Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So now at 60 how long would it take to grind out a Zeta? I realize there's virtually no point but I really like how it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I like that boss as a DPS because my entire job becomes dancing the Manderville for extended periods of time.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Thumbtacks posted:

So now at 60 how long would it take to grind out a Zeta? I realize there's virtually no point but I really like how it looks.

Books, Light, and Dungeon Atma will still take quite a lot of time to deal with even after nerfs. The rest of the steps are pretty trivial to burn through now though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use them for a ton of stuff, but I also click about half my buttons with my mousepointer.
Same here, only make that 3/4ths of my buttons.

The 2.5 second GCD makes it really easy, the only complicated thing my hand has to do is shift+1-5 for Mudras/other semi-rare actions.

Plus it makes sense. 1-5/6 for hand pressing while still being able to move, 6/7-10 for clicking along with buffs and rare moves and such.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
:captainpop:

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

SirPhoebos posted:

Why can no one remember how to do the slime boss in coperbell mines??? :psyduck:

i'm fairly certain there are a lot of people on console who accidentally close the chat window or something and never bring it back

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them
As DPS I once got yelled at by both Tank and Healer for "not doing enough damage" to the slime boss, and also yelled at for not "killing the bomb adds".

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

seiferguy posted:

5: While some of the best guilds in the world use STR tanks for progression, do you really think that even a fraction of those who mimic them are close to their level of skill?

5: No. (I am drat good at what I do. I am however human, and prone to the occasional albeit rare mistake. All STR tanks I have seen have been laughable pathetic mouthbreathing idiots at best. You should #gitabetterPRdepartment)

Cutting edge progression groups almost always have their tanks in melded accessories until the content becomes farm status. You absolutely need tanks to have as much STR as possible, without sacrificing much VIT. After it's on farm, well. Then it's a matter of determining what you can get away with, I currently tank the first three floors of savage in STR accessories and VIT assignment. I could probably get away with both STR accessories and STR assignment but then I'd need to turn on Defiance semi-permanently and that's a DPS loss.

This is a somewhat extravagant but not unheard of example of what a progression tank's melded accessories look like (should have more accuracy on it but w/e):

e: As for your other questions, it's good that tanks cant roll on VIT accessories despite the fact that it may give the wrong impression to inexperienced tanks in the duty finder. New players may think "all tanks want max VIT" because they're assigned need rolls only for VIT accessories, but that's okay. You can hold threat even in full VIT. It's effortful and requires the occasional TP break between pulls even for WAR but it's fully possible. It is still a good thing that new tanks are encouraged to take VIT gear despite this because FFXIV is very much a game about expecting you to grow as a player, the vast majority of new players to FFXIV have never touched another MMO before and mastery of concepts such as tank DPS optimization, or HP optimization, is not something that should be expected or required of new players, or of players in casual content.

That said, in progression content, you should be doing two things as a tank: 1) maximizing cooldown efficiency and preparing your gearset before the fight to ensure that you have enough HP and accuracy; 2) maximizing DPS.

You cannot maximize DPS as a tank without increasing your STR.

SpaceGoku fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 9, 2015

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

Why can no one remember how to do the slime boss in coperbell mines??? :psyduck:

For all the poo poo I give Tam-Tara and Totorak in fc chat I'll still take them over Copperbell because of this. I'll take consistent but slow over rolling the pubbie rng that the group knows how to handle that boss.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Holy crap that's a lot of vit4s, how many were sacrificed to the rng gods?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Less than 100 but the real cost was using every Strength III available on Excalibur at the time and having to resort to Strength IVs to finish the VIT ring.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Sentient Data posted:

Putting 5 rank IV materia on a jewelry piece has a mean of 45-46 materia used per piece.

EDIT: Silly me. I am assuming the stated % chance per meld is accurate.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Kaedric posted:

Putting 5 rank IV materia on a jewelry piece has a mean of 45-46 materia used per piece.

EDIT: Silly me. I am assuming the stated % chance per meld is accurate.

It is accurate. You will, however, get streaks. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I used all of the Strength IIIs on Excalibur for the last slot in the VIT ring. I stopped counting after 100 but I cleared the entire market board, bought some from friends, had some given to me by friends, and eventually ran out of connections to find additional sources and switched to Strength IVs.

Then after three attempts the Strength IV went in.

