Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah I was hoping it already was when I read the article, but I don't see anything that suggests it will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

poo poo. I'd love another cold war option, but at $30 I'm going to need some more reviews first.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Yeah, I'm interested but uncertain. Though I see it supports 6mm, and I've been looking for a good mass-scale armour game.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

At 6mm, there's still CWC. I suppose it has lots of charts and math?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

CWC is fine but I find it a little over-abstract, the spotting rules are a little binary for my liking, and I've never quite gotten on with the orders system. Also I mildly resent how similar it is to Blitzkrieg Commander. It looks fine though (I've never actually played with my cold war dollies :eng99:)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Does anyone else feel there's just a little bit too much randomness in Saga? Like there's the rolling for the board and then that's filtered through all your normal dice rolls. Surely armor and defense could have been combined into a single stat?

I just had a game where my opponent had a bare board on my turn and I played a combo that undid his movement shenanigans and got my hearthguard plus my warlord into combat with his stranded warlord, I had a big pool of bonus dice and his fatigue to spend. In the end, he walked away without having to make an armor save and I lost a hearthguard for my trouble.

I know that that's just how the game goes sometimes and with a game called Saga it seems appropriate (that warlord will have epics written about him), but from a tactical perspective it's very frustrating.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Thundercloud posted:

I can't believe they're using 28mm in the pics, not 15mm.

Given the scale of modern games I think 15 or 10mm is about as high as you can go unless you are having squad level skirmish.
They're 20mm. The British infantry are from my favourite 20mm guy, Matt Hingley. He's a great dude who will put together custom orders for you if you ask nicely and his minis are just full of character.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Looks like 3GW has random amounts of activations like a few other systems. This really seems to be the command rule of the month of games I've read recently and it kind of bugs me, since you tend to have units that are totally immobile, neither acting nor reacting as the battle goes on around them. I think I have a distinct preference for either random activations and guaranteed reactions, or everyone gets an action and no/limited reactions.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I like the way Muskets & Tomahawks does it. Everyone gets an activation, but the order is random.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Colonial Air Force posted:

I like the way Muskets & Tomahawks does it. Everyone gets an activation, but the order is random.

Bolt Action does something semi-similar with dice-picking, though that's more "who activates next me or you".

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

spectralent posted:

Looks like 3GW has random amounts of activations like a few other systems. This really seems to be the command rule of the month of games I've read recently and it kind of bugs me, since you tend to have units that are totally immobile, neither acting nor reacting as the battle goes on around them. I think I have a distinct preference for either random activations and guaranteed reactions, or everyone gets an action and no/limited reactions.

Does it have rules for soviet missile launcher platforms?

Incidentally, does anyone know of any (preferably skirmish) system that allows me to use this:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Commissar Kip posted:

I assume yes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Commissar Kip posted:

Incidentally, does anyone know of any (preferably skirmish) system that allows me to use this:

Force on Force could be bodged to do so with ease. You'd basically have to decide what kind of AP/AT values it has, and then work out a scenario in which it is both on the board and firing at targets on it too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

spectralent posted:

Bolt Action does something semi-similar with dice-picking, though that's more "who activates next me or you".

Yeah same deal, but M&T uses cards instead of dice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah same deal, but M&T uses cards instead of dice.

CoC let's you roll dice for how you can activate teams or leaders, so that you can choose yourself which of your squads are hosed and can't move.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Commissar Kip posted:

Pretty sure Skirmish Sangin would have that off the board, but I'll check.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Fighting Season is a new ruleset for moderns from the people who made Chain of Command, there are some good battle reps out there

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

CoC let's you roll dice for how you can activate teams or leaders, so that you can choose yourself which of your squads are hosed and can't move.

I thought CoC had reactions, though? Also, I kind of give CoC a bit of a pass because the board being unplannable is basically it's entire thing given you can't even guarantee how long a turn will be.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

I thought CoC had reactions, though? Also, I kind of give CoC a bit of a pass because the board being unplannable is basically it's entire thing given you can't even guarantee how long a turn will be.

You can spend officer activations on putting teams or squads in overwatch, and then they can activate in your opponent's turn if any unit move in their LOS. You also gather coc-dice which can be spent on special things, such as ambushing or interrupting your opponent's turn, effectively getting some more control over your activations.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Are there any good platoon level Vietnam rulesets out there? I don't care for FoW so not interested in their expansion.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Force on Force has a book for it called Ambush Valley. It will work pretty spectacularly too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Can't go wrong with 2FL's Charlie Don't Surf either

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
TBH given how cheap Vietnam is as a setting you should probably get every ruleset you can find really.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

BeigeJacket posted:

Are there any good platoon level Vietnam rulesets out there? I don't care for FoW so not interested in their expansion.

I'm going to suggest Two Hour Wargame's FNG - Its designed more as a a solo game for the Free World Forces side, but can be played head to head. Its not for "balanced" sides, as the North Vietnam forces get random deployments, but it fun.

