Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

cheetah7071 posted:

What kind of jackass alters power

If I won the powerball i would have a set of power altered by the original artists because I was too rich to be smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
If I won the Powerball I would not buy power because Vintage is not as much fun as legacy.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Sigma-X posted:

If I won the Powerball I would not buy power because Vintage is not as much fun as legacy.

In a thread full of terrible opinions, this is the worst.

Gridlocked posted:

That's a lot of specific denial from whoever you borrowed them off.

Uh, :what: again.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Veyrall posted:

I understand why you did it, but no one should ever get their way when they act like an rear end in a top hat. Your head judge should have tossed your rear end into the street.

I love hyper-awful playmats. It lets me know when I need to not play a round of Magic with someone. Why are you guys even getting mad it's like a big flashing sign people give you to not interact with them. It's like asking methheads and pedophiles to dress like normal people. It just makes them hidden, so now you get awful surprises in addition to being exposed to awful people.
Any alters should be pre-approved by the HJ before use.

As a judge myself, I'd have made him swap prior. While it may be a bit of a dick move to go out of your way to stir the pot, there's just as much lacking of consideration from the guy playing the stupid anime titty lands anyways.

E: You're also a terrible person if you think a head judge should ever disqualify someone for bringing up something that makes them uncomfortable, regardless of whether or not you have a hunch they might just be doing it out of spite.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Mikujin posted:

Any alters should be pre-approved by the HJ before use.

As a judge myself, I'd have made him swap prior. While it may be a bit of a dick move to go out of your way to stir the pot, there's just as much lacking of consideration from the guy playing the stupid anime titty lands anyways.

E: You're also a terrible person if you think a head judge should ever disqualify someone for bringing up something that makes them uncomfortable, regardless of whether or not you have a hunch they might just be doing it out of spite.

I have this image on a playmat (got via inkedplaymats) that I use regularly in tournaments, like a few GPs and such. It makes me think what the line is for "anime playmats" and the like. No judge has called me out on it (yet), though I really have seen some dodgy ones around, including an especially dodgy anime playmat from Free (A swimming anime) with just naked anime guys with speedos on it in horrible poses.

Samael fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 9, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Samael posted:

I have this image on a playmat (got via inkedplaymats) that I use regularly in tournaments, like a few GPs and such. It makes me think what the line is for "anime playmats" and the like. No judge has called me out on it (yet), though I really have seen some dodgy ones around, including an especially dodgy anime playmat from Free (A swimming anime) with just naked anime guys with speedos on it in horrible poses.

That mat is totally fine, though. It appears to be in good taste (assuming that's your taste), without stuff on it that's going to set off red flags. Basic lands altered to simply be giant anime breasts (sometimes with faces on there somewhere) are the kind of distasteful crap that I will not allow, nor should anyone encourage.

E: I'd like to say there's some good rule of thumb (ie. if you think it would make your parents/family/whoever uncomfortable, don't use it) but there are some seriously socially inept people out there who just don't have that sort of filter. It's not necessarily their fault, but I have had people get pretty indignant about being asked to change their sleeves because they think it's their right to show off their cards however they want to, titties and all, because "IT'S A FREE COUNTRY CALLED 'MURRICA" and other stupid maladjusted poo poo. I had a guy at a GPT get mad when I told him to put away his custom playmat that said "gently caress THA POLICE." He literally thought there was nothing wrong with it, with plenty of young players present.

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Sep 9, 2015

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Elyv posted:

Deathless Behemoth
Creature - Eldrazi
Vigilance

Sacrifice two Eldrazi Scions: Return Deathless Behemoth from the graveyard to your hand. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
6/6

"I throw my hands up in the air sometimes"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
"Can you paint with all the colorless of the wind?"

RubberJohnny
Apr 22, 2008

Spawn of Akoum - 4RR
Rare
Dragon
Flying
Landfall - It deals 1 point of damage to target creature or player. It the land was a mountain it deals 2 damage instead.
4/4

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I watched a guy at champs get DQd because he used an anime girl playmat Saturday, got a judge call for it, and used it again Sunday when he was told not to. I think he was officially DQd for lying to a judge about something related to the playmat

Good riddance.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Out of all the hills to die on that has to be one of the dumbest.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
That's super dumb because if he didn't lie it's just a USC Minor

(don't lie to judges people)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

RubberJohnny posted:

Spawn of Akoum - 4RR
Rare
Dragon
Flying
Landfall - It deals 1 point of damage to target creature or player. It the land was a mountain it deals 2 damage instead.
4/4

Damnit. This is the one token dragon we get in the set, isn't it? :(

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

"I throw my hands up in the air sometimes"

The thumbnail makes it look like a skeleton riding a sperm into battle.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

AlternateNu posted:

Damnit. This is the one token dragon we get in the set, isn't it? :(

It's a pretty good one, at least, and potentially constructed-playable.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

bhsman posted:

Is it? It doesn't have haste and probably does nothing the turn it enters the battlefield. And it costs 6.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Nah, it's a 4/4 at six mana that doesn't do anything immediately, has no protection, and gives you a minor upside if you have lots of lands to play. It's probably not going to make the cut.

