Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Poe Dameron (31)
BB-8 (2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Predator (3)

"Dutch" Vander (23)
R5-K6 (2)

Total: 99

This is either a really good idea or a really bad one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsarentdangerous
Aug 11, 2008

Strobe posted:

Poe Dameron (31)
BB-8 (2)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Predator (3)

"Dutch" Vander (23)
R5-K6 (2)

Total: 99

This is either a really good idea or a really bad one.

I've never tried it but always liked the idea of R7-T1 on Dutch.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's a good idea. I don't know if I'd prefer that or the one point initiative bid. I'm leaning toward initiative bid, since with R5-K6 there's a good chance to get effectively three free target locks in one turn.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Do people have issues with using card printouts at tournaments if you a have a binder or similar full of the cards?

I have multiples of every upgrade but cannot stand sorting. I'd love to just square them away somewhere and then print out my squad info all on one page.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm new to the game. Bought the new starter set, read the OP.

Are there any more current resources explaining tactics or interesting builds? I feel like there's a lot I don't get right now.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Ville Valo posted:

Do people have issues with using card printouts at tournaments if you a have a binder or similar full of the cards?

I have multiples of every upgrade but cannot stand sorting. I'd love to just square them away somewhere and then print out my squad info all on one page.

For Tournaments, you need the actual cards out, for casual games, no one cares and you can use the print outs.

Chemmy posted:

I'm new to the game. Bought the new starter set, read the OP.

Are there any more current resources explaining tactics or interesting builds? I feel like there's a lot I don't get right now.

Honestly, the Fantasy Flight Forums are pretty good for this. There are separate sub-forums for squad build feed back and tactics that I find pretty useful sometimes. The rest of the forum can sometimes devolve into grunting between a bunch of entitled, very horrible nerds but the sub-forums are awright.

Or just ask stuff here because we are all a bunch of super keen guys.

enigmahfc fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 8, 2015

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Wow which one of you is on eBay selling 5 bashed together Uglies for $100 USD?

:psypop:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 8, 2015

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Those are hideous EXCEPT I kinda like the general idea of the one on the bottom left. The execution is terrible but the basic design is kinda cool.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
This is in the back?

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

Those are hideous EXCEPT I kinda like the general idea of the one on the bottom left. The execution is terrible but the basic design is kinda cool.

it looks like it can wear pants

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Really dunno what to fly for a summer tourney this Saturday. I might be lazy and go for my patented 3BY but I really not sure and I haven't had a chance to try out any of the new stuff/see what the new meta is like.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looks like. It's probably the only one of the 5 that I actually don't mind, but $20 a pop for those is stupid, even for eBay.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
There's only ever been one ugly that matters:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Isn't the DYE-wing the other way around? A TIE fighter cockpit with Y-wing engines technically works, how does that thing even move?!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ro5s posted:

Isn't the DYE-wing the other way around? A TIE fighter cockpit with Y-wing engines technically works, how does that thing even move?!

The DYE-wing (officially known as the TYE-wing) is a TIE cockpit with Y-wing engines. The Y-TIE is a Y-wing cockpit with TIE wings and engine rammed in there, and ends up being a good ship (like the Deathseed).

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Twin Laser Turrets feel positively broken. Against ships with 2 or less evade, they are near-guaranteed 2 damage per turn. Against ships with 3, they will still do 2 damage per turn most of the time. 4 Ys with TLTs will take down almost any large ship in two rounds of shooting - Even Soontir isn't safe, the sheer volume of attacks means that his Stealth Device pops eventually, and he only needs to roll badly 3 times to die.

That... actually looks pretty cool?

Hah, check out the R2 unit hardwired into the front. "Kill... me..."

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 9, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

Twin Laser Turrets feel positively broken. Against ships with 2 or less evade, they are near-guaranteed 2 damage per turn. Against ships with 3, they will still do 2 damage per turn most of the time. 4 Ys with TLTs will take down almost any large ship in two rounds of shooting - Even Soontir isn't safe, the sheer volume of attacks means that his Stealth Device pops eventually, and he only needs to roll badly 3 times to die.

If you have a good jousting list you can blow up a TLT spam list because Y wings are easy to kill. 4BZ can put the TLTs in the dirt in a hurry.

If you don't out joust them you need to use something to bump them to keep them from focus firing.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Panzeh posted:

If you have a good jousting list you can blow up a TLT spam list because Y wings are easy to kill. 4BZ can put the TLTs in the dirt in a hurry.

If you don't out joust them you need to use something to bump them to keep them from focus firing.

Even a good jousting list will have problems. The Y's are going to do two damage almost every turn, and can focus fire perfectly, while your jousters are going to spend turns where they can't shoot anything, or can't focus fire properly.

