Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

cptn_dr posted:

Did anyone read "The Star Wars"? The one based on the original script for Star Wars. If so, was it any good?

It's really wordy and nonsensical. I kinda gave up after the first issue, it's not actually as interesting as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's really wordy and nonsensical. I kinda gave up after the first issue, it's not actually as interesting as it sounds.

Could anyone sum up the general premise? I'd rather not waste my time if it isn't that great but I'm interested in hearing what it was actually about.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Vagon posted:

Could anyone sum up the general premise? I'd rather not waste my time if it isn't that great but I'm interested in hearing what it was actually about.

quote:

The plot of The Star Wars bears similarities to the final 1977 product, but also differs sharply in a number of areas.

The universe of The Star Wars features the Jedi-Bendu as having been the personal bodyguards of a generally benevolent Emperor for 100,000 years, before the rise of the villainous Knights of Sith. At its core, the story features a young Annikin Starkiller, son of former Jedi Bendu Kane Starkiller, leaving their homeworld Utapau in the Kessil system for Aquilae, a planet which is still independent of the New Galactic Empire. Whereas the finished Episode IV featured Obi-Wan Kenobi in the role of the wise elder, The Star Wars has an older Luke Skywalker in the role of teacher to young protagonist Annikin Starkiller.

Aquilae, home of Princess Leia, is targeted by the Empire for conquest due to its advanced cloning technologies. The Aquilaen King learns of the plot from one of his spies, Clieg Whitsun, who is an operative on the Imperial capital planet Alderaan. In defense of his world, the Aquilaen King attacks the Empire's Space Fortress, causing a pair of droids to crash down into the inhospitable Jundland Wastes region of the planet.

The King dies shortly thereafter, moving Princess Leia into the position of the Empire's target for a puppet ruler. Annikin Starkiller is now Padawan to Luke Skywalker, and the pair travel to protect the Princess. After rescuing her, the pair lead her through the Jundland Wastes to the spaceport town Gordon, where they meet Han Solo. In this story, Solo is a Urellian, a tall reptilian with a reputation for hunting Wookiees on their home planet of Yavin.

Solo, an old friend of Kane Starkiller, charters a freighter off-world, captained by an individual named Valorum. While escaping from Imperial patrols, Kane dies sacrificing himself to save the others, and Valorum is revealed as a Sith Knight.

After escaping from Valorum by stealing an Imperial ship, the protagonists are chased through an asteroid field and forced to land on the Wookiee homeworld. There they align with the Wookiees, who are in the midst of fighting Urellians, and meet a Wookiee named Chewbacca. The group gathers at the home of a pair of anthropologists, Owen and Beru Lars, while Leia is recaptured by Imperial forces and taken to the Space Fortress.

Rushing back to Aquilae to save Leia, Annikin dons stormtrooper armor to infiltrate the Space Fortress, but is captured in the process. A largely off-screen Darth Vader orders Valorum to kill Starkiller, but Valorum has a change of heart and sets Starkiller free. Starkiller rescues Leia and escapes just in time, as Luke Skywalker leads a squadron of fighters piloted by Wookiees to destroy the Space Fortress.

Returning to Aquilae, now-Queen Leia appoints Annikin Starkiller "Lord Protector of Aquilae."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, it basically reads like a Star Wars Prequel script.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like that in the middle of all those Lucas Names, there's the town of Gordon.

E: Your party emerges from the Forest of Akalla, blinking their eyes at T'vash, the daystar's strengthening light. Your firbin-wood armor seems to lighten as a spring enters your step, the oppressiveness of the Akallawood and the ominous river M'gofosh almost forgotten. Ahead, you see the wondrous towers and blinking spires of a mighty city, and you know it to be the keep of Gentle Lord Thraddion, the city known across the lands as Jeff.

Phy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 21, 2015

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Knowing what we do now about the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy and etc, it reads like a bizarre Star Wars mad-lib.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Phy posted:

Ahead, you see the wondrous towers and blinking spires of a mighty city, and you know it to be the keep of Gentle Lord Thraddion, the city known across the lands as Jeff.

Give it a weird spelling, Jehf, fits right in. :v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There was a comic strip that made a joke about the naming conventions.

The main characters are two stormtroopers called Kjazhed-Uhl and Bob.

radlum
May 13, 2013
The only good thing I see in that script is the fighter squadron with only wookies

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys reading Lando or what?

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
Just not a lot to say about it, the book has been all staging so far.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I'd say its pretty awesome myself. I'm enjoying the New Lobot, now with personality!

