Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh wow, that makes more sense. I always wondered how locknstitch had any strength in tension.

Also, chernobyl was a human error on top of crude engineering and soviet-style corruption.

Yes, the reactor had a positive void coefficient.
Yes, it had no real containment. Even the building it was in was in poor shape when built, the concrete precast blocks were so poorly cast they had issues and fewer were shipped than were called for in the design.
Yes, the test plan was a bad idea and yes it was run across a shift change.

But that isn't what doomed them.

The other problem was because of the overly political management and overbearing bureaucracy. Remember, things were so bureaucratic and bureaucrats so incompetent in the USSR that people on the ground were used to asking for permission to do a test, and then taking no response as implicit consent because most inept bureaucrats just ignored anything they didn't understand. So instead of the request going up the chain, then back down till it reached the reactor designers, it sat on some useless fuckasses desk because he was afraid to approve or reject it, and the operators (who had been taught to treat it like a very large, magical coal/steam turbine) decided that meant their plan was solid and went for it.

And then it blew the gently caress up.

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kastein posted:

Oh wow, that makes more sense. I always wondered how locknstitch had any strength in tension.

Also, chernobyl was a human error on top of crude engineering and soviet-style corruption.

Yes, it had no real containment. Even the building it was in was in poor shape when built, the concrete precast blocks were so poorly cast they had issues and fewer were shipped than were called for in the design.

The other problem was because of the overly political management and overbearing bureaucracy. Remember, things were so bureaucratic and bureaucrats so incompetent in the USSR that people on the ground were used to asking for permission to do a test, and then taking no response as implicit consent because most inept bureaucrats just ignored anything they didn't understand. So instead of the request going up the chain, then back down till it reached the reactor designers, it sat on some useless fuckasses desk because he was afraid to approve or reject it, and the operators (who had been taught to treat it like a very large, magical coal/steam turbine) decided that meant their plan was solid and went for it.

Pretty much. It was a perfect storm of everything bad about nuclear engineering, management, and bureaucracy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

kastein posted:

no, it was because atoms are bad, and so we should never use nuclear ever

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

When I saw the huge cardboard template on the Diesel Generator repair I instantly thought of project Binky, "Hey, they also use CAD (Cardboard aided design)"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alighieri posted:

When I saw the huge cardboard template on the Diesel Generator repair I instantly thought of project Binky, "Hey, they also use CAD (Cardboard aided design)"

"We've bolted this portable mill to the engine. Now, we need to make sure it's level."

"Come on, make the noise..."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
How do you make sure things are level on a ship?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Take readings over a period of time and average the results. :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Geirskogul posted:

Serious answer, use local reference points within the engine room.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
That's a good question actually - my best guess is that they establish some piece on the ship as the reference point for levelness early in construction, and base it off of that, but I'm curious what the real answer is (other than "they build them on land, dummy")

e: ^^^^^ well there you go

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cakefool posted:

Yeah, was about to post that. You make reference to something you know to be level.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It was a half joke/half real question, and now I'm glad I asked, and feel dumb for not figuring it out earlier.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

quote:

So the neighbor did his own work on his truck. He replaced the brake booster and from what we can figure, he punctured something in the process. He poured brake fluid into the canister while the truck was running and it got sucked up into the block. My boss buys the fluid by the gallon. This guy poured and poured until he seized the engine. He managed to get the full gallon into it.
We found the reason the motor locked up after we pulled it out. Connecting rod broke apart and imbedded itself in the block. Also blew a hole through the other side.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

if nothing else that's certainly original

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I don't understand. With the vacuum line attached to the booster where would you even be able to pour the brake fluid?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gonna go out on a limb and say he poured it in the wrong place

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If the master cylinder was fuckered, maybe a leaking master into the booster, which was also fuckered?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

jamal posted:

I don't understand. With the vacuum line attached to the booster where would you even be able to pour the brake fluid?

Into the engine, duh!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Break fluid

:rimshot:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 9, 2015

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Yeah, was about to post that. You make reference to something you know to be level.

To clarify on something convenient like that block each cylinder will have a number of bolt holes for inspection windows and the like, just pick a bunch that line up from cylinder a to c, crossing the damage in cylinder b.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Impending horrible failure... RIP black jeep's 3.7/4.7 (wasn't sure which)

:cb:

that is the serp belt hanging out underneath. Driver just looked at me funny and tried to get away when I honked and waved. WP is serp belt driven on those motors. Their problem, I tried. Have fun with your HGs, warped heads, and dropped valve seats buddy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

......what the hell.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Here's the story from the Reddit post these pictures came from:

some dude on reddit posted:

So the neighbor did his own work on his truck. He replaced the brake booster and from what we can figure, he punctured something in the process. He poured brake fluid into the canister while the truck was running and it got sucked up into the block. My boss buys the fluid by the gallon. This guy poured and poured until he seized the engine. He managed to get the full gallon into it.