Now what I want is a phoenix. Something red and flying that isn't a scaly brute.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

bhsman posted:

Disagree, something in red that depends on you putting lands down after casting a 6CMC is never likely to be good, and it's only a 4/4 for 6. And I say this as someone who really wants to replace Strombreath in Mardu Dragons.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013
the replacement for stormbreath is probably sarkhan, the dragonspeaker

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Maybe all of you should re-read that post very carefully.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It a fine 6 mana man for a RG ramp deck. Turns late game fetches into arc lightnings. If there are cheap nerds that generate Eldrazi scions reliably, you can get this dude out quickly and easily, and start shocking their board. Sure isn't a boogeyman card like Rhino but its servicable. It might not find it's spotlight until sarkhan or stormbreath rotate out, but I wouldn't underestimate it's ability to get poo poo out of the way.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Maybe all of you should re-read that post very carefully.

Does "potentially constructed-playable" now mean kitchen table and limited fodder?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GlennFinito posted:

the replacement for stormbreath is probably sarkhan, the dragonspeaker

I don't quite think there is a direct replacement. Sarkhan and kolaghan can somewhat fill the void, but being legendary as well as not having pro white is a big deal. In all honesty jeskai is probably going to be using draconic roar more than mardu after rotation.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Does "potentially constructed-playable" now mean kitchen table and limited fodder?

I don't know, how obtuse do you want to get?

The card is an insane bomb in Limited, but if you only want to talk Constructed (Standard only, really), I could see it being a finisher in a deck that cares about mass landdrops IF we see enough enablers.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

I don't know, how obtuse do you want to get?

The card is an insane bomb in Limited, but if you only want to talk Constructed (Standard only, really), I could see it being a finisher in a deck that cares about mass landdrops IF we see enough enablers.

Gee, when we're saying constructed in a sentence, I take it to mean constructed decks. Anyway, excuse me as I phone in R&D and see if Scapeshift is too good for Standard.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

JerryLee posted:

Yes, but "I will eat the same salad twice" is not

Ruminate on this for a bit and then get back to me.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Played in my first ever pauper tourney tonight.

Worst loving format I've ever played. Worse than EDH. I guess part of it is my fault but I just figured "Sweet, a bunch of commons thrown together"

Little did I know it's more powerful than standard when 3/4 games I was playing someone that was Mono Blue Cantrips/Counters, Delver, or UR unblockable where I get hit by a 7/2 doublestrike on T4.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

Gee, when we're saying constructed in a sentence, I take it to mean constructed decks. Anyway, excuse me as I phone in R&D and see if Scapeshift is too good for Standard.

Maybe you haven't had your morning coffee yet, and maybe I could have spelled it out better, but Constructed playability wasn't even the first thing I talked about in that post.

EDIT: Actually, given what I've seen some Nic Fit Scapewish decks run, seeing that dragon in such a list wouldn't shock me.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Pauper is basically a subset of Legacy, which means tons of blue. It at least does have a few cool decks in it, like Tortured Existence. But yeah, the most accessible decks are the boring usual blue customers.

bhsman posted:

Maybe you haven't had your morning coffee yet, and maybe I could have spelled it out better, but Constructed playability wasn't even the first thing I talked about in that post.

It's not pretty good either.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Worst loving format I've ever played. Worse than EDH. I guess part of it is my fault but I just figured "Sweet, a bunch of commons thrown together"

Little did I know it's more powerful than standard when 3/4 games I was playing someone that was Mono Blue Cantrips/Counters, Delver, or UR unblockable where I get hit by a 7/2 doublestrike on T4.

Pauper is a amazing format. Its like a weird legacy variant that is far less broken. That being said, if you are going in to pauper expecting a "soft" event, then you are in for a rude awakening.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ramos posted:

It's not pretty good either.

Sorry you don't play much Limited, I guess?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Sorry you don't play much Limited, I guess?

Yeah, I do and I'd prefer the sphinx that costs less, has more toughness, and an ability that taps down giant things that are going to ruin my day given the chance. The dragon has its uses, but you're already jumping through hoops and saying you're going to have a land heavy deck and pinging down eldrazi scions with an under statted creature. I just want to turn my sphinx sideways and occasionally race a bit better.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Wait, you think decks not being total garbage is worse than the alternative and you hate EDH? What the hell do you play?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is no way that 4/4 Flying for 6 with no haste is constructed playable.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
The Dragon is a worse (albeit, not "strictly" worse) Valakut. Primarily, because it dies to the best red spell and cheapest black removal spell in the format and costs 6 mana.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

AlternateNu posted:

The Dragon is a worse (albeit, not "strictly" worse) Valakut. Primarily, because it dies to the best red spell and cheapest black removal spell in the format and costs 6 mana.

Stoke is rotating out, unless you meant something else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Dragonlord Kolaghan is SO much better than that card and he still sees hardly any play. The difference between 5 and 6 mana is huge.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Ramos posted:

The most important thing to remember is that all the cards are spoiled and we know what the set looks like, which makes card evaluation super easy before any games are played.

I dig it, seems better than avaricious dragon for sure and hits that same molten vortex sweet spot from the other side of the curve.

It doesn't scream "take me to Vermont and marry me" like that 2BB flying skullclamp :allears: but I wouldn't kick a 6 cmc card with a little evasion out of bed for eating cookies in a set with huge gently caress off sized eldrazi in it. P1p1 I would take it and I will giggle whenever someone passes me one for sure. Don't think it's a tomahawk dunk without perusing the pack but it's hardly a stinker.

Also did anyone else catch that hedron snorting goblin?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Ruminate on this for a bit and then get back to me.

Hey, don't have a cow, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Hey, don't have a cow, man.

Up to two target creatures means I can get like two burgers but instead of two burgers it's like doubling down on one burger meaning I can target one for +2/+4, right? I don't know, these food analogies are making me hungry.

• Locked thread