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd say its pretty awesome myself. I'm enjoying the New Lobot, now with personality!
Same, I'm hoping that the injury wasn't severe enough that his implants took over, or that they won't in the future. It doesn't help that he has no lines in ESB :ohdear: I'm surprised how much I like him already, given his previous non-character status.

I'm liking the series a lot, between Maleev's art and Soule capturing Lando's charm pretty well. While it's mainly just been the setup thus far, I'm looking forward to what follows after that last page (plus it's about Lando, so of course I'll eat it up).

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Anyone else notice the Emperor give the bounty hunter Darth Maul's ship from Episode I?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, neat to see Palpatine still had that thing laying around. He used it in the Maul comic too, didn't he?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
How was the maul comic? Last I saw Savajj had deflated like a sad balloon and Maul was about to be the emperors bucket

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Endless Mike posted:

Which is all kind of funny since The Force Awakens shows updated X-Wings and TIE Fighters, so an inability to let go of the original movies is as canon as canon gets.

I'm okay with the Xwings and Tie Fighters sticking around because they are really cool looking designs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just got my copy of the Star Wars Epic Collection: "Rise of the Sith, Vol. 1" through the post. Oh, man, so many great memories from these comics. There's some stuff that came later that's included that I've not read yet, but stuff like "Prelude To Rebellion", "Jedi Council: Acts of War", "Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: Last Stand On Ord Mantell", these were some of my favourite comics when I was a kid. I'm really looking forward to reading them again. :swoon:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just got my copy of the Star Wars Epic Collection: "Rise of the Sith, Vol. 1" through the post. Oh, man, so many great memories from these comics. There's some stuff that came later that's included that I've not read yet, but stuff like "Prelude To Rebellion", "Jedi Council: Acts of War", "Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan: Last Stand On Ord Mantell", these were some of my favourite comics when I was a kid. I'm really looking forward to reading them again. :swoon:

Are those just repackagings of the Dark Horse omnibuses? Because they put out a Rise of the Sith omnibus like 5 years ago that has the exact same stuff in it. All those comics have been collected for a while now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, I know, but these are full-size books. The DH omnibuses were only wee things and I'm given to understand they weren't great quality-wise.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Shattered Empire 1 released today and I enjoyed it. The art is good and I liked the main character. I'm really interested to see where things go from here.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Am I racing to horrifically wrong conclusions or is Vader sending Aphra to Naboo to dig up Padme's remains???

:stare:

In any event, loved the panel of him just chilling out sitting on his TIE Advanced chatting on the spacephone to someone.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Sentinel Red posted:

Am I racing to horrifically wrong conclusions or is Vader sending Aphra to Naboo to dig up Padme's remains???

In any event, loved the panel of him just chilling out sitting on his TIE Advanced chatting on the spacephone to someone.

I don't think that's exactly what he's sending her to do.

I think he wants her to confirm with the mortician that Padme wasn't pregnant when she died.

Space Homs is pretty cool. I hope Vader doesn't kill him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

OhFunny posted:

Shattered Empire 1 released today and I enjoyed it. The art is good and I liked the main character. I'm really interested to see where things go from here.

It's some nice build up to explaining what's happened between RotJ and TFA. Obviously the main character is Oscar Isaac's mom, and loved Han's reaction to the dish getting knocked off the Falcon.

He said not a scratch.:colbert:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Here's a rundown of what we know about the new post-ROTJ status quo in Star Wars. Interesting stuff.

http://io9.com/everything-we-know-about-star-wars-post-return-of-the-j-1729549100

It seems that:

-The war is over a lot faster in the new EU and the New Republic \ Empire peace treaty is signed only a couple years after Endor.
-The Battle of Jakku is the last major battle of the war.
-Chandrila is the seat of the New Republic government.
-The New Republic and Empire are in a state of semi-Cold War.
-The New Republic demilitarizes itself, which may be why the new movie follows a "Resistance" group.
-The First Order seems to be a radical Dark Side group wishing to return the Empire to its former glory.
-Luke starts a Jedi Academy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for that.

I always liked the idea of Palpatine being very interested in the outer fringes and beyond space of the SW galaxy.

I wish they'd give it a name one day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

redbackground posted:

I wish they'd give it a name one day.

Jar Jar's Object.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

OhFunny posted:

It's the first Marvel SW comic I've picked up (i'm probably going to get the trades of the other stuff) but I did find it kind of disturbing that the rebels were shooting down people trying to evacuate the death star.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Here's a rundown of what we know about the new post-ROTJ status quo in Star Wars. Interesting stuff.

http://io9.com/everything-we-know-about-star-wars-post-return-of-the-j-1729549100

It seems that:

-The war is over a lot faster in the new EU and the New Republic \ Empire peace treaty is signed only a couple years after Endor.
-The Battle of Jakku is the last major battle of the war.
-Chandrila is the seat of the New Republic government.
-The New Republic and Empire are in a state of semi-Cold War.
-The New Republic demilitarizes itself, which may be why the new movie follows a "Resistance" group.
-The First Order seems to be a radical Dark Side group wishing to return the Empire to its former glory.
-Luke starts a Jedi Academy.

