Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone reccomend some more stuff like Autopsy? I really dig that kinda slower death metal sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional
Check out Anatomia, Coffins, Mausoleum, Murder Squad, Swallowed and early Morbus Chron, early Fleshcrawl. Necrovorous, Repuked, Bonesaw, early Obliteration, Abscess, Living Decay, Bone Sickness, Herpes, Funereality.

Other slower stuff that isn't near Autopsy imitation but still excellent would be Incantation (definitely Diabolical Conquest), Asphyx (The Rack, Last One on Earth), and Crimson Relic.

Problem is, there's a lot that sounds like Autopsy, but just doesn't quite scratch the same itch.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone reccomend some more stuff like Autopsy? I really dig that kinda slower death metal sound.

The doomier Asphyx stuff may do it, but early Obituary is also in the vein. I wouldn't rule out some older Entombed or Dismember either.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Thanks, this is good. I really love this old school thrash/death style.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Just got back in from Hellbash last night and it was loving amazing. Satanic Warmaster was the highlight for me, also Archgoat, Shitfucker, Demonic Christ and Black Death was amazing. Though it was a little hot, the venue was pretty sweet too. Sound was excellent and the lights were some of the coolest I've ever seen at a non-arena show. Good amount of people there but it was not hard to get up close even when most everyone was inside.

The hotel next to the fest was loving amazing too. They did not give a loving gently caress about anything. I mean it was horrible, but perfect for the fest. I read reviews of the hotel before going and I'd just see poo poo like "Bed bugs" "blood on the sheets at check in" and "manager cussed me out".

So I got there Thursday morning before the fest and if I didn't know any better, I would have had thought it had been abandoned for the past 5 years. There was broken glass in the parking lot and a "fountain" filled with beer cans and cigarette butts. Mind you, this was before anyone showed up. Inside this 8/9 story hotel and suite, it featured a full on dive bar with cheap beer and liquor which we obviously made into a metal bar. I felt like the Fresh Prince who found his cab.

But that was just the beginning, so many awesome and terrible things happened there, such as:

Heard stories about "checked in with no sheets on the bed" "house keeping left me a half a sprite and a half full ashtray"

People were pissing out the windows onto the street/ people smoking in the lot.

You could just go up to the desk and tell them you lost your key and tell them your room number and they would just give you the key without checking ID.

Kid staying there turned 21 on Saturday night. He was excited about getting carded for beer but then they never carded him.

Cut off time at the bar is apparently never

You could hear your neighbors puking and/or loving through the walls.

Some one got shot on Saturday night?? I was there but I don't remember or I had already passed before it happened.

I almost got hit in the head by someone throwing their alarm clock out the 8th floor of the hotel window.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Being disgusting == metal apparently.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Sounds like a Vice documentary waiting to happen.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
New Maiden is pretty good. I liked their previous album overall, so take that however you wish. I think this one sounds pretty similar.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Sounds like a Midnight song personified into a building. Awesome.

So I listened to the new Slayer and I don't remember anything about it already if that tells you anything. Repentless lol.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I previewed some tracks and its some crappy bullshit. They need to gently caress off already, esp. since Hanneman died and he was the one who wrote all the good riffs anyways.

Someone put it good, "the new album sounds like what you write as a 12 year old and trying to make a "SLAYER RIFF"".

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

Being disgusting == metal apparently.

Yeah it makes MDF feel like a trip to Disneyland

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
New Slayer is basically the same as their last two albums. Nothing amazing, nothing great, but not awful. Just generic old person easy listening metal.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
After listening to them a lot for the last few months, I have to say I really, really don't think Dir en Grey get enough credit among metal listeners. Their last 3 albums in particular have some really amazing songs. Anyone else here listen to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auamCid03Xg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yke-gv8TyyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5aQVRWuWlE

I bought tickets to see them in November, I hope the vocals are as good live as they are in studio.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

New Ramming Speed loving rips.

https://rammingspeed-official.bandcamp.com/album/no-epitaphs

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Gamma Nerd posted:

After listening to them a lot for the last few months, I have to say I really, really don't think Dir en Grey get enough credit among metal listeners. Their last 3 albums in particular have some really amazing songs. Anyone else here listen to them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auamCid03Xg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yke-gv8TyyE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5aQVRWuWlE

I bought tickets to see them in November, I hope the vocals are as good live as they are in studio.

They're really bad alternative metal crap. What's the appeal of those vocals?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

A human heart posted:

dir en grey has had some really bad stuff throughout their career but these three songs are all good, i'm sorry about your bad opinions

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
In what will undoubtedly be the highlight of my journalistic career, I'm interviewing GWAR at Riot Fest on Saturday.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

I mean I could say the same about Manilla Road's vocalist, who you like IIRC? I mean if we're talking about annoying, nasal falsettoes... Kyo's highs are certainly odd, but his vocal range is really, really impressive.

DEG have much more interesting aesthetic/atmosphere than Faith No More or Deftones for sure (in addition to a very distinct sense of melody), so I don't think they fall into the alt-metal camp. Think what you want though, I won't convince someone like you.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I just had some metal elitist chew me out for liking Butcher Babies. Is it wrong to like a band that according to the elitist "only made it based on sex appeal" and "has no talent worth merit"? I really don't care if a band has arbitrary "talent", hence why I can listen to newer metalcore/post-hardcore bands (A7X, Of Mice and Men, Falling in Reverse, etc.)

symbolic fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 9, 2015

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Avenged Sevenfold were a decently talented band, they were just too busy dickriding Guns 'n Roses and Metallica to do anything good.

