Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There were people saying it was blocked when I was there, but I was using it every day from late 2013 to August 2014 with no issues. I was in Beijing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I set up a dropbox for a student library around October and discovered it was blocked a little bit later, since I'm always on a VPN and have no idea.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I hadn't used a proper VPN since 2012. I'm guessing it's a local, intermittent, or targeted thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The internet disagrees. https://en.greatfire.org/dropbox.com

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The dude's going to Hong Kong though. He won't need a VPN

Re: dropbox though, no. I haven't been able to use it in Guangzhou without a VPN.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

VideoTapir posted:

When did Dropbox get blocked? It still worked when I left last year.

It's been intermittently blocked for years, but at least for the last year it's been 100% worthless in Chengdu at least.

There are certain places I know in Shanghai and BJ where it's under laxer control. There was talk about an SEZ in SH where everything from FB to Twitter (probably not google) would be accessible but I don't know if that ever took off. AFAIK dropbox is totally blocked in the whole country, I keep meeting people who have everything break since so many apps use it to sync.

Moneyball posted:

Hurrah...

Best way to get from Beijing to Qingdao? Flight or bus?

A bus would probably take >12 hours or something crazy, they're like 500 miles apart.

A Train would be a better bet, the quickest one of those from Beijing is about 4.5 hours. You should use an app/site like Ctrip to buy the ticket in advance, but you can't buy them more than 13 days in advance. Also you'll have to go wait in a line to pick them up at the train station since the kiosks don't know how to handle anything but Chinese ID cards.

e: schedule of trains from BJ to QD
http://www.chinatrainguide.com/beijing-railway-station/to-qingdao.html

Also Qingdao owns and is my #2 favorite place in China but I have not been there since the Zibo explosion and oil spill so maybe it is now a mad max wasteland.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

If they're separate bookings, you'll need to rebook the China leg. You can ask for advice in the TT cheap airfare thread, but non-partnered airlines don't give a gently caress about schedule changes outside their own network.

Third-party sites like Expedia also don't really care.

Also on this, China Southern and Delta are partnered airlines, so you might be able to get this fixed if you reach out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Everything has to be under the same flight itinerary - so exact booking number for guaranteed transfer in the events of delays or other events

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I don't know what to say. I was able to use it without a VPN for almost a year, with no difficulty whatsoever.

I wasn't far from the universities in Haidian, though; maybe things were a little looser for services used in academia in that area.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

A Train would be a better bet, the quickest one of those from Beijing is about 4.5 hours. You should use an app/site like Ctrip to buy the ticket in advance, but you can't buy them more than 13 days in advance. Also you'll have to go wait in a line to pick them up at the train station since the kiosks don't know how to handle anything but Chinese ID cards.

e: schedule of trains from BJ to QD
http://www.chinatrainguide.com/beijing-railway-station/to-qingdao.html
Actually, you can book train tickets one or two months in advance now, and the machines in Guangzhou did recognise my Dutch passport.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeoh posted:

Actually, you can book train tickets one or two months in advance now, and the machines in Guangzhou did recognise my Dutch passport.

Guangzhou is amazing. I've not had that luck anywhere. Also I was unable to buy tickets that far in advance recently when my family came, I had to wait until 2 weeks before.

Also: http://www.wsj.com/articles/google-negotiates-a-return-to-china-1441408051

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Been in shanghai about a week and a half so far. City got a lot better in minor things. I didn't get a chance to visit much though last time I was here (and I'll be here for a while this time).

Any must see spots either inside or nearby? I have nightlife covered already so more interested in daytime things, especially with better weather coming up soon.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
72 hour visa confirmation:

Flying from Kathmandu to Kunming to Shanghai, with a 14 hour layover in Shanghai before flying to Los Angeles. A US passport traveler would not qualify for the 72 hour visa in Shanghai due to having a domestic leg from Kunming to Shanghai in the itinerary. Correct?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294211-c188665/China:Visa.Free.Transits.html

It sounds like you're ok for the 24 hour depending on your flight schedule, but not the 72 hour.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

aeglus posted:

Any must see spots either inside or nearby? I have nightlife covered already so more interested in daytime things, especially with better weather coming up soon.

Some places I recommend:

The China Art Museum: huge-rear end museum full of Chinese art, with an emphasis on 20th century art and artists. Highlights are the propaganda art section and the Chinese animation section. Hosted in the China pavillion from the Shanghai Expo. Really is huge so don't expect to do it in a day.

Red Town: art area. Used to be a lot better, but a lot of the galleries have now closed down. Still has the sculpture space, which is worth checking out, and the Minsheng Gallery which is the best gallery in Shanghai in my opinion.

The Powerstation of Art: never been but heard good things about it.

The Propaganda Poster Museum: as above, never been but heard good things.

Qibao: largely faked but nonetheless pleasant old water town area just west of the city centre. There's a museum to a local artist who worked with Herge (of Tintin fame) that's worth checking out.

