Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Blast Fantasto posted:

Welp, I just paid $100 for a lot of 250 random records from the 60s in good condition. No clue what's in the lot.

I'll report back once I've dug through it all.

Hope you like Herb Alpert and Christmas music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Ballz posted:

Hope you like Herb Alpert and Christmas music.

I'm prepared for that scenario. .40 a record is pretty much thrift store prices anyway. I figure everything terrible I'll donate to Goodwill for the tax write-off.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

If anyone likes the Eels this box set is gonna be dope. http://modern-vinyl.com/2015/09/04/eels-releasing-vinyl-box-set/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Welp, I just paid $100 for a lot of 250 random records from the 60s in good condition. No clue what's in the lot.

I'll report back once I've dug through it all.

You might find some good poo poo in there, but chances are good that you paid someone a hundred dollars to deal with their trash for them. Good luck.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ9tCRh41OM

nadabolt
May 17, 2009
lol dope.

Bonus points for spindle dick, a gimmick I never get tired of

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That is possibly the ugliest goddamn turntable I've ever seen.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
It can't be ugly, it's $80,000.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

The Vinyl Thread- Everything is hosed Up and Everybody Sucks

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

The Vinyl Thread- Everything is hosed Up and Everybody Sucks

is there limp bizkit vinyl

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
My local store just got in a used copy, so unfortunately yes.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Gravel Gravy posted:

It can't be ugly, it's $80,000.

lol jesus

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

a worthy uhh posted:

is there limp bizkit vinyl

I bet it's incredibly expensive.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ran out to Best Buy last night and picked this jawn up

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gross.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just found a sealed copy of The Residents' Codgers on the Moon at my local store over the weekend - particularly odd since it only had a one-off pressing of 250 copies last year. Also caught the documentary as it blew through town. Definitely worth a look.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I've wanted to check out the Residents for a while but I have no idea where to start because they have 9 million albums and from what I've read they don't have a signature sound other than "weird".

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I've wanted to check out the Residents for a while but I have no idea where to start because they have 9 million albums and from what I've read they don't have a signature sound other than "weird".

I've considered it as well, I'm thinking I might as well just start with the first record and go on from there.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

If you want to go for something a little more palatable, Demons Dance Alone is an easily digestible, haunting album the band recorded right after 9/11. It's an easy listening and probably the highlight of their current (?) state. It's my go-to for a suggestion for their more pleasant side.

My favorite Residents album is also the most impenetrable: Not Available. It sounds utterly alien, I can't even imagine in my head it being recorded in a studio by a group of human beings. It took their Theory of Obscurity (an Artist's best work being produced in total seclusion without any sort of influence from the outside world, especially any sort of audience) and took it to the most logical conclusion (recording an album and locking it in a vault, deciding never to release it until they had forgotten about it entirely).

I can go super-autist-goon on some Residents, but those two are good intros to both sides of the band.

EDIT: keep away from the late '80s/Early '90s material for the most part. It's all chintzy MIDI garbage and pretty indefensible.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 8, 2015

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!

caligulamprey posted:

If you want to go for something a little more palatable, Demons Dance Alone

Seconding this. There's a live concert video on youtube thats pretty slick as well. Mush-room is also an interesting, newer album by them. 2013, I think?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Giga Gaia posted:

Seconding this. There's a live concert video on youtube thats pretty slick as well. Mush-room is also an interesting, newer album by them. 2013, I think?
Mush-Room (I had to look it up - 2013, on the head) is actually a solo thing done by the main composer Chuck (guys who only had a vague understanding of The Residents: they all have names now. And they're all over Facebook and Tumblr and it's loving weird). It's definitely worth getting into, but not necessarily a good starting point if you want the band experience.

The Demons tour was actually the first time I got to see them live. I will forever kick myself for not getting to see the Wormwood show, which is also up on YouTube and completely nuts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fckHimmB8tQ

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Would you happen to know if that recent reissue of Meet the Residents is the mono mix?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Would you happen to know if that recent reissue of Meet the Residents is the mono mix?
It's the mono mix and it sounds like garbage coming out of a butt, a stereo copy is the way to go. It's the only recent MVD repress that I would suggest skipping entirely.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008

caligulamprey posted:

If you want to go for something a little more palatable, Demons Dance Alone is an easily digestible, haunting album the band recorded right after 9/11. It's an easy listening and probably the highlight of their current (?) state. It's my go-to for a suggestion for their more pleasant side.

My favorite Residents album is also the most impenetrable: Not Available. It sounds utterly alien, I can't even imagine in my head it being recorded in a studio by a group of human beings. It took their Theory of Obscurity (an Artist's best work being produced in total seclusion without any sort of influence from the outside world, especially any sort of audience) and took it to the most logical conclusion (recording an album and locking it in a vault, deciding never to release it until they had forgotten about it entirely).

I can go super-autist-goon on some Residents, but those two are good intros to both sides of the band.