However, that's a loaded and silly question, implying that the only valid reason to dislike those bands is because of a lack of talent.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
For bands full of girls you can't go wrong with Mythic. It's just too bad that they were so short-lived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbQ1LgOP1ik

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Gamma Nerd posted:

Avenged Sevenfold were a decently talented band, they were just too busy dickriding Guns 'n Roses and Metallica to do anything good.
They have good stuff here and there (e.g. "Afterlife, "Critical Acclaim"). I think BVB has put out better stuff than them as of late but eh, it's all subjective.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Listen to whatever you enjoy listening to and dont worry what other people think?

I listen to Hall and Oates all the time but it doesnt mean I enjoy Cannibal Corpse any more or less.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Laserface posted:

Listen to whatever you enjoy listening to and dont worry what other people think?

I listen to Hall and Oates all the time but it doesnt mean I enjoy Cannibal Corpse any more or less.
It's just kind of funny to see how seriously people take their music. Their way or the highway.

I listen to everything from Obituary to The Adicts to Smashing Pumpkins to loving Culture Beat. It's all good to me, man.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
i, too, enjoy various subgenres of rock music

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

Gamma Nerd posted:

This is, in and of itself, a good goal though? Particularly since they've mostly dropped the harsh vocals that they were never good at.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Gamma Nerd posted:

i, too, enjoy various subgenres of rock music
i'm the person who shows up at every office party with free food and samples every dessert, even though they're all off the shelf at the supermarket and at the end of the day they all taste the same

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

This is, in and of itself, a good goal though? Particularly since they've mostly dropped the harsh vocals that they were never good at.

If you like the hard rock that G'n'R and Metallica have done, it is, but I really really don't and I can't abide their hokey horror theme. If I'm going to listen to early '00s metalcore with a wanky guitarist it better be Protest the Hero or The Human Abstract :colbert:

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Synyster Gates

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

A human heart posted:

What's the appeal of those vocals?

I ask myself this question about "harsh" vocals every day. The answer is always the same - people like what they like, c'est la vie. It means 90% of this thread is totally inaccessible to me but when the other 10% crops up I'll talk about it.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

HJB posted:

I ask myself this question about "harsh" vocals every day. The answer is always the same - people like what they like, c'est la vie. It means 90% of this thread is totally inaccessible to me but when the other 10% crops up I'll talk about it.
Exactly how I feel.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The key to understanding harsh vocals is to not be a wimpy bitch imo

But in all seriousness if you can't understand the appeal (as opposed to just disliking them) then I'm not sure why you're listening to metal in the first place. If you're one of those people that likes the instrumentation of death metal but can't get past the vocals then you're really strange honestly.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you're one of those people that likes the instrumentation of death metal but can't get past the vocals then you're really strange honestly.
Not too strange. It just means brutal death metal turns me off. If a band has good enough instrumentation I can just filter out the vocals, such as with At the Gates and Bolt Thrower.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

HJB posted:

I'm the same. I skim over most of the thread but still check it out because it's the closest active music thread to what I normally listen to. And the Ghost bickering, that's always entertaining.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

Not too strange. It just means brutal death metal turns me off. If a band has good enough instrumentation I can just filter out the vocals, such as with At the Gates and Bolt Thrower.

I guess with the more melodic bands like that it makes sense (although Bolt Thrower would be really weird with singing). But people who hear a bunch of atonal, chaotic riffs and then get annoyed when the vocalist isn't singing strike me as people who don't actually like the music they claim to otherwise enjoy. Nobody should want to hear Bruce Dickinson over Immolation's music.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

If you're one of those people that likes the instrumentation of death metal but can't get past the vocals then you're really strange honestly.

It's not a huge market, but you could argue bands like Nevermore and Satan's Host sort of cater(ed) to this mindset. I love me some growls and shrieks, but it's not that weird to me that there are people who love some elements of death metal but not others.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I'm a harsh vocal liker, but I don't like most harsh vocals. Some sound good, some sound stupid. It all depends. Also death metal with clean singing is weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

It's not a huge market, but you could argue bands like Nevermore and Satan's Host sort of cater(ed) to this mindset. I love me some growls and shrieks, but it's not that weird to me that there are people who love some elements of death metal but not others.

I don't know Satan's Host, but I don't hear death metal in Nevermore's music at all.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

But in all seriousness if you can't understand the appeal (as opposed to just disliking them) then I'm not sure why you're listening to metal in the first place. If you're one of those people that likes the instrumentation of death metal but can't get past the vocals then you're really strange honestly.

I was this way for a long time until some death vocals grew on me. It was pretty weird listening to old In Flames for the guitars and trying to ignore the singing. Or just barely enjoing My Apocalypse by Arch Enemy and avoiding the rest of their discography.

Come to think of it I should probably go back to doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I don't know Satan's Host, but I don't hear death metal in Nevermore's music at all.

Their later stuff gets pretty dark and dissonant, and could easily be death metal with different vocals. I don't think growls would be out of place over a lot of the songs off Enemies of Reality or This Godless Endeavor.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 9, 2015