Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

What does salad lover mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/salad-lovers-salad-53859.aspx ??

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

ImpAtom posted:

No, it really isn't. The ending of the game we got is the ending of the game and was pretty clearly intended to be. It bookends the entire story and causes it to end not only roughly at the same place it starts (with the Man Who Sold The World tape) but also at the start of the original Metal Gear. There is absolutely no way that was intended as the ending of the game and there is no chance the game would have ended there or it would have been the final boss fight. (Except insomuch as it might be the final fight against a boss-like character.)

Oh, I still totally think Mission 46 is the "true" ending, and I think it was always going to be the final one. But Mission 51 wrapped up the major loose threads from Chapter 2 and very obviously got cut from the game because the Eli stuff ends on a massive cliffhanger.

When people are saying it's the "real" ending, I think they mean "it's a cleaner ending for chapter 2 than Mission 45" which I agree with. The twist was very much always going to be a part of it, from way before the game got released. It just would have been nice to wrap up chapter 2 a little neater *before* Mission 46.

Discendo Vox posted:

Grizzled Patriarch, where are you hearing the bombed village in mission 51 bit? I'm not seeing any signs of it anywhere- the site of 51 is an island that's explicitly abandoned- and the child soldiers are presumably just glassed with the island, or rescued by DD.

Not sure on the source, that's just what I've been hearing from the people who follow that sort of thing way more obsessively than I care to. It might have been something else that got scrapped too, and maybe the island was supposed to be inhabited at first. Or else there was meant to be another part in chapter 2 where he bombs the village or something. I'll see if I can dig up something more concrete than that.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Sep 9, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh, it certainly would have been an improvement to be in the game but people talked about it like it completely redefined the ending and explained all these important things and the game is obviously hugely incomplete without it which I don't really agree on. The Eli thing is left dangling (though we know from context how it resolves) and that sucks but I don't feel like it would have really redefined the plot much. It's more that it closes up a few things, most of which honestly are not that major. The English parasite thing is the biggest one I'd say and that is just resolved with "they sterilize the land and Eli just gets it resolved via plot device" which honestly isn't much more satisfying.

I mean I guess my feeling on it is "it'd be better if this was in but even if it is in Eli's kind of a dull character with a predictable motivation we already know, it isn't going to change my feelings on the plot much."

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Lmfao this loving car ride where Snake and Skullface silently stare into each other's eyes while the theme plays

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Yeah, I don't think it's a huge missing piece story-wise (I am mostly bummed I didn't get to play around in the not-Lord-of-the-Flies jungle and get another boss fight), and you infer from what happens later in the series that Eli obviously didn't succeed in spreading the English parasite or destroying the world with a metal gear or anything. It would have alleviated that feeling of "oh, it's over?" that you get at the end a little, and it would have closed the loop on Skull Face definitively, which would have been at least enough to qualify the story as "complete" even if its still got flaws.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

a cop posted:

Lmfao this loving car ride where Snake and Skullface silently stare into each other's eyes while the theme plays

act with haste and open your idroid, then start playing the nasty liquid shits mp3 on speakerphone imo

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Did both Outer Heaven and Zanzibar land get bombed after Snake completed his mission or was it just one or the other? I don't remember.

Edit: A really funny tape I would have wanted to hear someday is how Big Boss came to the conclusion he should name his country on the border of China and Pakistan after Zanzibar.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 9, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Outer Heaven explodes, but Snake and Holly are chased out of Zanzibar Land by troops and just escape by heli with no explosion.

a cop posted:

why are they sitting so close?!

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I want to believe in 9/11, I am in denial that my favorite series would give me such blue balls when it comes to the game that was supposed to depict Big Boss becoming evil (Hideo's words). I am in denial that he would spend his last game of the series on a throwaway villain and skim over what fans were most excited about in the trailers, the darker story elements linking the Big Boss we know from MGS3/Peace Walker to the antagonist who we're ordered to kill in MG1.

I don't care about the twist. I'm just stuck wondering where is the controversy? Where is what made him say that he might not get to work in games again? Where is the thing that he could only pull off in a video game?

