Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

VagueRant posted:

Is there still no youtube video of the cutscenes you get when your GMP goes into the red? I can't find anything and I still don't want to risk doing it.

wait what, i go into the red all the time during missions and i got no special cutscene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
do we have to spoilertag in here? gonna do it in any case. spoiler about Quiet, her final plot mission and the end of the game has anyone tried playing with the LUA edit that brings her back? any instabilities/bugs?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

people are more likely to spoiler tag gameplay tips/secrets here, there's been a huge lack of redacted in the last 20 pages

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

wait what, i go into the red all the time during missions and i got no special cutscene.
I heard that's how you get the scenesfrom the Nuclear trailer of soldiers fighting in the rain and Snake forcing one to stab him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Dongattack posted:

do we have to spoilertag in here? gonna do it in any case. spoiler about Quiet, her final plot mission and the end of the game has anyone tried playing with the LUA edit that brings her back? any instabilities/bugs?

Metal Gear Solid V TPP SPOILER/PLOT THREAD - this thread has spoilers

It's hard to really say ...

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

VagueRant posted:

I heard that's how you get the scenesfrom the Nuclear trailer of soldiers fighting in the rain and Snake forcing one to stab him.

hmm. well i think i've never gone back to motherbase while in the red out of shame. gonna try this because i wanna see that poo poo.

you mean this one right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYVXylrVAQE

from the sounds of the dialouge its either low morale or too many soldiers in the waiting room.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 9, 2015

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Vikar Jerome posted:

from the sounds of the dialouge its either low morale or too many soldiers in the waiting room.

I got the cutscene from being in the red and had a bunch of soldiers in the waiting room, but I think it's the latter.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

hmm. well i think i've never gone back to motherbase while in the red out of shame. gonna try this because i wanna see that poo poo.

you mean this one right

I got that from having low morale. They also plastered "Big Boss is Watching You" posters god drat everywhere.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

FZeroRacer posted:

agreed, kojima wrote a character a decade ago therefore he clearly can't be sexist.

you see, all these shots of Quiets rear end have a deeper meaning to them

The deeper meaning is that Kojima loves rear end and titties. And who can blame him for that?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sums up the series pretty well.

XENA I LOVE YOU posted:

I got that from having low morale. They also plastered "Big Boss is Watching You" posters god drat everywhere.

I thought that always happened once you hit Chapter 2.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 9, 2015

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Snake: "This seems to be getting more and more random."
Otacon: "Correction - it's becoming more deep. Trust me."

Sums up the series pretty well.

I thought that always happened once you hit Chapter 2.

It might be. Chapter 2 was also the time when I got sick of beating up the troops that welcome you back on the command platform. And I didn't bother to purge all the trouble makers until a few missions after the posters showed up.

Really it's kind of sad you can't convert Quiets cell into a CQC training pit after she fucks off. I mean the main medical building is right there, it's perfect.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, it's actually kind of neat that most players get so wrapped up in Big Boss' legend (just like half the characters in the series) that they become blind to the fact that he spends all of PW, GZ, and MGSV being a nuclear-equipped dictator that kidnaps children and soldiers to run an off-shore mercenary haven whose goal is perpetual conflict for profit and because they enjoy war. It's a pretty interesting metacommentary on people's ability to rationalize almost anything to themselves when they are the ones doing it.

Holy poo poo. Well, I suppose I'm not going to complain about not being evil anymore.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

DasKuend posted:

Im trying to think of a female endboss/villain in games (i cant even remember in films but obvious there are some).

i like variety

KOTOR 2's Kreia, who is a mother-figure and mentor a lot like The Boss
Shodan from System Shock, but she is a computer AI

And...
uh..

Gruntilda from Banjo Kazooie?

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Dongattack posted:

It's working fine for me.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Pretty sure I have this right, but just want to confirm:

Part of the reason Sahelanthropus doesn't affect future Metal Gear tech (aside from the fact that it's a game and sequels always have cooler tech even when it doesn't make sense) is that it never actually worked, right? It was just powered by Mantis's anger-magic all along, and was never capable of standing fully vertical unsupported? The best it can do is to hunch over weirdly, which is why when stunned in its boss fight it looks like REX.

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Valentin posted:

Part of the reason Sahelanthropus doesn't affect future Metal Gear tech (aside from the fact that it's a game and sequels always have cooler tech even when it doesn't make sense) is that it never actually worked, right? It was just powered by Mantis's anger-magic all along, and was never capable of standing fully vertical unsupported? The best it can do is to hunch over weirdly, which is why when stunned in its boss fight it looks like REX.

Yeah, I think that's right. I got that it was never actually finished and thus never really continued. Plus it vanished from history.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

you mean this one right

Ah, thanks!

I'd heard you got it from the GMP thing. Shame more people won't see that, it's actually a neat little scene. And has the best fight choreography in the game maybe. It's weird how every time we see Snake doing cutscene CQC he's slapping knives out of people's hands.

Valentin posted:

Still doesn't explain how we went from the insanely sci-fi Peace Walker poo poo to the stubby little TX-55 in Metal Gear 1.

Like the Shagohod at least seemed like something old and chunky. And the hints of Rex and the Emmerichs were just little references instead of "here's otacons dad who looks and sounds exactly like otacon talking about metal gears to snakes dad" george lucas bullshit. Man, MGS3 handled the whole prequel thing better than everything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Valentin posted:

Yes, Huey was too lovely of an engineer to get it properly functional. His obsession with bipedal robots grew to the point where he was building the mecha equivalent of the F-35.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

VagueRant posted:

Ah, thanks!

