Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Shamed at being unable to be more hated than Konami, Capcom quietly concedes to finally let Dragon's Dogma Flying into PC release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I'd bet cash money that it's a test to see how well DD can do on PC to judge if DDO is worth bringing over. It's a relatively simple product to make that's a lot cheaper than a beta test or something for DDO.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm really excited for a second wave of complaints from people who just don't quite grasp that the plot and writing in Dragon's Dogma don't loving matter at all.

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, all of you assholes saying you wanted DD on PC better buy it, or Capcom is going to be all smug and tweet about how so many people said they wanted a PC version, and then no one bought it.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yeah I am a chump and will probably buy the game a third time.

Maybe being on PC, someone can mod it so 2h weapon users can use more than 3 skills :argh:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm really excited for a second wave of complaints from people who just don't quite grasp that the plot and writing in Dragon's Dogma don't loving matter at all.

There's some multi-dimensional fuckery going on in the background with the Pawns and about how all of the worlds loop basically nonstop that is pretty interesting story, but its mentioned like twice, and both times they were throwaway lines after killing bosses.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just heard the news. Time to get ready to buy and play this game again, plus

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I'm going to enjoy the day one Flying into Free menu music mod

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Neo Helbeast posted:

There's some multi-dimensional fuckery going on in the background with the Pawns and about how all of the worlds loop basically nonstop that is pretty interesting story, but its mentioned like twice, and both times they were throwaway lines after killing bosses.

Here is a detailed plot synopsis of Dragon's Dogma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XBlBPtQW6g

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I only got into DD thanks to DA being free on PS+ so I'll happily give Capcom money to encourage PC ports of games.

Maybe on PC I'll actually finish the game...

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

60 fps 1080p dragma ha ha HAAAA

i wonder how they're gonna manage the pawn server stuff

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Fereydun posted:

60 fps 1080p dragma ha ha HAAAA

i wonder how they're gonna manage the pawn server stuff

Probably not that difficult. Put up a server. It's not like the PS3/360 versions didn't have comical amounts of hacking on pawn saves.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Hot drat I can't wait for some PC DD

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

titties posted:

I'd be happy with a DDO localization, a Dark Arisen port, or a sequel. idgaf which one it is as long as it's for PS4 :smith:

It seems weird to me to make this for just PC, I bet Dark Arisen gets announced very soon for PS4 and Xbone.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It will be fun on release to have frequent pawn hiring again. My pawn was hired I think twice during my recent multi-run grind from level 1 to ~150. Also

A Steampunk Gent posted:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Harrow posted:

Two mods/new features I'd really love:

1. Make Mystic Knight and Magick Archer stat growth not rear end. Those classes are both fun as gently caress but if you spend all your time as them you're going to end up really weak. Last time I played, I ended up using a loving spreadsheet to map out my level-ups to ensure I'd end up with good stats for both classes while also getting to spend at least some time actually playing them. (I spent a lot of time as Assassin and Sorcerer, which are fun, too, so it wasn't like I didn't enjoy the game.) I will definitely end up doing exactly that again, but if at all possible it'd be neat if those two classes had decent stat growth so that I could spend more time Mystic Knighting it up! Okay thanks.

2. New Game ++ and/or Bitterblack Super-Hard Mode. We can already level to 200. Give us something to do at 200! Even the hardest stuff in Bitterblack Isle just melts when you have a team of level 200 dudes with even halfway decent stats and gear.

Six abilities on Warrior instead of three.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Lotish posted:

Warriors only have three because they get to wield the objectively coolest weapons in the game so it all balances out.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The only change they need to make to Warrior is have have Vegeta's 'I'm super pissed' theme come on every time you charge up your super attack

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

There's a well-written story in there just aching to be realized. As it stands, it's pretty poo poo and plot-wise also pretty poo poo. But there's enough nuggets that the game become much more interesting when you do all the speculative legwork in yourself.

Harrow posted:

Two mods/new features I'd really love:

1. Make Mystic Knight and Magick Archer stat growth not rear end. Those classes are both fun as gently caress but if you spend all your time as them you're going to end up really weak. Last time I played, I ended up using a loving spreadsheet to map out my level-ups to ensure I'd end up with good stats for both classes while also getting to spend at least some time actually playing them. (I spent a lot of time as Assassin and Sorcerer, which are fun, too, so it wasn't like I didn't enjoy the game.) I will definitely end up doing exactly that again, but if at all possible it'd be neat if those two classes had decent stat growth so that I could spend more time Mystic Knighting it up! Okay thanks.

2. New Game ++ and/or Bitterblack Super-Hard Mode. We can already level to 200. Give us something to do at 200! Even the hardest stuff in Bitterblack Isle just melts when you have a team of level 200 dudes with even halfway decent stats and gear.

1. Remove affinity gains from mandatory and plot-relevant quests. I don't mind it when I go out of my way to find and do quests for Quina or Valmiro or Madeline. I do mind being locked into it when I send Reynard or goddamned Aelinore on their way.

2. Rumors. Some hint that someone in some far away part of the world has a missable quest for me that I can do and should do before advancing the main quest and stealth-failing it.

3. 6skills4warrior

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is the mod you really want.

http://www.youdubber.com/index.php?video=8XBlBPtQW6g&video_start=0&audio=fGx6K90TmCI&audio_start=0

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

CountingWizard posted:

I'm thinking for the PC release I'll be a hobbit Assassin or tall gaunt Sorcerer.
Not sure if they changed it since original release, but your height determines how much weight you can carry and thus how many items.
Atleast make a big rear end pawn to carry all your stuff.

