Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe

necrotic posted:

Use increasing priorities as you go down. Layer-1 is h at the highest priority, Layer-2 is h at 2, etc... zero cave ins. I do it a lot.

Alternatively, for some fun: simply dig out each level (leaving the floor), then channel the outer edges of each floor except for one tile connecting a path out. Put pillars in each level except the bottom, attach them all to a single lever. Now block off all the entries and pull the lever! This method does take longer than simply channeling out like above, but boy howdy is it fun!
You only need to cut off the top floor. When it falls it will smash out all the other floors. It was how I would dig my pit moats in 40d. Just make sure you don't have something you want to keep under it. Poor fort planning led to a 50%+ fort dwarf fatality rate when I did that once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

necrotic posted:

Use increasing priorities as you go down. Layer-1 is h at the highest priority, Layer-2 is h at 2, etc... zero cave ins. I do it a lot.

Ahh, that's true. I keep forgetting priorities are a thing now!

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

necrotic posted:

Alternatively, for some fun: simply dig out each level (leaving the floor), then channel the outer edges of each floor except for one tile connecting a path out. Put pillars in each level except the bottom, attach them all to a single lever. Now block off all the entries and pull the lever! This method does take longer than simply channeling out like above, but boy howdy is it fun!

I think you can save some work by only linking the lever to the top pillar, the one that's holding everything else in place.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

TheCIASentMe posted:

I think you can save some work by only linking the lever to the top pillar, the one that's holding everything else in place.

Ah right. Not that the pillars are the slow part of the method vOv.

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
can anyone get me an account token for dwarffortresswiki.org?

e: nice bannable 0content responses, my question stands. At least explain how I am dumb for asking for a registration token on a related wiki that posters here probably already have accounts on.
\
ee: hah no I see, gently caress me for using a non-desktop user agent. consider yourself unpsyducked. Let my pusillanimous failure stand as testament of use to pretty much no-one.

stephenfry fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 9, 2015

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

stephenfry posted:

can anyone get me an account token for dwarffortresswiki.org? I make accounts on websites instead of bookmarking. It's bookmarking for web 2.0. Also I would like to be a responsible and upstanding contributor.

:psyduck:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

stephenfry posted:

can anyone get me an account token for dwarffortresswiki.org? I make accounts on websites instead of bookmarking. It's bookmarking for web 2.0. Also I would like to be a responsible and upstanding contributor.

this is probably the dumbest thing i have read today

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Glory of Arioch posted:

this is probably the dumbest thing i have read today

You're not trying hard enough. hth

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

stephenfry posted:

e: nice bannable 0content responses, my question stands. At least explain how I am dumb for asking for a registration token on a related wiki that posters here probably already have accounts on.
\
ee: hah no I see, gently caress me for using a non-desktop user agent. consider yourself unpsyducked. Let my pusillanimous failure stand as testament of use to pretty much no-one.

:how:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

stephenfry posted:

\

Did the :parrot: gently caress your head that hard?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

even mobile browsers have bookmarks friendo

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

:qq:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

stephenfry posted:

\

:shibe:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

stephenfry posted:

e: nice bannable 0content responses

:peanut:

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

stephenfry posted:

\
:captainpop:
please don't edit the wiki it's got enough crazy as it is

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
I actually had no idea what that guy was asking for since I didn't know what an "account token" was, so I clicked 'Create account' on the dfwiki, and the account registration page includes not one but two links to the form that generates account tokens for you.

This simple process is apparently to prevent spambots from registering accounts, and appears to prevent insane retards from registering accounts as a side-benefit.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

necrotic posted:

Ah right. Not that the pillars are the slow part of the method vOv.

True, but then again you might be able to save some more time by doing the following: (Edit: Yep, it worked!)

Mine out the bottom level but dig stairs up (or if you're starting from the surface, dig stairs all the way down to the level you want to stop at.)

Then build a column at the bottom level. Attach to a lever etc etc.

From there, you can designate the entire area above you to be mined out and the edges of them should be channeled. Just don't remove the stairs from level to level.

Next, remove the stairs from the bottom level by either channeling it out from above or removing them if you have an escape route from the bottom.. When you pull the lever it should destroy everything above since the stairs count as constructions and should be destroyed with the drop.

Graphically it should look like this from the top down.
code:
Bottom level

GGGG
GUCG
GGGG

next level up

HHHH
HDUH
HHHH

each subsequent level up

HHHH
HGXH
HHHH

and then top level

HHHH
HGDH
HHHH
Where G = mined out ground
H = Channeled out area
C = Column
U = up stairs
D = down stairs
X = up/down stairs

Once you get the stairwell built and the column in place you can designate everything from the bottom level up all at once without risk of cavein.

If the stairs don't collapse properly to nothing then you can try building the stairs instead, that would work but just take longer.

Edit: My testing tonight showed that you can make massive holes just by mining out the area you want cleared with stairs, constructing a pillar at the bottom level linked to a lever, then channeling out around the outside of the hole you want to make and dropping the whole thing. The stairs are completely eliminated in the cave-in. It's also really really quick to do since the stairs allow the dwarves to just keep digging without bouncing around from level to level.

TheCIASentMe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 10, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

stephenfry posted:

\

I'm on my 7th redbull today and I'm still making more sense than you.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Baloogan posted:

I'm on my 7th redbull today and I'm still making more sense than you.

Save yourself some money and just buy pills man. (Although redbull is delicious)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:cocaine:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

please stop picking on my best friend stephenfry

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Anyone here fool around with the rubble modpack/utility?
I'm trying out the saurian race that's included and it seems to be basically like kobold camp but they get access to fancy glass and get reverse cave adaption.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DF in the news

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

quote:

Still working through performance stuff, mostly, though I've been ranging all over the place. Better summaries in the menus, more opportunities for people standing around to jump into performances and pick up slack if there's room for them and they are interested, fixed some broken milling code, fixed another world gen crash, and so on and so on. We had a dwarven dancer become so talented a century into one world gen that he invented his own complete dance form, and the bold inventor decided to pattern the motions of the dance on a troglodyte attack he suffered in his youth. This important knowledge was then passed down to several students and then out into the world via a performance troupe.

That's completely insane and awesome.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

That's completely insane and awesome.

So was the dance some kind of interpretive dance-beatdown or what?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I'm on to baby's first third fort now, and it's coming along nicely, food is stable with a couple of dwarves in the military and it's an awesome spot carved out of the walls of a canyon wherea smaller river meets the main one with a waterfall. The only probelm is I have yet to find any ore other than Galena, and it's really starting to hurt. The site has 5 layers of Mudstone for it's sedimentary layer, and I have dug through most of it in a 15x15 grid without finding anything but precious fire opal and morion. Under that there is gneiss then slate, gabbro, dolemite and at the depest level I have reached mica and marble. Unfortunately as I understand it from the wiki, all of your useful iron ores and most of the common copper ores are to be found in sedimentary layers, but I seem to have the wrong kind of sedimentary layers.

I'm thinking I could probably get away with only importing iron ore, but I would need atleast to be able to make bronze myself. As I understand it if I find granite down here I could probably get some tin, and even zinc, but I haven't found any copper yet so that would be pretty useless on their own. Advice? Is trading for all my metal needs likely to be viable, given that I am obviously not very exeprienced at DF? I did just have an imigrant arive who is an expert negotiator, maybe that will help.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You can outfit an army by just ordering boulders of raw ore and buying out anvil stocks for recycling, sure.

It's also a strange, rare site that doesn't have a huge dollop of copper-rich tetrahedrite sitting somewhere in its bounds. That stuff can occur anywhere.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

So I'm on to baby's first third fort now, and it's coming along nicely, food is stable with a couple of dwarves in the military and it's an awesome spot carved out of the walls of a canyon wherea smaller river meets the main one with a waterfall. The only probelm is I have yet to find any ore other than Galena, and it's really starting to hurt. The site has 5 layers of Mudstone for it's sedimentary layer, and I have dug through most of it in a 15x15 grid without finding anything but precious fire opal and morion. Under that there is gneiss then slate, gabbro, dolemite and at the depest level I have reached mica and marble. Unfortunately as I understand it from the wiki, all of your useful iron ores and most of the common copper ores are to be found in sedimentary layers, but I seem to have the wrong kind of sedimentary layers.

I'm thinking I could probably get away with only importing iron ore, but I would need atleast to be able to make bronze myself. As I understand it if I find granite down here I could probably get some tin, and even zinc, but I haven't found any copper yet so that would be pretty useless on their own. Advice? Is trading for all my metal needs likely to be viable, given that I am obviously not very exeprienced at DF? I did just have an imigrant arive who is an expert negotiator, maybe that will help.

My advice is to use DFHack and use it to reveal, prospect, and unreveal any site you start on and ask yourself if you want to play on a site with that particular collection of minerals. It's entirely likely that your site has no copper or iron. Or you could just import stuff or build a goblin grinder and melt down their gear.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

My advice is to use DFHack and use it to reveal, prospect, and unreveal any site you start on and ask yourself if you want to play on a site with that particular collection of minerals. It's entirely likely that your site has no copper or iron. Or you could just import stuff or build a goblin grinder and melt down their gear.