I'm running a kinda PBP version here. and I'm painting up my WWII Skirmish units, so I'm also going to try NUTS! as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We bunched up all our old Russian houses with some of our new terrain, and we're almost close to be able to field an urban table now:

My telephone poles also finally got their debut, and the fences are new as well. Now we just need to finish the dozen half-built houses we have lounging about.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 9, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

lilljonas posted:

We bunched up all our old Russian houses with some of our new terrain, and we're almost close to be able to field an urban table now:

How do you guys in clubs agree on what color to paint your terrain (or what base color to use, at least)? I suppose it's just me but I'd want a couple different styles of tables, which is probably why at home I have either no bases on my buildings or buildings done in various themes.

On the same theme, how do you handle it when multiple people want to play as one side/faction and there's maybe only one player that wants to play as the other side in a given conflict? I suppose with a big established club if someone wants to have an Italian WW2 force there will always be someone with US or British forces to play them (I have no idea if the Brits ever fought Italians in WW2)...but if everyone is playing and two players with only German forces walk in, what do they do, just wait around?

Maybe these are stupid questions but in my small group it can easily be a case of 'calling' or buying into one force before the next player to claim that side.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I know my club doesn't object to blue-on-blue, but I have noticed a large degree of this with WW2 games, given there's three big allies, and only Germany for the axis.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

There's also Italy, Finland, Hungary, Romania and Japan but for some reason no one wants to be them.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

krushgroove posted:

How do you guys in clubs agree on what color to paint your terrain (or what base color to use, at least)? I suppose it's just me but I'd want a couple different styles of tables, which is probably why at home I have either no bases on my buildings or buildings done in various themes.

On the same theme, how do you handle it when multiple people want to play as one side/faction and there's maybe only one player that wants to play as the other side in a given conflict? I suppose with a big established club if someone wants to have an Italian WW2 force there will always be someone with US or British forces to play them (I have no idea if the Brits ever fought Italians in WW2)...but if everyone is playing and two players with only German forces walk in, what do they do, just wait around?

Maybe these are stupid questions but in my small group it can easily be a case of 'calling' or buying into one force before the next player to claim that side.

It's not a stupid question at all, and I think it depends a lot on your group. My previous club worked very differently, and I think that it's party because it was more of a GW/warmahordes games club. So pretty much everyone had their own army/armies for the games that they enjoyed, and we only had collective terrain. We were also very few who had an interest in historical games, so a lot of the time I was stuck with using my minis as proxys for WHFB or whatever. We also never really played campaigns or so, just one-off games and tournaments.

In my current club, we try to approach each period or game as a project. Not everyone is interested in every such project, but that's not a problem. For example, everyone is at least somewhat involved in playing WW2, and will participate in our campaign. However, we built the campaign so that we share each side among several players, so it's not a problem if someone only plays a game or two during the entire campaign. In last campaign we only had Soviets and Germans, and I think we ended up with three players on each side. Then one player wanted to start an Italian army, so we chose to place our next campaign on a part of the front where it makes sense to have both German and Italian forces on the Axis side.

If someone decided that they really wanted to collect a British platoon, well, then we would certainly play one-off games with those armies. But for the Stalino campaign, that player would have to choose to play Axis or Soviet, or not participate. Because that "project" is about recreating the fighting around Stalino, but our one-off games is about rolling dice, meeting friends, and moving around WW2 miniatures. And everyone buys into the fact that those are two different things. For us, it's not at all a problem to do something completely off like Americans vs Soviets in a one-off game, or Soviet cavalry vs Soviet infantry, it's just a fun thing. But we try to be as historical as possible in the campaign, because that's what we decided that the project would be about.

Compare that with our Italian Wars project, where we decided that it would a great way to get to field our Fantasy Dogs of War and Empire armies, since WHFB is dead. So we agreed that we'll try to get together two historical armies to begin with, but also that we'll figure out ways to field everything from Orc pikemen in landsknecht uniforms to renaissance halflings. We also have a Tomb King player who wants to see if he can use his minis for this as well. And I have half of a finished late 16th century samurai army that is gathering dust, isn't that a waste?

So we played a few test games with a ton of proxies, and agreed that we'd try to stick with FoG. Now we're at that point where various club members are volunteering to paint up various parts of the historical armies (I'm doing 24 landsknecht pikemen to start with), and once we can pool enough of them, we can start to play around with it. We picked up the Blücher with the idea to make change them into a campaign ruleset for a warped semi-fantasy Italian Wars, where you might see imaginary countries, mercenary orcs, an invading Japanese fleet with Korean allies, and so on. Who knows how it will end? These things develop organically. So you can see that this is a very different thing than our WW2 campaigns, but the important thing is that you talk about what you want out of it before, and that everyone who joins in knows the general idea of the project.

Finally, our third project is to play 6mm Napoleonics, and that's pretty much just me and another guy this far. So we bought some minis, and will try out some games of Lasalle when (if?) we reach a lull in the whole WW2 juggernaught. That's fine as well.

