Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Actually it's all versions but PS4
Welp taking that thing back to the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
N-thing Phantom Pain

I'm sure it was somewhere in the marketing for the game and I just never saw it, but I just found out that once your combat unit is established you can swap Big Boss out for any old dude in your combat group.

Cue going out on missions as

Silent Mastodon: Former spetsnaz commander

Also, little thing, since your run of the mill diamond dogs don't have a bionic arm like the Boss, certain actions are slightly different. The one I noticed is that instead of sparking electricity from your hand to lure enemies, your generic dude just cracks his knuckles with the unholy popping of a thousand broken bones.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SevenSocks posted:

N-thing Phantom Pain

I'm sure it was somewhere in the marketing for the game and I just never saw it, but I just found out that once your combat unit is established you can swap Big Boss out for any old dude in your combat group.

Cue going out on missions as

Silent Mastodon: Former spetsnaz commander

Also, little thing, since your run of the mill diamond dogs don't have a bionic arm like the Boss, certain actions are slightly different. The one I noticed is that instead of sparking electricity from your hand to lure enemies, your generic dude just cracks his knuckles with the unholy popping of a thousand broken bones.

If you complete a mission you earn a medal that raises their stats, some of them also have special combat abilities that big boss does not.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Alteisen posted:

If you complete a mission you earn a medal that raises their stats, some of them also have special combat abilities that big boss does not.

Are there limited missions? If so my brain would shut down trying to decide who gets what from a pool of limited experience.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
You can keep replaying missions. It's an evil, evil system once it gets its claws into you.

I've leveled a guy called Grey Worm up a couple of times and he's earning medals with "off-screen" missions as a result of the stat boost.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Arx Monolith posted:

Are there limited missions? If so my brain would shut down trying to decide who gets what from a pool of limited experience.

Can play em as much as you want.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

poptart_fairy posted:

You can keep replaying missions. It's an evil, evil system once it gets its claws into you.

I've leveled a guy called Grey Worm up a couple of times and he's earning medals with "off-screen" missions as a result of the stat boost.

Well of course he is Khaleesi

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I can't afford Phantom Pain, so this thread is just the epitome of :smith: for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In TPP when you get "injured" such that you have to actually hold down the action button to heal, in the ACC afterwards you'll get stuff like Snake with an IV in.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Calaveron posted:

Your default bionic roboarm has this attack wherein if you're sprinting and hit the attack button, you'll do a running punch attack which instantly floors any type of soldier or animal.
Said punch is accompanied by the Six Million Dollar Man sound effect, you know the one.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Incidentally, one of the equippable Bionic Arms is a literal Rocket Punch. You aim, fire, and then guide it remotely into someone's face to stun them :allears:.

For anyone who doesn't have the game but needs to see these, I made a video where I do both in rapid succession

Also it's important to note that Kiefer occasionally screams "ROCKET PUUUUUNCH" (this is how the subtitles write it) when you fire that off

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

muscles like this? posted:

In TPP when you get "injured" such that you have to actually hold down the action button to heal, in the ACC afterwards you'll get stuff like Snake with an IV in.

I have not noticed that, are you sure it's not his bionic arm? I've noticed that is hooked up when he's airborne.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Beastie posted:

I have not noticed that, are you sure it's not his bionic arm? I've noticed that is hooked up when he's airborne.

It was definitely an IV, there was a bag hanging up and everything.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Solomonic posted:

For anyone who doesn't have the game but needs to see these, I made a video where I do both in rapid succession

Also it's important to note that Kiefer occasionally screams "ROCKET PUUUUUNCH" (this is how the subtitles write it) when you fire that off

I really appreciate how when you punch the second guy his helmet hangs in the air for a bit.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
So, I pinched a guard's jeep that was hanging around in an outpost (MGS:PP), and as I was driving off, he came on the radio complaining to CP that someone had taken his vehicle. CP told him that no vehicles were reported stolen, and someone else must have needed it more than him. It advised him to walk wherever it was he was going.

Edit:
Similarly, messing with guards' heads:

Technocrat has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Sep 8, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Beastie posted:

If he gets seriously injured once he'll have a drip, if he gets seriously injured twice he'll have a blood bag.

knows a black guy
Jun 18, 2005

Nobody laugh too hard, but is anyone playing MGSV on the PS3? How is it?

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I managed to steal Take On Me from a base today. Also I kicked a wolf in the face.

Also there's a mission where you have to rescue a guy from your old base. He's gone crazy and he hits you and runs away whenever you try to get close. I found the solution completely by accident, but I should have known. Wear a box and he's like "Big Boss, I knew you were alive!" and then you can extract him. I liked that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
A soldier was telling a buddy that he was being transferred to the nuclear program in Ukraine, and the buddy assured him that Soviet reactors are perfectly safe

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

McDragon posted:

Also there's a mission where you have to rescue a guy from your old base. He's gone crazy and he hits you and runs away whenever you try to get close. I found the solution completely by accident, but I should have known. Wear a box and he's like "Big Boss, I knew you were alive!" and then you can extract him. I liked that.
That's amazing and I wish I'd thought of it. Call me unimaginative but I just tagged him with a tranq dart.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

One of the guys can't be tranqed.

