Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Doing a screen/digitiser replacement on my Nexus 5 using my fingernail instead of a tweezers was a harrowing and boring experience, but it worked great and now I have a beautiful half black half red FrankenNexus :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

DemonMage posted:

2TB is the SDXC spec.
Sandisk has a 500GB one, but at nearly $1:1GB it'd be pretty drat silly to buy one unless you had a super specific need.

And the 512GB one is a full SD form factor. MicroSDXC cards currently max out at 200GB.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

What's a good, small, budget android? I love my Alcatel Idol 3 4.7 but I've had two of them now, and they both have a screen issue where certain spots are brighter than the rest, it looks like an internal component is pushing on the backside of the screen.

I tried the new Moto G, but it felt way too thick and bulky compared to the Idol. And the camera was garbage. I really like my Idol except for this screen issue.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tiny Lowtax posted:

What's a good, small, budget android? I love my Alcatel Idol 3 4.7 but I've had two of them now, and they both have a screen issue where certain spots are brighter than the rest, it looks like an internal component is pushing on the backside of the screen.

I tried the new Moto G, but it felt way too thick and bulky compared to the Idol. And the camera was garbage. I really like my Idol except for this screen issue.

Economy, design, specs, camera. Choose three.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Economy, design, specs, camera. Choose three.

I don't care about specs as long as it takes pictures quickly, and they logo decent.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I don't care about specs as long as it takes pictures quickly, and they logo decent.

Camera is basically the hardest "spec" to get right.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

I like the cameras on my Idol. So basically I should keep getting replacements from amazon for my idol until I find a good one, since it sounds like it's the phone for me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tiny Lowtax posted:

I like the cameras on my Idol. So basically I should keep getting replacements from amazon for my idol until I find a good one, since it sounds like it's the phone for me.

Yes, because if the third-gen Moto G isn't up to your photography specifications within your Alcatel price range you might as well be sticking with replacement Alcatels because the alternative is OnePlus.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Away all Goats posted:

Um what the gently caress? My Nexus 5 just factory reset itself while in my pocket.

edit: rebooting fixed it :ms:. Well that was a scary 30 seconds

My Z1 did this a few weeks ago with the same resolution. Weird.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Some new photos of the 2015 Nexus 5; the camera hump doesn't seem that bad, I guess.

http://goo.gl/KDvz2M

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Camera is basically the hardest "spec" to get right.

And autocorrect, apparently.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Require More Fire posted:

Some new photos of the 2015 Nexus 5; the camera hump doesn't seem that bad, I guess.

http://goo.gl/KDvz2M

I can live with it, for USB-C and a headphone jack on the bottom. Everything else is just icing. Debating how long until my wife's janky N5 will hold out before I'm buying one of these new ones. Mine is doing ok, but I'll feel the itch eventually.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Not a fan of the update to now cards format and the new rainbow Google icon on my home screen. Feels way out of place.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:lol: both of my moto x orders will arrive tomorrow, one from Moto and one from Amazon. The one from Moto is getting returned because I want that bamboo backing now.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Massasoit posted:

Not a fan of the update to now cards format and the new rainbow Google icon on my home screen. Feels way out of place.

I'll get used to it but for now it feels like I'm using something from Kindergarten.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

FAUXTON posted:

:lol: both of my moto x orders will arrive tomorrow, one from Moto and one from Amazon. The one from Moto is getting returned because I want that bamboo backing now.
Yeah looks like if you have Prime you get 1 day shipping and the Pure will arrive tomorrow. Just in time too because the CM12 nightlies for my G3 are getting worse and worse for stability. It'll be nice to run a nearly-stock device and not have to root or flash other roms to get rid of bloat.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Doctor Butts posted:

I'll get used to it but for now it feels like I'm using something from Kindergarten.

