Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

steinrokkan posted:

An accidental tribute to HR Giger

I don't know how you gently caress up a lamb cake so badly but still get it to stand. We made these every year, they always came out tasty but never stood up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Picnic Princess posted:

Someone on my instagram posted this one.

That 'butter' though. And does no one own any real dishes anymore?

Wait - I know why those beans look familiar!

They are legitimately pretty good, which is something you can't say for most stuff out of a can.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

steinrokkan posted:

An accidental tribute to HR Giger

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I might have something to contribute when my wife comes home from work in a few hours. I attempted to make the following recipe:
http://cookpad.com/recipe/3187692

It starts with two things I'm not very good at, then requires adding a lot of poo poo I'm not familiar with the taste of. So it's not like the perfect awesome Sloppy Joes I made yesterday where I could season to taste. This poo poo tastes bland, and I'm hoping leaving it marinate for like another 3 hours will do the trick. I don't have high hopes, though. #cookingforwaifu

edit: This marks the first week of living with my wife, and I'm unemployed so I'm in charge of the cooking. I finally get to really show off my cooking skills, but they fall apart real hard when it comes to making the Japanese dishes she requests.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 08:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

ErIog posted:

I might have something to contribute when my wife comes home from work in a few hours. I attempted to make the following recipe:

It starts with two things I'm not very good at, then requires adding a lot of poo poo I'm not familiar with the taste of. So it's not like the perfect awesome Sloppy Joes I made yesterday where I could season to taste. This poo poo tastes bland, and I'm hoping leaving it marinate for like another 3 hours will do the trick. I don't have high hopes, though. #cookingforwaifu

I'm on my phone and it auto-translated the page to English without me realizing it, and I swear to god I thought I was having a stroke.

Also this from the cooking tips at the end:

"Garlic disgusting human delicious, yo" :lol:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Yeah, so "garlic" in Japanese is literally "human meat" for some strange reason. I'm surprised the auto-translate couldn't cope with that, but it makes that page pretty hilarious. The person is saying that it still tastes great even if you don't add the garlic.

I'll translate it so that people can better grasp what I've perpetrated.

Cookpad Japan Recipe posted:

Boiled Egg and Chicken Stew

1. Hard-boil eggs, and then peel them.
2. Fry the outside of some small chicken drum sticks.
3. Stew both of those ingredients for 20 minutes in a broth of:

1 cup water
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of Japanese cooking vinegar
1/4 cup of Japanese cooking sake
1/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp of tubed mashed garlic

4. Optionally, after you kill the heat leave it to marinate for as long as you like to improve flavor.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

This has to be a joke.

Although I do admit when I make toasted cheese I burn the bread a little because I like the way it tastes. It's not good toasted cheese unless the bread is a little blackened and the cheese has gone orange and hard.

Mmmmmhpmmmm.

ErIog posted:

Yeah, so "garlic" in Japanese is literally "human meat" for some strange reason. I'm surprised the auto-translate couldn't cope with that, but it makes that page pretty hilarious. The person is saying that it still tastes great even if you don't add the garlic.

I'll translate it so that people can better grasp what I've perpetrated.

:barf:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
The linguistic root of ニンニク is 忍辱, not 人肉! The pronunciation for the latter is actually "jinniku." :eng101:

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

ErIog posted:

edit: This marks the first week of living with my wife, and I'm unemployed so I'm in charge of the cooking. I finally get to really show off my cooking skills, but they fall apart real hard when it comes to making the Japanese dishes she requests.

Interested to know where you think you went wrong with this. Boiling eggs and browning chicken?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I'm not sure either, the instructions seem really simple. Erlog, the recipe does mention that lengthening the final simmer and leaving to sit after cooking will intensify the flavor so maybe that'll fix your problem.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It's probably going to be bland, though, because soy and garlic both get disproportionately absorbed by eggs.

Aren't wieners by definition Austrian in origin, not German?

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress

Rice a Roni (Also a childhood favorite!), Shrimp, I think the blob in the middle is Salmon?

cash crab posted:

BIRTH

It's also my roommate's birthday. :allears: Your name isn't Dave by any chance?

e: I have since learned that you are a woman and are likely not named Dave. Happy Birthday, not-Dave!

My name is Cobina. Hence, Bina.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
How about some oddly local food wierdness, that I first encountered when I lived in the uncivilized southern parts of Sweden. I blame the corrupting influence of Denmark.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Hakkesshu posted:

If you're gonna eat a dog in Germany you get a loving currywurst, that's the good poo poo

Common hot dog equivalents you will usually see in different parts of Germany:

Thüringer Rostbratwurst:

Most people only eat it with mustard, though there are ketchup bottles at the stand, too.

Nürnberger Rostbratwürstchen:

Rote Wurst im Brötchen:

Typical hot dogs (Wiener sausage in a long roll) are very unusual, you normally only see them at Ikea. Currywurst is mostly eaten on a paper plate with curry sauce and often with french fries, but rarely in a roll:

DekeThornton posted:

How about some oddly local food wierdness, that I first encountered when I lived in the uncivilized southern parts of Sweden. I blame the corrupting influence of Denmark.