Or at least he can take 17 hits of it.

I got him by a Six Million Dollar punch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

One nice thing I've noticed (or at least I've noticed) is this:

Guards in the game recognize the Fulton Balloons you use to extract defeated enemies. They'll report on them, talk about them, ect.

The final Fulton Balloon upgrade transforms them into a wormhole that sucks up enemies. When using this enemies seem to just report on seeing 'something strange' or 'something to check out' as opposed to just using the default balloon dialogue.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007
Are the upgrade times really so bad as to need to buy in-game coins to speed them up?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Arx Monolith posted:

Are the upgrade times really so bad as to need to buy in-game coins to speed them up?

Not even close.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'd be more than happy to start an Arkham Knight circle-jerk.

"What are you doing?"
"Evening the odds."
*press LT to even the odds*

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

blarzgh posted:

I'd be more than happy to start an Arkham Knight circle-jerk.

"What are you doing?"
"Evening the odds."
*press LT to even the odds*

*Evens odds*
*Framerate immediately plunges to low single digits*

Why yes, I did buy it on PC. Why do you ask?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arx Monolith posted:

Nope. The absolute worst upgrade time I had was 2 hours and I literally just left the console running when I did chores.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

McDragon posted:

Once you have the speaker upgrade for your iDroid, you can also play "Love Deterrence" on it to calm them down from a distance. :eng101:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Arx Monolith posted:

I've just been running around and playing the game while things upgrade. So far right now my biggest problem is lack of Fuel so I can't upgrade Mother Base and I have something like 150 guys in the waiting room.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Aphrodite posted:

One of the guys can't be tranqed.

Or at least he can take 17 hits of it.

I got him by a Six Million Dollar punch.

Just need a better tranq gun. The regular ol' pistol requires a lot of shots to put down an old soldier, but snipe 'em with a tranq rifle and they're down for the count.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Len posted:

I've just been running around and playing the game while things upgrade. So far right now my biggest problem is lack of Fuel so I can't upgrade Mother Base and I have something like 150 guys in the waiting room.

Mind explaining this? What is fuel, how do you get it? Are they waiting because Base is not big enough?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Arx Monolith posted:

Mind explaining this? What is fuel, how do you get it? Are they waiting because Base is not big enough?

Fuel is one of the materials you need to upgrade struts and you get it either by waiting for it to process or borrowing it from some communist bastards. And yeah each part of the base has a cap and all my sections are full right now while I wait to be able to afford to upgrade stuff.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Is there a lot of farming necessary in the game? I don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the same handful of missions over and over because I'm broke as hell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Inco posted:

Is there a lot of farming necessary in the game? I don't want to spend a bunch of time playing the same handful of missions over and over because I'm broke as hell.

That's optional. I could go forward with the plot but I really want to get one of my companions higher in loyalty. So I'm just farting around. 26 hours in and I'm 21% done according to the menu.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inco posted:

Early on there's a bit of scrounging for resources but fairly early in the story they start giving you ways to automate a lot of processes. Once you unlock the combat team they can be assigned missions to collect resources and guys. You also have an automated processing platform that gets you materials for building/upgrading without having to collect stuff yourself.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Len posted:

That's optional. I could go forward with the plot but I really want to get one of my companions higher in loyalty. So I'm just farting around. 26 hours in and I'm 21% done according to the menu.

See, I like a game that lets you pause. Level some stuff up, fart around, get good at things you suck at, and then moves along the story when you're ready. I hate games with a limited pool of Make-Stuff-Better.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

D-Dog grew up. Now he's like Koromaru if he was a spy with an eyepatch and riot gear. Poor Soviets just don't know what the gently caress when Big Boss and D-Dog attack together.

Also before that I did a mission taking out armored vehicles while on horseback with a bazooka and The Final Countdown blaring.

Also there was a mission where I got into a fight with a sniper. I took her out with a pair of artillery strikes.

Oh, and I got a mission I haven't tried yet to capture a "legendary bear".

Basically MSGV is amazing and wonderful once you start getting Mother Base set up. Or "Dog Hotel" as the emblem says.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

McDragon posted:

D-Dog grew up. Now he's like Koromaru if he was a spy with an eyepatch and riot gear. Poor Soviets just don't know what the gently caress when Big Boss and D-Dog attack together.

Also before that I did a mission taking out armored vehicles while on horseback with a bazooka and The Final Countdown blaring.

Also there was a mission where I got into a fight with a sniper. I took her out with a pair of artillery strikes.

Oh, and I got a mission I haven't tried yet to capture a "legendary bear".

Basically MSGV is amazing and wonderful once you start getting Mother Base set up. Or "Dog Hotel" as the emblem says.

You can also take out the sniper non lethally by bonking her twice with supply drops.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Alteisen posted:

You can also take out the sniper non lethally by bonking her twice with supply drops.

"Artillery Strikes"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Alteisen posted:

I shot her with my tranq pistol and then punched her in the face twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alteisen posted:

Funnily enough the game recognizes this as a legitimate tactic because it's a Kojima game and you get a 5000 point bonus for "neutralized the sniper with non-firearm methods" when it's tallying up your rank. :allears: