Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Please god make something actually interesting happen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Be very careful what you wish for.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Oberleutnant posted:

Well, I might be getting a haircut.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oberleutnant posted:

Paula radcliffes continuing meltdown is kind of funny if that counts

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

Queen reveals herself as lizard person, world ends.

Also what's with "Brenda"?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Renaissance Robot posted:

Queen reveals herself as lizard person, world ends.

Also what's with "Brenda"?

Private Eye's nickname for her.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
So I was discussing THE REFUGEE CRISIS with a colleague yesterday, with predictable results. One point he made which I did struggle to counter was why it is that there is not a lot more of a global outcry for more developed middle eastern countries (e.g. The Emirates, Saudi Arabia etc) to take in more asylum seekers. I know that Europe is going to be a more attractive destination than those draconian hell holes, but is there a reason that western politicians haven't dragged them into it?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

The Perfect Element posted:

So I was discussing THE REFUGEE CRISIS with a colleague yesterday, with predictable results. One point he made which I did struggle to counter was why it is that there is not a lot more of a global outcry for more developed middle eastern countries (e.g. The Emirates, Saudi Arabia etc) to take in more asylum seekers. I know that Europe is going to be a more attractive destination than those draconian hell holes, but is there a reason that western politicians haven't dragged them into it?

Because they're literal dictatorships and as much as the west loves staying on their good side I don't think Europe or even the US can make them do anything. If given the choice between death squads and literal slavery in he UAE I don't know which one I'd pick.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Trickjaw posted:

Private Eye's nickname for her.

quote:

The Royal Family

Queen Elizabeth II is often referred to as "Brenda", and the Prince of Wales as "Brian".[2] This is a result of the 1969 BBC documentary Royal Family, after which the magazine gave each member of the Royal Family working class nicknames, as though they were characters in a soap opera. The Duke of Edinburgh is "Keith", Princess Margaret was "Yvonne" andDiana, Princess of Wales was dubbed "Cheryl".[2]

That's a long time to hang on to a joke.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
You aren't going to pay thousands of pounds to go and build football stadiums in 40 c heat for free when germany is offering a sweet package deal.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Just yesterday, the UN was raging about that, and I also had an argument on the same point last week. As near as I can conjecture, if you are sufficiently motivated to leave a war torn hell hole like Syria, the surrounding states are no safer, with the tendrils of ISIS everywhere. To anyone fleeing Europe looks pretty drat safe and secure. You don't win though, if your opponent is anything like mine. He just said ' Why aren't they going to Muslim countries instead of Christian ones?' completely ignoring, you know, personal safety.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

most of them are still alive

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Sums up the monarchy quite well that.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TomViolence posted:

Be very careful what you wish for.

I'd settle for only a very minor plane crash. We've had loads this year so far, one more couldn't hurt. Just a forced landing or something.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Isn't it just the usual submissive behaviour towards the Gulf states combined with the common knowledge that these are overtly racist and closed societies that we don't expect any better of?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Oberleutnant posted:

I'd settle for only a very minor plane crash. We've had loads this year so far, one more couldn't hurt. Just a forced landing or something.

Well, a BA plane in Vegas has caught ahad.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
A lot of people on my FB feed, all at once, have posted images saying that the refugees should go back and fight for their countries, just like are boys did in the second world war.

I don't even know where to begin with em. We're such a lovely, bitter little country.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Prince John posted:

Isn't it just the usual submissive behaviour towards the Gulf states combined with the common knowledge that these are overtly racist and closed societies that we don't expect any better of?

Also, not a good idea to shack up with the folks funding the people you're fleeing from.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Oberleutnant posted:

err

be sure to use your newfound magical powers for good, Oberleutnant

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Holy poo poo. Oberleutnant, make more, better wishes, quick

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

I told you so.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
....Full Communism Now?

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Trickjaw posted:

Well, a BA plane in Vegas has caught ahad.

Ahad? All helicopters are dangerous?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Ahad? All helicopters are dangerous?

Oops, northern talk. 'On fire'

lionlegs
Feb 16, 2005
Ask me about my lego spheres!

As this Guardian article points out, a huge amount of refugees have gone to middle eastern countries already, although not the ones you mention:

quote:

More than 4 million refugees have fled Syria since the war there began in 2011. According to the UN’s refugee agency, almost 1.8 million have gone to Turkey, more than 600,000 to Jordan and 1 million to Lebanon – a country whose population is just 4 million.

lmaoboy1998
Oct 23, 2013

lionlegs posted:

As this Guardian article points out, a huge amount of refugees have gone to middle eastern countries already, although not the ones you mention:

The Saudis also claim to have taken in some vast number of Syrians but have chosen not to classify them as refugees because this is more 'humane'.

