Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Get this guy http://www.powerprobe.com/webstore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69 and then there is a yellow one for larger gauge. Awesome little things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

SouthsideSaint posted:

HOLY BALLS. That is a steal. When my dad bought me mine he paid like 150 because he wouldn't ask me for a coupon. To hear that someone would let a toolbox that awesome go for 20$ it's just crazy.

In tool news I'm really thinking about getting a powerprobe. From what I have seen online there good in every variation. Does anyone hear have personal experience with any generation?

It was beat up, but nothing pop rivets and bed armor couldn't fix. I'm pleased with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bolind posted:

Hmmm, that got me thinking; is there such a thing as an internal rolled thread? Is it InitialDave who bitches about makes fasteners for a living?
Sorry, I missed this, I know it's several weeks ago now.

Yes, you can "roll" internal threads using a thread former/roll tap. However, we only really make externally threaded parts, and on the occasions where an internal thread has been required, it's always been cut/tapped.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just pulled the trigger on a motive pressure bleeder. I'm pumped!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

StormDrain posted:

I see what you did there.

I ordered one last week! And it's been "shipping soon" ever since then...

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Uthor posted:

I hope that doesn't happen to me, I overnighted it so I could get to work tomorrow on it.

I figured I may as well spend the money as it will remove an obstacle to getting various jobs done by myself on week nights. Eventually I can use it on other vehicles too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

StormDrain posted:

I hope that doesn't happen to me, I overnighted it so I could get to work tomorrow on it.

It's just Amazon being stupid with their free shipping. I placed a couple of orders at the same time and one of them was a pre-order of Mad Max: Fury Road. I feel like they combined the orders and are sitting on them until (hopefully) after the Labor Day weekend.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

SouthsideSaint posted:

In tool news I'm really thinking about getting a powerprobe. From what I have seen online there good in every variation. Does anyone hear have personal experience with any generation?

Mine was worth it just so I don't have to gently caress with having live wires hanging around while I'm diagnosing a problem. It shows you the voltage of whatever you touch it to, and the switch lets you put either power or ground to the tip, so you can check both sides of a device easily.

Basically it's not essential but it's a huge headache saver if you do any amount of electrical work at all. Everything they do can be accomplished with a voltmeter and a set of jumper wires, but the powerprobe does it faster and safer.

The circuit breaker (as opposed to a fuse) is nice too. At 8 amps you won't start a fire even if the switch does malfunction and it gets stuck in the on position. It'll run for a few seconds at higher amperages too, so it's still useful for higher draw things, like headlights.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Bought a new LED worklight for working in the shed and on around the house, since i need to get into the roof soon and do a heap of work.

http://www.milwaukeetools.com.au/power-tools/cordless/m18/show/m18ll-0

drat things like an LED flashbang when you turn it on, cos of COURSE the power switch is directly in front of the LED strips. Its pretty drat bright tho!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

Erhmagerd... Does this... Bleed and pressurize the entire system directly from the ease and comfort of the master cylinder? :stare:

E: nvm, just watched the video... I'm still gonna hafta pull all the wheels one by one to bleed apparently. From the amazon description, I thought that it just worked by creating a vacuum to pump out air/old fluid via the master cylinder and then introduce new fluid via a separate pressurized bottle hooked into the same system... A man can always dream I guess :sigh:

E2: I see that motive also makes a power extractor... Is there any way that those two systems can work together? Eg extract air/fluid and create a vacuum, then close off valve and switch to the other to pump fluid back into the pressurized system?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 9, 2015

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Uthor posted:

If only they made a good reservoir adapter for Honda and Toyota...

Other than that, a nearly perfect tool.

In related business, I followed the tutorial below to make an air pressure powered dispenser for gear oil/ transmission fluid/motor oil. It was cheap to make and works awesome. It beats the poo poo out of the Harbor Freight fluid transfer pump I was using before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNhswhnvuA

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 9, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

PBCrunch posted:

If only they made a good reservoir adapter for Honda and Toyota...

Other than that, a nearly perfect tool.

In related business, I followed the tutorial below to make an air pressure powered dispenser for gear oil/ transmission fluid/motor oil. It was cheap to make and work awesome. They beat the poo poo out of the Harbor Freight fluid transfer pump I was using before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNhswhnvuA

Yeah, Garden Sprayers are an amazingly useful tool... You can also install an air fitting and use your compressed air source at very low pressure to provide the motive force.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

OSU_Matthew posted:

Erhmagerd... Does this... Bleed and pressurize the entire system directly from the ease and comfort of the master cylinder? :stare:

E: nvm, just watched the video... I'm still gonna hafta pull all the wheels one by one to bleed apparently. From the amazon description, I thought that it just worked by creating a vacuum to pump out air/old fluid via the master cylinder and then introduce new fluid via a separate pressurized bottle hooked into the same system... A man can always dream I guess :sigh:

E2: I see that motive also makes a power extractor... Is there any way that those two systems can work together? Eg extract air/fluid and create a vacuum, then close off valve and switch to the other to pump fluid back into the pressurized system?

