Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Operant posted:

Iron Bull totally backstabs you if he remains with the Qunari. drat that hurts.

If you save the Chargers, Krem and the bard hook up :3:. Might need spirit Cole, though

This DLC is so good so far, you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Crow Jane posted:

If you save the Chargers, Krem and the bard hook up :3:. Might need spirit Cole, though

Human Cole hooks up with the bard, which was completely out of left field

Also for the curious, my Blackwall who bugged out and never gave me the Revelations quest has totally disappeared. My party select screen looks like it defaulted to the "Exiled" choice.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Crow Jane posted:

Human Cole hooks up with the Bard, even with the Chargers alive.

Edit: ^^^ Beat me to it.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

CuwiKhons posted:

Human Cole hooks up with the bard, which was completely out of left field

Also for the curious, my Blackwall who bugged out and never gave me the Revelations quest has totally disappeared. My party select screen looks like it defaulted to the "Exiled" choice.

I pardoned him, and his name is Thom Rainer on the character screen now

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Operant posted:

Really should have seen that one coming.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

I pardoned him, and his name is Thom Rainer on the character screen now

It says Thom on mine too, but he's totally unselectable and nowhere to be found. Like I said, I think my game decided the default outcome of Revelations was exile.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So if this closes you out of your save file, is it pretty safe to assume that this will be the last story DLC?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I somehow managed to miss the last two DLC for this game, apparently Bioware's strategy this time was little to no fanfare?

I got "Jaws of Hakkon" already, figured I'd play through all the DLC on a binge ala ME3.

I'm not really feeling "Jaws" so far. Does it eventually have a decent story to hook me in? Should I even bother with the side stuff in the area (shards? again? What, did they add MORE doors to the Oasis? :psyduck:) or should I just settle on the main path?

The Decent (which I'm under the impression is a dungeon crawl? Cool.) and Trespasser (mini expansion?) sound more interesting. "Jaws" is just feeling like an area that was removed from a game that already had too many areas.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Inky says as much in the end, their part is done.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I thought Jaws of Hakkon was ok (its the only DLC I've bought so far but I have vague plans to eventually buy the other 2) but like Snuffman said, I think Jaws of Hakkon was honestly to much like the other side areas, with maybe a BIT more story. I think it would have been a lot better just to maybe make it 10 dollars instead and just had it completely story driven. I'm sure that wouldn't sell the most copies of the DLC but I guess its more what I personally would have enjoyed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Once I got to the island, I had learned enough about the first Inquisitor that I was starting to get into it, and I liked the scholar's insight into how the cultures behind the original Inquisition, old Orlesian empire, the Chantry and the Dales formed each other. The next real good bit, in my opinion, comes during and after assaulting the Jaws main base.

I see your complaint about it feeling like more of the original game's superfluous extra areas, but what bugged me about most of the side areas in the base game--Emerald Graves, Exalted Plains, the like--was that they didn't really build to anything. In Exalted Plains, it's perfectly possible to kill the "boss" behind everything and not even notice, and that bugged me. The Frostback Basin feels like what those areas of the base game should have been--quests that take you throughout the region and give you a chance to sidequest, listen to companions or explore the scenery/history, but then it tightens up to give you a boss or two and otherwise cap the area's narrative. Emprise du Lion is really the only area of the base game I felt did it right.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 9, 2015

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Operant posted:

Oh thank god I had him become tal-vashoth on the playthrough where I romanced him. Why do the Qunari have him kill you?

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
They're there to solve the issue of chaos, ever since the Breach, AKA converting at swordpoint. As you may imagine, this does not exactly fit into Orlesian and Fereldan culture.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Whoa nelly--powers now have two optional upgrades you can toggle.

For example, Whirlwind can be upgraded for the original bonus, which increases damage per rotation, or toggled to create a vortex that sucks enemies in.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Lotish posted:

Whoa nelly--powers now have two optional upgrades you can toggle.

For example, Whirlwind can be upgraded for the original bonus, which increases damage per rotation, or toggled to create a vortex that sucks enemies in.

Yeah, it's great because I can now make Iron Bull stop killing himself with his stupid skill tree.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On the other hand that Vortex ability seems to be causing some unintentional hilarity with the darkspawn I'm fighting in Descent, because I'll pull like three to five genlocks into one spot and suddenly they're raining out of the sky because the game doesn't know where to put them, I guess.

That might be what just caused my game to crash to desktop.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Alright so, I just finished up the DLC and first of all: it owns, highly recommend it, if you've never bought any of the DLC before, this one is absolutely worth it.

Second of all, huge loving spoilers ahead:

The only thing I kind of didn't like was that the Inquisition was getting blamed for Qunari spies. I can totally understand blaming them for not telling the ambassadors about the attack, but why is it the Inquisitor's fault that there are members of his organization that have apparently been Qunari spies since loving Kirkwall? If it isn't Orlais' fault that some of their servants are working for Solas then why is our fault that some of ours are working for the Qun?

