Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

I'm...actually Asian, you know...

You might just be a vampire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

You might just be a vampire.

Nah, she's just a teenager. Easy mistake, they both wilt in sunlight and don't drink... wine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A mirror is out since Asians don't have reflections.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

A mirror is out since Asians don't have reflections.

You're thinking about midgets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're thinking about midgets.

Now I'm confused, which one doesn't believe in science?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Old timey racism is weird as gently caress. Even though America was fighting both the Japanese and the Germans in WW II the Germans all look....well human, while the Japanese look like some weird subhuman group. I know that it was easier to play up stereotypes for a completely different ethnic group, but when every other comic has your character punching Hitler in the face you would think the artist draw the Nazis ranging from looking like regular people to literally supermen, and at the same time draw Japanese people looking like underground dwellers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Republicans?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Which midget?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Madkal posted:

Old timey racism is weird as gently caress. Even though America was fighting both the Japanese and the Germans in WW II the Germans all look....well human, while the Japanese look like some weird subhuman group. I know that it was easier to play up stereotypes for a completely different ethnic group, but when every other comic has your character punching Hitler in the face you would think the artist draw the Nazis ranging from looking like regular people to literally supermen, and at the same time draw Japanese people looking like underground dwellers.

They look that way because many Americans actually believed that Japanese people all were short, had poor eyesight, and buck teeth, along with, of all things, inner-ear problems.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Which midget?

I have it sorted out now. Midgets don't believe in science, Asians don't believe in magic.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Weren't comics used as a tool to educate soldiers about how to tell fine, upstanding Chinese men apart from their Japanese nemeses?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HitTheTargets posted:

Weren't comics used as a tool to educate soldiers about how to tell fine, upstanding Chinese men apart from their Japanese nemeses?

Racism as a cure for racism isn't something you see very often.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HitTheTargets posted:

You're thinking of illustrated pamphlets, but same difference really.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

You're thinking of illustrated pamphlets, but same difference really.

Tintin and the Blue Lotus is basically this, though it was published before the war, but after the start Japanese occupation. It bends over backwards to not be racist towards Chinese people, including mocking it's own Caucasian character's stereotyped ideas. But then all the Japanese characters look like their from the old Fleischer Supeman cartoons.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Effectronica posted:

They look that way because many Americans actually believed that Japanese people all were short, had poor eyesight, and buck teeth, along with, of all things, inner-ear problems.

yet in reality the difference was Japanese people have longer intestines

shelper
Nov 10, 2005

Something's still wrong with this code

Unmature posted:

Are there any stories where you spend a lot of time with J Jonah Jameson? I want to really get to know him outside the Bugle.

This question looks to have been forgotten, but ultimate Jameson is best Jameson. Can't think of any issue numbers though.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Tintin and the Blue Lotus is basically this, though it was published before the war, but after the start Japanese occupation. It bends over backwards to not be racist towards Chinese people, including mocking it's own Caucasian character's stereotyped ideas. But then all the Japanese characters look like their from the old Fleischer Supeman cartoons.

But wasn't that partially down to the fact that one of the creators of Tintin at that time was in a relationship with a Chinese man at the time?
I think I read about that a year or two ago.

Like it is good to move away from racist depictions of people and stereotyping, but it could be tinged by the fact that it's because you don't want to offend your lover.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Skwirl posted:

There's also the Shooting Star, published in 1942 during Nazi occupation, whose villain is an American Jewish capitalist.

He was originally named Blumenstein but in later editions he was renamed Bohlwinkel and moved to South America, though apparently Bohlwinkel is also a Jewish name so :v:

That book was my favorite when I was a kid, I loved the mushrooms and stuff, it's sad to learn it was pretty much nazi propaganda. They removed some of the really obvious antisemitism like two Jews wishing to bank on the end of the world.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Sep 9, 2015

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Question IRL posted:

But wasn't that partially down to the fact that one of the creators of Tintin at that time was in a relationship with a Chinese man at the time?
I think I read about that a year or two ago.

Like it is good to move away from racist depictions of people and stereotyping, but it could be tinged by the fact that it's because you don't want to offend your lover.
He was influenced by by a Chinese exchange student he had become friends with, but that was more along the lines of him actually bothering to do some research on his subject matter, something that wasn't true when Tintin visited the Soviet Union, Belgian Congo, or America.

Edit: looking through Herge's Wikipedia page, there's nothing to indicate he was gay or bisexual, it does mention that he cheated on how first wife with other women.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 10, 2015

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

He was influenced by by a Chinese exchange student he had become friends with, but that was more along the lines of him actually bothering to do some research on his subject matter, something that wasn't true when Tintin visited the Society Union, Belgian Congo, or America.