I'd heard you got it from the GMP thing. Shame more people won't see that, it's actually a neat little scene. And has the best fight choreography in the game maybe. It's weird how every time we see Snake doing cutscene CQC he's slapping knives out of people's hands.
Still doesn't explain how we went from the insanely sci-fi Peace Walker poo poo to the stubby little TX-55 in Metal Gear 1.

Zeke is huge, it could probably be seen from space. In contrast, the TX-55 is approximately three times as tall as a man, and could very well use it's legs to run, which would allow it to say, climb a mountain top before anyone knew what was going on and nuke one of their allied nations . The wiki places it's top speed at 50 km/h, and it's equipped to fire IRBMs from a totally mobile platform. Even if your enemy attacked, you could deploy it and nuke a friendly capital before anyone knew what hit them. It guarantees you first strike capability, as it's nearly undetectable until it's already fired it's payload. The compact design actually makes it scarier; you can't see it coming.

I made all this up

EDIT: Now that I think about it Sahelanthropus' main design flaw is that it's too big. Sort of like a symbol of it's own hubris.

Also, if we're to extend the Moby Dick thing to the whole game, what is Ahab's white whale?

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 9, 2015

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Zeke is huge, it could probably be seen from space. In contrast, the TX-55 is approximately three times as tall as a man, and could very well use it's legs to run, which would allow it to say, climb a mountain top before anyone knew what was going on and nuke one of their allied nations . The wiki places it's top speed at 50 km/h, and it's equipped to fire IRBMs from a totally mobile platform. Even if your enemy attacked, you could deploy it and nuke a friendly capital before anyone knew what hit them. It guarantees you first strike capability, as it's nearly undetectable until it's already fired it's payload. The compact design actually makes it scarier; you can't see it coming.

I made all this up

EDIT: Now that I think about it Sahelanthropus' main design flaw is that it's too big. Sort of like a symbol of it's own hubris.

Also, if we're to extend the Moby Dick thing to the whole game, what is Ahab's white whale?

Skull Face because he's got a white face.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The next game will be Ghost Trick but you go around as Liquid possessing people's arms.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Kojima's writing is so scattered in quality and weirdness that you can make the argument he's doing anything for any reason, god drat I love analyzing art, and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is true art.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

MrBims posted:

KOTOR 2's Kreia, who is a mother-figure and mentor a lot like The Boss
Shodan from System Shock, but she is a computer AI

And...
uh..

Gruntilda from Banjo Kazooie?

I'm really happy you mentioned Kotor 2, since I love that game so much I want to gently caress it. I love unfinished games.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Metal Gears from Metal Gear 1 and 2 were designed by Madnar, not Huey. Since you can recruit Madnar in the game and he's a bionics expert more than a robotics and AI expert, that'd probably explain the discrepancies. Because like hell would Big Boss/Venom track down a traitor like Huey to make more Metal Gears.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, but would they be like "God, Madnar, you're such a loving idiot. The Emmerichs had giant flying saucers piloted by artificial intellegence twenty years ago. Your nuclear tank can't even walk yet."

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
They also had the funding of the CIA, instead of the funding of an isolationist soldier cult.

Funky Britches
Aug 22, 2009

Well also that poo poo didn't work at all, it only moved because a psychic was pushing it around with his mind

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

You should take Madnar out on some ops sometime. It'd explain how he could be able to choke Solid Snake in Metal Gear 2.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Can your MGO3 dude you can play after mission 46 get demon mode too if you kill enough guys/build a nuke or is it only snake?

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You are snake, so yes.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Miller was not in mgs3.

My bad I mean Peace Walker.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Terminally Bored posted:

A very good post. Kojima's stories always needed heavy editing and their quality depended on who was the editor.

Under the vegetable comes off as a guy who thinks Sucker Punch was a feminist movie about strong women.

No, see, Zack Snyder is a bad writer and director and misogynist hack. I only defend good artists who have things to say.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

This is 100% true. Kojima is not a good writer. He's an excellent game designer and director, but not a good writer.

(Incidentally, this is why it's extra disappointing that Silent Hills is dead. Pairing a designer like Kojima with del Toro's writing and stylistic talent would've resulted in something absolutely fascinating.)

Kojima is a good writer. Del toro is a really bad, or, rather, boring and formulaic writer with an extremely good sense of visual style.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Buschmaki posted:

I'm really happy you mentioned Kotor 2, since I love that game so much I want to gently caress it. I love unfinished games.

Kotor 2 is really cool because its the single most competently written and interesting piece of star wars media that has ever existed.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

Did you ever play that mod that added a bunch of poo poo back in? Apparently it's pretty neat.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
It is, and it's now on the Steam Workshop since for some reason they went back and added in widescreen support and the steam workshop like 3 months ago.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I encourage everyone in this thread to play KOTOR 2, if you think the stories in Metal Gear Solid are good, get ready for a game that will knock your socks off!

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Buschmaki posted:

I encourage everyone in this thread to play KOTOR 2, if you think the stories in Metal Gear Solid are good, get ready for a game that will knock your socks off!

Agreed. KoTOR 2 is the best Star Wars storyline ever.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Why were the XOF soldiers and the man on fire/kid mantis fighting eachother in the intro scene? Arent they on the same side?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Why were the XOF soldiers and the man on fire/kid mantis fighting eachother in the intro scene? Arent they on the same side?

Mantis wasn't really on anybodies side. Skull Face wasn't there, so he was latched onto Big Boss and thus, the whole Volgin rage took over. Volgin ain't gonna let anyone else kill him.

• Locked thread