Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

A White Guy posted:

Austria not being the emperor honestly makes things a lot easier now. Usually the emperorship ends up with Bohemia (who then gets brutalized by either an Austria+Poland wombo-combo or an Austria-France-Hungary triple alliance), or some other craptastic HRE minor like Hesse. I've seen Brandenburg get the emperorship maybe once in 5+ games so far.

It's gotten so stupid that I've seen Leon get elected emperor, and there was even an elector voting for a westernized converted Catholic native in South America. The HRE is a mess right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Node posted:

It's gotten so stupid that I've seen Leon get elected emperor, and there was even an elector voting for a westernized converted Catholic native in South America. The HRE is a mess right now.

There just aren't enough contextual cues in the voting system right now. Realistically, electors should vote based on geopolitics to some degree - who has a lot of AE with the HRE? Anyone who rivals that country should get a +rating to being the Emperor. This would mean that countries that aren't capable of rivalling France, Commonwealth, or Sweden are less likely to make it (e.g. small countries). Emperor AI should also prioritize rivalling countries that threaten the HRE.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Is the 'Extended Timeline' mod actually fun/playable/not an insane buggy mess?

Seems like it might be entertaining to screw around with, but if it's a barely functioning mod that crashes every 20 minutes I don't want to waste my time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Also, guys, a reminder that the Random Map Generator is a fun change of pace!

Got a pretty cool map going, about 1514.

I'm the dark green country at the top of 'Europe', and the white country beneath me is my vassal - soon to be annexed (it's mostly crappy desert).

The only serious issue I've noticed is that the Protestant Reformation did not create reformation centers, so there are just three Protestant provinces and the religion isn't spreading. I'm going to manually insert them into my save tomorrow night for my next play session, but something to be aware of.

EDIT: Oh, double post.

Also, the other thing I've noticed is the random maps emphasize the rigidity of the trade system. I'm an end node, but I'll never get trade home from my little colonies to the north west, because trade only flow in from Africa(?) to my south east. Not much to do there except hope maybe they try a slightly more dynamic system in EU5.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

So after playing a bit of vanilla at release and then shelving this game, I've decided to jump back in and just bought all the expansions in the Humble Bundle sale.

Any recommendations for countries to play as, to get the most out of all the new changes? I know after so many expansions it's probably an entirely different game so probably anything would work, but still...

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Is there any way to make a colony stop being stupid about the "Relative Power to ___" calculation in ironman? Somehow Spanish Brazil thinks that their 7 army units and 4 boats are 101% the power of my 62 units and 80 boats, and it's made their liberty desire jump from ~30% up to 75%.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So after playing a bit of vanilla at release and then shelving this game, I've decided to jump back in and just bought all the expansions in the Humble Bundle sale.

Any recommendations for countries to play as, to get the most out of all the new changes? I know after so many expansions it's probably an entirely different game so probably anything would work, but still...
People generally recommend the big countries in or near Europe: France if you want a continental thunderdome, England if you want to rule the waves (abandon the continent), Spain if you want to be involved in Continental politics and colonize, Portugal if you want to just colonize, Austria if you want to HRE it up, Poland if you want a rollercoaster government type and a huge vassal, Muscovy if you want to conquer a lot of land and colonize Siberia, Ottomans if you want to crush everyone and everything. I'd personally say wait till your second or third game to play as France, England, anyone in the HRE, or Poland.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Sweden gets some awesome events. This game is probably hosed since its almost 1500 and Denmark, Norway, and Novgorod are all still independent states. Meanwhile Muscovy is kicking the horde's asses and has twice my force limits. Going to see if I can't turn it around though since I got this sweet event so early.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
in 400 hours of EU4 I've never gone above 100% OE before, having avoided it religiously due to the horror stories some people have posted here. But I'm curious if incurring 143% OE might be worth it since I could take everything I need in one war rather than having to fight a second awful bloody 120K to 0 manpower war. is that much OE going to wreck my country?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

It will at the very least be a soul-grinding slog to fight through. Being over 100% OE triggers events which spawn multiple huge armies of rebels all over your country and drastically increase revolt chance in multiple provinces at once, and the events fire very quickly. Taking 143% of OE in a single peace deal will mean you're dealing with that for 3 years. I wouldn't risk it.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
You're probably right. If this wasn't an ironman save I would have said 'gently caress it' and done it just to see what happens. But there's just no way I'm loving up this Prussia save when I'm only two provinces from forming Germany.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Yeah I've accidentally gone to 102% OE and it wrecked my country for a decade. It is never worth it.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

in 400 hours of EU4 I've never gone above 100% OE before, having avoided it religiously due to the horror stories some people have posted here. But I'm curious if incurring 143% OE might be worth it since I could take everything I need in one war rather than having to fight a second awful bloody 120K to 0 manpower war. is that much OE going to wreck my country?

100% OE is fine. 101% OE will give you cancer.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Roadie posted:

Is there any way to make a colony stop being stupid about the "Relative Power to ___" calculation in ironman? Somehow Spanish Brazil thinks that their 7 army units and 4 boats are 101% the power of my 62 units and 80 boats, and it's made their liberty desire jump from ~30% up to 75%.