Edit: looking through Herge's Wikipedia page, there's nothing to indicate he was gay or bisexual, or does now that he cheated on how first wife with other women.

From a bit of research, it's something that has been regarded/ speculated by his fans since the 1970's. It's based on an interview he did where he aparently described a book as being a " a story about love...I mean friendship."

Of course it's possible it was also based on gossip or rumour mongering.

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/from-our-continental-correspondent-herge-was-gay-no-he-wasnt-who-cares/

Interestingly, another French comic creator has even written a graphic novel on this subject (which is how I think I found out about it.)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/19/herge-and-his-chinese-communist-gay-lover/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Skwirl posted:

He was influenced by by a Chinese exchange student he had become friends with, but that was more along the lines of him actually bothering to do some research on his subject matter, something that wasn't true when Tintin visited the Society Union, Belgian Congo, or America.

Edit: looking through Herge's Wikipedia page, there's nothing to indicate he was gay or bisexual, or does now that he cheated on how first wife with other women.

You mean the Soviet Union.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

From a bit of research, it's something that has been regarded/ speculated by his fans since the 1970's. It's based on an interview he did where he aparently described a book as being a " a story about love...I mean friendship."

Of course it's possible it was also based on gossip or rumour mongering.

http://www.forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2012/from-our-continental-correspondent-herge-was-gay-no-he-wasnt-who-cares/

Interestingly, another French comic creator has even written a graphic novel on this subject (which is how I think I found out about it.)

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/19/herge-and-his-chinese-communist-gay-lover/

What a world we live in. A guy says he loves pizza and people assume he's fat. A guy says he loves his friend and people assume he likes cock.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I sing this song because I love a man. I know that some of you don't understand.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

You mean the Soviet Union.

Perils of phone posting.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is Terror, Inc. up to? Is he still functionally immortal and taking freelance jobs based on his bag o' body parts?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I just finished The Long Halloween and loved the hell out of it, but about ten minutes after I put the book down I thought "wait - what ACTUALLY happens on NYE?" Did I miss something explaining it? The book keeps pointing out that Harvey's hair was wet but introducing a second killer doesn't seem to make any sense when the "victim" shows up later completely un-killed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

I just finished The Long Halloween and loved the hell out of it, but about ten minutes after I put the book down I thought "wait - what ACTUALLY happens on NYE?" Did I miss something explaining it? The book keeps pointing out that Harvey's hair was wet but introducing a second killer doesn't seem to make any sense when the "victim" shows up later completely un-killed.

She misunderstood who the real killer was. Harvey just had wet hair.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm pretty sure the writer has never been able to give a proper account of who killed who in that story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I'm pretty sure the writer has never been able to give a proper account of who killed who in that story.

Yeah, I like the book, but it's up their with "The Big Sleep" in terms of murdering people for narrative effect but not providing enough murderers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hey was there was a storyline in 90s Captain America when he fights a bunch of super-feminists and gets captured and put in a tube to be turned into Miss Captain America or did I just dream this whole thing up?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Hey was there was a storyline in 90s Captain America when he fights a bunch of super-feminists and gets captured and put in a tube to be turned into Miss Captain America or did I just dream this whole thing up?

Luckily he had some Hostess cup cakes in his pocket.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

SynthOrange posted:

It happened!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When people talk about how they liked Gruenwald's run on Captain America, that isn't the poo poo they're thinking of.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Thank God that story wasn't simultaneous with Capwolf.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

When people talk about how they liked Gruenwald's run on Captain America, that isn't the poo poo they're thinking of.

It's exactly what they were thinking.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

It's exactly what they were thinking.

It sounds like that storyline comes soon after "The Bloodstone Hunt", which was really good. I liked it when Cap had a girlfriend who could also do fighting adventures.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

It sounds like that storyline comes soon after "The Bloodstone Hunt", which was really good. I liked it when Cap had a girlfriend who could also do fighting adventures.

He's had that almost consistently since the 90's with some brief random breakups here and there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

He's had that almost consistently since the 90's with some brief random breakups here and there.

Peggy Carter is cool, but she's not as cool as a reforming supervillain. (Even though Diamondback wasn't really "super", she was in the vicinity.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

prefect posted:

Peggy Carter is cool, but she's not as cool as a reforming supervillain. (Even though Diamondback wasn't really "super", she was in the vicinity.)

Well Mark Waid brought Sharon arter back in like 1994 or so and she was a regular part of Cap's life for all of Waid's run and beyond. He was back with Diamondback for a stretch prior to Disassembled and from Brubaker to now he and Sharon have been together. Except now they are OLD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
And even when he didn't, there's usually been a lady in the book that can fill the role platonically. Black Widow was practically a co-star in the book during Brubaker's run.