We found the reason the motor locked up after we pulled it out. Connecting rod broke apart and imbedded itself in the block. Also blew a hole through the other side.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

kastein posted:

Impending horrible failure... RIP black jeep's 3.7/4.7 (wasn't sure which)

:cb:

that is the serp belt hanging out underneath. Driver just looked at me funny and tried to get away when I honked and waved. WP is serp belt driven on those motors. Their problem, I tried. Have fun with your HGs, warped heads, and dropped valve seats buddy.

I blame electric power steering. Lord knows he didn't think twice about the bright red "hey your alternator ain't workin'" voltage light.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

I blame electric power steering. Lord knows he didn't think twice about the bright red "hey your alternator ain't workin'" voltage light.

I'm not sure if that has EPS but it might.

I would imagine voltage and temp gauges were freaking out and the alt failure and/or check gauges lamps were on, but who the gently caress pays attention to those?

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Cakefool posted:

I don't think it needs to be level to anything other than the surafce it's attached to. It's not cutting into anything, it's milling the surface smooth after the repair.

And getting it level to the surface should be quite easy, given what it is and what it's for.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EightBit posted:

Here's the story from the Reddit post these pictures came from:

Already in my original post bro

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geirskogul posted:

quote:

I still can't wrap my head around where he poured the brake fluid. You'd have to have a hell of a leak in the MC to the booster, then a tear in the booster diaphragm, if the fluid was coming from the MC. How much you want to bet he filled the booster with fluid through the check valve hole, then plugged the hose back in? Only thing I can think of.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Was it flowing through the vacuum assist line into the crankcase? All I got.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I have hosed up my share of repairs, but I've never managed to kill a motor with a bad brake job. That's some next level poo poo right there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Funzo posted:

I have hosed up my share of repairs, but I've never managed to kill a motor with a bad brake job. That's some next level poo poo right there.

Its the future of gently caress ups.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Darchangel posted:

I still can't wrap my head around where he poured the brake fluid. You'd have to have a hell of a leak in the MC to the booster, then a tear in the booster diaphragm, if the fluid was coming from the MC. How much you want to bet he filled the booster with fluid through the check valve hole, then plugged the hose back in? Only thing I can think of.

As :psyduck: as it is, that's the only explanation I've been able to come up with that makes sense.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Was it flowing through the vacuum assist line into the crankcase? All I got.

Surely if it was, it would be getting burnt up inside the engine rather than entering the crankcase.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Maybe he did it with the engine off? Like, he knows how to seafoam a vehicle, but that's all he knows, so he filled it through the vacuum booster line right into the intake?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Maybe he did it with the engine off? Like, he knows how to seafoam a vehicle, but that's all he knows, so he filled it through the vacuum booster line right into the intake?

How would that get into the crank case though? Through an open valve and then past the rings?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

How would that get into the crank case though? Through an open valve and then past the rings?

It didn't get in the crankcase, where are you getting that from? It got sucked into the intake/combustion chambers where it then hydrolocked the engine, causing a rod to break free and try to see the world.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!
I would guess that he somehow allowed the master cylinder pushrod to move too much (Passing the seals and either damaging or unseating them completely) and then just filled the fluid up and it leaked directly from the master pushrod opening into the booster body, into the vacuum supply line and into the inlet manifold.

The master's pushrod is pushed by a rod that attaches to the diaphragm and then the pedal, so the opening the master fits into in the booster body is the same chamber that the vacuum is present in, which is why it could go: master - booster - vacuum line - inlet manifold - throttle body.

Impressive!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

From the pictures it seems like it got into a cylinder and caused the rod to break as it tried to compress a gallon of brake fluid? At least that would cause the damage and the picture with the brake fluid pouring out of the intake, but no idea what the gently caress he could have done to get it in there. (I'm p. dumb when it comes to vacuum lines and the like though, so I'm probably entirely wrong)

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 9, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Maybe he poured it directly into the booster?

quote:

He poured brake fluid into the canister while the truck was running and it got sucked up into the block. My boss buys the fluid by the gallon. This guy poured and poured until he seized the engine. He managed to get the full gallon into it.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

kastein posted:

I would imagine voltage and temp gauges were freaking out and the alt failure and/or check gauges lamps were on, but who the gently caress pays attention to those?

my brother doesn't

he was heading home one night. said he felt a 'thud' from up front, all the lights on the dash lit up and the steering got real hard

did he pull over and shut down? gently caress no.

home is 1000' up a winding mountain road

he made it to ~800' before it died.

he was lucky in that it blew the rad instead of the HG.

he borrowed my dads beater Jimmy for a week once and ayyy lmao yoohoo milkshake in the rad and oil in the coolant overflow tank.

I don't let him borrow my cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Maybe he poured it directly into the booster?

Yeah it sounds like somehow he managed to find a way past the one-way valve in the brake booster hose and directly pour brake fluid into the valve cover.