Re: romances, my boyfriend of choice is always Dorian and the thing at the beginning with "Look sorry, but I'm going back to Tevinter forever, soz" had me a little worried that that particular romance option was going to get dropped down a well. But Dorian is a permanent member of my party and let me loving tell you, once the mark on your hand starts going rabid, that romance really pays some emotional dividends.

Re: the actual ending, I told Solas I was gonna kill him because what the gently caress you insane douchebag. I wonder how many of his agents know that his plan ends with all of them dead. Loved that the Inquisitor just lopped his own hand off though. "Well this thing is killing me and I'm relying on the goodwill of a man I've recently declared my enemy to postpone my death... Somebody get me an axe."

Oh and, if DA4 doesn't take place primarily, if not entirely, in Tevinter, I'll eat my PS4 controller. That was some pretty unsubtle hinting at the end there.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Playing Trespasser atm, and is this servant the one guy I should arrest? He seems scummy.?

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 9, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

drat, this is the third CTD tonight.

edit: fifth.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 9, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
These spoilers are doing an excellent job of convincing me not to get Trespasser. Bioware's habit of pissing away interesting story directions with the Dragon Age setting seems to be proceeding apace.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Lotish posted:

drat, this is the third CTD tonight.

edit: fifth.

I was getting lots in descent until i turned vsync off idk

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Yep, the game warns you about it before you accept the mission.

Related - I keep finding dog treats scattered around the Winter Palace. I better be getting a Mabari out of this, Bioware!

Edit - WHY DOES CULLEN GET A MABARI AND I DON'T?! :negative:

Yep, I squealed when I started finding those. Then I saw Cullen (who is my romance) so I guess I got one anyway!

The whole last few minutes with Solas, my friend, my bro totally looking at me like a bug he is about to squish, had me absolutely pissed. My human KE is a peacemaker though, so I didn't start anything with him,but I just realized my snippy dwarf, who is also his friend, drank the Well... OH poo poo.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

epitasis posted:

I was getting lots in descent until i turned vsync off idk

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

edit: nope, I think that's the seventh tonight. Gonna call it quits for now.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 9, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

These spoilers are doing an excellent job of convincing me not to get Trespasser. Bioware's habit of pissing away interesting story directions with the Dragon Age setting seems to be proceeding apace.

To be fair that describes DAI itself pretty well. I would've prefered something that focused on the Mage/Templar war, or at least something that stayed in the realm of mortal decisions. Orlais invading Fereldon or something, elves rebelling, anything would've been better than "and then a hole in the sky appears and demons rain from it." DAI saved itself with it's characters, but some of the descriptions of Solas in this dlc seem...less than promising.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I typed G and my ps4 recommended the word "Glasses". I don't know why, but I couldn't stop laughing.

Glasses Trevelyan. I just had to do it.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
i'm going to go ahead and assume Solas is a massive douchebag in this DLC.

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
Somehow this 120 hour game still feels like a prologue to whatever comes next even with this 'closure'. I actually hope they let you play the Inquisitor again.

DLC was awesome tho.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

HIJK posted:

So nothing's changed from the main game?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

HIJK posted:

Solas is literally always a massive douchebag.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Holy gently caress, having the Golden Nug sitting there, waiting for you when you get to Haven the first time is broken as hell.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Just finished, and I'm actually going to say that the depiction of Solas in this was perfect and that encounter with him is probably some of the strongest scenes the franchise has had, though half of that was probably due to Ianto Jones selling the hell out of it.

This was definitely the best DLC, though I thought it was just about as long as Descent and actually a bit shorter than Jaws of Hakkon. Probably because JoH just had all that vast expanse of overworld shite for you to explore.

But because I'm me, I have a far easier time whining about stuff I disliked instead of the stuff I liked, so I also gotta say that the whole "fate of the Inquisition" choice is really contrived. There's ultimately only two options forced on you here: pare the Inquisition down a little and serve the Divine directly as a peacekeeping force, or else disband entirely. That's...bullshit? Why's there no option to keep the Inquisition as it is, and to hell with anyone who objects? I know that the "rationale" is that Solas has spies in your ranks, but...who cares? That very fact that he does indicates that he's wary of what the Inquisition could do. And by that logic any organization large enough for its enemies to infiltrate should just...what?...stop being large?...instead of being more careful about their operations and keeping truly important information on a need-to-know basis, between more trusted personnel. Of course it's not a perfect solution, but neither were the other choices you were saddled with, so you should've had the option to choose that imperfect solution instead of being saddled with two other "Wait, what?" conclusions.

And wait....Sera got together with Dagna? What did I miss? :stare: And Human Cole gets with Maryden which...okay? I mean it's not dumb or anything, but both these things were just kinda weird 'cuz there was really no hints or lead-up to it at all in the main game and then just kinda happens here. And, honestly, of all the various interesting and nuanced things they could've done with a humanized Cole, simply giving him a girlfriend and calling it a day seems...drab.