:xcom:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Today I got a dark knight in EXDR who vehemently refused to turn on Darkside, even when I tried explaining to him that he should always have it on. Why is this a thing?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

because changing what they know is not something they want to do, duh

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

Today I got a dark knight in EXDR who vehemently refused to turn on Darkside, even when I tried explaining to him that he should always have it on. Why is this a thing?

I ran into one who said she didn't use it because she was constantly OOMing with it. In retrospect I wish I'd asked her whether she was just not using Syphon Strike or what.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

vOv posted:

I ran into one who said she didn't use it because she was constantly OOMing with it. In retrospect I wish I'd asked her whether she was just not using Syphon Strike or what.

To be fair, not OOMing with it on is some kind of Advanced poo poo and careful cooldown management, as well as knowing the patterns and when you'll be tanking poo poo or a lot of poo poo or what in all content. While yeah, people leveling DRK should learn that stuff, I'm generally OK with that they haven't while they're levelling it.

It took me some experimenting to get it down, and I know all the levelling content extremely well and already main a tank, it seems perfectly normal reaction to the game's (rather harsh) punishment of a newer DRK that goes OOM and can't hold threat all of the sudden and everything sucks to just go "gently caress Darkside." And until they get some of the fundamentals down a bit better, maybe they should.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 9, 2015

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Scrublord Prime posted:

For all the poo poo I give Tam-Tara and Totorak in fc chat I'll still take them over Copperbell because of this. I'll take consistent but slow over rolling the pubbie rng that the group knows how to handle that boss.

Everytime I get someone who keeps killing the bombs it's always an archer who also pulls every group. They don't listen when we ask them to cut it out so I just dismiss my fairy and let them die :getin:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Boten Anna posted:

To be fair, not OOMing with it on is some kind of Advanced poo poo and careful cooldown management, as well as knowing the patterns and when you'll be tanking poo poo or a lot of poo poo or what in all content. While yeah, people leveling DRK should learn that stuff, I'm generally OK with that they haven't while they're levelling it.

It took me some experimenting to get it down, and I know all the levelling content extremely well and already main a tank, it seems perfectly normal reaction to the game's (rather harsh) punishment of a newer DRK that goes OOM and can't hold threat all of the sudden and everything sucks to just go "gently caress Darkside." And until they get some of the fundamentals down a bit better, maybe they should.

This was in EXDR.

I have DRK at 54 and while I do OOM occasionally with Darkside on, I'm getting better at it and I don't think I've ever lost threat due to it.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Just face it. Yoshi P has no FFXI experience and people that know Tanaka in social media already know the two of them don't get along and due to Yoshi Ps pride there is no chance on earth he will use any of Tanakas idea or go to FFXI for inspiriation. He will instead continue to milk WoW/GW2/DAoC and milk that to the last drop and ruin the game completly before taking a path that actually will cater to both sides.

I'm only writing this because I now have it confirmed from 2 people that have spoken to Tanaka on social media and got most of it confirmed about the history of why he left. Something unique got turned into a WoW in FF disguise no matter what all White Knights say now its whatever. We have it from the horses mouth and there is no need to take this discussion further with the whole namecalling and throwing stuff back and forth. Yoshi P just needs to admit and say he wanted to create an MMORPG he wanted to play since he wanted a combo of WoW and DAoC not what you guys wanted to play

Anything close to even listening to the players is overruled since clearly nothing we say makes any sense since they are already termined on a path to go and its a very ugly path that will damage the game and the brand long term

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Fister Roboto posted:

I keep getting DRGs that never use a 50+ ability and BLMs that only use Ley Lines. Thankfully only in EXDR, I haven't seen that many bads in Alexander, aside from a BRD that was maybe topping 400 in A3 and kept talking about how the other healer and I were carrying the group. That was interesting.

Technogeek posted:

Anything close to even listening to the players is overruled since clearly nothing we say makes any sense since they are already termined on a path to go and its a very ugly path that will damage the game and the brand long term

:laffo:

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

Advanced poo poo?

One time enmity combo

repeat mana/health regen/damage combo till encounter over.

Someone else looks dangerously close to grabbing focus? switch back once. DRK's enmity generation is off the chain.

That's it.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

See, I would have picked out "people that have spoken to Tanaka on social media" for that response.

