Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mlmp08 posted:

So in which of those incidents was the army shooting strikers? Cursory research shows that after shots were fired by either police or strike-breakers in the instances cited above, the army was sent in to help stop the shooting. Also it's pretty loaded to refer to using tear gas as gassing someone while referencing WW1 vets. No denying that MacArthur was a real prick during the Bonus Army demonstrations though. So I guess 83 years ago, the army was used to not shoot strikers is a pretty good way of arguing that the army are the guys shooting strikers in the United States.

The Army Air Force actually bombed the workers on Blair Mountain. Here's one holding up a dud that didn't explode:

If you really don't think the army/national guard wouldn't violently put down a labor strike then I don't know what to tell you. The fact it hasn't happened in some arbitrarily decided number doesn't diminish the fact they would, also that the police are so militarized today (and almost indistinguishable) that it likely would be done by them first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Rand alPaul posted:

The Army Air Force actually bombed the workers on Blair Mountain. Here's one holding up a dud that didn't explode:

If you really don't think the army/national guard wouldn't violently put down a labor strike then I don't know what to tell you. The fact it hasn't happened in some arbitrarily decided number doesn't diminish the fact they would, also that the police are so militarized today (and almost indistinguishable) that it likely would be done by them first.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEb0VFhrl_k

It's really good video, but it seems like a lot of effort to smack down Cheney. I wonder what the motivation was. Who cares what Cheney says these days and will those that do really be influenced either way by this video? Or is it just to rally the base?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Volcott posted:

Right, because the migrants in question will be sent to death camps if found.

For those that didn't see the movie "Valkyrie" this is not so much the Nazi community as actors portraying the people behind the July 20 plot to assassinate Hitler. It came very close to killing him but failed, and it cost the conspirators and many associated with them their lives.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Rand alPaul posted:

quote:

On September 1-2, intermittent skirmishing took place as the miners probed the positions of the defending force. Not content with rifle and machine gun fire to repulse the miners, the coal company operators associated with the Logan County force at one point arranged for commercial aircraft to drop homemade bombs filled with nails and metal fragments upon the miners. The bombs missed their targets or failed to explode. This incident gave rise to a short-lived rumor that the army had bombed the miners.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Again, you're bringing up things that happened 94 years ago and you're getting the facts wrong to boot. The military didn't drop bombs at Blair mountain, privately hired civilian planes did.

West Virginia history posted:

On September 1, DeHavilland DH-4B bombers, each equipped with front- and rear-mounted machine guns and carrying tear gas and fragmentation bombs, began the three hundred and twenty mile flight from Langley Field to Charleston. After spending the night at Roanoke, Virginia, the planes crossed over the Appalachians and by late afternoon, eleven had landed at Kanawha Field. Of the twenty-one planes requested, only seventeen were in proper condition and managed to take off from Langley Field. Two planes experienced mechanical difficulties at Roanoke and one crashed there on take-off. Another bomber experienced engine difficulty over West Virginia and crash-landed near Beckley, while two others became lost in dense fog and ended up landing in Mooresburg, Tennessee. Four additional aircraft, twin-engine "box-like Martin bombers," from Aberdeen, Maryland, were also ordered to Kanawha Field but only three survived the flight. The total number of army aircraft in West Virginia by September 2 stood at fourteen. The bombers and their crews became an instant hit with the local population who had never seen so many military aircraft at one time in one place. Although neither the DeHavillands or Martins ever used their armament, they performed several reconnaissance missions and enjoyed the unique distinction of being the first air unit to participate in an American civil disturbance. Mitchell subsequently boasted how the "`Mingo War' provided an excellent example of the potentialities of air power, that can go wherever there is air, no matter whether they be over water or land."42

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doh, you're right. They only conducted surveillance.

Armyman25 posted:

Again, you're bringing up things that happened 94 years ago and you're getting the facts wrong to boot. The military didn't drop bombs at Blair mountain, privately hired civilian planes did.

You're right, the army has become way less violent in the last 94 years, forget I disparaged The Troops on a holiday that isn't even about them.

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 9, 2015

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rand alPaul posted:

Doh, you're right. They only conducted surveillance.

You're right, the army has become way less violent in the last 94 years, forget I disparaged The Troops on a holiday that isn't even about them.

You're a very poor loser.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Armyman25 posted:

Yeah I totally got bested, the army/national guard would never shoot anyone striking, I mean it's not like strikes have gone away (and become non-violent) for a variety of other reasons; it's because the noble american soldier would never turn his weapon upon his fellow citizen. :patriot: :911:

spacetoaster posted:

Somebody drew a cartoon man. That counts as evidence.

