Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't understand why they have a relatively expensive and high profile actor voice a lot of Venom's lines and then they just don't use them. Like I'd understand not using them for mission 51 or other things that were cut, but why cut lines for stuff that is in the game and would take no effort to point to the voice files? I also strongly suspect he was also supposed to say something during the drive with Skull Face instead of just staring awkwardly at him.

The cut content in this game is weird.

Scripting dialogue takes a backseat to making the game playable while your boss is in the process of getting shitcanned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The world doesn't know there are two BBs in MG1. Venom is secretly in charge of Outer Heaven while the real Big Boss is training Foxhound. The government hires the real Big Boss to send his team to infiltrate Outer Heaven because of rumors that they have gone nuclear, not knowing that the guy in charge of the place is BB's decoy. The plan is to feed Solid Snake bad intel so that he can't actually complete the mission, since he is Foxhound's greenest member. But they underestimate him and he actually ends up killing Venom.

It is possible that the real Big Boss *wanted* Venom dead by that point, as well. There are theories ranging from the real BB trying to use Solid to kill Venom, to Venom hijacking the radio at the end of MG1 to trick Solid once he realizes what is happening, to the BB that you've been talking to on the radio all along being an AI, etc. Basically, believe whatever sounds the coolest to you because there is basically zero chance of ever getting an explicit answer.

Alternatively: 80's video game plotlines weren't all that thought out

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Minorkos posted:

Definitely. I think people who are really indignant about the game not perfectly clarifying what happens in MG1 / 2 are expecting way too much, but there's enough to go on to give yourself a satisfactory answer, imo.

Even the best pieces of fiction in the entire world don't hold up to the kind of insane level of scrutiny people are applying to this gigantic, 30-year-spanning franchise.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Basically, believe whatever sounds the coolest to you because there is basically zero chance of ever getting an explicit answer.

Conventional wisdom would say as much, but we did just play an entire game explicitly explaining the differences between an MSX game and some playstation games. And Kojima went out of his way (twice?) to canon-explain why Dr. Clark/Paramedic was referred to as "he" by Naomi.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Scripting dialogue takes a backseat to making the game playable while your boss is in the process of getting shitcanned

That still doesn't make too much sense, since scripting dialogue isn't terribly hard and Konami paid for a very expensive actor to record those lines. If they're done and they aren't lines relating to stuff cut from the game, why not use them? You've already paid for them.

I just don't get Konami. At all. I'm hoping the rumors of others wanting to buy the Fox Engine and Metal Gear as an IP are true because Konami is just too goddamn stupid to own the rights to any video games.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Conventional wisdom would say as much, but we did just play an entire game explicitly explaining the differences between an MSX game and some playstation games. And Kojima went out of his way (twice?) to canon-explain why Dr. Clark/Paramedic was referred to as "he" by Naomi.

I mean more in the sense of "there will probably never be another Kojima-led MGS game and even if they start churning out soulless game-a-year sequels, nobody but Kojima is going to give a poo poo about answering minor questions from 30 year old MSX games."

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The MG wiki says Kojima was interviewed in one of the guides and says there's no real Skullface boss fight because it'd give the player a sense of something missing and/or loss like a phantom pain lmao

Could be bull but its good tasty kojima bull, which i eat like candy.

The entire game is a phantom pain for most MGS fans. It's missing a lot of things we came for. What we got was still worthy of the Metal Gear title, but how the gently caress did this cost any more than MGS3? I didn't enjoy MGS3 because it was a continuation of the story, I enjoyed it because it's probably one of the best games of all time.

Peacewalker introduced a lot of bullshit. Hot Coldman? Pacifica Ocean? What the gently caress were they on when they wrote this? Knowing Paz was actually dead was one of my favourite moments, not because it was touching, but because it felt like Kojima was loving with the fans of her. I'm so glad she got penetrated with C4. Chico got wrote out before TPP even started.

Don't even get me started with the whole mother base system. It's cool in concept, it sucks in execution. I can't deploy for a mission while on Mother Base without radioing in a loving helicopter and waiting until I'm suddenly in the ACC? What the gently caress is the point of a hub if you can't even do anything with it without it feeling like a chore?

Watch as the whole Kojima getting fired is just more meta PHANTOM PAIN bullshit that gets a "hahah we're so deep and witty" when they pump out the first DLC. Including removing his name from the box art, but allowing him to keep it EVERYWHERE ELSE. The rumors of him being fired or leaving haven't even actually been confirmed. It could still all be a ploy.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Minorkos posted:

I mean yeah, duh, but if you don't love watching the chaotic dance between kojimas balloning story, gameplay, and whatever poo poo he's on right now then you wouldn't be here.

I love all of it. I sat through MGS4 with a giant smile on my face the whole time, every callback and plot twist had me.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
In a month we'll get all the cut-content and Kojima will say something on Twitter about the phantom pain of losing a game in between talking about how eggs look like and jiggle like boobs.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Chippita posted:

The entire game is a phantom pain for most MGS fans. It's missing a lot of things we came for. What we got was still worthy of the Metal Gear title, but how the gently caress did this cost any more than MGS3? I didn't enjoy MGS3 because it was a continuation of the story, I enjoyed it because it's probably one of the best games of all time.

Peacewalker introduced a lot of bullshit. Hot Coldman? Pacifica Ocean? What the gently caress were they on when they wrote this? Knowing Paz was actually dead was one of my favourite moments, not because it was touching, but because it felt like Kojima was loving with the fans of her. I'm so glad she got penetrated with C4. Chico got wrote out before TPP even started.

Don't even get me started with the whole mother base system. It's cool in concept, it sucks in execution. I can't deploy for a mission while on Mother Base without radioing in a loving helicopter and waiting until I'm suddenly in the ACC? What the gently caress is the point of a hub if you can't even do anything with it without it feeling like a chore?

Watch as the whole Kojima getting fired is just more meta PHANTOM PAIN bullshit that gets a "hahah we're so deep and witty" when they pump out the first DLC. Including removing his name from the box art, but allowing him to keep it EVERYWHERE ELSE. The rumors of him being fired or leaving haven't even actually been confirmed. It could still all be a ploy.

The concept you're looking for is Mimetic Fallacy, though I really don't think Kojima getting fired is a fakeout

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Chippita posted:

I'm so glad she got penetrated with C4.

:yikes:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Phantom Paz is so goddamn bubbly and adorable.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
"this might be the best metal gear, but it's not the MOST metal gear" sums it all up for me.

I got way more story than i deserved/expected with 4 and i got more game than i deserved/expected with 5. Altogether, still in love. The main story thing i was interested in was the transition to MG1, which I got, and was crazy stupid enough to live up to the other crazy stupid retcons.

And gameplay-wise I've been waiting soooooooo long for someone to take another step forward in the free roam base invasion genre, if this was hello kitty army branded i would have ate it up. The fact that it's an entry in my favorite game series is just icing on the cake, even if the stroy didnt bring the MGS4 heat.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen
Serious question (im just not gud at engrish), is it just my imagination or is kojima (in case he made that game) a somewhat disgusting women debasing weirdo. how he portraits women compared to men in his games and then also the children in ttp :psyduck:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The one thing i miss from PW is some kind of visual representation of your combat deployments. Even just icons battling it out like 8 bit Final Fantasy was enough to make it cool on psp.

Itd be cool if everytime they won or lost a big main one they came home and partied or came home in body bags with a funeral scene.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

DasKuend posted:

Serious question (im just not gud at engrish), is it just my imagination or is kojima (in case he made that game) a somewhat disgusting women debasing weirdo. how he portraits women compared to men in his games and then also the children in ttp :psyduck:

Kojima has a pure heart.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

DasKuend posted:

It's your imagination.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kojima might be a goofy fucker who loves men pooping peeing but he doesn't hate women

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The best was how smug he seemed and sure that when people found out why Quiet is in a bikini and ripped stockings the whole time, they would feel bad for questioning him.
When in reality, even i groaned and wanted to die.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

DasKuend posted:

Kojima games are practically the go-to example of consistently terrible portrayals of women.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Good thing there's only two women in this game, and one of them is a figment of Big Boss's imagination.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Olga wasn't handled too badly. Same with The Boss. But uh, that's all I can think of.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Kojima games are practically the go-to example of consistently terrible portrayals of women.

Yikes.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Olga wasn't handled too badly. Same with The Boss. But uh, that's all I can think of.

I think Amanda was okay, too?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Kojima's always been a little pervy and that's like whatever but I think there's some form of line being crossed when the camera zooms in on Quiet's tits in the middle of her being tortured.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Pirate Jet posted:

Kojima's always been a little pervy and that's like whatever but I think there's some form of line being crossed when the camera zooms in on Quiet's tits in the middle of her being tortured.

A scene with exploitative camera angles while Quiet is being exploited for information... Hmm...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

iGestalt posted:

I think Amanda was okay, too?

Oh. Yeah. But that's because Amanda is kind of just there. Handled better than Paz, Cecile or Strangelove anyway.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

A scene with exploitative camera angles while Quiet is being exploited for information... Hmm...

While I would like to believe there is some deeper meaning to it - I'm afraid I cannot. Kojima is just a bit of a creepy pervert.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Being purposefully exploitative still means that it's exploitative.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Is that bad, if the game is trying to make a point about exploitation and you are in the role of the exploiter?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Weird I would've thought the stock Quiet complaint would be her posing down like a cat in heat on the ACC or the scene you get when her loyalty is full.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

Is that bad, if the game is trying to make a point about exploitation and you are in the role of the exploiter?

When the only female character in the game that isn't dead is the one that's being exploited, then yes.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
People of both genders (usually) love tits and a nice rear end. Which is why we get the Big Boss butt shot. Best rear end. :syoon:

But yeah the game could have done with 100% less of Quiets "Character". Though it was pretty hot when she was going to throat gently caress that guy.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Quiet's full-bond scene might also have a narrative purpose, I will admit Kojima's point may be muddled because there are genuinely exploitative scenes that are in the game because Kojima loves rear end & titties, but you can't write every scene involving woman off as just for the sake of rear end & titties.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
My favorite part of the plot was when five African children and Eli fixed a metal gear by themselves and then flew with it to the sunset. The gear ever fluttered its hands a little.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Mr. Fortitude posted:

IIRC, Boss was going to have one breast hanging out with a sweetass snake tattoo instead of a scar.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

My favorite part of the plot was when five African children and Eli fixed a metal gear by themselves and then flew with it to the sunset. The gear ever fluttered its hands a little.

The 'flap' button is next to the 'roar like a dinosaur' button.

DasKuend
Jun 19, 2014

Supreme Rear Admiral of Star Citizen
I think the scene of Quite making goulash of some russian penises was quite in order on how she got treated by the plot and camera the whole game.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Terminally Bored posted:

Doesn't Kid Mantis make up for a lot of it with telekinesis? I thought thats why Huey was freaking out the first time, he thought they somehow got it walking without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

cargohills posted:

When the only female character in the game that isn't dead is the one that's being exploited, then yes.

Could Kojima be trying to say that Big Boss lives in a world that can only exist due to the exploitation of soldiers, and made the sole woman in the game exploited to show the point that Big Boss is surrounded by those who are exploited, making a deeer point about the Boss' will? I, personally, believe that he is.

• Locked thread