Jiading: water town in the northern suburbs (reachable on metro line 11). Check out the Confucian Temple, in particular the Imperial Exam museum which is fascinating.

Jiangwan Town: this was going to be the Guomingdang's new centre of Shanghai, away from the foreign-controlled areas. They built the roads, a town hall, museum, library, airforce academy and the largest stadium in Asia... and then the Japanese invaded and derailed everything. The buildings are still there though, the stadium is still in use, the town hall is now the admin building for Shanghai Sports University and the museum is the radiology department of a local hospital. It's a fairly unique example of Chinese Nationalist architecture.

That's far from an exhaustive list, if you have any specific requests let me know and I may be able to recommend something.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I like to add the Chinese Tobacco museum. A bit propagandic but interesting photos about early tobacco industry in China.

Then there's the Jewish refugee museum, where I bought a comic book called a Jewish girl in Shanghai.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Nice, thanks for the spots. Definitely interested in seeing propaganda art and some peaceful areas nearby the city.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Have any of you guys used the China Mobile international package abroad? We got a new China Mobile phone and SIM card with their international package before we left 3 months ago, and it had been working fine. We had to call to renew the package, but it's been about 24 hours since the worker reactivated the package and the phone still won't pick up the network. We've tried the SIM in other phones too, and it still won't pick it up. Ideas?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
So my China trip is not going so well, but I still have my kidneys.

I am now alone in Lijiang in the traditional village part, I have a couple hundred in cash, my passport, and all my cards.

The family who owns the hotel I'm in was hospitable enough to serve me lunch with a good amount of beer, buy me cokes and waters, spent a lot of time to help me plan getting back to Qingdao, and later wants to take me to a bar. Is this a set up to clean me out?

I am one day away from getting back to Qingdao to hole up in a hotel until my flight and I don't want anything else to go wrong. I think it would be a good idea to decline.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 9, 2015

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Go but only bring a limited amount of cash if you're really worried. I think they just want the laowai to have a nice night getting crunk.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Anything I don't bring will be in my room, which they have access to.

I really don't mean to be all :tinfoil: but I'm just concerned. There's also the taxi to the airport in the morning they have arranged that costs half the price I expected. Driven out to nowhere and robbed? :tinfoil:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
(028) 8558-3992

or after hours

(010) 8531-4000

Memorize these numbers. They're the American Citizen Services line for the US Consulate in Chengdu. If you get screwed, call them and they'll help you get back to America.

Unless you're not American. Then forget about it, fuzzy foreigner.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Moneyball posted:

So my China trip is not going so well, but I still have my kidneys.

I am now alone in Lijiang in the traditional village part, I have a couple hundred in cash, my passport, and all my cards.

The family who owns the hotel I'm in was hospitable enough to serve me lunch with a good amount of beer, buy me cokes and waters, spent a lot of time to help me plan getting back to Qingdao, and later wants to take me to a bar. Is this a set up to clean me out?

I am one day away from getting back to Qingdao to hole up in a hotel until my flight and I don't want anything else to go wrong. I think it would be a good idea to decline.

Will there be a story post once you're through the mess you're in? Best of luck.

Flight Reschedule: I have 3.5 hours in Beijing from exiting customs and needing to be back 2 hours before my flight back to LAX. I've done Tiananmen (but not Forbidden City), Olympic Village (lol every one is awful), and Summer Palace already. Is Temple of Heaven worth the time? I'd rather not spend 5.5 hours in that airport, even if it is kinda ok.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

(028) 8558-3992

or after hours

(010) 8531-4000

Memorize these numbers. They're the American Citizen Services line for the US Consulate in Chengdu. If you get screwed, call them and they'll help you get back to America.

Unless you're not American. Then forget about it, fuzzy foreigner.

Can I call these guys if my McDonald's delivery is 10 minutes late????

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Blinkman987 posted:

I'd rather not spend 5.5 hours in that airport, even if it is kinda ok.

Yeah get out of the Beijing airport if you know your way around. and try dumplings here

https://goo.gl/maps/dm7YV

宝源 dumplings

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Blinkman987 posted:

Will there be a story post once you're through the mess you're in? Best of luck.

Flight Reschedule: I have 3.5 hours in Beijing from exiting customs and needing to be back 2 hours before my flight back to LAX. I've done Tiananmen (but not Forbidden City), Olympic Village (lol every one is awful), and Summer Palace already. Is Temple of Heaven worth the time? I'd rather not spend 5.5 hours in that airport, even if it is kinda ok.

Sad loawai enticed by pretty Chinese girl (I actually knew her- not some date a chinese girl site), rejected by pretty Chinese girl once in China, laowai trying to go home without losing everything.

It's funny and sad. (The post below me illustrates what happens when I try to sum up in a humorous way.)