The biggest thing that annoys me about the new "Google Now" card view is the example speech text isn't centered. I think it was like that before the update, but for some reason it didn't bother me then.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Aw yeah, super stoked to wake up to my new Playskool search bar. Can't wait until Google Now starts updating me on happenings in the Busy World of Richard Scarry and then my Moto voice assistant is replaced by Dora the Explorer

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

FAUXTON posted:

Did Motorola send you a tracking number? Mine still says it's being built... :(

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Super Dude posted:

Did Motorola send you a tracking number? Mine still says it's being built... :(

Oddly enough, it was a FedEx tracking number and it arrived today. However, I needed to reroute it to the local FedEx store because I wasn't there to pick it up and the warehouse is way out of my way, super slow to boot. I'm going to ship it back unopened, hopefully I'll just be out the restocking fee or whatever.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ALFbrot posted:

Aw yeah, super stoked to wake up to my new Playskool search bar. Can't wait until Google Now starts updating me on happenings in the Busy World of Richard Scarry and then my Moto voice assistant is replaced by Dora the Explorer

Seriously, the search bar never bothered me, but now I want to eliminate it. Is there an easy way to do this without using a custom launcher? If not, what's the best custom launcher nowadays, for a N6? I remember using Nova back on my Galaxy Nexus with pretty nice results.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Chill Penguin posted:

Seriously, the search bar never bothered me, but now I want to eliminate it. Is there an easy way to do this without using a custom launcher? If not, what's the best custom launcher nowadays, for a N6? I remember using Nova back on my Galaxy Nexus with pretty nice results.

Hold down on any empty space in your Home Screen. Hit Settings. Untoggle Google Search.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
you guys are so loving retarded

re: the logo change if that wasnt clear

CheddarGoblin fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 9, 2015

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I bet it would be easier just to use the color correction settings to make your phone monochrome.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
I'm having a problem installing apps. Up until the lollipop update on my first gen moto g I've been able to just install apks from my humble library. Now I can still download the apk, but when I am at the install screen I am unable to actually tap the install button. It won't register at all. Has anyone else come across this bug?

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

I'm having a problem installing apps. Up until the lollipop update on my first gen moto g I've been able to just install apks from my humble library. Now I can still download the apk, but when I am at the install screen I am unable to actually tap the install button. It won't register at all. Has anyone else come across this bug?

You probably have a screen overlay app like FLux or Twilight running. Stop those and you will be able to install. It's a security measure so you can't be tricked into installing something by a malicious app overlaying something else on the screen.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Red Warrior posted:

You probably have a screen overlay app like FLux or Twilight running. Stop those and you will be able to install. It's a security measure so you can't be tricked into installing something by a malicious app overlaying something else on the screen.

That was it! Thanks, I never would have figured that out on my own.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Is there a good screen protector for Nexus 6?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So today I moved from the dark ages (literally a 7-year old, $10 LG flip phone that you could shoot the back case off of like a playing card) to a Project Fi Nexus 6.

I am bad at screen protectors. Is there a such a thing as a low-hassle screen protector? This poo poo where people are recommending I do a screen installation with nitrile gloves on is a little much.

Also good god is this phone HUGE just like they said. I feel like I'll need to change my clothes to accomodate its presence and have an actual pocket that can handle it. I didn't care, I've been sitting on my flip phone waiting for a deal for years and this was it, but it's nearly the size of my tablet.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

So today I moved from the dark ages (literally a 7-year old, $10 LG flip phone that you could shoot the back case off of like a playing card) to a Project Fi Nexus 6.

I am bad at screen protectors. Is there a such a thing as a low-hassle screen protector? This poo poo where people are recommending I do a screen installation with nitrile gloves on is a little much.

Also good god is this phone HUGE just like they said. I feel like I'll need to change my clothes to accomodate its presence and have an actual pocket that can handle it. I didn't care, I've been sitting on my flip phone waiting for a deal for years and this was it, but it's nearly the size of my tablet.

