Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I don't think I heard that.

I believe the reason why they encrypted the data was because they wanted to keep the data accessible while Evil Corp was still in the dark. They aren't going to delete the data and then encrypt it because it would raise flags if someone saw it in the deleted state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neither of those are a reason to encrypt rather than just overwrite, which is easier. :colbert:

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Maybe saying that the data is encrypted is just a measure to have some leverage down the road, whether or not it's legitimate leverage, in that fsociety could say "do [X] and we'll decrypt" or some poo poo. There could be information in the data that could be used for other things. We clearly haven't seen the end game yet, so who knows.

Who cares, really? This a Great Show and I can't wait until S2.

Also, my girlfriend called it that Darlene is Elliot's sister the moment she was on screen for the first time. She said "they look too much alike, she has to be his Sis". I hate it love it when she's right :P

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 8, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
They encrypted it out of a sense of dramatic flair. "Your data is still there... but you will never see it again! :smug:"

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They probably stole the idea from ransomware like crytolocker.

I bet it'll be a plot point in the next season where there is a "mystical genuis" or something that can break the encryption.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Didn't they specifically say in a previous episode that the encryption key was self-deleting once all the data was encrypted?

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Azubah posted:

The dog still has a micro SD card in him depending how long ago that was. Douche Dog Man could potentially have it if he steals the dog back.

There's your danger.

Holy hell I just remembered this. Chekhov's bowels.

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.
Popcorn Gun hasn't been handled by all the party guests, so despite the best attempts to destroy solid evidence at the arcade site through heavy traffic there's still that concretely tying Darlene and Eliot to the whole bag of cats.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Cuddly Tumblemumps posted:

Popcorn Gun hasn't been handled by all the party guests, so despite the best attempts to destroy solid evidence at the arcade site through heavy traffic there's still that concretely tying Darlene and Eliot to the whole bag of cats.

While true, why would Darlene not take the gun out of the popcorn machine during the site cleanup (assuming it didn't go missing during the three day gap)?

Cuddly Tumblemumps
Aug 23, 2013

Postmodernity means the exhilarating freedom to pursue anything, yet mind-boggling uncertainty as to what is worth pursuing and in the name of what one should pursue it.

whowhatwhere posted:

While true, why would Darlene not take the gun out of the popcorn machine during the site cleanup (assuming it didn't go missing during the three day gap)?

Because it would be a dramatic misstep to provide conflict in coming story arc telecinema word analysis blah blah. And/or she was so overwhelmed by the processes that the gun being out of sight meant out of mind.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfdEaK8h2XE

Mr_Robot_Season_2_Fan_Theories.flv

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

they specifically used RSA encryption, then destroying the key. 'encrypting their poo poo for them with your key' is in the conciousness lately with the insanely successful Bitlocker ransomware.

but i think this is how they get out:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

You mean

Mr_R0b0t_534s0n_2_f4n_th30r135.flv

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Subjunctive posted:

Neither of those are a reason to encrypt rather than just overwrite, which is easier. :colbert:

One of the great things about iOS is that it's remote wipe is nearly instant. Just delete key. There's no "pull the plug (or battery) holy poo poo it's deleting everything because I can see it's deleting things from the UI or something like that" time. Overwrite takes time to delete. It's easier but far more noticeable and would give time for the target to respond.

Also, I look forward to the plot point that the Dark Army was in probably already in there long enough to retrieve the key from memory while it was encrypting all the poo poo. They probably knew it was happening and were in a very good position to capture the key.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 9, 2015

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

crazysim posted:

One of the great things about iOS is that it's remote wipe is nearly instant. Just delete key. There's no "pull the plug (or battery) holy poo poo it's deleting everything because I can see it's deleting things from the UI or something like that" time. Overwrite takes time to delete. It's easier but far more noticeable and would give time for the target to respond.

Also, I look forward to the plot point that the Dark Army was in probably already in there long enough to retrieve the key from memory while it was encrypting all the poo poo. They probably knew it was happening and were in a very good position to capture the key.

That's not how it works. They would only see the public key, which does essentially nothing for you. Public key encryption uses different information to encrypt and decrypt.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Tyrell is still alive and he has the decrypt key and will use that to get his job back.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Xyven posted:

That's not how it works. They would only see the public key, which does essentially nothing for you. Public key encryption uses different information to encrypt and decrypt.

If they're encrypting but want to provide continued service, they need to see the private key. You need that key to encrypt *and* to provide continued service of post-encrypted materials while it's encrypting so there's no noticeable service interruption at Evil Corp.

edit: Or maybe they just didn't bother. What is the size of the data that catalogs most of the world's debts anyway? How long were they encrypting? Less than 3 days? What's Evil Corp's response time to service downtime?

crazysim fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 9, 2015

Woden
May 6, 2006

Laserface posted:

Tyrell is still alive and he has the decrypt key and will use that to get his job back.

I hope not, a post debt wipe world would be a much more interesting space to explore.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Tyrell is Space Ghost and we're finally getting another season of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

crazysim posted:

edit: Or maybe they just didn't bother. What is the size of the data that catalogs most of the world's debts anyway? How long were they encrypting? Less than 3 days? What's Evil Corp's response time to service downtime?

Last year National Australia Bank had a massive outage that lasted over 10 days when a system mangled their main data stores. Millions of transactions were corrupted and it took a while for them to recover everyone's banking details to a usable state. ATMs, direct debits, credit cards, and the works were all offline and many people had significant troubles with everyday banking. Additionally it also caused problems for companies that were using NAB payment gateways for their e-commerce business.

My dad was affected, but had money in non NAB bank accounts to see him through. Not everyone was lucky. Although NAB were willing to compensate people that incurred fees as a result of their systems not working.

This was just Australia, and less than 20% of the population (so less than 5m accounts maybe). I'd say that something happening to a super conglomerate would be far more explosive. If anything, Mr Robot downplayed the insanity an event like that would cause.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

More interesting to me, If the point is to not have it be recoverable, though, there's no reason to encrypt at all. Just overwrite with zeroes or a random pattern. So there must be some circumstance under which fsociety would reverse the encryption, and someone must be safeguarding the key. Many possible plot hooks in that space.

Actually deleting stuff from a harddrive to the point where it isn't recoverable takes quite a lot of time. I don't remember the specific number but I think the military standard is to overwrite the data around 30 times.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I still want to know why Darlene spoke completely differently to Elliot than to Mr Robot in that one scene where she talks to both of them.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

crazysim posted:

If they're encrypting but want to provide continued service, they need to see the private key. You need that key to encrypt *and* to provide continued service of post-encrypted materials while it's encrypting so there's no noticeable service interruption at Evil Corp.

This is why. If you start batch deleting or overwriting things someone will catch on when stuff stops working and take their systems offline. If you instead crypto the entire drive slowly while keeping the encryption key in memory and passing all file reads to the encrypted sections through your rootkit which silently decrypts it, you will have the time necessary to get EVERYTHING. Then you delete the encryption key, write over it a few times for good measure, and everything goes tits up instantly.

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

Tiggum posted:

I still want to know why Darlene spoke completely differently to Elliot than to Mr Robot in that one scene where she talks to both of them.

Didn't they have a heated argument which she loses because he calls rank then she being dispirited, pleads with him one last time to change his mind? It makes sense to me if it's one person.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xoidanor posted:

Actually deleting stuff from a harddrive to the point where it isn't recoverable takes quite a lot of time. I don't remember the specific number but I think the military standard is to overwrite the data around 30 times.

From the perspective of laboratory recovery, encrypting the data is at best like overwriting it once with a random pattern. (Modern NSA standards are actually that a single overwrite gives you as much as doing many, but for classified material you have to degauss or physically destroy the media.)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Talorat posted:

This is why. If you start batch deleting or overwriting things someone will catch on when stuff stops working and take their systems offline. If you instead crypto the entire drive slowly while keeping the encryption key in memory and passing all file reads to the encrypted sections through your rootkit which silently decrypts it, you will have the time necessary to get EVERYTHING. Then you delete the encryption key, write over it a few times for good measure, and everything goes tits up instantly.

That makes more sense to me, but if that's the case, then why would they find only dummy data if they managed to decrypt it? How does the dummy data get into place?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The cut to the popcorn machine while where is my mind by the pixies was playing (the song that plays after jack kills Tyler by shooting himself in the head in fight club) seems to heavily foreshadow the involvement of the gun in the fate of Tyrell. Not gonna say Tyrell is definitely dead but things don't exactly look good for him.

As has been said Tyrell is a real guy. No one has really pointed to it as evidence that Tyrell is a personality but the strongest evidence of Tyrell being a personality of Elliott is Tyrell's private conversation with Mr Robot in the limo. A plausible explanation for that conversation is that when Tyrell met with Mr Robot and said he knew his secret he was referring to the fact that he knew Elliott (Mr Robot) had set up Terry Colby.

Anyway that's my Tyrell hot take. I'm glad someone made American Psycho Fight Club with fairly realistic computer hacking thrown in, Christian Slater as Brad Pitt, and a story that seems ready to span multiple seasons without totally falling apart or becoming repetitive.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

That makes more sense to me, but if that's the case, then why would they find only dummy data if they managed to decrypt it? How does the dummy data get into place?

If they encrypted everything they could shut off access to the data without deleting the key while overwriting the data inside the encrypted volume. Then the system becomes unusable as soon as the decryption stops running but the key isn't actually deleted until multiple overwrites have completed. That way there is an instant, nearly irreversible shut off of access to the data hopefully followed by the time needed to completely destroy it. As someone mentioned this does leave the system open to having the key extracted from memory by an attacker like the dark army but if the overwrites occurred the data is gone anyway. White Rose has a corporate rivalry with ecorp anyway, it seems like he wants to see them brought low and has little interest in saving them.

adrenaline_junket
May 29, 2005
gotta get a rush!

Dren posted:

As someone mentioned this does leave the system open to having the key extracted from memory by an attacker like the dark army but if the overwrites occurred the data is gone anyway. White Rose has a corporate rivalry with ecorp anyway, it seems like he wants to see them brought low and has little interest in saving them.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Whiterose and the dark army that did the hack on the live data centres in China. FSociety only had to tamper with the offsite tape backups. Whiterose would have already had the encryption keys as they are the ones that perpetrated the hack in the first place... Unless I'm missing something?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

adrenaline_junket posted:

If I'm not mistaken, it was Whiterose and the dark army that did the hack on the live data centres in China. FSociety only had to tamper with the offsite tape backups. Whiterose would have already had the encryption keys as they are the ones that perpetrated the hack in the first place... Unless I'm missing something?

I'm not sure if there were live datacenters in China. Maybe just backups but I don't recall. The live datacenter they called out was the one in the USA (at Dulles I think?) and the hack there was perpetrated by fsociety activating server CS30 (the server with the worm that Elliott left behind).

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Longshot, but would anyone know if someone has created a 3d file of the FSociety mask?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
The dog guy will never find Elliott because like any good hacker, he first routed through InterNIC

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Subjunctive posted:

From the perspective of laboratory recovery, encrypting the data is at best like overwriting it once with a random pattern. (Modern NSA standards are actually that a single overwrite gives you as much as doing many, but for classified material you have to degauss or physically destroy the media.)

What ^^ said. Formal procedure in our shop for classified touched storage is one wipe with random pattern, degauss, followed by removal by authorized vendor to physically destroy.

One of the things that points to the strength of this show is the number of directions it can go to explore plot points or observations left open. Elliots sanity, who is and isn't really there, and what roles specific characters are playing as cogs in an overall scheme are all valid directions for further exploration. I sincerely hope that at least some of what Elliot is seeing is valid, the complete daydream angle, even if well written, would personally be a huge letdown.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CrushedWill posted:

. I sincerely hope that at least some of what Elliot is seeing is valid, the complete daydream angle, even if well written, would personally be a huge letdown.

The daydreams of a Tier 1 helpdesk jockey.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The daydreams of a Tier 1 helpdesk jockey.

Ironic new thread title if I've ever heard it :)

e: also that would get Slater's name removed, he is easily the weakest link in this show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

stoops posted:

Longshot, but would anyone know if someone has created a 3d file of the FSociety mask?

I really love the Fsociety mask, of all the attempts at making a non-copyright-infringing version of the Guy Fawkes mask for fictional Anonymous analogs having an evil version of Rich Uncle Pennybags from Monopoly is definitely the most inspired.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Xoidanor posted:

A single overwrite pass is impossible to recover from. DoD standard where I live is a single pass unless the drive is smaller than 15GB or was manufactured before 2001 (and then it's 3-passes.) Drives of this age could be of such low density that you may get off-track data, but it has never been proven on anything that is commonly in use these days. I don't know anywhere that uses disks of that vintage, and you certainly won't see them in a top-tier data centre.

Disks rated at Top Secret or similar clearance are treated differently. They are usually physically destroyed, and the only reason you'd wipe them beforehand is to protect against loss or theft of the disks on their way to the press/furnace.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Gromit posted:

Disks rated at Top Secret or similar clearance are treated differently. They are usually physically destroyed, and the only reason you'd wipe them beforehand is to protect against loss or theft of the disks on their way to the press/furnace.

I suspect a lot of the reason for that isn't that they think that anyone could ever recover the data, but that the cost of a single hard drive compared to the damage that could be done by a leak of top secret data means that they aren't ever going to take that chance.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Security is all about changing the economics of the attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Talorat posted:

I suspect a lot of the reason for that isn't that they think that anyone could ever recover the data, but that the cost of a single hard drive compared to the damage that could be done by a leak of top secret data means that they aren't ever going to take that chance.

Yeah. And by physically destroying the disk you aren't relying on the minimum bid contractor doing his job right in the wiping process. Easier just to melt the thing to slag.

• Locked thread