E: Now I know that the white guy being into asian girls thing has been run into the ground, especially with the stereotypical goon, but that part of her identity has little to do with why I was in to her. I didn't need to seek out someone in another country, it just seemed like the perfect one happened to be located there.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 9, 2015

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Too bad you didn't set up any connections with another Chinese girl before you got there or you wouldn't have flown to the opposite side of the world and failed to get laid. Now that you're in China the chances of you getting off with a girl are pretty low, you've got to lay the groundwork first, usually weeks if not months of flirting and innuendo (works great in a second language through the internet)

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, this got creepy quick

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
The perfect girl... so near, yet so far... *strokes photo of my perfect Chinese girl*

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Too bad you didn't set up any connections with another Chinese girl before you got there or you wouldn't have flown to the opposite side of the world and failed to get laid. Now that you're in China the chances of you getting off with a girl are pretty low, you've got to lay the groundwork first, usually weeks if not months of flirting and innuendo (works great in a second language through the internet)

Alright, alright, I brought this on myself, posting that on this site and explaining it that way. And you're right to give me poo poo for it.

But there is more to it.

It was her that started to talking to me most of the day, every day, asked if I was single, and invited me to visit. I always wanted to visit here, so I was happy to have a local tour guide. It was only after a while of talking that I thought of her as a good match. Well, we both thought so.
She's going to be moving to Boston in the spring to go to grad school but suggested visiting before then. Getting laid isn't a goal.

If she were another nationality living in China, I imagine this would be a non-issue. But because she is chinese, :siren:

She's a good girl. I like her.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 9, 2015

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
Have you tried getting really drunk, screaming at her then crying? Seems to do the trick for the locals.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Is it a common belief that Chinese people are all out to steal all your poo poo/organs?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Wait what? Do Chinese girls not have sex or something? Have I actually been in Japan this whole time!!!!!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Moneyball, I'm in Tianjin and a decent goon, better person.

If you tell your flight to gently caress off and come to Tianjin I will put you up at a decent place, pay for your meals and we can get drunk and have fun. This is a 100% serious offer. I have like 40 references on couch surfing if you don't believe me, I'll link you if you like.

Sorry about your luck this trip. If you decide to take me up on my kickass offer, let me know. My wife isn't around and I can do whatever I want, and that's cool. If not, safe travels home. (I'm from Boston too) :slick:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Magna Kaser posted:

Can I call these guys if my McDonald's delivery is 10 minutes late????

I guess if that somehow leaves you both destitute and distraught and needing to be repatriated then yeah.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moneyball posted:

Alright, alright, I brought this on myself, posting that on this site and explaining it that way. And you're right to give me poo poo for it.

But there is more to it.

It was her that started to talking to me most of the day, every day, asked if I was single, and invited me to visit. I always wanted to visit here, so I was happy to have a local tour guide. It was only after a while of talking that I thought of her as a good match. Well, we both thought so.
She's going to be moving to Boston in the spring to go to grad school but suggested visiting before then. Getting laid isn't a goal.

If she were another nationality living in China, I imagine this would be a non-issue. But because she is chinese, :siren:

She's a good girl. I like her.

Please tell me more

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

caberham posted:

Please tell me more

Just imagine a good girl. You know, porcelain skin, bound feet...just normal good stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Do go on. :munch:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can't we just leave the guy alone, he flew around the world for a girl that didn't return his feelings. That sucks. I feel like a basic human being who has a shred of empathy or sympathy would recognize that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I've made myself look like enough of an rear end in a top hat for one day. If it makes a difference, I didn't connect her being chinese to being submissive/docile/agreeable, or whatever subservient woman stereotype that I imagine guys with yellow fever are looking for. Her being educated, driven, and more progressive is what appeals to me. I don't want a waifu. Shouldn't be a huge stretch to begin to like someone you talk to every day. This sort of thing happened before- I started to develop feelings for someone (this one was white!) on the other side of the country. But to be fair, I was a stupid 19 year old.

And about not returning my feelings, it's more that she gave me the impression that she was into me and then pulled a 180.

goldboilermark posted:

Moneyball, I'm in Tianjin and a decent goon, better person.

If you tell your flight to gently caress off and come to Tianjin I will put you up at a decent place, pay for your meals and we can get drunk and have fun. This is a 100% serious offer. I have like 40 references on couch surfing if you don't believe me, I'll link you if you like.

Sorry about your luck this trip. If you decide to take me up on my kickass offer, let me know. My wife isn't around and I can do whatever I want, and that's cool. If not, safe travels home. (I'm from Boston too) :slick:

This is tempting. My plan as it is now is to get back to Qingdao and hole up in my hotel until I leave on the 18th. The flight for tomorrow was very expensive, and adding the extra flights should come around to about the same price. I'd probably have a much better time, though.
Maybe I could even call and get my credit card reactivated...

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 9, 2015