It doesn't sound too bad. I doubt they'll have any classic EU characters in it, but there will no doubt be characters that analogs of them.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

twistedmentat posted:

I did find it kind of disturbing that the rebels were shooting down people trying to evacuate the death star.

They're valid targets. Military targets. As Tarkin would say.

Unless the enemy has surrendered or both sides agreed to a cease fire you don't stop shooting in the middle of a battle just because the enemy is running away.

Besides, for all they knew Palpatine, the ruling council, or Vader could be on any evacuating shuttle.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

twistedmentat posted:

It's the first Marvel SW comic I've picked up (i'm probably going to get the trades of the other stuff) but I did find it kind of disturbing that the rebels were shooting down people trying to evacuate the death star.

It doesn't sound too bad. I doubt they'll have any classic EU characters in it, but there will no doubt be characters that analogs of them.

Yeah, it seems to make sense albeit the war ends a little fast.

I had to tell my inner sperglord to shut up but deep down inside my head, my brain was screaming that Tycho Celchu wasn't flying through the Death Star in an A-Wing. I thought he was an extra in the actual movie but I might be mis-remembering.

I'm about 2 hours into the Aftermath audiobook. It's okay if a little disjointed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

He was sitting side saddle...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm about 2 hours into the Aftermath audiobook. It's okay if a little disjointed.

One thing I have heard about it is that the interlude chapters (which I believe might well have been mandated by the story group) don't exactly help with the flow of the main plot.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I enjoyed the last little cling to Bobba Fett the article tries to make apparently some scavengers find his half digested armor spit out by the sarlac, "but maybe he took it off! Bobba Fett lives!"

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

zoux posted:

He was sitting side saddle...

And? A brother's gotta go with what's comfortable, buddy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So dainty.

Shattered Empire was really cool, how many issues is it slated for?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hello Star Wars fans. I'd like to ask a question. I'm not a very big Star Wars fan, I've seen and enjoyed all the movies but that's about the extent of my relationship with the franchise. I tried to watch a couple of the cartoons and it never grabbed me. I do however see a new comic out today from Greg Rucka, who I love, and Marco Checchetto who I also love and believe is one of the most underrated and under appreciated artists in comics. First question of course, is it good? Second, is it easily accessible to someone very only a basic knowledge of the movies?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

Hello Star Wars fans. I'd like to ask a question. I'm not a very big Star Wars fan, I've seen and enjoyed all the movies but that's about the extent of my relationship with the franchise. I tried to watch a couple of the cartoons and it never grabbed me. I do however see a new comic out today from Greg Rucka, who I love, and Marco Checchetto who I also love and believe is one of the most underrated and under appreciated artists in comics. First question of course, is it good? Second, is it easily accessible to someone very only a basic knowledge of the movies?

It is extremely accessible and relies wholly on movie canon.

It occurs to me that one series is based on the Rebels cartoon but I haven't read it. All the other new Marvel SW books follow main characters in and around the (all most entirely) the original trilogy.

zoux fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 10, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I thought Shattered Empire was pretty flat. It didn't really get me interested in seeing what'll happening next.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The trade for Shattered Empire comes out in November. It also includes Princess Leia #1, and Star Wars #1 (70's version) to pad it out to standard trade length.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're valid targets. Military targets. As Tarkin would say.

Unless the enemy has surrendered or both sides agreed to a cease fire you don't stop shooting in the middle of a battle just because the enemy is running away.

Besides, for all they knew Palpatine, the ruling council, or Vader could be on any evacuating shuttle.

I know in the real world, if you were to blow up lifeboats of a sinking battleship, it would be considered a war crime, its on the level of purposefully shooting medics. Though I mean, yea, the Empire would not give such consideration.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, it seems to make sense albeit the war ends a little fast.

I had to tell my inner sperglord to shut up but deep down inside my head, my brain was screaming that Tycho Celchu wasn't flying through the Death Star in an A-Wing. I thought he was an extra in the actual movie but I might be mis-remembering.

Yea, it's going to be weird to see that Luke didn't marry Mara, and there was no Jacen or Jaina solo, no Thrawn or Pellereon, no Fells, no Corran Horn or Tallon Card. I mean, it also means no Fett-Sempai Mandalorian stuff. I actually prefer the Clone Wars take on them.