Naturally we shouldn't take that at face value but its probable that the 'Zero Syrians to the Gulf' claims aren't entirely accurate either.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Some countries already are doing a lot, notably Lebanon, which has 1.2m registered (and almost certainly more unregistered) refugees in a country of only 4m, and Turkey, which has taken 2m. Yes, the other gulf states should be doing a lot more (although sectarian and political tensions make it a lot more complex than simply saying "move to Saudi"), but the UK's response has been so limited and so meagre that it's hardly in a position to chastise others for not doing enough.

[Edit: ^^ also good points]

Niric fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 9, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

quote:

Two five-year-old Russian boys used spades to dig their way out of their kindergarten and set off on a mission to buy a Jaguar sports car, the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily has reported.

The two boys disappeared as their group took part in a supervised walk in the grounds of the kindergarten in the city of Magnitogorsk in the Urals region, the tabloid said.

Chelyabinsk regional interior ministry confirmed the boys’ escape from the kindergarten. “We don’t have any details yet, we can only confirm the fact itself,” a spokesman said, adding that the incident took place several days ago.

After reaching freedom, the boys walked just over a mile to a car showroom selling luxury cars. A female driver noticed them and asked what they were doing. They told her they had come from their kindergarten to buy a Jaguar but did not have any money.

She put them in her car and drove them to a police station.

The boys had prepared their escape for several days, digging a hole under a fence using spades from the sandpit, Komsomolskaya Pravda reported, citing kindergarten staff.
lmao

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Barry Foster posted:

A lot of people on my FB feed, all at once, have posted images saying that the refugees should go back and fight for their countries, just like are boys did in the second world war.

I don't even know where to begin with em. We're such a lovely, bitter little country.

Say that if they feel so strongly about it they should form an international brigade and go help them fight for their country, just like our boys did immediately prior to the second world war.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Say that if they feel so strongly about it they should form an international brigade and go help them fight for their country, just like our boys did immediately prior to the second world war.

I called them out and they changed their tack, saying 'yeah but we have to sort out our own first, and also with the huge threat of terrorism in this country letting new people in is asking for trouble'

So I am wasting my time assembling an over-detailed post about how absurdly tiny the number of refugees we're taking in is, how the UK is not full up, how terrorism is vastly over-exaggerated, and more. Which is pointless, because you don't win arguments with facts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this definitely happened

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Go discuss Uganda with yourself.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I have even less idea than usual what you're talking about Jedit

Barry Foster posted:

I called them out and they changed their tack, saying 'yeah but we have to sort out our own first, and also with the huge threat of terrorism in this country letting new people in is asking for trouble'

:catstare:

Are you loving kidding me

Phoneposting so I can't adequately rant about all the reasons this is backwards, short version disaffected natives who perceive establishment prejudice against them are a bigger terror risk than foreigners who want to be safe.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 9, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

short version disaffected natives who perceive establishment prejudice against them are a bigger terror risk than foreigners who want to be safe.
That's why this thread is on watchlists.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jose posted:

Paula radcliffes continuing meltdown is kind of funny if that counts

I'm enjoying it very very much.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
What's with French Separatists? Brittany?

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jedit posted:

Go discuss Uganda with yourself.

Sir,
In light of recent discussions about the continued use of "Brenda," perhaps you can illustrate the appropriateness of hanging on to old jokes with a suitable photo.
Bill O'Padd
Cork, Ireland

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

Corsica, I imagine

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

baka kaba posted:

But that's sort of the key to their perspective - they have strong beliefs about the way the game is meant to work, how you're meant to do things, because that's the professional roadmap they've been following. It's hard for them to be objective, and it undermines their own careers if the orthodoxy is challenged, so they come across as knee-jerk reactionaries. Especially when they shout about electability - why should anyone listen to them when they can't even gauge the electability of candidates within their own party? The people who nominated Corbyn were kicking themselves for this 'huge mistake', we've got Chuka ranting about spoiled children, Blair writing articles where he says I DON'T GET IT... why should anyone accept the political truths these people are spouting?

I know what you mean with the soundbites, but again Corbyn hasn't really been doing that, they've been pouncing on him with gotchas as a result, and... he's been weathering it. The 'way things are done' isn't actually working for them this time. And they don't know what to do about it, because they've been relying on everyone playing the same game, because you have to, if you want to win, apparently?

They can't even win their own election, and they want everyone to believe they know how to win over the wider electorate. Maybe Corbyn's approach isn't enough to make a dent in the national media machine, but he's doing all right so far, so who knows!

It's fairly obvious that the electability stuff is bull and I don't even think a Labour party with dunces like Akehurst believe in it fully. IMO it's obliquely referencing that anything less than enthusiasm for austerity and capitalism (BUSINESS IS GREAT) will not be tolerated by national and international bodies (c.f. mitterand, syriza).

Which is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Oberleutnant posted:

People often forget about the French Basque Country. And you've got Corsica too.

• Locked thread