Then the conspiracy side of me kicks in and notices that Konami hasn't exactly taken a financial hit from their incredibly negative press, then there's the lack of leaks. Maybe it's different in Japanese business culture where you don't air "dirty laundry" but they have people affected by this in Europe/America that don't share those traits. That just tells me that if this were to be a ruse, it's not like Konami is losing much from it, and maybe they knew that.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 9, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Drinkfist posted:

Some old man engineered a parasite that lives in your vocal cords and kills you if you speak a language it listens to on a SONY WALKMAN (tm). He also thought that wasn't cool enough and then decided to make a parasite that makes you a "Super Soldier Zombie Geomancer". As a final gently caress you he then created a third parasite that rusts all metal except for small arms weapons/Metal Gears and it creates the byproduct of weaponized uranium so you can make nukes after you kill an entire armor column with a cloud of the poo poo. After this old man made this poo poo he was super depressed that he attracted the attention of Hydra and Red Skull came and took all his poo poo. He now works on furthering his loving research on Mother Base while spreading his airborne parasite eyes across the base to stare at Diamond Dogs in the shower stalls.

The Medic's personality consists of saying "Stop that" and "That's enough". He is well loved by his men that he forcefully kidnapped and collecting children so he can have Boris and Tank teach them in a classroom how to drink whiskey and play cards. The only women he allows on his base are ones that are heavily into bondage or require you to keep them in a box and water them daily so they don't wilt and die. Also he eats Diamond Dogs instead of normal food and prefers them grilled and well done.

There is no Chapter 51. We all watched a youtube video that told us how cool it would be if they finished their storyline and then blamed it on Konami's obsession with gambling ball machines and not Hideo's loving poo poo incompetence.

This whole game is Hideo Kojima saying "gently caress You" to millions of his autistic fans and them loving saying "Thank you. Abuse us more. I love you. Let me touch your golden dick" like they were real Diamond Dog staff.
Guys this is honestly one of the best posts in the thread. Unironically.

I actually do think the game felt like Kojima pissing in as many faces as possible. "Oh you don't like Snake repeating words as questions? Now he doesn't talk at all! Oh, you don't like all these cutscenes? Well now audio logs tell the story like Bioshock! And here's a long scene where you just control the camera so you can pretend it's not a cutscene because you fellate Half-Life for doing this!

"Oh you said my games are too linear? Well now you can spend hours running across a barren landscape. Oh, my games are too short? Let's drag this one out to minimum 50 hours by making you replay missions and sit in helicopters and go to Mother Base so you can shower!

"You say the games are inaccessible? Well, here's some Call of Duty bullshit. A twist and a plot worthy of Black Ops 2 or some poo poo. And here's a castle level that wouldn't be out of place in Splinter Cell: Blacklist because gently caress you.

"Oh, you call yourself an MGS fan but you didn't play Peace Walker? You didn't play Peace Walker at all, did you?! You thought you could skip that one?! Well here's Peace Walker again, you ungrateful little bastards, with almost all of the lovely parts included! Sadly, I was fired before I could make you hunt for Zadornov."

EDIT: what with the game making me search through 700 soldiers looking for Kikongo speakers, I haven't played anything that feels so much like it hates me and doesn't want me to have fun - since GTAV made me mop floors.

VagueRant fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 9, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

You know, I like how the whole Paz subplot foreshadows the big reveal because there is no way Big Boss gives enough of a poo poo about Paz to hallucinate about her. Big Boss never took the Hippocratic Oath though

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Complete mission 45.

Get 3 pages of tips telling me how awesome quiet is.

:sigh:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

So Eli is Liquid, where's Snake?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

a cop posted:

So Eli is Liquid, where's Snake?

Having a good childhood.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

iGestalt posted:

Having a good childhood.

Where/why? Weren't they test tube bros?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Liquid was raised in Britain, Solid in America.

That's why he sounds like that.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

You know, I like how the whole Paz subplot foreshadows the big reveal because there is no way Big Boss gives enough of a poo poo about Paz to hallucinate about her. Big Boss never took the Hippocratic Oath though
Even in GZ it seemed like we were meant to care a lot more about Paz than anyone did. It's weird Snake and Kaz were even calling her Paz at that point and not...sigh...Pacifica Ocean.

DaveKap posted:

Complete mission 45.

Get 3 pages of tips telling me how awesome quiet is.

:sigh:
I never actually played this part, kept the butterfly emblem and just watched it on youtube, why does she actually leave?

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

VagueRant posted:

I never actually played this part, kept the butterfly emblem and just watched it on youtube, why does she actually leave?

She had to speak to save Big Boss during her final mission. Which would activate the parasite and kill everybody. So she walks off into the desert to die/have a spin off mobile game.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

She probably should have gotten Code Talker to hook her up with some emergency talky herb huh

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
Is there a reason why Skull Face acts like an owl or is he just a bigger dork than Ocelot.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Big Boss did 9/11 and I don't know how to accept that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

She probably should have gotten Code Talker to hook her up with some emergency talky herb huh

It's explained in the tapes that she didn't want to take the cure because she is torn on whether she wants revenge against Big Boss or not, and didn't want to get rid of her ace in the hole against him. She just decides not to talk until she makes up her mind, but then the choice ends up being out of her hands.

edit:

Under the vegetable posted:

Big Boss did 9/11 and I don't know how to accept that.

haha

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Oh I forgot this wasn't the spoilers/plot discussion thread and was instead the MGSV isn't like my fanfic so kojima is a nip bastard thread.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
Seriously though I think it would be really funny and cool if the insane rumors were true and there was a nutty 9/11 DLC where Big Boss blows up the twin towers with his mujahideen buddies after Solid Snake foils his plans of destabilizing the global oil market with OILIX.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The parasite is also likely the same thing that ended up becoming at least FOXDIE, as Naomi stated that eventually FOXDIE will decay, no longer discern its kill-function from its carriers, and become a plague.
Code Talker calls it FOX2P or something, so yeah it's clearly a FOXDIE precursor. The fact the parasites can manipulate vocal cords even makes the "FOX... DIE!" thing make sense. For as much sense as Metal Gear ever makes.

Also regarding why Code Talker did all this retarded poo poo with weaponized parasites: Code Talker took Skull Face's deal because he was working on the metallic archaea (the rust clouds) first in order to dismantle shitloads of radioactive waste on Navajo land from uranium mining and nuclear testing. He found out about the parasites from the files on Cobra Squad (who apparently had various parasites) and direct study of the exploded remains of The End, the cells of which did not die even after The End exploded. He also used this to become immortal because gently caress it why not, and he wanted The Pain's ability to control bees but they wouldn't let him at The Pain's remains. Then Skull Face made him work on the language parasites by threatening to kill his people, and while studying this Code Talker discovered that human speech only exists because of a prior symbiotic relationship of humans and parasites that shaped human vocal cords so the parasites could get laid.

Seriously. Yes, I did listen to like twenty straight minutes of Code Talker explaining all of this on a tape while driving across Afghanistan. Yes, I probably did have better things to do with my time.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Nakar posted:

Code Talker calls it FOX2P or something,

FOXP2 is actually a thing. Forkhead box protein P2 is a protein that is directly related to the development of speech and language. Kojima still does his crazy research, at least.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's explained in the tapes that she didn't want to take the cure because she is torn on whether she wants revenge against Big Boss or not, and didn't want to get rid of her ace in the hole against him. She just decides not to talk until she makes up her mind, but then the choice ends up being out of her hands.

That's what I mean, the talky herb doesn't cure poo poo. Would've been smart to have some along in a talky/vengeance emergency.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

DasKuend posted:

Serious question (im just not gud at engrish), is it just my imagination or is kojima (in case he made that game) a somewhat disgusting women debasing weirdo. how he portraits women compared to men in his games and then also the children in ttp :psyduck:

yes the guy who wrote the single greatest and most well-realized woman in any plot in video game history hates women

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No, it really isn't. The ending of the game we got is the ending of the game and was pretty clearly intended to be. It bookends the entire story and causes it to end not only roughly at the same place it starts (with the Man Who Sold The World tape) but also at the start of the original Metal Gear. There is absolutely no way that was intended as the ending of the game and there is no chance the game would have ended there or it would have been the final boss fight. (Except insomuch as it might be the final fight against a boss-like character.)
Er, to be honest I didn't now the game ended because the Chapter system, Chapter 1's ending having credits, and Chapter 2's preview led me to believe that there would either be a Chapter 3 or an Epilogue, not a "here's the obvious twist, now go away" end that actually made me go to the Internet to figure out that I had actually finished the game.

VagueRant posted:

Even in GZ it seemed like we were meant to care a lot more about Paz than anyone did. It's weird Snake and Kaz were even calling her Paz at that point and not...sigh...Pacifica Ocean.
If you listened to the tapes Paz left behind, it would make more sense. It gives you the sense that the Pacifica Ocean bit was against her will and she wanted to side with Big Boss, which is further evidenced by the tape of her interrogation where she asks if telling Skull Face where Cipher is, if he'll spare Big Boss's life. So, yeah, you're supposed to care about Paz but it's on a flimsy premise of tapes instead of cut-scenes.

