wave if your whole team dies and you're not medic or zerk. There were a few tricks you could pull with different perks, and a raged sc or fp didn't mean you were going to die for sure. There was ways out of it, but they seemed fair because it was still very hard to pull off.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I wasn't a big fan of the KF1 tricks but I think it'd be neat if every class had a skill-based way to circumvent one of their downsides the way Demo can with smacking a dud rocket right into a Scrake's face.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Well for one I just tried solo and on wave 4 a fp spawned. I let it rage and then I welded a door. It broke through the door and continued to rage at me. In KF1 if you ran through a door and slapped a spot weld on and continued running it would break the door and stop raging. Stuff like that should come back because it's not easy to pull off if it's right on your tail, and throws more skills into the game rather than just run or shoot.

e. it was the last zed left so i dunno if there is a perma rage mechanic because it also did not stop raging. I'll try again with some zeds left.

e. I did 4 wave HOE. Got to wave 4 with 5 left. Both the sc and fp perma raged. It would have been impossible as anything but zerk or medic.

Ramsus fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 8, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

God drat it, didn't get a code from the pcgamer thing, I pretty much only play foster too :C

I'll make a custom ingame playlist for a code though.

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 8, 2015

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Any Scrakes and FPs that are left in the map when Zeds are almost extinct instantly rage forever, yes.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Yeah, I'm wondering what number of zeds that is and if a welded door will make a fp stop raging if it isn't perma raged and hits it like in KF1.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Ramsus posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering what number of zeds that is and if a welded door will make a fp stop raging if it isn't perma raged and hits it like in KF1.

Around 5. Probably less than. 3, perhaps? No idea about the welded door. If it's opaque or you break LOS, I bet it will just teleport behind you, though.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I kind of like the fact that at certain difficulties its impossible to solo clear a wave. It encourages teamwork and keeping your dumb idiot teammates alive.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Away all Goats posted:

I kind of like the fact that at certain difficulties its impossible to solo clear a wave. It encourages teamwork and keeping your dumb idiot teammates alive.

A zerk can, they removed the auto tracking from the scrakes and fleshpounds so you can literally walk backwards and they won't touch you, you even have enough time to reload if you're using the pulverizer.

I kited like 5 at the end of a suicidal wave the other day just poking them with the zwei till they died, you just gotta know how they attack and hit them while they're recovering from the attack.

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012
One thing that was really frustrating about KF1 which I had hoped would be fixed in KF2 (but hasn't) is that it's often impossible to find your teammates when you get separated from them. Left 4 Dead shows you the outline of your teammates through walls so you can find them, why not implement something like that in KF2? Just make the health bar that hovers over players' heads visible from across the map, or put little dots on the HUD or something. Sorry if this has been discussed already, it's just been bugging me a lot. There are all these great mechanics in the game that encourage cooperation and staying near each other, so why would tripwire add this extra obstacle to staying near your teammates?

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

bluetail posted:

One thing that was really frustrating about KF1 which I had hoped would be fixed in KF2 (but hasn't) is that it's often impossible to find your teammates when you get separated from them. Left 4 Dead shows you the outline of your teammates through walls so you can find them, why not implement something like that in KF2? Just make the health bar that hovers over players' heads visible from across the map, or put little dots on the HUD or something. Sorry if this has been discussed already, it's just been bugging me a lot. There are all these great mechanics in the game that encourage cooperation and staying near each other, so why would tripwire add this extra obstacle to staying near your teammates?

I agree, but I think they want it to be dangerous to go alone. Communication and staying together is extremely important in the game, so I guess they're punishing cowboy play by not making it super easy to find your team if you get separated.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010
That'd be a nice feature to have on, say, Normal difficulty but no higher.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Finding my teammates is half the fun of killing floor

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Yeah. That's one of those fine line things. Like, it'd be great if you got the outlines if you joined late or something and could find your team, but I like the horror movie factor of having to actually keep line of sight on your team. I feel like it adds to the claustrophobic feel of the games intention. If you get cut off, you better hope your team hasn't booked it to a different room. And it's the penalty you get for not communicating that you're getting overwhelmed and need help.

My biggest gripe is not being able to hold the grenade launcher and the rpg. Right now when I get the chance to run demo, I go medic smg and rpg as I normally go medic anyway and I just get too much enjoyment out of launching a rocket and just splattering groups of zeds.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
L4D actually solved the issue by having a "Realism" mode that removed all the glowy outlines and helpers (and other hud elements) for coordinated player groups who were into that. But i think they're a great idea for random pubgames, anything that herds cats coerces people into accidental teamplay and cuts out on that bit of "aw crap XX_Sepiroth420_XX got lost again" frustration is fine in my book.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 8, 2015

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
I would support outlines for those times when I move to a perfectly defensible room, weld the door to prep for the wave, find a nice spot to shoot from, look around, and see that my team mates decided to keep moving.

"They're coming! I'm gone."

But I agree with the consensus that finding your team mates is half the battle.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The fact that the KF1 Trader is not a playable character in this game is a crime.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Fina posted:

The fact that the KF1 Trader is not a playable character in this game is a crime.

A petition needs to be made.

Heck, I would buy that as DLC.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Typical Pubbie posted:

I would support outlines for those times when I move to a perfectly defensible room, weld the door to prep for the wave, find a nice spot to shoot from, look around, and see that my team mates decided to keep moving.

"They're coming! I'm gone."

But I agree with the consensus that finding your team mates is half the battle.

Part of the reason I like Catacombs is the times where you're trying to find your teammates after the trader and you're just running through tunnels and hallways and around bends not seeing anyone. You're either going to run into your teammates or a horde of zeds. There's a sense of thrill and excitement like an action movie. And then you run into a Scrake or FP and it turns into a horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
then you run away from the fleshpound to run into the scrake