Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The loving Piers Anthony Xanth novels were on my high school library's shelves. If those didn't trip any responses, not a goddamn thing will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Recollections from my high-school library include a British 'growing up' book detailing that it was perfectly normal to jack off classmates at boarding school and a Dune sequel involving assassin prostitute priestesses having a sex battle against the protagonist where they each employed insanely skilled sex moves to make the other person come first. My understanding of both England and sex battles would be poorer had those books been censored, I feel.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 8, 2015

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

I remember Flowers in the Attic being in my intermediate library, and that has pretty graphic incest, so far as my 12 year old self can recall.

Fear and Loathing, Naked Lunch, A Clockwork Orange, Tropic of Capricorn: all on the shelf at my college and I'd read them by 4th form. Although to be fair, the urge to seek out books about anything other than rugby was rather low amongst PNBHS students.

It's because this one isn't about white people, isn't it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Meander posted:

Pretty sure you can get it off Amazon still. It's legal to buy it and read it, you just can't sell it or give it to anyone else to read. Really pointless.

Yeah but I really didn't want to pay for it

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

The Rabbi T. White posted:

It's because this one isn't about white people, isn't it?

Ding ding ding we have a winner!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The loving Piers Anthony Xanth novels were on my high school library's shelves. If those didn't trip any responses, not a goddamn thing will.
:stare:

For those not in the know, Anthony is pretty blatantly a paedophile. He writes a lot of sex scenes between children and adult men, and describes the naked bodies of children in a lot of detail. There's rarely any plot reason for this. I remember reading them when I was younger because "yay a book with a monster on the cover!"

I found a monster inside, alright. Fuckin Piers Anthony, man.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If you look at consumer reviews of Into The River now there are a whole bunch of "I'm not a prude but..." and "I'm not a Christian but..." people reviewing it negatively because "well did it really need that sex scene? It just seems a bit unnecessary." Ironically a lot of them argue that it's because the book hadn't been particularly erotic up to that point.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I just close my eyes reeeally tight then teens won't have sex anymore.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

For those not in the know, Anthony is pretty blatantly a paedophile. He writes a lot of sex scenes between children and adult men, and describes the naked bodies of children in a lot of detail. There's rarely any plot reason for this. I remember reading them when I was younger because "yay a book with a monster on the cover!"

Yeah, he was a paedophile. But the worst part was that he was sucking Ayn Rand's cock all the while.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You say that like libertarianism isn't the only thing more closely correlated with paedophilia than Star Trek.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh yeah? How about MRA subscribership?

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

You say that like libertarianism isn't the only thing more closely correlated with paedophilia than Star Trek.
What about a blue star beside the username

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

What about a blue star beside the username

your banned

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
*you're

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I died as I lived: dropping sick burns

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

I hope this is only a joke about that mod and not calling Gene Rodden-whass-his-face a kiddy-fiddler?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

I hope this is only a joke about that mod and not calling Gene Rodden-whass-his-face a kiddy-fiddler?

every pedophile is a star trek fan

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Our welfare system, social justice and freedom are primarily for Kiwis . We need to fiercely protect it. It should be and can be a model that others follow. Demographics is destiny and people are rightly concerned that if our demographics are significantly altered our destiny will be too. Why are these people fleeing their countries? It is their own people they are fleeing from.

Give it a rest stuff. We are doing what we can. Far larger and wealthier countries are standing by and doing nothing.

Where are all these refugees suppose to be housed? Where's the jobs for them? People assume straight away that our country is a bad place for not accepting a lot more. I know that we are pretty slack with allowing refugees to enter New Zealand but I think we really need to think of our own people first. As a country we have our own problems which need to be fixed before worrying about other countries problems.

It's not a competition

Its not a competition! We give more overseas aid then most countries based on size.

looks like we accept alot more than usa,

So using these figures there are actually more countries that take less refugees than New Zealand per head of population .

I hadn't realised that taking refugees was a competition. So what if we don't take as many per capita as other countries, and so what if our quota hasn't risen since 1987? We have to do what is right for us as a nation, not seek to head up a popularity poll.

Perhaps all these other countries have it wrong. We should not be made to feel guilty about this. We do our bit well enough.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy
God save the Queen, what?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Haha no. I have a lot of respect for Gene Roddenberry Piper. It was a reference to

Exclamation Marx posted:

So using these figures there are actually more countries that take less refugees than New Zealand per head of population .

So what if we don't take as many per capita as other countries
This is why National won't lose the next election.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ivor Biggun posted:

Better Queen, than Key.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

Our welfare system, social justice and freedom are primarily for Kiwis . We need to fiercely protect it. It should be and can be a model that others follow. Demographics is destiny and people are rightly concerned that if our demographics are significantly altered our destiny will be too. Why are these people fleeing their countries? It is their own people they are fleeing from.

agreed, the organic unity of the nation state must be maintained

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Exclamation Marx posted:

Give it a rest stuff. We are doing what we can. Far larger and wealthier countries are standing by and doing nothing.