EDIT: keep away from the late '80s/Early '90s material for the most part. It's all chintzy MIDI garbage and pretty indefensible.

Not Available is my favorite Residents album as well. There's something about it that just draws you in...it's beautiful, funny and scary all at the same time. Every time I listen to it, I feel like I figure out one thing about it only to have several new questions come up. Fantastic record.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

caligulamprey posted:

I just listened to Not Available for the first time on your recommendation and loved it. Can you give me a few other recommendations on what to track down next? I haven't heard Demons Dance Alone yet.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

It's the mono mix and it sounds like garbage coming out of a butt, a stereo copy is the way to go. It's the only recent MVD repress that I would suggest skipping entirely.

Okay, thanks. I couldn't find anything specific about that online.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Blast Fantasto posted:

I just listened to Not Available for the first time on your recommendation and loved it. Can you give me a few other recommendations on what to track down next? I haven't heard Demons Dance Alone yet.
That's good to hear. It's tricky laying The Residents on people, it's always fun when the reaction isn't immediately "What the gently caress, turn that poo poo off."

Not Available is such a serious recording, let's go the opposite direction this time: The Third Reich and Roll is a silly nightmare pastiche of all your favorite '60s and '70s pop hits by four people eating all the drugs, banging on pots and pans and generally making a mess of things. Throw the two singles usually associated with the release on top of it for extra fun - their Satisfaction cover is hilarious and borderline unlistenable, while The Beatles play The Residents and The Residents play The Beatles takes a few dozen Beatles tracks and combines them in a creepy pre-mashup, Negativland-esque composition.

If anyone's interested, I can work on a Residents thread. Though I have to admit I tried once, reread the first draft and threw it all away in self-loathing nerd shame.

CPL593H posted:

Okay, thanks. I couldn't find anything specific about that online.
If you're looking for records, I'd suggest tracking down the EuroRalph releases that came out about 15 years ago, they're all in Gatefold sleeves, sound great and you can still track them down used for $20, $25 at most.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

The only Residents record I've listened to is Meet The Residents and it's great, it's like Trout Mask Replica but listenable.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

That's good to hear. It's tricky laying The Residents on people, it's always fun when the reaction isn't immediately "What the gently caress, turn that poo poo off."

Not Available is such a serious recording, let's go the opposite direction this time: The Third Reich and Roll is a silly nightmare pastiche of all your favorite '60s and '70s pop hits by four people eating all the drugs, banging on pots and pans and generally making a mess of things. Throw the two singles usually associated with the release on top of it for extra fun - their Satisfaction cover is hilarious and borderline unlistenable, while The Beatles play The Residents and The Residents play The Beatles takes a few dozen Beatles tracks and combines them in a creepy pre-mashup, Negativland-esque composition.

If anyone's interested, I can work on a Residents thread. Though I have to admit I tried once, reread the first draft and threw it all away in self-loathing nerd shame.

If you're looking for records, I'd suggest tracking down the EuroRalph releases that came out about 15 years ago, they're all in Gatefold sleeves, sound great and you can still track them down used for $20, $25 at most.

You should absolutely make that thread.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I too, would be interested in a Residents thread, given my knowledge of them doesn't expand much past caligulamprey's avatar.

In other news, I'm really digging the new Slum Village record. More resurrected Dilla beats, but at least they're ones we've never heard before and has people he was actually associated with in life rapping over them.

Pieholes
Sep 18, 2010

Is the Audio-Technica AT-LP60USB any good? I saw a vid where the guy hooked it up to computer speakers and since I'm on a budget I figured that might be a good solution for the time being (I'm planning on getting a better setup in the future though). Would this work? My standards for audio quality aren't very high so that's not a problem. You might ask why I don't just buy a used turntable but I live in a small country where everything's expensive, the AT-LP60 is cheap compared to most of the used turntables I've seen.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Pieholes posted:

Is the Audio-Technica AT-LP60USB any good? I saw a vid where the guy hooked it up to computer speakers and since I'm on a budget I figured that might be a good solution for the time being (I'm planning on getting a better setup in the future though).

No. It's a pretty bad purchase and we generally recommend against it.

On top of the standard 'low build quality' complaints that you'd expect, the main issue with the LP60 is that it comes with a proprietary cartridge that sucks rear end and also can't ever be replaced with something better (and if you intend to stick with vinyl, you'll want something better).

Contrary to what audiophiles would have you believe, it doesn't take much to make a good turntable- something decent that's capable of taking standard cartridges could last you indefinitely with upgrades. With an LP-60, you're already committing to buying another turntable in the future (also, good luck selling one of those when you're done with it).

If I were you, I'd save up until I could afford something better (almost anything else). If you want something new with a built in preamp, go one step up to the LP-120. It's the great entry/standard-level turntable that the LP-60 isn't.

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
posted in correct thread. Sorry

Cyber Punk 90210 fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 14, 2015

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -