Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

Delsaber posted:

TLC's "Waterfalls" warns us against chasing after the waterfall that is Tuvix, and encourages appreciation of the rivers/Tuvoks and lakes/Neelixes that we already have.

indeed

here is the aforementioned spice girls one

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FA5jsa1lR9c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Delsaber posted:

TLC's "Waterfalls" warns us against chasing after the waterfall that is Tuvix, and encourages appreciation of the rivers/Tuvoks and lakes/Neelixes that we already have.

"No Scrubs" was clearly about the flawed decision to let Neelix join the voyage.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

Cry Havoc posted:

fun fact spice girls had a song about the tuvix episode

:newlol:

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

counterfeitsaint posted:

Was it just a possibility? I thought it was a sure thing, and it basically boiled down to push A for Tuvix, push B for the other two.

i would posit that one scenario involves murder and the other involves declining to pursue a course of action that would create life. if youre drawing equivalence between the two, yeah, you kinda gotta grapple with the much larger problem of abortion/non-procreative sex/etc, or even "doing things with your life that are not calculated for pareto-optimal societal benefit" necessarily being Bad Moral Failings

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
tuvix is tearing this family apart

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Also, they could re-make Tuvix at any time, theoretically, if they figured out how to do it. Not that you'd want to because you'd be busy creating more house blends. Like Chakimtay. And Belaris. Or Kes and a rotting piece of fruit.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

shadow puppet of a posted:

Also, they could re-make Tuvix at any time, theoretically, if they figured out how to do it. Not that you'd want to because you'd be busy creating more house blends. Like Chakimtay. And Belaris. Or Kes and a rotting piece of fruit.

Maybe they should have agreed to have Tuvix on weekends only.

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

Kitchner posted:

He is right though. If Move Along Home had been shot in the 60s it would have been seen as a groundbreaking piece of TV and one of the best parts of the series.

Instead now we consider it garbage.

Eh, I was actually comparing one of the worst episodes of 90's Trek to the entirety of 60's Trek and noting that it is still considerably better by far.

The same goes for that Lizard sex episode of Voyager. Total garbage even by Voyager standards, but still immeasurably superior to even the best TOS episode.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

The Bible posted:

The same goes for that Lizard sex episode of Voyager. Total garbage even by Voyager standards, but still immeasurably superior to even the best TOS episode.

dont say things you cant take back

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i would posit that one scenario involves murder and the other involves declining to pursue a course of action that would create life. if youre drawing equivalence between the two, yeah, you kinda gotta grapple with the much larger problem of abortion/non-procreative sex/etc, or even "doing things with your life that are not calculated for pareto-optimal societal benefit" necessarily being Bad Moral Failings

Those lives already existed though.

What if Tuvix was never a thing. What if the transporter accident just made both characters poof out of existence. After a few days of research, you figure out what went wrong, and could beep boop technobabble them back. Do you have zero moral obligation to bring them back? I mean, it's not like they exist at the time you're making the decision, so who cares right?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
i actually liked kes, her character wasnt incredibly interesting but it was a whole lot better than seven "look at the titty. look. are our ratings going up yet" of nine

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

counterfeitsaint posted:

What if Tuvix was never a thing. What if the transporter accident just made both characters poof out of existence. After a few days of research, you figure out what went wrong, and could beep boop technobabble them back. Do you have zero moral obligation to bring them back? I mean, it's not like they exist at the time you're making the decision, so who cares right?

if you didnt have to murder someone to bring them back then clearly. but you do have to kill someone, is the thing, and i do not see a scenario outside of hardline utilitarianism that justifies it or excuses what is very explicitly cold-blooded murder

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

counterfeitsaint posted:

In that case, the decision is simply pragmatic. You can get them back at no moral cost at all, and you want them back.

It is a totally different situation that you are positing. It doesn't have the same stakes (ie. Trading one life for two.)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I can save multiple lives by taking someone alive today and harvesting their organs. Do I?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Janeway did nothing wrong.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

I can save multiple lives by taking someone alive today and harvesting their organs. Do I?

Only if they're about to be run over by a trolley.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The Vidians did nothing wrong.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Star Trek: Deep Space Philosophy in the 21st Century

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Chomp8645 posted:

"The needs of the audience outweighed the needs of the Tuvok and Neelix"

- Spock

:colbert:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Like Spock is one to talk he already came back to life once.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i actually liked kes, her character wasnt incredibly interesting but it was a whole lot better than seven "look at the titty. look. are our ratings going up yet" of nine

hey those titties got barack obama elected have some respect

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
T'Pol puts the antibiotic lotion on her skin or else she gets quarantined again!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
The Decon chamber was a horrible idea. I'm almost certain Phlox only came up with the idea so he could spy on the crew nearly naked because he's a pervert. Anyway it would be pretty embarrassing stripping down in front of your commanding officer and rubbing gel into your skin.