They are your only vassal? It takes into account all of your vassals.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

It's very rarely worth it to go over 100% OE. If you do, the huge amount of rebels that will spawn will eat your manpower for breakfast. Get a +3 to National Unrest adviser, and be at +3 stability if you want to do it. Otherwise, feed the excess to a vassal or wait ten years and fight another war. Though it may be tempting to hand whomever you're fighting a knockout blow, it's very rarely possible in one war.

Real shame too. EUIV isn't like EU3 in that one war won't destroy most nations. In EU3, one soul grinding war with the Ottomans was usually enough to put them to bed forever, but in EUIV, you have to repeat the event at least two or three times.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

You're probably right. If this wasn't an ironman save I would have said 'gently caress it' and done it just to see what happens. But there's just no way I'm loving up this Prussia save when I'm only two provinces from forming Germany.

Fighting that war again will be way less taxing than hitting 140% OE. 101% is rough. 140% is awful.

No vassals you can foist a single province on?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Node posted:

This happened to me once as the Inca, way back shortly after release. Unfortunately I can't seem to find my screenshot of Emperor Tupac I.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

This happened to me once as the Inca, way back shortly after release. Unfortunately I can't seem to find my screenshot of Emperor Tupac I.

Hopefully Emperor Sapa Inca I Tupac dropped some mad beats during his reign of the Holy Roman Empire.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's hosed up in my opinion that Paradox hates fun and destroyed the hilarious possibility of Kongo or Japan ending up the only possible emperors in MP games. Would be cool if you could mod it so non-European states can get cardinals if there's not enough Catholics in Europe to support the maximum number of cardinals. Or if there's no Catholic states in Europe willing to accept the Holy See, they'll ask overseas nations too. It can probably be modded though so whatever.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 9, 2015

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Tsyni posted:

They are your only vassal? It takes into account all of your vassals.

I've had it where 2/3 vassals have a normal relative power and then one has a crazy 100% stronger than my army modifier which jumps their liberty desire up, and only theirs.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Odobenidae posted:

I've had it where 2/3 vassals have a normal relative power and then one has a crazy 100% stronger than my army modifier which jumps their liberty desire up, and only theirs.

It's because they get support for independence. Interface should probably be clearer there.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
In an attempt to move Granada to the new world, I conquered Tlemcen, and started colonizing the Caribbean. Once I have four colonies, I released a vassal and isolated my capital, so no other provinces are adjacent to it. However when I try to move my capital to Peurto Rico it says I can't when I have a capital with a heartland around it. Does that vassal count as a heartland and preventing me from moving my capital?

Or is it because I have Arguin colonized, that tiny pocket on the western coast of Africa? This is going to ruin my run. I can't sell it to anybody. gently caress me.

Node fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 9, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I just finished The White Elephant and I am wondering if Buddhism is like the worst religion unless you want to play world police. The whole Karma system is so punishing it forces you to start punitive wars to release cores/nations or cheese the whole thing with nations like Malacca.
The way I did it was keep Malacca alive and every time the truce run out I declared on them and forced them to release the other nation with cores on it, so those 6 provinces went from Malacca to Johor and back for 200 years or whoever long it took me to get the other provinces for the achievement.

I know you can return cores and release nations without diplo point cost as Buddhist nation but are there any other advantages to it that I just missed?

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My Bengal Tiger run now. It's 1553. Right after I made my last post, Delhi went to war with Vijayangar, and Orissa joined in. The punishing conflict between the two allowed me to sneak in a DOW on just Orissa + Garjat, so I was able to eat them. I also made sure to finish off Mong Yang and to attack Pegu for its sweet, sweet trade provinces. Then, I attacked Ava, and gave Hsewni back its cores, plus added a few of my own.

Eventually, I noticed that Delhi and Yarkand had fallen waaaay behind me in terms of Miltech (like 3 levels). I was ramping up to go to war with Delhi when, in a stroke of very good fortune, Delhi unrivalled me and rivaled Yarkand. Plus, I was able to get an alliance with the Timurids, and I managed to catch them in a lucky spot when they weren't in the middle of civil collapse. The ensuing war between myself, my vassal swarm, and the Timurids against Delhi, Sind, Kashmir, and Qara Qonylu (who had just gotten wrecked by the Ottomans) was an anti-climax. I completely stack wiped Delhi three or four times, and Timurids easily handled Sind in Afghanistan. I easily sieged down Delhi, made all their allies pay me for my trouble, and then took the juicy valley provinces off of them. I'm now the master of India, the only threat left to me being the impending arrival of Portugal (who's working their way down to the cape). I think next I'll destroy Vijayanagar and their vassal swarm and wait for the Portuguese to DOW me so I can westernize.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Did something change about Savoy's missions? I did a savoy playthrough a long time ago and the first mission was consistently to conquer Draguignan from Provence (the bordering province), but I haven't seen that mission in my current playthrough. Did it get removed?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Node posted:

In an attempt to move Granada to the new world, I conquered Tlemcen, and started colonizing the Caribbean. Once I have four colonies, I released a vassal and isolated my capital, so no other provinces are adjacent to it. However when I try to move my capital to Peurto Rico it says I can't when I have a capital with a heartland around it. Does that vassal count as a heartland and preventing me from moving my capital?