You can always do it and rotate the tires at the same time. Hell if you've got a whole morning you can do this while the engine oil drains during an oil change.

To answer your second part, no. The extractor uses a skinny tubing down the dipstick or similar and drinks your milkshake that way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I had the pressure bleeder out of the box and pushed a quart of fluid through the system in under an hour. Not bad I say. Since it's a pickup I didn't remove any wheels, I lost some time setting it up since I didn't have all of the tools ready and the connection to the master cylinder is a flat plate requiring some help. Use Teflon tape on the connection from the adapter to the pump.

I got some bubbles from the right rear that was supposedly good, and after a solid 5 minutes of flow from the front passenger wheel I got a huge bubble that would have taken a half hour to push out by foot. That side flowed so slowly until I pumped it up to a strong 15psi. I'm really looking forward to driving it now.

I think I'll end up doing my Escape later this year because it's old fluid.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, Garden Sprayers are an amazingly useful tool... You can also install an air fitting and use your compressed air source at very low pressure to provide the motive force.

Thats how mines set up. Im waiting for the day my ageing pressure sprayer cries enough at the 20-30psi i put into it to get heavy diff oil moving and goes off like an oil filled bomb.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Using plumbing fittings for a sand blaster results in exactly what you'd expect.

:china:

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have a Motive Power Bleeder. I got it to make bleeding the brakes on the Scirocco easier.

This week I was replacing the clutch master and slave cylinders on a 2005 Altima 2.5. I tried to use a vacuum bleeder hand pump thing. It was garbage. I tried to bleed it manually. The pedal just snaps to the floor.

I used the universal adapter kit (with the chain and j-hooks) from Motive to make it fit onto the clutch master reservoir. HOLY poo poo it worked perfect. System was air-free and flowing clean brake fluid in under a minute.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InitialDave posted:

Using plumbing fittings for a sand blaster results in exactly what you'd expect.

:china:

You just wrapped it with some electrical tape and kept going, right?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

You just wrapped it with some electrical tape and kept going, right?
You're joking, but actually, I just put my thumb over the hole to see if it improved matters - it didn't, I think the internal wear means it doesn't flow right, even with emptying the reservoir and making sure nothing's blocked, I couldn't get it to behave.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I just picked up one of those things you didn't know you absolutley needed until you had it.

A free filing cabinet tool box. It was larger than i was told to expect, so i parked legally which meant a block away. got a lot of stares being a near 7 foot tall guy walking around downtown with a 100lb filing cabinet tool box in my arms.

ooh yeah, take all that wiring you slut. hold that sandpaper tighter.

just one little adjustment for garage duty

That frees up my regular toolbox for actual tools.

edit: holy poo poo, apparently these things are worth about $500 bucks in good shape :stare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cole-steel-33-drawer-industrial-cabinet-/301510429598

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=3458616

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 16, 2015

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

StormDrain posted:

I have one of those and it's awesome and super handy. Whatever you do though, don't pump it up past 26 psi unless you like having brake fluid spray everywhere.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

MustardFacial posted:

I have one of those and it's awesome and super handy. Whatever you do though, don't pump it up past 26 psi unless you like having brake fluid spray everywhere.

I could only get it near 16 before it started to leak around the master, and 10 was plenty for most of it. I had to go up to 15 to get the fronts rolling though.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Powershift posted:

I just picked up one of those things you didn't know you absolutley needed until you had it.

A free filing cabinet tool box. It was larger than i was told to expect, so i parked legally which meant a block away. got a lot of stares being a near 7 foot tall guy walking around downtown with a 100lb filing cabinet tool box in my arms.

ooh yeah, take all that wiring you slut. hold that sandpaper tighter.

just one little adjustment for garage duty

That frees up my regular toolbox for actual tools.

edit: holy poo poo, apparently these things are worth about $500 bucks in good shape :stare:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cole-steel-33-drawer-industrial-cabinet-/301510429598

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=3458616

Nice! Yeah when Radioshack was shutting down a bunch of stores earlier this year some people were able to buy their big drawer units for super cheap. Would have been awesome to get some of those for small parts storage.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

mod sassinator posted:

Nice! Yeah when Radioshack was shutting down a bunch of stores earlier this year some people were able to buy their big drawer units for super cheap. Would have been awesome to get some of those for small parts storage.