Where are all these refugees suppose to be housed? Where's the jobs for them? People assume straight away that our country is a bad place for not accepting a lot more. I know that we are pretty slack with allowing refugees to enter New Zealand but I think we really need to think of our own people first. As a country we have our own problems which need to be fixed before worrying about other countries problems.

It's not a competition

Its not a competition! We give more overseas aid then most countries based on size.

looks like we accept alot more than usa,

I hadn't realised that taking refugees was a competition. So what if we don't take as many per capita as other countries, and so what if our quota hasn't risen since 1987? We have to do what is right for us as a nation, not seek to head up a popularity poll.

Perhaps all these other countries have it wrong. We should not be made to feel guilty about this. We do our bit well enough.

Whale oil?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

swampland posted:

Whale oil?

Stuff comments.

This is whaleoil

quote:

Key folds, ISIS wins, support crumbles

quote:

Morning Cam and the team,

Below is a copy of an email I sent to John Key yesterday.
although I read Whaleoil every day I don’t post…… I’m not smart enough haha
By the time people who aren’t keyboard warriors take to sitting down and writing to John Key to share what they think, the political tectonic plates are starting to shift.

quote:

Hi John,

I’m replying to your email re the extra Muslims you are agreeing to bring into New Zealand over the next three years.

John I’m really disappointed in you giving into the leftie twitter and Media campaign.

John I have voted for you since you have lead the National Party because you seemed to understand middle New Zealand. It appears to me that you are losing your touch.

I can’t believe you fell for the proper-gander re the little kid on the beach. Did one of your advisors con you into believing it was less hassle to not correct the story with the truth.

John if you think bringing in more Muslims into New Zealand is the answer, fly over to Sydney with your wife and daughter and take them to Bankstown. If you still think it’s a good idea, you won’t get your fourth term.

What it also shows me is you are losing your touch for being the “every man” to us the great unwashed. A leader who can cut through the crap.

You will be pleased to know at this stage I will keep voting for you because the alternative doesn’t bear thinking about …. No matter how hard the media try.

BUT John where I was going to support you with my vote for a change of flag, I now will not.

This will be my little form of protest directed to you for deciding $50 million plus of our tax dollars, is more important spent, on turning down the white noise directed at you.

Cause that is all this about for you and Joyce.

John I’m really disappointed you can’t or won’t see the big picture re bringing/ increasing this cult into New Zealand.

This decision re bringing more of this cult can be promoted as your personal war on women …. With our tax dollars.

Regards

[withheld by request]

Ps A little background information. My eldest child, a lawyer, was trapped in a high rise in Martin Place, Sydney last year. Her mother and I feared for her life whilst a member of this cult kept all those poor people hostage causing two unnecessary deaths. John imagine the white noise if that happens here because of your decision.
The odd thing is that John Key stood behind New Zealand to start with. And then he folded under pressure from the Media Party, the Twitter Terrorist and the Left.

It’s remarkable that world leaders are all going against their voters on this issue. And even though John Key is no Angela Merkel in the sense that it isn’t at the same scale, the damage it is doing to long term National support is remarkable.

I’ve not seen this amount of anger from paid up National members before. Actually, I have, when Muldoon brought in the Income Tax Amendment No.2 Bill which raised tax rates to 66c in the dollar.

This isn’t a trivial matter. This isn’t a flag. People are viscerally scared of what might be, and they see John Key as somewhat of a traitor for letting it happen here.

ISLAM DEATH CULT

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Lets play a game. Whale oil or stuff?

quote:

Perhaps John Key could win some support back if he set a few rules, like no permission for anymore mosques to be built, no new Muslim only schools, any complaints about pig farming and bacon related products will be dismissed...

whaleoil

quote:

The biggest mistake ever. Why so many men and hardly any women, one refugee was quoted as saying that he left behind all that he loved including his wife and children in a partly demolished house.what a nice culture and all you do gooders want them here, what about our own people that are needy, they still wait. Wait until the religious wars start in Europe.
It's stuff.

quote:

Only one word for this. Stupid. The government has bowed under pressure from the publics emotions getting in the way of basic economic logic. It's easy to sit behind a screen and whinge about why we aren't doing enough, but what happens when they actually arrive. I bet the people who were originally complaining about our governments lack of sympathy are the same people whole are whinging about the flag referendum costing too much. This costs money as well. Ironic? I think so.
It's stuff.

quote:

Must be the first time in history that an invasion force has been fully funded, fed and equipped by the countries it's invading.
whaleoil

quote:

At the risk of being whacked over the knuckles by Pete for only agreeing in comments, as I cant up vote the post, I couldn't agree more with this articles viewpoint.
I feel I am watching a train wreck, NZ, degenerate into one of these Muslim loving countries in Europe.
There, I said it.
At the risk of being called a racist, bigoted, homophobe [sic], I detest the Muslim religion, all its supporters, and so called peaceful exponents of it.
Until each of these Muslim loving supporters haas there wife, gf, or underage daughter abused by the Muslim men/animals, they won't change their views.
Enough is enough NZ .
whaleoil

quote:

this is disgraceful pandering to a few leftwing sooks - Muslim extremists have infiltrated Europe under the guise of being refugees and look at the state of that continent, the Charlie Hebdo killings and hundreds of other incidents made by these animals that refuse to assimilate into their new countries. this is a dark day for New Zealand.
It's stuff.

quote:

I have written to John Key also for the first time. Islam is the biggest threat to the world since the Nazis. They are a bigger threat in fact . Personally I would have been fine under Nazi rule, plenty of Europeans were. You couldn't say that about life under Islam.
whaleoil

quote:

Say goodbye to any tax cuts while we pay to house and look after them while the average kiwi still struggles.
It's stuff.

quote:

Spot on again Winston. If only 20% of these men took up arms they would have numbers to drive ISIS out with the help of air support in a few months. Sadly they are all now claiming to be refugees and wanting to help Europe whilst enjoying some western hospitality.
It's stuff.

Every one of those stuff comments has dozens of upvote thingys.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

You know what's worse than Muslim terrorists?

The Muslims they're killing.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

Robo Captain posted:

Lets play a game. Whale oil or stuff?

Every one of those stuff comments has dozens of upvote thingys.

I imagine there's a lot of crossover

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

the national front should try recruiting from the stuff comments, they'd get a lot of new members that way

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

quote:

I have written to John Key also for the first time. Islam is the biggest threat to the world since the Nazis. They are a bigger threat in fact . Personally I would have been fine under Nazi rule, plenty of Europeans were. You couldn't say that about life under Islam.

lol

"nazi's were a big threat to the world but also pretty nice guys who should have won"

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

29m on a vanity flag project no one except Key is really sure they want: A-OK!

Twice that on humanitarian efforts for loving browns? NOT MY PM!

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Some one should start an extreme right wing party to siphon away national votes next election.

The only problem with this plan is that national would just form a coalition with a neo nazi party.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Infotainment! posted:

Some one should start an extreme right wing party to siphon away national votes next election.

The only problem with this plan is that national would just form a coalition with a neo nazi party.

Run on a platform of moving the capital to chch

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Infotainment! posted:

But ACT failed, though.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Is that image supposed to show how the red peak looks next to other world flags? It kind of sticks out like a sore thumb. I wish they'd at least pick between blue or black, but not both.

The maori flag would look pretty good next to those other world flags though. Nice colours and the shapes complement each other.

Wow, that's horrifying. When I read the first post I looked up the series wikipedia page and was wondering why it would be out of place in a kids library. Well, I guess that got answered.

Ivor Biggun posted:

Hear, hear.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

Show me someone who says "We should take care of our own problems first" and I'll show you someone who thinks everyone on the benefit is a bludger and is a true blue National supporter.

To a point yes, we should take care of our own problems, but there two responses to this:
1) We have the ability to make the lives of refugees better, because their lives are currently so much worse than ours. Bringing them in and improving their lives to be at our current "standard" would be a vast improvement, and also have a positive impact on our society & economy.
2) We do have a responsibility to take care of our own problems too, but it's not an "either or" case, as the Right (or Mr Neutral Commentator Hoskings) would have you believe. We can and should do more to improve the lives of everyone in this country, which in turn will reduce health costs and boost the economy. The problem here is that National doesn't want to do it properly, but will offer piecemeal responses so they can be seen to be "doing stuff"

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
We should take care of our own problems!!!!!!!!

but instead what if we sold all of our assets, defunded things poor people use/need, and made life worse for teachers??????

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There seems to be a lot of whinging that "the people complaining we aren't doing enough for refugees are the same people complaining we're spending too much on the flag! Hypocrites!" when the whole reason people are complaining about the cost of the flag isn't because they're right-wingers who don't want the government to spend any money at all, but left-wingers who want them to spend it on social initiatives such as housing refugees.

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

When Year Zero began we constructed the obsidian peak in the centre of the top level of the Centre Totem, once a depraved and substandard place of gambling constructed by former leaders on the backs of our kin. In our new capital of Apex Aotearoanis we obscured all mention of its former reactionary past of Auckland.

The crushing ceremony on the peak stone began slow but increased in pace, as all manners of those who played sports and enjoyed "ferns" and had anything to do with salaried or waged printed or visual media in the former state were to the first to begin the flow of red down the triangle stone that was to be kept flowing in perpetuity, as a sign of the Apex's rebirth, and rejection of the former condition.

We were not sure how long this procession must continue, but after a time it gained a value in itself. to question the peaks function was to question everything

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KYOONzealand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Slavvy posted:

KYOONzealand.

I am just an occasional amateur... there is no mention of the TPPA or "Due authority" conspiracy theory there, that would be too real. Can't believe that actually got enough traction on social media to make the news ><

• Locked thread