But yeah anyway.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

But because I'm me, I have a far easier time whining about stuff I disliked instead of the stuff I liked, so I also gotta say that the whole "fate of the Inquisition" choice is really contrived. There's ultimately only two options forced on you here: pare the Inquisition down a little and serve the Divine directly as a peacekeeping force, or else disband entirely. That's...bullshit? Why's there no option to keep the Inquisition as it is, and to hell with anyone who objects? I know that the "rationale" is that Solas has spies in your ranks, but...who cares? That very fact that he does indicates that he's wary of what the Inquisition could do. And by that logic any organization large enough for its enemies to infiltrate should just...what?...stop being large?...instead of being more careful about their operations and keeping truly important information on a need-to-know basis, between more trusted personnel. Of course it's not a perfect solution, but neither were the other choices you were saddled with, so you should've had the option to choose that imperfect solution instead of being saddled with two other "Wait, what?" conclusions.

I'd imagine this happens more so less so that they could continue making games in the setting without having to account for multiple different versions of a world spanning power based on the player's choices. Doing it this way the Inquisition is a smaller arm of the Chantry, or a select cabal of friends. Either way it let's them boil the whole game down to something that will fit into a few lines of exposition in the next DA title.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
I'm very :3: that (Dorian related romance spoilers) Dorian and Bull are still together if you didn't romance either one of them and miraculously managed to trigger their get-together banter in Inquisition. Their fate is similar to Dorian and the Inquisitor in that they're physically apart but still together, and they make an effort to see each other when they can. It's very sweet and they get some really nice banter too.

Also very glad that (Bull spoiler) I could never sacrifice the Chargers. Bull trying to kill you is way too :stare: to contemplate, and I also always felt him going Tal-Vashoth was the natural progression of his story anyway.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh! and also by all that's good and holy :siren: DON'T SKIP THE CREDITS :siren: I know we expect to see a scene after everything is done but there's something truly amazing during the credits, while all the names are still scrolling by. I myself skipped it and just now found out about this in a Twitch stream.

It's a voiceover of Cassandra reading Varric's newest book. :xd:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Solas:

I loving hate him. He's pretentious and arrogant, and he has the sheer loving gall to act guilty and passive aggressive on top of that. He is one of the best video game villains, because it's been a while since wanted to murder anyone so badly as I do him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

cyclical posted:

I'm very :3: that (Dorian related romance spoilers) Dorian and Bull are still together if you didn't romance either one of them and miraculously managed to trigger their get-together banter in Inquisition. Their fate is similar to Dorian and the Inquisitor in that they're physically apart but still together, and they make an effort to see each other when they can. It's very sweet and they get some really nice banter too.

I have tried to make this happen in two full playthroughs to no avail god drat.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

And wait....Sera got together with Dagna? What did I miss? :stare:

Apparently, and I completely missed this as well so yeah I had the same reaction you did, Sera's notes up by her room make several mentions of Dagna with the nickname "Widdle"? Seems weird to me since Sera loving hates magic and Dagna's all about it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

CuwiKhons posted:

Apparently, and I completely missed this as well so yeah I had the same reaction you did, Sera's notes up by her room make several mentions of Dagna with the nickname "Widdle"? Seems weird to me since Sera loving hates magic and Dagna's all about it.

And also the part where Dagna spends every second of every day geeking out, while Sera can barely sustain a conversation with a hunk of driftwood. But whatever, it's all random fan-wank at this point anyway.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 9, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

I've just realized that I really can't ever play that Inquisitor again - he's an archery rogue, can't pull a bow with one hand :downs:

Also since my game bugged out on me, can anybody tell me how Blackwall's story went in the DLC? Just a gist of what the big dumb liar's been up to and what the ending says about him.

Edit - Oh, I also meant to ask is it even possible for the Inquisitor or Dorian to romance Bull if you have him stay loyal to the Qun? I've never romanced Bull OR been able to stomach killing the Chargers. How does that go with the DLC?

CuwiKhons fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CuwiKhons posted:

I've just realized that I really can't ever play that Inquisitor again - he's an archery rogue, can't pull a bow with one hand :downs:

Also since my game bugged out on me, can anybody tell me how Blackwall's story went in the DLC? Just a gist of what the big dumb liar's been up to and what the ending says about him.

I punished him by ordering him to atone and apologize to everyone he wronged, and in Trespasser he talks about how he's been travelling around doing just that, particularly to the members of his old squad. The epilogue slideshow talks about him visiting condemned prisoners and spreading hope throughout the land. Good for him. I sent him to the Gray Wardens on another character, gotta play through and see how he fared there.

That was a really good DLC and ending to the story, though.

• Locked thread