Dexo posted:

Probably not that difficult. Put up a server. It's not like the PS3/360 versions didn't have comical amounts of hacking on pawn saves.
Speaking of hacking pawns: I saw people claim they would ruin the PC experience by hacking other people's pawns and send them back to their owners with poo poo stats. Is that even possible?
If it was, it must have happened on consoles too, right?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

A Steampunk Gent posted:

This is the only mod that matters.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

THIS WORKS WAY TO WELL.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doggboat posted:

Not sure if they changed it since original release, but your height determines how much weight you can carry and thus how many items.
Atleast make a big rear end pawn to carry all your stuff.

Pretty sure it's actually your weight that determines how much you can carry, while your height affects how fast you run (longer strides). Maybe I'm wrong as it's been a couple years since I played.

However, being taller generally makes you heavier unless you balance it out in other ways, and being fat does slow you down, so it's a balance. I think if you want to run as fast as possible you need to be a super tall, super thin gangly monkey.

My pawn has always been a superbuff dude to carry all my stuff, which generally works until you make him carry consumables too and he chugs a panacea because he fell in a puddle and got wet. While he's still in the puddle.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 9, 2015

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Pretty sure it's actually your weight that determines how much you can carry, while your height affects how fast you run (longer strides). Maybe I'm wrong as it's been a couple years since I played.

However, being taller generally makes you heavier unless you balance it out in other ways, and being fat does slow you down, so it's a balance. I think if you want to run as fast as possible you need to be a super tall, super thin gangly monkey.
Weight has a whole bunch of things that it affects - carrying capacity, run speed, and stamina consumption/recovery being the main things:
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Weight
Height affects some other stuff, too, but weight class has more widespread consequences
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Height

It's actually pretty neat seeing how many details they worked into these two characteristics. Dragma is a pretty great game.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I can't think of any game that needed a PC port more desperately than DD. This is pretty loving rad news.

Can't wait to run up to NPCs without needing to wait 10 seconds for them to load in. Maybe Gran Soren will actually have visible people walking around while you're sprinting, too.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 9, 2015

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Completely stoked, great news on several fronts. First, Capcom is keeping this IP alive in more ways than one, I was afraid it'd be abandoned by now.

Second, a chance to play with a fresh player community, I came in about a year late to the console version so missed the peak of that, looking forward to this a lot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nahxela posted:

Weight has a whole bunch of things that it affects - carrying capacity, run speed, and stamina consumption/recovery being the main things:
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Weight
Height affects some other stuff, too, but weight class has more widespread consequences
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/Character_Height

It's actually pretty neat seeing how many details they worked into these two characteristics. Dragma is a pretty great game.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about the stamina and hitbox stuff. I mainly looked this stuff up in the months right after the game came out and there were only a couple gameFAQs posts to go on based on pretty limited tests. Height and weight affect so many little things that there's probably not really a "right" number to reach with them, which is great because it lets you to make this without being at a disadvantage.

This game is a wonderful blend of so bad it's bad, so bad it's good, and so good it's awesome.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Gestalt Intellect posted:

My pawn has always been a superbuff dude to carry all my stuff, which generally works until you make him carry consumables too and he chugs a panacea because he fell in a puddle and got wet. While he's still in the puddle.
Same. Except it was a superbuff lady towering over me.

My excitement made my remember all the screenshots I made and I went through them. Good memories.
I also saved some from the DD blog, that showed off the best screenshots every month. I wonder if that is still going on.

Finally those things can be in HD with better textures.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Better graphics would be nice but really all I want to see presentation-wise is 60 FPS at all times. Faster loading would be good too but unless they manage to make it super unoptimized for modern processors there's almost no way it won't load faster than 10-year old consoles.

Something else I really hope they can do but don't know if they will is quick-use items, like on the number keys, because having to go to the super slow menu every time you need to use a consumable or take your lantern out (worst is having to do this 2 times when your lantern gets wet) really slows down the game and completely stops the action when you're busy trying to fly into free.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Dude, you're dreaming way too small. You could replace literally every single track in the game.

Lotish posted:

Also this would be pretty cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Gonna laugh when modding is locked down in some way because Capcom has to gently caress this up somehow.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Oh god yes yes yes I will be buying this on PC. I will buy several copies.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Doggboat posted:

I also saved some from the DD blog, that showed off the best screenshots every month. I wonder if that is still going on.
It is.

http://game.capcom.com/dragonsdogma/en/index.html

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Warrior would be a lovely, lame class even with 6 abilities. I struggle to find 3 that I like when I'm forced to max it out for the crazy good augments. Mostly just use light and jump attacks. Adding another 3 skills that I never use wouldn't make it any better. By far my least favorite vocation.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm excited to be able to experience this game for myself instead of vicariously through the fine gifs that you fine people have posted for our viewing pleasure.

But, since it's not January yet, I humbly request that you post more Dragon's Dogma gifs.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Everyone make sure you have your bottles of iodine ready for January!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vargs posted:

Warrior would be a lovely, lame class even with 6 abilities. I struggle to find 3 that I like when I'm forced to max it out for the crazy good augments. Mostly just use light and jump attacks. Adding another 3 skills that I never use wouldn't make it any better. By far my least favorite vocation.

SOMEONE doesn't know the true joy of Arc of Deliverance and subsequent upgrades!

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, warriors are actually great.

EDIT: Oh that's why this thread suddenly had so many posts. Time to add another entry to the list of games Capcom has tricked me into buying twice.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Orv posted:

Gonna laugh when modding is locked down in some way because Capcom has to gently caress this up somehow.
They tried to lock down Dragon's Dogma Online and look how much that helped them.

I'm already hyped for and plan to be modding Dark Arisen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What happened to Online?

• Locked thread