Ys aren't really easy to kill - 8 hitpoints is a chore to chew through.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Getting to range 1 forces them to split fire. TLTs have a donut. Sure, you'll take fire from a couple of them, but you won't take fire from all of them, and if you can get them to split up to broaden their spread and avoid getting hosed by range 1 on multiple ships you can focus them down one at a time while staying out of range of one or two of them.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Geisladisk posted:

Even a good jousting list will have problems. The Y's are going to do two damage almost every turn, and can focus fire perfectly, while your jousters are going to spend turns where they can't shoot anything, or can't focus fire properly.

Ys aren't really easy to kill - 8 hitpoints is a chore to chew through.

Also unmodified 3 dice attacks will sometimes miss, particularly the more green dice coming back but 4 Bs is a lot more likely to get a Y on the spproach than the other way around if you play it reasonably well.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Do you expect we'll see an official T-70 painted up in a black/orange scheme or is that just going to be the most popular mod in all of X Wing?

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

canyoneer posted:

Do you expect we'll see an official T-70 painted up in a black/orange scheme or is that just going to be the most popular mod in all of X Wing?

If we do it will be attached to an epic ship.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Or a "Red Squadron Aces" pack that has one T-65 and one T-70, and includes the fixes for T-65s and new pilots for both.

Um, excuse me a moment. :fap:

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Seems like the kind of thing they would put in a 'Resistance Aces' pack.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I've been a huge Star Wars spaceship nerd since forever, and I finally caved on Saturday and got myself two of the miniatures because the minis are really, really cool (I got the Rebel Aces pack, because I'm a huge sucker for the McQuarrie concept A-wing paint job). I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into the game itself, because the minis are kinda expensive in my opinion and $40 for the starter box is kinda steep.

Fast forward to today, I find out that Amazon.com and MinuatureMarket have some significant discounts, and I've got the starter box, a TIE Interceptor, and a TIE Phantom arriving in the mail tomorrow, and one of my friends and I are going to give it a whirl. :suicide:

Even if I somehow don't enjoy the tabletop game itself (unlikely), I can see myself getting a bunch of the minis because they seriously look really great.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They really are. I was blown away by the Falcon the first time I saw it in person.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
My toddler would be pissed if he knew that mom and dad stayed up after his bedtime to play with toy spaceships without him.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What games do people play that X-Wing is considered expensive

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have a whole 2-3 extra armies for my friends to borrow but so far every time I've introduced one to the game they eventually buy the minis themselves cuz they're just so pretty lol. I was hoping I would get free meals before/during tournaments in exchange for letting them borrow my stuff but nope.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

alg posted:

RPGs with $40-$60 in core books, and $15-$40 board games probably. $200+ on spaceships looks like a lot in comparison; but GW refugees know that $200 is no big deal after selling their $2000+ msrp army on eBay for $750.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Indolent Bastard posted:

RPGs with $40-$60 in core books, and $15-$40 board games probably. $200+ on spaceships looks like a lot in comparison; but GW refugees know that $200 is no big deal after selling their $2000+ msrp army on eBay for $750.

GW refugee here :( A $50 book to go along with your ~$80 rulebook before you can even put down 2 troops and an HQ on the table (which can cost around $200 for some factions), and that's for the smallest legal game. I've got ~$2200 of imperial guard that I'm trying to offload locally for less than half of MSRP and there's no takers for it.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Alright I've been doing more scenario design and stuff. Scum vs Imperial army likely to be a 2v2 kinda situation. Most of the players are new, except for me, and only have a few games under their belt but are picking it up fast.

Scum attacking and 'capturing' an Imperial outpost

Scum List

Imperial List

Imperials have a space station in roughly the middle of the board that has 6 hull, agility 1 and while its still functional it can give an evade or focus token to one friendly ship within range 2 of it.

I've trying to make use of a bunch of non-standard meta stuff and would vaguely make sense for the situation their in. Does this look fair? Anything obvious issues?

kingcom fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 10, 2015

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I build and shoot guns as my primary hobby. Not even GW miniatures can come close to the cost of that. It's like every game you play costs you $50-100 on top of what you paid for your toys.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alg posted:

If I'm primarily buying the game for the sweet miniatures, then $15 per tiny ship is pretty pricey.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

My friends play MtG so my roughly $70 tournament ready teams look pretty nice compared to christ knows how much for their Extended or Legacy decks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not to mention the weekly fees for MtG tournaments. That was $80 a month at my local shop just to do Friday Night Magic + Saturday drafts.

Even with FFG's multi-core buy-ins, the cost of playing any (or multiple) FFG games is much more reasonable than MtG.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

alg posted:

Literally anything that isn't a miniatures game or like a CCG

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

canyoneer posted:

Maybe they'll switch things up and do a two-faction booster with Poe's X-Wing and that Special Forces TiE with the red on it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Yeah, X-Wing is cheap compared to Warhammer or Magic, but try comparing it to Ticket to Ride or Puzzle Strike and it looks a lot less reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

X-Wing is a game where it's really easy to spend more money. A new ship is easily within "impulse buy" range for most of its market.

Do you need that ship? Nah, you can have fun with just the core set! But that ship...it looks neat! That guy over there has three! Holy poo poo is that the Millenium Falcon?

• Locked thread