Put the shower on, and get the bathroom all steamy and then do it on there. Not in the shower but on the sink. The steam suspends the particles in the air and makes it easier.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
re: screen protectors. Just by a yootech (or other highly rated glass one on Amazon). Search reviews for "halo" and pray. I used a yootech on my Nexus 6 and had zero issues, zero halo, but strangely some people insist there is one, so not sure.

Just clean it with the wipe provided, have a compressed air can nearby. Do it in the bathroom after running hot water for a few minutes (to catch any floating lint, etc). After cleaning with the alcohol wipe, clean with the microfiber, then remove the sticker from the glass. Spray air on the phone screen a few times, making sure it doesn't have lint. Line up glass, slowly lower it down, immediately press from the middle of the display outwards from top to bottom.

Unless you hosed something up, it's really easy to be lint-free. Done it a million times, always perfect. Not :spergin: just careful.

Edit beaten by jerkface. Figures!

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Alternatively, screen protectors are stupid and unnecessary. I haven't used one since I had an HTC Mogul with a plastic screen. There's seriously no point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Put the shower on, and get the bathroom all steamy and then do it on there. Not in the shower but on the sink. The steam suspends the particles in the air and makes it easier.

Isn't the idea that the moisture makes the dust heavy and it all falls out of the sky, so the air ends up clear and relatively dust-free? I mean the dust particles are already suspended in the air, that's the problem!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Verizon confirms that no one will have issue activating a new SIM with the new Moto X Pure.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/09/09/verizon-will-allow-you-to-activate-the-moto-x-pure-edition/

Moto employee has also apparently confirmed it will have simultaneous voice and data on Verizon which should mean that it supports advanced calling (which the 2014 can't yet.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 10, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

hotsauce posted:

re: screen protectors. Just by a yootech (or other highly rated glass one on Amazon). Search reviews for "halo" and pray. I used a yootech on my Nexus 6 and had zero issues, zero halo, but strangely some people insist there is one, so not sure.

Just clean it with the wipe provided, have a compressed air can nearby. Do it in the bathroom after running hot water for a few minutes (to catch any floating lint, etc). After cleaning with the alcohol wipe, clean with the microfiber, then remove the sticker from the glass. Spray air on the phone screen a few times, making sure it doesn't have lint. Line up glass, slowly lower it down, immediately press from the middle of the display outwards from top to bottom.

Unless you hosed something up, it's really easy to be lint-free. Done it a million times, always perfect. Not :spergin: just careful.

Edit beaten by jerkface. Figures!
I got a Yootech on my Nexus 6 as well, the first application left a small bubble in the center but that was user error, re-applied it and it's on perfectly.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
My HTC one m7 is on the way out. It cannot seem to be able to do more than one thing at a time. If I am downloading something or an app is updating, I better not want to do anything else because the phone is frozen until the task completes. This sucks and I am looking into new phones.

Right now I am leaning toward the moto x pure, but there is that blu xl phone coming at the end of the month that looks like it might be good. For BSS reasons, I would like 64 GB if possible and/or an sd card. Hopefully I didn't trigger anything from this requirement. Also for bss reasons, a nice big screen would be great.

Should I get my hopes up about the new blu phone, or just order a moto x pure? Is there another phone I should consider?

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450006019"]
Alternatively, screen protectors are stupid and unnecessary. I haven't used one since I had an HTC Mogul with a plastic screen. There's seriously no point.

This guy gets it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450006019"]

My N5 got some nasty scratches on the screen from being in jeans pockets that have that metal stud. Why would you not use a screen protector? It doesn't affect your use of the phone in any way and costs like $10.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450006019"]

The glass ones are nice at least in terms of being able to get that "new screen" feeling back once the oleophobic coating's worn off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're REALLY rough on your Gorilla Glass 3 phone you probably need a screen protector. Don't do anything stupid like leave your keys in your pocket against the screen and then walk around at a festival all day and you should be fine. If it's your little brother's first smartphone then yeah a protector might be worthwhile.