As for your questions:

We build and/or paint a lot of the terrain together, which helps. But no, everything is not painted the same. I basecoat my stuff black a lot of the time, while the old stuff is just painted over raw balsa. One solution is that I mostly stick to building brick buildings, so it doesn't matter so much that my wood houses look different than their wood houses. But yeah, some of my stuff stick out a bit.

We store some of the armies at the club, and we build some armies together. At least 3 or 4 players have painted minis for our German force, and the same goes for the Soviets. We have at least a company of Soviets and Germans. There's always enough for people to grab a platoon or two. Some people store their tanks and stuff at home, but you rarely need more than the 3-4 vehicles for each side that we have at the club. The sole Italian player has his army at home, but that's not a problem given the collective club-based armies that we have access to.

if only one person wanted to play on the side of a campaign, and five people wanted to play on the other side, we'd probably see if someone would be ok with switching, or we would change the campaign design.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Sep 9, 2015

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

krushgroove posted:

(I have no idea if the Brits ever fought Italians in WW2)

The British & Commonwealth probably fought the Italians more than anybody else in the Mediterranean and North African theatres.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

The British & Commonwealth probably fought the Italians more than anybody else in the Mediterranean and North African theatres.

Yeah, one idea we had when a clubmate wanted to start up Italians was to make a separate Commonwealth vs Germans/Italians campaign set around the Siege of Tobruk. It had everything from night-time infiltration raids to tank battles, ambushes to air raids, and both desert and urban fighting. And the Commonwealth had a whole bunch of different units stuck in Tobruk - Scots, Australians, Indians, Polish, you could cram pretty much anything you want into a Tobruk game.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Liljonas can I move to Scandinavia and be adopted by you

Also, did you scratch build your houses?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Some shots from our BA game tonight

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

muggins posted:

Liljonas can I move to Scandinavia and be adopted by you

Also, did you scratch build your houses?

I'll see if I can convince the missus.

Yes, all our houses are scratch built, the only premade terrain on that board are a few old stone walls. The old terrain is 100% balsa, while I prefer to build with foamboard for walls. So the dozen or so residential houses that we're adding for the campaign to make it more urban will have a lot of foamboard, so a lot less exposed wood.

A big reason for going with scratch built houses is to be able to use ww2 pictures to recreate actual buildings and styles. Even less known areas, such as Donetsk in our case, can give you tons of photos and ideas for houses. There's still very little variety in 28mm eastern european buildings out there. Funnily enough, I was "recruited" to the club because I'm known to like to scratch-build houses. At my old club it was more your typical tournament-based generic hills and bunkers and such.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Sorry for the crap photos but a https://german has started putting pictures up of different dioramas...this one is a Roman legion(?) in 1:72...

This took 3 years to make, the group will be posting a different diorama each day to celebrate the opening of a museum they did a lot of stuff for.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

lilljonas posted:

I'll see if I can convince the missus.

Yes, all our houses are scratch built, the only premade terrain on that board are a few old stone walls. The old terrain is 100% balsa, while I prefer to build with foamboard for walls. So the dozen or so residential houses that we're adding for the campaign to make it more urban will have a lot of foamboard, so a lot less exposed wood.

A big reason for going with scratch built houses is to be able to use ww2 pictures to recreate actual buildings and styles. Even less known areas, such as Donetsk in our case, can give you tons of photos and ideas for houses. There's still very little variety in 28mm eastern european buildings out there. Funnily enough, I was "recruited" to the club because I'm known to like to scratch-build houses. At my old club it was more your typical tournament-based generic hills and bunkers and such.

Your club sounds really drat great. Most of the people who play tabletop games down here are interested in competitive metas and not really as invested in the spirit of the time period, which is really unfortunate.

I'll have to beat some historical passion into them with a mallet.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

Even less known areas, such as Donetsk

Not anymore :( Modern photos of various small villages in the area should be a decent reference though, they haven't changed much over the last 70 years.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ensign Expendable posted:

Not anymore :( Modern photos of various small villages in the area should be a decent reference though, they haven't changed much over the last 70 years.

That's true. Even though we've found hundreds of good photos from Stalino in the 1940's, it also helps to compare with modern photos. That's how I did with the water tower, and we are basing a lot of our maps on comparing ww2 photos and flight recon photos with modern day satellite photos from Google Earth, especially for small villages that can look almost the same on modern photos as on those old ww2 ones.

And holy moley, that Roman legion. Nice.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Crossposting from the modelbuilding thread:

Oh crap I kind of managed to screw up this 1/48 Hanomag with an old varnish that dried up in clumps on the vehicle. I threw some pigment on it since it's to be used in a wargame campaign starting this month, and then I called it done:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Got a great game of BP in tonight. I'll post some more pics and probably a battle report of some sort when I have the time this weekend, but for I'll just post this appetiser: the infantry lined up before deployment.