The radioshack near me wanted a fortune for their old storage bins. They were decent, but the price was ridiculous.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Speaking of toolboxes, the dude from Mythbusters built his own tool chest(rack?) based around the things he uses the most so he can grab it and go. I think it's a super slick idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQAYfGxsPE

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Speaking of Adam Savage and toolboxes, don't know if he showed it off on video or just mentioned it in a podcast, but he apparently has repurposed some airplane beverage carts for mobile tool carts. I wanna say for consumables like sand paper. Lots of strong drawers, small and maneuverable, and the wheel locks are quick to activate.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MustardFacial posted:

Speaking of toolboxes, the dude from Mythbusters built his own tool chest(rack?) based around the things he uses the most so he can grab it and go. I think it's a super slick idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWQAYfGxsPE

I didnt know people pronounce Knipex with a long I. Weird.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Any cheap but decent soldering iron recommendations? My lovely $7 pen style radio shack one has pissed me off for the last time. I was thinking of this, but wanted to get more thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don't solder a ton but do radio installs and fixes on cars every now and then. That's why I'm hesitant to spend the extra money and buy a really nice one.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Any cheap but decent soldering iron recommendations? My lovely $7 pen style radio shack one has pissed me off for the last time. I was thinking of this, but wanted to get more thoughts.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS28UC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I don't solder a ton but do radio installs and fixes on cars every now and then. That's why I'm hesitant to spend the extra money and buy a really nice one.

I'm future you. I also had the cheapo Radio Shack version and upgraded to the one you linked and it's perfect for hobby use. I can't comment on the sponge as I mostly use a wire tip cleaner .

The included tip finally wore out on me after about a year of building 2 Class-AB stereo amplifiers and other misc projects, probably because of my excessive use of the wire cleaner.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
I have the old version of that weller. It's a huge improvement over a radio shack iron in terms of quality and reliability. Get yourself a couple sizes of tips and it will do anything you'll be need. Controlling temperature can be tricky, but won't matter unless you're working on smaller electronics. I highly recommend a wire cleaner instead of a sponge.

If you can swing the money, a hakko 888d is nicer and easier to use. If you think you'll ever be doing a lot of circuitry it would be a worthwhile upgrade.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
All of the mobile electronics installers I have been around greatly prefer butane soldering irons over electric. The portability and instant heat are really nice attributes. Power Probe makes some good ones.

I wouldn't build an amplifier with one, but it works great for stereo and remote start wiring.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PBCrunch posted:

All of the mobile electronics installers I have been around greatly prefer butane soldering irons over electric. The portability and instant heat are really nice attributes. Power Probe makes some good ones.

I wouldn't build an amplifier with one, but it works great for stereo and remote start wiring.

They should really be using crimps over solders for vehicle wiring harnesses.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Safety Dance posted:

They should really be using crimps over solders for vehicle wiring harnesses.

You should really stop leaving wires under enough tension to transmit vibrations into the soldered joint.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

There must be no slack!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Actually aren't the best connectors the ones that crimp and have a low temperature solder that you melt with a heat gun? They usually have glue in them too so the crimp & glue makes it watertight and the solder guarantees a solid connection. These guys: http://www.delcity.net/store/Heat-S...CFUZafgodj7oAPg

As far as soldering irons go if you want a station I really like Hakko. Their FX-888D is a solid choice around $100, but if you have a Frys nearby check their Sunday ads and every few months they drop it down to $69 on sale. I actually have their older version, the 936, and it's awesome too if you find one.

Stations are kinda annoying for portable work though. I haven't used them but have heard good things about butane in that case. I'd look at a well known brand like Weller in that case. Bonus points if it has changeable tips.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cat Hatter posted:

You should really stop leaving wires under enough tension to transmit vibrations into the soldered joint.

Wires don't have to be under tension to transmit vibration, the copper will take care of that.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I'm not a huge fan of hakko (mainly because they look like playskool toys) so my recommendation would be WLC100 for $50, or WES51 for ~$100. The Portasol is a decent butane iron, if you're into that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I've decided that I need an electric impact wrench in my life. I'm sick of putting things off because I have to dick around with stretching air hose and charging the compressor.

I've already bought into the Makita 18v lithium lineup, so I'm stuck between two models and could use some input.

Should I get a smaller brushless wrench with 210 ft. Lbs torque, or the slightly cheaper, heftier version with 325 ft. lbs torque?

It probably won't see any use harder than an occasional axle nut, if that helps.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Higher torque for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
I decided I needed a service cart at work, but the affordable ones are garbage, and the good ones are too pricey. Fortunately for me, when we get scaffolding that is bent in one spot it is no longer usable even though the rest of it is perfectly fine, so I decided to combine that with some of the leftover stock plate steel we have just sitting around collecting rust.

After a few hours of playing with the sawzall and welder, and I have this:

Probably the most heavy duty cart I've ever seen. The whole thing is 10 gauge steel, with the legs made out of steel scaffolding frames (I didn't realise two of them were galvanized until after I started, so I used an angle grinder to take off as much as I could from the spots I was welding). I didn't take a picture of the underside but the top table is supported by 1/8" thick 1" square steel tubing. The casters I stole from a new box, and are rated for 750 lbs each. So when you consider the safety factor built into scaffolding, I can probably get over 2 tons on it without buckling. Downside is that it weighs like 150lbs, but our shop and yard are pretty smooth, and the casters are 8", so it rolls no problem. Overkill? Maybe, but I got the materials for free, and I managed to sneak in a little bit of work at a time over a couple weeks so actually I got paid to make it.

All in all it came out pretty good despite not having any kind of jig to hold it while welding or even a chop saw to make straight cuts.

Painted green because Sunbelt: