Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

surebet posted:

honestly my z30 gave me 2 years of decent service, especially with android 4.4 running in a sandbox on it

if i can't bring it back to life i'm looking at going droid though, it's been fun but yeah it's time to move on

yes mm interesting tell more about your chronic Bad Purchasing Decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
my iphone says twelve apps need to be updated, but the app store just says it's downloading them and then nothing happens :saddowns:

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

restart the phone

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

I dug through both the simple and advanced settings (already lol) and didn't see it back when I made this decision with my new computer in 2013 so rip vlc

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

surebet posted:

the light that turn on when there's a hardware failure on my blackberry is green

green light of death

way to go rim

does SIC multiwipe or BBswissarmyknife detect the device?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Awia posted:

restart the phone

i've done that a few times already, no luck

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

prefect posted:

i've done that a few times already, no luck

try updating an app via itunes and then syncing it, i remember that working when i had an iphone

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dodoman posted:

try updating an app via itunes and then syncing it, i remember that working when i had an iphone

i've never done that before; i'll give it a shot. thanks

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

i have had to uninstall a bunch of apps and then reinstall it because it was purchased on a different icloud account and would not update?? they were all free apps though but this might help

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

lampey posted:

i have had to uninstall a bunch of apps and then reinstall it because it was purchased on a different icloud account and would not update?? they were all free apps though but this might help

i wound up finding somebody on the internet who said they had the same problem and that disabling time synchronization solved the problem for them. i tried it, and things started downloading and installing :shrug:

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
you know how there are those usb flash drive looking things that fake mouse or keyboard input as pranks or so your screen doesn't sleep?

is there one of those for hdmi to fake a black screen so "no signal" doesn't bounce around

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
the power button

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

you know how there are those usb flash drive looking things that fake mouse or keyboard input as pranks or so your screen doesn't sleep?

is there one of those for hdmi to fake a black screen so "no signal" doesn't bounce around

an av reciever maybe?

or this thing http://skreens.com/ but it would be overkill

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

my fallback is to get a raspberry pi and just program the linux to display all black (that should be easy lol)

i did some searching and with all of the chromecasts and firetv sticks i'm really surprised there isn't a digital picture frame thing that has a usb port on one side and an hdmi port on the other side and you just load it up with pictures of kitties and plug it into any tv

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
what are you doing that you'll want/need an active hdmi signal that displays nothing but black?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

pretty sure you can set a chromecast to display a google photos album

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

what are you doing that you'll want/need an active hdmi signal that displays nothing but black?

it's for work, we have an hdmi switcher for a presentation tv and we want one of the options to be "blank screen" if people need to temporarily blank the screen to pull something up but the switcher tries to be smart and won't switch to an input if there's no signal there

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

it's for work, we have an hdmi switcher for a presentation tv and we want one of the options to be "blank screen" if people need to temporarily blank the screen to pull something up but the switcher tries to be smart and won't switch to an input if there's no signal there

r-pi or android tv stick will be your best bets

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

want to put windows 10 on my buddy's 2009 mbp but its not officially supported in boot camp

is it going to work anyway or no

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

want to put windows 10 on my buddy's 2009 mbp but its not officially supported in boot camp

is it going to work anyway or no

install 7 or 8 and then do the free upgrade

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
yeah you should definitely try to put windows 10 on a mbp that apple won't support, what could possibly go wrong

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

dgaf

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

fuckin thing is almost in obsolete zone anyway

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i asked this before but didnt get a clear answer or maybe I just forgot

I need to set up a static website for a business... perhaps incorporate a blog/update section? anyway mostly just about the business and then contacts and yeah.

any wsiwig online tools? who are good for hosting? i shoul;d probably host it here in zn I guess? i'll need a domain.. a host.. and a website..

would it be shameful to use wordpress or tumblr or something and roll my own html/css/whatever its called? at least then updating with news would be very easy??

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ya just use squarespace

no idea what wordpress is like these days but ive been using squarespace for one of my clients and it owns for quick clean sites

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

ya just use squarespace

no idea what wordpress is like these days but ive been using squarespace for one of my clients and it owns for quick clean sites

thanks

would squarespace make it easy enough to add updates or something?? idk if ujpdates would suit the site to be honest but potentially and I wanna be able to add news or whatever maybe??? maybe not.. ill check it out

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just had a quick look.. is it really only suitable for stores? the business is resuscitation training, there is no product to purchase online, just a website for people to view if they are considering contracting the company

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok similar question... what about email for business???

tryna avoid business@gmail.com you

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

echinopsis posted:

ok similar question... what about email for business???

tryna avoid business@gmail.com you

fastmail

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

seconded, you can very easily set up fastmail to work with your own domain(s) and they've been very reliable in my experience

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice work I've heard of them

also that squarespace thing rules. makes a tidy website. seems perfect to be honest

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

echinopsis posted:

thanks

would squarespace make it easy enough to add updates or something?? idk if ujpdates would suit the site to be honest but potentially and I wanna be able to add news or whatever maybe??? maybe not.. ill check it out

echinopsis posted:

just had a quick look.. is it really only suitable for stores? the business is resuscitation training, there is no product to purchase online, just a website for people to view if they are considering contracting the company
ya they heavily advertise to small businesses but its great for anything, wysiwyg blog posting, microsites, w/e

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

They dont really support SSL so keep that in mind

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok... is that an issue for me though?

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
are they going to be running any transactions or some sort of login to a server through the site?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no. basically used to get in contact

a business info/about website

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

echinopsis posted:

no. basically used to get in contact

a business info/about website
so like a link to your email or something, but not a contact form?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um yeah I guess... hadnt thought that far but i fuckin hate contact forms so maybe not

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I've gotten tasked with handling the membership database for a non-profit. It's currently in access and owned by one person, but we need to get it working on some kind of cloud platform that allows me to hook it in to authenticated web forms so other people in the org can easily update records and add things. My experience is mostly on the dba side and not development so anything that is relatively simple for me (an idiot) to get up and running quickly would be a plus. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
azure