Or is it because I have Arguin colonized, that tiny pocket on the western coast of Africa? This is going to ruin my run. I can't sell it to anybody. gently caress me.

But Puerto Rico is isolated too, why should you be able to move there if there are other, more connected places? Try to move it to somewhere else where there are two adjacent provinces or lose your capital in a war so you're moved there automatically.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Pyromancer posted:

But Puerto Rico is isolated too, why should you be able to move there if there are other, more connected places? Try to move it to somewhere else where there are two adjacent provinces or lose your capital in a war so you're moved there automatically.

It was because I had two provinces in Africa, even though they weren't connected. I declared a suicide war, gave one of them away (and half of Morocco's lands :laugh:,) and I could move to the Caribbean after that.

Deport The Irish
Nov 25, 2013
So when you make a client state, you get the option to select a monarchy or a republic, but the specific type. Is there a certain criteria to determine the specific type, or more specifically, can I release client states as Revolutionary Republics? I wanna do a gimmick run where Europe's nobility all see Madame la Guillotine in person.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Man that humble store sale was pretty crazy, I got all of the DLC except for 3 music packs or so for like 17 euros total :toot:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

You've already got a lot of good responses, but going over 100% OE for any significant length of time is really nasty. 143% OE is going to give you something like 7 RR nation-wide plus a bunch of lovely events every few months and doubled rebel progress.

It's fine to go over 100% for a couple months in order to release vassals but you absolutely do not want to be over 100% for years coring away your OE.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
In time, historians would refer to the great war of 1636 as the war of letters

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Rename your generically named armies. Having "1st Army" or "1st Fleet" is bannable on these forums.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I don't rename my armies specifically so I can annex people and get two or three separate 1st Armies running around.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
You haven't Ottomans'd until you have a Gwynedd Ordosu and a Beijing Ordosu at the same time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
Alright, gently caress this achievement. The Re-Reconquista is impossible with this version of EU4. God loving damnit.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Wait, until the death of who?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I just got into a crazy war with Muscovy. I annexed Novgorod while they were at war with Muscovy because I forgot that makes you inherit the war now instead of ending it. I had an army less than half of Muscovies size, so I panicked a little bit and threw Poland an alliance offer. Somehow they were more eager to be my ally after I got in a war with Muscovy then before so I was able to call-to-arms both them and Austria. Poland and Lithuania both brought 25 stacks (the same size as Muscovy's main army) to the war and Austria rolled in with a 30 stack. I was super excited that an unwinnable war had turned into a curb-stomp!

So of course the AI nations did almost nothing. Poland and Co started sieging down Pskov. They even fought off one assault my Muscovy's armies, but the second time Muscovie rolled in, they white peaced out leaving my token force holding the bag. Somehow my other allies and the dribs and drabs I scrapped up managed to do enough damage to drop their horse-heavy army under the ratio and rout them. Meanwhile, Austria was wandering around, pushing back their terra-incognito instead of doing any fighting at all with their 30 stack. Fortunately the Golden Horde was fooled by the useless AIs into thinking Muscovy was losing the war and jumped in, effectively distracting Muscovy long enough for me to get out of the war with my skin mostly intact. It was both frustrating and impressive how the AI acted the same way a player does - avoiding wars and sieges while "totally helping guys".

Potooweet posted:

Wait, until the death of who?

Whelp. Go ahead and take it. It might be a century before your legitimacy gets back up, but a nice permanent boost is probably worth it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am playing as Portugal. I want to convert to Protestantism once Catholism breaks. It is 1480, I have two colonists and two colonies in the Americas. Will it be a disaster if I have a bunch of Catholic Colonial Nations? Should I try to focus on colonizing the African coast or something so I can convert it later?

edit: Portugal is OP if you ally Aragon, France, and England:

Leon and Grenada are my vassals.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Bort Bortles posted:

I am playing as Portugal. I want to convert to Protestantism once Catholism breaks. It is 1480, I have two colonists and two colonies in the Americas. Will it be a disaster if I have a bunch of Catholic Colonial Nations?

Nah won't really affect much unless you were planning to try and pump up their tariffs, which doesn't have a good payoff. Or if you really needed to paint the New World with your religion.

I guess they might be slightly more rebellious ~1700 when all the colonial nations get cranky, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter much.

Edit: I mean you'll get the relations penalty for being a non-neighboring heretic, which is worth a handful of points of liberty desire. Just refuse the tariff increase events and improve relations if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I can't decide whether to take Economic first, or Exploration first as Mutapa. The inflation will crush me if I don't go economic first, but i'm not confident enough to think that the euros will ignore africa. I've had very bad luck with the iberians in previous africa games.

• Locked thread