"Sub Commander could you please turn round while I rub gel into my genitals"

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I would have banged Flox's wife if I was Tucker though

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

First question: Do you like them very much?

The Bible posted:

Eh, I was actually comparing one of the worst episodes of 90's Trek to the entirety of 60's Trek and noting that it is still considerably better by far.

See I can get behind Move Along Home being a 60s episode. In fact, as a kid, it's one of the few episodes of DS9 I saw and I really remembered all Quark's parts, so while the episode is poo poo, I still consider most of what happens in the bar kind of redeeming (including Quark's strategy and character development). Honestly the whole thing is hard not to watch with kind of a doofy "What the gently caress is this?" half-smile rather than "This is loving painful!" disdain.

..... The lizard sex episode by contrast is one of the very, very few Voyager episodes I've seen and Goddamn it is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. That wouldn't have flown in the 60s. Or the 70s, or 80s. It's a 40 minute long combo of poo poo and not a single thing made any sense about it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 9, 2015

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The dinosaur episode airing the 60s, and seeing the reaction could be potentially hilarious.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I would bring an Ezri episode back to the 60's because I'd want hate for Ezri to become part of the inescapable cultural language that you could only get in the era of a 3-network television landscape.

Or, if I felt like helping society rather than grinding my Ezri axe some more, I'd bring back the plotline to that one with the EMH in that really biased museum.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I think Quark is my favorite character in DS9 so far

muuuuch more entertaining bar proprietor than Mystic Knowledge Whoopi Goldberg

I am looking forward to the rear end in a top hat Business Aliens getting fleshed out a little more

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The actor that played Quark played half of all Ferengi characters on TNG up to that point. It was a role he was really born for. His hopefully endless stream of residual cheques is well earned. He embodies an entire species. Unlike moneybags Worf who only became tolerable once Gowron came along to show how a Klingon should really be and made it clear how flawed and sad Worfs version of Klingonianism was.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about Quark is that during the occupation of Bajor, he sold food to the laborers for zero profit. Out of context that doesn't sound like a big deal, but he's basically going against everything he believes in to help people out.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
armin shimerman is perfect for quark for other reasons, too- namely that he's both jewish and on the board of directors for the screen actor's guild. so after TNG when he had more latitude with his character he went way out of his way to try to address the legitimately perceived anti-semitism, plus being genuinely sensitive to/cognizant of the labour n ethical aspects of playing a hypercapitalist business owner with a secret shameful soft spot (which culminates in 'bar associate', which is a hella good n underrated ferengi ep)

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

My favorite thing about Quark is that during the occupation of Bajor, he sold food to the laborers for zero profit. Out of context that doesn't sound like a big deal, but he's basically going against everything he believes in to help people out.

Yeah DS9 did a good job of subtle character points like that. To humans it seems cruel but to a ferengi that's basically unheard of levels of generosity.

Yet he gets judged by humans using human standards all the time, which is one of his criticism of the Federation, they expect everyone to act like them and looks down on those who don't.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

He sold it at just above cost. He many be a filthy humanitarian, but he's still a Ferengi.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

My favourite Quark moment is when he out-logics a Vulcan.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

A Vulcan stole my ethics homework... because they don't have any...

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

EvilTaytoMan posted:

My favourite Quark moment is when he out-logics a Vulcan.

Of all of the distressingly many romantic conquests of Quark, that one was my favorite I think. Any episode where Quark convinces an alien that being a money-grubbing rear end in a top hat is actually the best way to go through life in the universe is simply beautiful. He goes to meet God and tries to sell him on the concept of greed.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think they missed an opportunity to have the Ferengi drop their stance of neutrality in the war and try to destroy the Dominion economically. That would have been neat.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry

Fister Roboto posted:

I think they missed an opportunity to have the Ferengi drop their stance of neutrality in the war and try to destroy the Dominion economically. That would have been neat.

Since the dominion is mainly in a different Quadrant I think it would be better if it implies that the Cardassian government had senior officials with money stashed off world from bribes and stuff and it all gets frozen by the Ferengi banks that hold it.

Suddenly the items Cardassians bought on the black market were no longer available (apart from at extortionate prices, I mean they are still Ferengi).

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Fister Roboto posted:

It would have been fantastic to see the great material continuum be bent in a war effort and be brought to bear on an enemy. Every forgotten pre-precursor dilithium crystal washing fluid and tiny lynchpin replicator component suddenly scarce as a rational Bajoran. Factories half a quadrant away mothballed faster than a subspace signal can travel. Sluggo cola, weaponized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3

MikeJF posted:

Doctor Who.

I don't watch it but I'm fairly sure it doesn't have the large contingent of angry fans of the 'old' dr who pointing angrily at the established mound of canon anytime someone tried to do something 'new' with the story. They tried that with JJTrek and all people did was piss and moan about it 'not being real trek' or 'missing the spirit' and somesuch. BSG was an equally campy stupid show in the 70s and it didn't get that kind of pissing and moaning after the reboot.

• Locked thread