Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

canyoneer posted:

Once I called my ISP all smarmy because my internet wasn't working after moving my PC (why should that matter?!).

The guy told me to unplug my ethernet cable and switch ends. I knew enough to know that wouldn't work, but I did it anyway and it worked. He was kind enough to tell me that the reason why it worked was because although I had told him that, yes, duh, of course my ethernet cable was plugged in, my ethernet cable was not fully plugged into one or more ends. :downs:

I heard this is why, instead of asking you "Are you sure it's plugged in?" or the like, tech support will ask you to unplug it then plug it back in, or plug it into a different power socket. It's very possible that it isn't plugged in properly, but if you just straight up say "Are you sure it's plugged in?" you'll get swore at because "gently caress YOU I know about computers man of course it's plugged in :mad:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
This is strange, even for STDH.

quote:

A Very Testing Prank
HIGH SCHOOL | OH, USA | BAD BEHAVIOR, EXAMS/TESTS, TEACHERS
(April Fool’s day is always ‘fun’ in my school district; practically every teacher pulls some kind of prank. I am a special needs child on the autism spectrum, meaning I don’t always get sarcasm and jokes. This year is particularly traumatic, with my biology teacher pulling this stunt.)

Bio Teacher: Today we’ll be taking a test on Organic Compounds. You will have the whole period to do this test, and you will have to name each of the compounds listed in your book, without looking at them. The test is worth 100 points.

(There is a list of thirty compounds that I still can’t remember the names of. The whole class sits in silence for about ten minutes while the teacher is out, allegedly printing out some materials. Then, another teacher comes in.)

Teacher #2: “The test has been cancelled. Feel free to throw away all your materials.”

(The whole class does so; I have a feeling that a lot of them knew this was a joke. I didn’t. My teacher came back in about three minutes later.)

Bio Teacher: “Where’s all the tests? Why aren’t you working on your tests?!”

Student: “Mr. [Teacher #2] told us to throw them out.”

Bio Teacher: “Why would you listen to him?”

Student: “He said you cancelled the test!”

(At this point, I was panicking. I had never failed a test before in my life, and I was afraid my parents were going to ground me, or worse, for doing so. The teacher kept insisting that he didn’t know what we were talking about, and then said that we had all failed the test. The next thing I remember, I was in the counselor’s office, apparently having suffered a panic attack. I don’t think he pulled any pranks in any of his classes after that year.)

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Samizdata posted:

Nope nope nope. Did NOT happen. The customer at no point expressed incredulity that they were to put a disc in their nifty retractable cup shelf. Unless, of course, they were Einstein...

(I have worked tech support for a long time. Also, that post was a 'shop. I could see the pixels.)

The story clearly and consistently said "disks", not "discs". This means diskettes, which are not an optical disc medium and don't go in retractable drives.

I think your assertion that you have worked tech support for a long time is the true STDH here. :smugdog:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

jezebel's behind closed ovens commenter Katie Jefferson posted:

For a brief time in college, I worked as a cashier at a small Mexican take-out restaurant. The owner of the restaurant had very specific things he looked for in a cashier. We must be young, blonde, have an inability to speak Spanish, and be willing to work under the table. Looking back on it now, I wonder why on earth I ever took this job. I must have been blinded by the prospect of free burritos.

Then one shift I was told I wouldn’t be working the cash register, but instead doing the owner a favor that day. He asked me, “You read English, right?” to which I said “Yeah...” He replied, “Good, then you can program our video cameras.” Now I am not technically savvy, so the fact that I can read English was not going to help me program anything. But it was a day away from actual customers, so I said I would do it. I then followed him behind the building to where the dumpster was, and he indicated for me to open a door (which I had never seen before) into what I lovingly refer to as “ the cum dungeon”.

Before me was the most terrifying room I had ever seen, and I was pretty sure I was going to die in there. It was a concrete room with no windows and hundreds of Playboy/Hustler pictures taped to the wall. On the floor was a bare, stained mattress and a single La-Z-boy sitting in front of a TV. I was in such shock that I don’t even remember how I ended up sitting on that La-Z-Boy and starting to program his video cameras for him. My fingers were like lighting on that remote control, and I programmed like no one had ever programmed before! The last thing I wanted was for him to open the door and find me not done.

Finally after four hours, the owner opened the door to see my progress. I told him I was sick and had to leave, and raced out of there as quick as possible, never to return. Now, as a mature adult I would have called the police to investigate, but at the time I was more worried about the pay I was losing by never going back. Sometimes free burritos aren’t worth it.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

I also lovingly refer to things that are terrible

Hatrocious
Jan 1, 2013

And that's how Trump's voter base was made.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tunahead posted:

The story clearly and consistently said "disks", not "discs". This means diskettes, which are not an optical disc medium and don't go in retractable drives.

I think your assertion that you have worked tech support for a long time is the true STDH here. :smugdog:

Yeah, while it seems a little exaggerated, it made me flash back to when I was Tier2 for company that made library software. For a fee we had data entry people who would convert a card catalog into the data format for our software which would be put onto multiple floppies (sometimes up to 50 for very large catalogs)

I had librarians calling all distraught, because the import they just finished was only a fraction of their collection. After verifying the shipment and that, yes you have the entire catalog, they expressed bewilderment that they needed to import *all* the floppies, not just the one labeled <PUBLIC LIBRARY CATALOG> #1. What the hell they thought the other disks were was considered an impolitic question to ask.

It became such a common call after we started offering card catalog conversions, that we ended up writing a script for the Tier 1 guys.

I still have nightmares about BTrieve and BanyonVines.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 16:19 on Sep 9, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tunahead posted:

Whatever. It could have been a CD.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Samizdata posted:

Whatever. It could have been a CD.
Again, it said disk, not disc. Shouldn't someone with a tech support background know the difference?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Leon Einstein posted:

Again, it said disk, not disc. Shouldn't someone with a tech support background know the difference?

Perhaps they don't give a poo poo about being completely accurate in a dumb story for losers.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Perhaps they don't give a poo poo about being completely accurate in a dumb story for losers.

Wait, he's Einstein, so that means he's always right, right?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I decided to check on what our old friend Amy Lee has been up to. Now I need a strong drink and a good, long stare at the wall. Jesus...

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Rahonavis posted:

I decided to check on what our old friend Amy Lee has been up to. Now I need a strong drink and a good, long stare at the wall. Jesus...

Actually, it seems Jesus is the only person she didn't meet, get assaulted by, name, or inspire.

quote:

It was Chris who brought the Queen of England into my life and convinced her I was out to ruin the name of Ian Fleming. She considered Fleming to be a “National Treasure” despite him being a philanderer who often had affairs and not once but twice named a character for female genitalia. Needless to say, Kurt Cobain and Joe Elliott were never prosecuted for stalking, drugging, kidnapping, or repeatedly raping me. Before the Queen’s unofficial visit to Alabama, I heard Chris tell Kurt to do exactly as he told him and he would “get him off the hook”.

Is she one of these gang stalking people, or is this a whole other branch of crazy?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Actually, it seems Jesus is the only person she didn't meet, get assaulted by, name, or inspire.

Is she one of these gang stalking people, or is this a whole other branch of crazy?

She's a moderately unique bit of intensely depressing crazy.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Rahonavis posted:

This is my first ever encounter with this blog. So she thinks she's the Amy Lee from Evanescence, is that the deal? Mental illness is a terrible thing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

This is my first ever encounter with this blog. So she thinks she's the Amy Lee from Evanescence, is that the deal? Mental illness is a terrible thing.

no she gave the Amy Lee from Evanescence her name to use as a stage name, also she wrote all of Evanescence's songs and also wrote or inspired every song and movie you've ever heard/seen in your life.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Alaois posted:

no she gave the Amy Lee from Evanescence her name to use as a stage name, also she wrote all of Evanescence's songs and also wrote or inspired every song and movie you've ever heard/seen in your life.

its true

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Alaois posted:

That explains so much.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's the medical term for that kind of illness?

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

Brain dead

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Jay Rust posted:

Some sort of Narcissistic Disorder I would imagine. Anyways, are there people who believe her? Does she have internet/real life followers? If so, I would be interested to see the crazy thatthose people have.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Alaois posted:

And been gang raped by every famous male you have ever heard/seen in your life.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It is sad, but also hilarious. Delusions must loving suck.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The f plus did an amazing episode on her.

http://thefpl.us/episode/97

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Elblanco posted:

The f plus did an amazing episode on her.

http://thefpl.us/episode/97

gently caress the f plus.

Don't just read this poo poo in an enthusiastic manner. Make each episode 3 hours, read a bit, then have a panel discussion about why it's hosed up.

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 09:55 on Sep 10, 2015

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kizudarake posted:

Don't just read this poo poo in an enthusiastic manner. Make each episode 3 hours, read a bit, then have a panel discussion about why it's hosed up.

Uh I don't think the F Plus is an investigative journalism panel show, nor do I think it aspires to be.

Do you think Lou Reads should end his show with a monologue about the folly of man?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Reading that Amy Lee blog reminds me of a locum pharmacist I occasionally work with. She seems in every way completely rational and ordinary, but she is wholly convinced that the police are in a conspiracy with one of the major drug companies to keep her from revealing the dangerous side-effects of a medication. She's shown me letters from the police that supposedly prove this and are actually just 'We looked into this and found no evidence that any officers were hanging around outside your house all night, sorry' notes. It's deeply weird. Like, she works safely and well as a pharmacist but get talking to her for more than ten minutes and poo poo gets peculiar.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

kizudarake posted:

mods change kizudarake's name to PODCAST ARBITER

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Please do.

Postal Parcel posted:

Today on the fplus, we have as our special guest 69Maggots69 to talk with us on the logistics and efficacy of receiving fellatio from maggots and other insects. Then we'll have a discussion on how sticking a bad dragon(TM) dildo into your anal orifice may lead to undesired results.

The episode description from the earlier link reads:

quote:

""Culture" is a tricky word, but it best describes our modern popular arts and entertainment, regardless of quality. When it comes to music, the disposable profit-motivated pop music released over the past 60 years has done far more to influence our way of life than the hundreds of years of finely crafted art before it. Maybe this is a condemnation of the direction humanity has taken, or maybe it's that it's way more fun to listen to "Shoop" than it is to read Leaves of Grass. But have you ever taken a moment to consider who was really responsible for all of this? Because it turns out it's just some lady with a blog. This week, we're writing the definitive Nirvana biopic."

That, combined with "the f plus had an episode about<hosed up poo poo> " implies that they're going to be actually talking about the hosed up poo poo, not "a bunch of people with lovely microphones and lovely internet connections are on a Skype call reading hosed up internet posts."

I expected the episodes to be more like this thread, honestly.

Anil Dikshit has a new favorite as of 15:29 on Sep 10, 2015

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

kizudarake posted:

Today on the fplus, we have as our special guest 69Maggots69 to talk with us on the logistics and efficacy of receiving fellatio from maggots and other insects. Then we'll have a discussion on how sticking a bad dragon(TM) dildo into your anal orifice may lead to undesired results.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
"The f plus has an episode about Atlas Shrugged: <link>"

*click link*

"For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are perishing-you who dread knowledge -I am the man who will now tell you.”
The chief engineer was the only one able to move; he ran to a television set and struggled frantically with its dials. But the screen remained empty; the speaker had not chosen to be seen. Only his voice filled the airways of the country-of the world, thought the chief engineer-sounding as if he were speaking here, in this room, not to a group, but to one man; it was not the tone of addressing a meeting, but the tone of addressing a mind.
“You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that man’s sins are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the virtues you demanded. Since virtue, to you, consists of sacrifice, you have demanded more sacrifices at every successive disaster. In the name of a return to morality, you have sacrificed all those evils which you held as the cause of your plight. You have sacrificed justice to mercy. You have sacrificed independence to unity. You have sacrificed reason to faith. You have sacrificed wealth to need. You have sacrificed self-esteem to self-denial. You have sacrificed happiness to duty.<snip>

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kizudarake posted:

Please do.

That, combined with "the f plus had an episode about<hosed up poo poo> " implies that they're going to be actually talking about the hosed up poo poo, not "a bunch of people with lovely microphones and lovely internet connections are on a Skype call reading hosed up internet posts."

Ahahah you loving moron.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Please do.

the reason the f plus is good is because it's nothing like these lovely-rear end threads that beat topics into the dirt repeatedly and endlessly

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Let's all have a reasonable discussion about the historical impact of giantess fetishism.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The best fplus is the one about Xbox achievement forums

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

there's a reason the F-Plus has 2 succinct episodes about TVTropes that are both funny, as opposed to 6 threads that went on way too long and eventually were just pulling out the floorboards and yelling "LOOK HOW DIRTY IT IS UNDER HERE!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Lady Naga posted:

Let's all have a reasonable discussion about the historical impact of giantess fetishism.

it explains donquixote

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Alaois posted:

there's a reason the F-Plus has 2 succinct episodes about TVTropes that are both funny, as opposed to 6 threads that went on way too long and eventually were just pulling out the floorboards and yelling "LOOK HOW DIRTY IT IS UNDER HERE!"

e: though I should say I still follow threads even when they bloat

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

I listened to five minutes of an F Plus episode about pick up artists, realized there wasn't a single woman on the panel, and decided it wasn't worth my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kizudarake posted:

Please do.

http://thefpl.us/also-made/irregular-1
http://thefpl.us/also-made/irregular-2
http://thefpl.us/also-made/irregular-3

There's a reason they only did three.

• Locked thread