I remember doing this as a child:

Real contribution:

Rollmops is pickled, sour herring rolled around a pickle or an onion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Currywurst belongs nowhere near this thread. If I could eat nothing but currywurst and not end up a complete being made of scurvy, I would. :colbert:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
A video for this thread, with appropriate soundtrack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWI6OiJvPY

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ErIog posted:

So did you end up having to replicate something for Keiko or what?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DekeThornton posted:

Oh gently caress I'm generally not squeamish but just watching this is making me nauseous. That is by far one of the grossest things I have ever seen.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

DekeThornton posted:

Cannibal Ferox 2 looking good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DekeThornton posted:

Would. Absolutely loving would.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Currywurst belongs nowhere near this thread. If I could eat nothing but currywurst and not end up a complete being made of scurvy, I would. :colbert:

Currywurst is fantastic.
If you are lucky you can get them at the continental christmas markets in the UK and it really doesn't matter to me that you are paying ~5 times the price as you would in Germany.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

DekeThornton posted:

I'm pretty sure this is literally a Muppet Show sketch.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Honj Steak posted:

Thüringer Rostbratwurst:

Most people only eat it with mustard, though there are ketchup bottles at the stand, too.

Rote Wurst im Brötchen:

Typical hot dogs (Wiener sausage in a long roll) are very unusual, you normally only see them at Ikea.

So the German sausage sizzle eh?

BBQ'd beef/pork sausage on a piece of white bread with some tomato or BBQ sauce. Some times mustard if you like it. Also sometimes fried onion if your sausage sizzle is being fancy; but it's always an up hill battle to find people willing to cut the fuckers up.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

DekeThornton posted:

What is that man doing to that penis?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I am not entirely sure what this is meant to be, but it worries me a bit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I am not entirely sure what this is meant to be, but it worries me a bit.

Loose Corn Sushi.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Gridlocked posted:

Loose Corn Sushi.
With mayo.

It's delicious.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Honj Steak posted:

Real contribution:

This doesn't belong in this thread.

On the other hand, they might look unapetizing:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Honj Steak posted:

Is there an accepted English name for the thing in the middle? I... uh... only know the Dutch and German names. I guess Mallomars, but those have a weird cookie base that is different from like the marzipan or shortbread you get elsewhere.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Honj Steak posted:

Thüringer Rostbratwurst:

Rote Wurst im Brötchen:

Typical hot dogs (Wiener sausage in a long roll) are very unusual, you normally only see them at Ikea. Currywurst is mostly eaten on a paper plate with curry sauce and often with french fries, but rarely in a roll:

Real contribution:

Would. But I love me some pickled herring.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

Kakairo posted:

As the resident Chicago Dog Hitler, I must inform you that you are wrong. I am on the record in this here thread as saying that you can put whatever you want on a hot dog, but if you put ketchup on it you can't call it a Chicago dog. Who needs ketchup when you have motherfucking tomatoes?? Yes that relish is neon, as Da Coach intended!

I hereby submit to the AFP-thread that chicago dogs should from now on be called by a more suitable name, clown dogs.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

I don't even know what the gently caress

I bet it writhes just a little, right? Right? :stonk:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Is there an accepted English name for the thing in the middle? I... uh... only know the Dutch and German names. I guess Mallomars, but those have a weird cookie base that is different from like the marzipan or shortbread you get elsewhere.

Er.... in certain parts of the south, they're called 'witch tits' or... well, it isn't nice, but also 'friend of the family toes' .

The south isn't nice.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

It would be so awkward if you asked for a delicious friend of the family toe and got a brazil nut instead of a chocolatey treat.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

DicktheCat posted:

Er.... in certain parts of the south, they're called 'witch tits' or... well, it isn't nice, but also 'friend of the family toes' .

The south isn't nice.

Yeah, they've got racist names in Europe too. Loosely translated to 'negro buns' in Danish. The more PC term is 'cream buns', though they aren't really buns and they aren't very creamy either.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Hakkesshu posted:

Yeah, they've got racist names in Europe too. Loosely translated to 'negro buns' in Danish. The more PC term is 'cream buns', though they aren't really buns and they aren't very creamy either.

In dutch they are/were called "negerinnentetten" or "negerzoen' - "negress tits" and "niggerkiss" respectfully. I've seen them mostly called melo-cakes these days.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
In the UK we have "tea cakes", which are a biscuit base topped with mallow and covered entirely with milk chocolate, which I assume is what the mallocake things are?

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

OctoberBlues posted:

It would be so awkward if you asked for a delicious friend of the family toe and got a brazil nut instead of a chocolatey treat.

LOL my mom still calls brazil nuts by "friend of the family toes". I just end up sighing and wondering why it is that the older she gets she more racist she gets :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Roro posted:

In the UK we have "tea cakes", which are a biscuit base topped with mallow and covered entirely with milk chocolate, which I assume is what the mallocake things are?

I think in most of Europe and Scandinavia the bottom layer is marzipan instead of cookie/biscuit, though.

Now I want Mallomars (US version of this) but also Jaffa Cakes even though that's jam rather than marshmallow.

• Locked thread