Even better, you can do it at the embark window before you even choose a site, to I think you need to do a "prospect all" in dfhack.

E: I'm a moron, didn't notice he already embarked :downs:

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 12, 2015

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Bronze can be a pain in the rear end though, tin ore is pretty rare. And god help you if you want to make bismuth bronze at all...

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I make a point to embark with as much flux stone and cassiterite as possible

:argh: mineral generation

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
If your civilization has access to the ore then at least you can import it. But if you make pocket-sized little worlds it is entirely possible to end up in a world without any of a type of mineral AT ALL.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
It's the default sized world and site.

How do I go about gearing up for trading then? Reading the wiki sugests I need a bookeeper to determine what I have available, and then a broker to decide how much it is worth and to handle the trading negotiations. What are some good things to make early to trade, I have acess to silver and lead and plenty of low grade gems, as well as marble, which I think I read is worth twice as much as other stone. Since I'm going to have to import everything, I would want my exports to be of the highest quality, how do I arrange it so that only one dwarf crafts stone, one makes metal crafts, ect?

Also is there any trade value in renewable stuff I can make like food or booze or wood crafts? (not to elves obviously).

How do I see who my neighbours are now that I have embarked?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Even better, you can do it at the embark window before you even choose a site, to I think you need to do a "prospect all" in dfhack.

E: I'm a moron, didn't notice he already embarked :downs:

I actually didn't know that, so thanks for the tip.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I don't think I've seen a single siege since the 2012 version. I know I have goblin neighbors on my embark screen, so why do I never have any of them come visit? Hell, I never even see snatchers anymore. Just a parade of Forgotten Beasts.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

StrangeAeon posted:

I don't think I've seen a single siege since the 2012 version. I know I have goblin neighbors on my embark screen, so why do I never have any of them come visit? Hell, I never even see snatchers anymore. Just a parade of Forgotten Beasts.

Apparently there's a bug in the current version where goblins can't find their way round mountains. It's meant to be fixed in the next version. I'd settle next to a tower if you want sieges for now.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Apparently there's a bug in the current version where goblins can't find their way round mountains. It's meant to be fixed in the next version. I'd settle next to a tower if you want sieges for now.

Sonuva...

And undead are still terrifyingly mega-tough thanks to the increase in stats and complete lack of vitals, right?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

By unaltered default, yeah.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pharnakes posted:

How do I go about gearing up for trading then? Reading the wiki sugests I need a bookeeper to determine what I have available, and then a broker to decide how much it is worth and to handle the trading negotiations. What are some good things to make early to trade, I have acess to silver and lead and plenty of low grade gems, as well as marble, which I think I read is worth twice as much as other stone. Since I'm going to have to import everything, I would want my exports to be of the highest quality, how do I arrange it so that only one dwarf crafts stone, one makes metal crafts, ect?

Also is there any trade value in renewable stuff I can make like food or booze or wood crafts? (not to elves obviously).

So, [n] opens up the nobles screen, where you can assign dwarfs to be bookkeeper, manager, broker, etc. You can spread the jobs or consolidate. The bookkeeper also has an extra button for settings. This controls how DF rounds the display numbers, you generally want to set it to the highest setting.

A bookkeeper needs an office. So build a table and chair. Select the chair with [q] and [r] make room. Then assign it to said Bookkeeper. Managers also need offices to do their jobs. Every other noble just wants one to feel important.

Now the bookkeeper will sit in his office and figure out just how much of everything you have in stock. the [z] info screen and its subsection Stocks screen will reflect this.

use [v], [p], [l] (view, preferences, labors) on a dwarf and assign him the architecture labor. Then build a trade depot, your new architect will haul the materials and design the building. Then a working will come along (Mason for stone materials, Metalcrafter for metal, etc) and build it. When the caravan comes [q] over the depot and you can designate goods to be moved and summon your broker to trade.

[v], [p], [l] also lets you tweak dwarves to do only the jobs you want them too. Including jobs they have no skill in.

Crafting stone baubles is an early way to get rid of excess stone and make some trade profit but not much. A good cook will make meals that will sell for exorbitant amounts but normally you need that food for your own supplies. Making cheep metal bolts and encrusting them with gems is generally the best yield as far as profit vs giving away useful stuff. (I think bone and wooden bolts can also be encrusted).

The civilizations screen will update with your neighbors as they visit you. Kindly or otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Pharnakes posted:

If you have a single tile of sand anywhere on the map, quality serrated glass discs are so valuable it's practically cheating. Valuable to you as well as in terms of dwarfbucks, 10 of those per weapon trap is no joke.