Well, that or :dogbutton:.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Technogeek posted:

See, I would have picked out "people that have spoken to Tanaka on social media" for that response.

Well, that or :dogbutton:.

Well, it was all pretty good but mostly I was remembering that 1.0 was aborted in part because it was poisoning the FF brand quite a bit (alongside XIII), so to read that just kinda tipped the scale for me.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Both deserve it but its specially weird after going through The Rising's dev room. How can people have such wrong opinions?

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

So, I've had some fun pvp matches recently.

This one happened a day or two ago and still makes me laugh.

And this match happened earlier today.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

What's the key to getting into PvP matches? My DR Frontlines went an hour without popping, and people mentioned they had gone three hours without a pop. PLD Flame on Aether. Do you have to queue with a premade?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Klungar posted:

What's the key to getting into PvP matches? My DR Frontlines went an hour without popping, and people mentioned they had gone three hours without a pop. PLD Flame on Aether. Do you have to queue with a premade?

Queue with only english language selected, and re-queue if your queue goes over 40min or so. Sometimes your queue will sink itself into nothingness.

bleuraindrops
Jun 22, 2011

Thumbtacks posted:

Light farming is imo the slowest part because HW content and unsynced stuff doesn't count towards it and people don't really run ARR content. The other stuff will be pretty quick actually, even dungeon atma because not only have they bumped up the drop rate, you can run those unsynced (but RNG is RNG so who knows)

Klungar posted:

Flames has the longest queue on aether but even an hour is usual. Your class doesn't matter. Are you lv60? The lv50 frontlines has a longer queue than the lv60 (Seize) one so unless you're doing your FL roulette, only queue for Seize in English.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

SpaceGoku posted:

It is accurate. You will, however, get streaks. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I used all of the Strength IIIs on Excalibur for the last slot in the VIT ring. I stopped counting after 100 but I cleared the entire market board, bought some from friends, had some given to me by friends, and eventually ran out of connections to find additional sources and switched to Strength IVs.

Then after three attempts the Strength IV went in.

:xcom:

It took me 74 melds to hit a 12% chance once, so I know the feeling.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I only did three grade 4s on my accessories, the fourth slot was grade 3. I figured I can live without 5 vitality. I didn't bother to count how many attempts I made, but the total cost was less than 3 million so I guess I got lucky. Of course the next day, the cost of grade 4 vits dropped by like 25%.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kaedric posted:

It took me 74 melds to hit a 12% chance once, so I know the feeling.

I spent about 80 on a 7% chance.

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
I also only did 3 grade iv and one grade 3 for vit. It's only 5 vit and reduces the cost significantly, it's not really missed since it's just vit but you can't do the same if you are melding strength.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I don't know why I thought this was a good idea.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fishious posted:

I also only did 3 grade iv and one grade 3 for vit. It's only 5 vit and reduces the cost significantly, it's not really missed since it's just vit but you can't do the same if you are melding strength.

I hope they nerf melding for the progression raider. Let's see how much longer bosses stay up because of it. Pretty dumb design when you don't use the gear dropped off the boss you're killing.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I just hit sch 60 like, maybe two hours ago

I highly recommend the first thing you do after setting up your gear is A4. It's way more exciting that way.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

I hope they nerf melding for the progression raider. Let's see how much longer bosses stay up because of it. Pretty dumb design when you don't use the gear dropped off the boss you're killing.

They already did nerf it, considering that there's a 60 ilevel difference between crafted and eso/gordian jewelry. In ARR the gap was never more than 20.

Also you need to beat the boss to use the gear that it drops. Melded jewelry is what you use to get to that point.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Holyshoot posted:

Why shouldn't crafted gear be good and useful?

I'm totally fine with high end crafted gear being more optimal in some places because otherwise what's the point of the crafting classes?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You don't need melded jewelry for at least up to 4 anymore. Dunno if people have beaten 4 without it but all the others have so who cares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

more like dICK posted:

AST is a viable replacement for either healer. Dual AST is pretty good as well. Nocturnal Sect is ridiculously good in pvp.

Celestial Opposition is still only useful for extending buffs, but the cool down is short enough that you can use it more often. Collective Unconscious and Synastry are both incredibly good now.

Basically enjoy the class with the prettiest gear and spells.

Brilliant. Now it means my three highest-leveled jobs will be healers :shobon:

• Locked thread