And Quiet leaves because she talks while having the English parasite, so she'd just end up dead and spreading a disease at your base if she went with you. Why Venom Snake never contracts the disease from her or anyone else? Shrug.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 9, 2015

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Also according to the tapes Sahelanthropus is a walking nuclear bomb because the metallic archaea in it can super-enrich its depleted uranium armor and detonate with the force of a dozen nukes because... I don't know why you would want to make Sahelanthropus blow itself up, but Code Talker says it's totally possible!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

iGestalt posted:

While I would like to believe there is some deeper meaning to it - I'm afraid I cannot. Kojima is just a bit of a creepy pervert.

yeah those fuckin japs are such sex perverts, i mean he can't possibly be an actual artist im pretty sure he just wants to rape

seriously, i honestly think a lot of this stuff is some loving weird crypto-racist poo poo and it makes me really uncomfortable. people who aren't even willing to entertain the possibility that kojima is capable of telling a multilayered story and use visuals to reinforce his themes who then go right into some dogwhistle stuff about perversity and how he's clearly just a bad writer with sex fetishes, i don't know. it really sets off some red flags.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Nakar posted:

Also according to the tapes Sahelanthropus is a walking nuclear bomb because the metallic archaea in it can super-enrich its depleted uranium armor and detonate with the force of a dozen nukes because... I don't know why you would want to make Sahelanthropus blow itself up, but Code Talker says it's totally possible!
If Skull Face didn't like how someone was using it, it's the ultimate slap on the wrist.

yeah those fuckin japs are such sex perverts, i mean he can't possibly be an actual artist im pretty sure he just wants to rape

seriously, i honestly think a lot of this stuff is some loving weird crypto-racist poo poo and it makes me really uncomfortable.
Most of the world is perverted, only some of the world freely acknowledges it! :shrug: Kojima used to just acknowledge it, this time around he was all "you'll feel bad for saying I'm sexist!" instead of "she's sexy, whatever." so he looks dumber for it.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

seriously, i honestly think a lot of this stuff is some loving weird crypto-racist poo poo and it makes me really uncomfortable.

How is that crypto-racist poo poo? The dude put a scantily clad lady with intense focus on her tits and rear end into the game. The only real female character, too.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

iGestalt posted:

How is that crypto-racist poo poo? The dude put a scantily clad lady with intense focus on her tits and rear end into the game. The only real female character, too.

because there are legitimate reasons to do this, as buschmaki said, and he's also written some of the deeper, more human, well realized female characters that have ever been in video games. but you know, japanese people, weird sex stuff, it's a stereotype that pervades any discussion of japanese media and it ALWAYS creeps in when people talk about kojima

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There's a tape where Ocelot goes on for like 15 minutes in laborious detail explaining exactly who was channeling Lil' Mantis at all points during the story, including when he was running off Volgin's hatred to kill Big Boss and when he was running off Skull Face's desire to control Volgin to kill Big Boss, even though Volgin already had a reason to kill Big Boss and I'm not sure how Skull Face was controlling Volgin when he wasn't even there. He then speculates a bunch of explanations for Mantis's motives that are complete bullshit because he has no way of knowing.

I had to listen to all of these things to clear the popup from my menu and I regret everything but the hamburger tapes.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Also all the "Snake is perverted" stuff was player-actionable. He was only perverted if you raced to the bathroom, jiggled your controller, or held down the first person view button during cutscenes. Fan service for the fans who wanted it. In this game he just shoves it in front of your face. Kinda different.

Nakar posted:

I had to listen to all of these things to clear the popup from my menu and I regret everything but the hamburger tapes.
You can just hit play and stop and the pop up goes away.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

because there are legitimate reasons to do this, as buschmaki said, and he's also written some of the deeper, more human, well realized female characters that have ever been in video games. but you know, japanese people, weird sex stuff, it's a stereotype that pervades any discussion of japanese media and it ALWAYS creeps in when people talk about kojima

He can be a pervert and write well realized female characters, though. He's still a pervert who needlessly fixated certain elements of the singular female character in the game. His being Japanese has nothing to do with that assessment.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
agreed, kojima wrote a character a decade ago therefore he clearly can't be sexist.

you see, all these shots of Quiets rear end have a deeper meaning to them

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

cargohills posted:

Being purposefully exploitative still means that it's exploitative.

im sorry that you dont understand how making a commentary on a thing while depicting it is different from actually doing that thing in earnest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I love all these nerds complaining about not getting the promised depiction of Big Boss falling to evil, when the reveal + truth files spell out that he became evil exactly when it looked like he did (the end of Peace Walker).

• Locked thread