The cartoon is saying what Armyman said, so I don't get this but okay. :shrug:

Rand alPaul fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 9, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Armyman25 posted:

Somebody drew a cartoon man. That counts as evidence.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
The US Military would not be used to put down striking workers in 21st century america

They would not be needed.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

confused posted:

It's really good video, but it seems like a lot of effort to smack down Cheney. I wonder what the motivation was. Who cares what Cheney says these days and will those that do really be influenced either way by this video? Or is it just to rally the base?

Him and his wife have a book on the NYT bestseller list. Something about American being so cool and just.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Beastie posted:

Him and his wife have a book on the NYT bestseller list. Something about American being so cool and just.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbLD2JyFAlE

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

confused posted:

https://vine.co/v/ejZ6XYrdFDh

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hubis posted:

The US Military would not be used to put down striking workers in 21st century america

They would not be needed.

The US military unironically has much stricter rules about shooting citizens and enforcing civil law than police do, so yes. Maybe next Rand alPaul can get mad about pollsters because 100 years ago they didn't let women vote. The US military is more likely to kill a US citizen when some boozed up service member drives their Mustang into some poor sap at 1 AM on the weekend than in a strike or protest.

A Brigadier General forcing big government's will on a Governor:

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Shut up about Army union busting. Post Political Pics.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Code Pink protester crashes Dick Cheney speech, shows off protest banner, superior grip strength.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
According to reddit this is Bernie Sanders walking to work today.

Also :lol:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Rand alPaul posted:

According to reddit this is Bernie Sanders walking to work today.

Biggie got his back.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice

Jeb!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Former President Richard Nixon is my favorite parody twitter account.

https://twitter.com/dick_nixon

If you're ever bored, check out the gift shop at Nixon's library. It's the oddest assortment of goods.

Also, the queen did a thing. She's a pretty good queen. God save that queen.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Didn't know the KKK operated outside the US. It would have to in order to promote imperialism.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Kopijeger posted:

Didn't know the KKK operated outside the US. It would have to in order to promote imperialism.

I'm glad you learned something today Kopijeger

The White Pacific : U.S. Imperialism and Black Slavery in the South Seas After the Civil War (2007)

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Yesss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjuA03FlXiU

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Exclamation Marx posted:

I'm glad you learned something today Kopijeger

The White Pacific : U.S. Imperialism and Black Slavery in the South Seas After the Civil War (2007)

Wiki says it was swiftly supressed by British authoritites, so that's probably not what Soviet propagandists had in mind.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Soviet agitrop is often beautiful.

Years ago, a poster named "massolit" put together a big collection of soviet posters in a torrent file- lots of obscure, high-res ones from every era. At some point over the years I lost the files, except a select few I was using for a project. Here's some:

I found a direct link to it in an old archived LF thread, but unfortunately the torrent tracker it was on is now some malware site.

I would love it if someone could upload it again- there were a lot of really gorgeous images, especially the art which celebrated the Soviet space program.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
http://i.tapons.com//Dont-tread-on...oh_....png

modnote: apparently this image is giving some people antivirus alerts, click at your own risk etc.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Sep 11, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Elderly Sikh man beaten, called "Bin Laden" (Chicago)

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Trump went on stage to REM’s “It’s the End of the World as we Know It (and I Feel Fine).” Could this get more surreal? I look forward to Trump’s acceptance speech at the Republican nominating convention set to RATM’s “Know Your Enemy.” I'd poo poo my pants if he did that.

Max Blumenthal riling them up as is his way: :nms:

Random poo poo:

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 10, 2015

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

Dilkington posted:

Soviet agitrop is often beautiful.

Years ago, a poster named "massolit" put together a big collection of soviet posters in a torrent file- lots of obscure, high-res ones from every era. At some point over the years I lost the files, except a select few I was using for a project. Here's some:

I found a direct link to it in an old archived LF thread, but unfortunately the torrent tracker it was on is now some malware site.

I would love it if someone could upload it again- there were a lot of really gorgeous images, especially the art which celebrated the Soviet space program.

I don't know about the torrent, but I do have a bunch of hi-res space race posters that I've been using as desktop wallpapers, I've uploaded them here. Enjoy dude.

http://imgur.com/a/pupER

Hellequin fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 10, 2015

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:belarus:

alice_practice
Oct 2, 2013

StickySweater posted:

dead children

wouldn't mind a warning or spoiler tag on that.

Continuing soviet propaganda chat, this was always my favourite:

I think it's just the composition that's so good

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Exclamation Marx posted:

Elderly Sikh man beaten, called "Bin Laden" (Chicago)

Dang. That must have been some tough 17 year old.

Should have stood his ground.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

• Locked thread