Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

This is some of the most awkward poo poo I've ever seen. :raise:

He's nervous as all gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Immortan posted:

This is some of the most awkward poo poo I've ever seen. :raise:

He's nervous as all gently caress.

We might eat the rich but I wouldn't be surprised if Bush ends up on a spit roast with an apple in his mouth at bohemian grove after getting all that money and bungling everything.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It was like the first show what are you expecting

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Full Battle Rattle posted:

We might eat the rich but I wouldn't be surprised if Bush ends up on a spit roast with an apple in his mouth at bohemian grove after getting all that money and bungling everything.

He's so going to self-destruct vs. Trump in the next debate after this, holy poo poo.

:munch:

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Bush had the lowest self esteem in the race before Trump even announced. The Don is punching down and I consider it cyber bullying

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

JEB! is literally Shinji.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Jeb!, get in the drat White House

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Forums Terrorist posted:

Jeb!, get in the drat White House

I dislike that simple minded geekoid imterpetation fo JEB!'s character. JEB! is a traumatized kid, the subject of child abuse. H ehas his dad glaring down him the whole of his campaign. Trump is his asuka,.

This campaign ends with Trump and JEB alone on a beach, JEB! begins to strangle Trump then gives up and starts to cry,

trump looks up at him.

"Loser"

FIN

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Waiting for the congratulations moment when he just gives up and pulls out, with The Donald clapping front and centre.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

"Your campaign is created by the interactions fo you and the you in the mind of the media. A truth can be anything."

"I can exist. I can be happy in world where I don't have to follow in my family footsteps."

*screen begins to crack*

"I can be happy in a world where I don't have to be president!"

"screen cracks further"

"The me that si the me of the campaign doesn't have to define me! I am not a loser!I can be happy! when I run for president people praise me, but their praise hurts me! But i can live in a world without the praise that huts me!"

*screens hatters.*

KASAICH: Congratulations!
SANTORUM: Congratulations!
:FIORINA: Congratulations!
Hillary: Congratulations!
CARSON: Congratulations!
CRUZ: Congratulations!
TRUMP: Get hosed loser!
RUBIO: Congratulations!
WALKER: Congratulations!
W: *squawk*
GEORGE SR. and BARB: Congratulations!

JEB!: Thank you, everyone! Thank you mother and Father!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Why is it still a thing I can't watch that in my region (Europe)? It's such bullshit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Taeke posted:

Why is it still a thing I can't watch that in my region (Europe)? It's such bullshit.
Individual licensing agreements for commerce between countries is one of the fundamental elements of the modern concept of the nation-state.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Samurai Sanders posted:

Individual licensing agreements for commerce between countries is one of the fundamental elements of the modern concept of the nation-state.

So a VPN is a way of subverting the concept of the nation-state? I'm down with this.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Robotnik Nudes posted:

"Your campaign is created by the interactions fo you and the you in the mind of the media. A truth can be anything."

"I can exist. I can be happy in world where I don't have to follow in my family footsteps."

*screen begins to crack*

"I can be happy in a world where I don't have to be president!"

"screen cracks further"

"The me that si the me of the campaign doesn't have to define me! I am not a loser!I can be happy! when I run for president people praise me, but their praise hurts me! But i can live in a world without the praise that huts me!"

*screens hatters.*

KASAICH: Congratulations!
SANTORUM: Congratulations!
:FIORINA: Congratulations!
Hillary: Congratulations!
CARSON: Congratulations!
CRUZ: Congratulations!
TRUMP: Get hosed loser!
RUBIO: Congratulations!
WALKER: Congratulations!
W: *squawk*
GEORGE SR. and BARB: Congratulations!

JEB!: Thank you, everyone! Thank you mother and Father!

That means Trump gets eaten alive by all the other candidates before the caucus though. And even after he was kicking their asses only moments before.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

FAUXTON posted:

The emails are just this year's Vince Foster.

Last year's VF was Benghazi, before that it was Russia, before that it was the Sarajevo sniper fire, etc.

How is her lying about taking fire in Bosnia not a legitimate issue? That one in particular is going to be played in a lot of ads next summer. Her saying she took fire juxtaposed with her holding hands with a greeting party of children.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

KillHour posted:

I feel like Colbert was WAY too nice. He lobbed him some real soft balls and he still whiffed.

It's his first show, he wasn't out there to make the other candidates avoid coming on.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Taeke posted:

i know wtf

Samurai Sanders posted:

sounds like a buncha bullshit to me

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mrit posted:

Its both. Colleges have become wasteful and full of flashy gimmick crap to pull in students. And states need to better fund colleges so that the cost is minimal to students.

Operations and construction are two separate pools of money in most colleges and construction money cannot be spent on operations. Starfleet Academy dorms, climbing walls, etc., beyond their maintenance costs, can't actually impact the operations budget - and state support for operations has fallen dramatically basically everywhere.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Donors love to give money for buildings that have their names on them and couldn't give a poo poo about lecture sizes

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Feather posted:

Her engagement with BLM to date has been to tell them to solve their own problems and that "all lives matter."

It seems like Clinton is portrayed worse and worse every time this meeting is recalled in this thread

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mitt Romney posted:

How is her lying about taking fire in Bosnia not a legitimate issue? That one in particular is going to be played in a lot of ads next summer. Her saying she took fire juxtaposed with her holding hands with a greeting party of children.

If the media and the public are tired of hearing about Benghazi, and they're not concerned about Hillary's email server (which, I think this "scandal" has shown, they're not) I don't know what makes you think they're going to care about a six year old scandal about that one time Hillary fibbed about a sniper at an airport she had visited more than a decade before.

At this point, Hillary has been attacked from the inside at every angle possible and they have all failed to gain traction. Unless somebody gets a 47% out of her, or some Nixon era criminality, they're not bringing her down with a scandal. After a decade of heir apparent Hillary weathering scandal after scandal, the American public just aren't interested in entertaining them anymore.

Hillary Clinton is the Brangelina of politicians. Nobody is interested in the drama or particulars anymore, unless it's blowing up we don't want to hear about it, and god help you if you run the divorce story when it isn't happening you sons of bitches

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 197 days!

HappyHippo posted:

It seems like Clinton is portrayed worse and worse every time this meeting is recalled in this thread

Is that the one where she greeted the BLM activists in full Klan regalia and proceeded to lecture them on 'black culture'?

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

CheesyDog posted:

Donors love to give money for buildings that have their names on them and couldn't give a poo poo about lecture sizes

I went to Drexel for my graduate degree (one of money magazines least affordable colleges in America!) and they were constantly building new facilities and expanding, while tuition goes up every year. Big name schools are just as big a money maker as University of Phoenix, but for some reason they get to call themselves non-profit. My education was at best mediocre and the only reason I chose Drexel is because I had help paying for the tuition through my employer.

The biggest problem IMO is when you strip away all the gymnasiums, athletics, fancy student centers, lounges and activities, you're left with a lean academic focused institution, also known as community colleges. And we know how well they appeal to prospective students.

State schools are expensive, but still reasonable. I think Penn State is up to 12 or 13 a year before room and board, but private universities are a scam unless they offer you a generous financial aid package.

I think there is going to be a big shift in how we send our kids to college when my generation gets a little bit older and we start laughing in our kids faces when they tell us they want to go to a $55,000 a year private school.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did Colbert figuratively tear out Jeb!'s throat? :allears:

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Nastier Nate posted:

The biggest problem IMO is when you strip away all the gymnasiums, athletics, fancy student centers, lounges and activities, you're left with a lean academic focused institution, also known as community colleges. And we know how well they appeal to prospective students.

Perhaps they shouldn't get the option then.

Martin Random
Jul 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Grouchio posted:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how much did Colbert figuratively tear out Jeb!'s throat? :allears:

It kind of just popped out

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Since it was Jeb Bush I'd imagine he showed his belly and then submissively urinated himself

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Grouchio posted:

1, no tearing required. Jeb offered it willingly.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Forums Terrorist posted:

Perhaps they shouldn't get the option then.

If you're suggesting (they being schools) that we restrict private universities from using their own funds to expand bells and whistles facilities, I'm not sure how we can do that, or even that we should.

If you're suggesting (they being students) parents need to smack some sense into their kids when it comes time to choose a college, then I'm all for it, and pray that when my kid starts applying for colleges I have the strength to tell him his college options are: barber, clown or state.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Nastier Nate posted:

If you're suggesting (they being schools) that we restrict private universities from using their own funds to expand bells and whistles facilities, I'm not sure how we can do that, or even that we should.

If you're suggesting (they being students) parents need to smack some sense into their kids when it comes time to choose a college, then I'm all for it, and pray that when my kid starts applying for colleges I have the strength to tell him his college options are: barber, clown or state.

State universities are wasting money on rock walls, lavish facilities and underperforming football teams as well. They "have to" waste money to "remain competitive with private universities"

On college sports:

Just an assistant coach for a low ranked, woefully underfunded football team in the NCAA takes in a six figure salary. If you have a lovely team you're spending two million dollars on coaches and their support staff alone. If your team isn't huge, there is no way in hell it's paying for itself. That's a huge amount of money to spend every year to play an amateur sport.

The big universities have millionaire coaches, assistant coaches and coordinators, but supposedly those pay for themselves and also only pay for themselves as long as their operating costs are high? I don't really get that one, I'm sure some NCAA apologist will trip over himself to Um, Actually me with the details. Anyway, some NCAA coaches are making more than NFL coaches now! Taxpayer, student and alumni dollars at work here, guys!

Just remember the next time you make a student loan payment, the school could have given out 10-100++ scholarships this year or proportionally reduced tuition for their students but instead of that they spent that money paying the assistant to the guy who tells college students how to move a ball around a football field

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 9, 2015

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Bush: I'm going to say something heretical. I don't think Obama has bad motives.
*audience is stunned into silence*
*nervous, confused clapping just starts, and then-*
Bush: I just think he's wrong on a lot of issues.
Colbert: Oh, you're so close to getting them to clap! You have to pause!

Bush: I've been using Jeb! since 1994. It connotes excitement.
Colbert: *uncontrollable burst of laughter*
Bush: *hurt expression*

Jeb Bush, on W. Bush: I think my brother didn’t control Republican congress spending. He should have brought the hammer down when they were spending too much. He didn’t veto things, didn’t bring fiscal restraints. He was not conservative enough.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

Meanwhile, like I said, taking Near Eastern Studies courses can literally kill you because you're breathing in poison.

Yes, but I fail to see what this has to do with a lack of funding :confused:

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
I think I would have preferred a Correspondent's dinner style teardown from Colbert, but Jeb taking softball questions to the face is just as good.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Mirthless posted:

State universities are wasting money on rock walls, lavish facilities and underperforming football teams as well. They "have to" waste money to "remain competitive with private universities"

I have no doubt that state schools are wasting money left and right. But when it comes time to pick a college, a $12,000 a year in-state tuition, supplemented by taxes (which I pay for no matter where I send my kid) looks far more reasonable when compared to $50,000 for a private university, where the education is basically the same. The end cost is essentially the same, but the bill to the student/parent is quite different so I'm not ready to start bitching about state schools yet.

I watched that segment from Christie about tuition and it's he has a very reasonable suggestion of saying that if a school accepts students with federal loan money, they have to itemize their tuition bill so parents can see where the money is going.

Perhaps one of the Berners can tell me if his free college tuition plan addresses some of the frills of universities.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Grouchio posted:

Jeb!'s existence as a living black hole of charisma ensured that Colbert merely had to give him a single minute of screen time to do that.

Jeb reading a teleprompter of Trumpified lines was pretty painful because the vacuum of his screen presence was deafening.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Debate times have changed

CNN has moved the prime-time GOP presidential debate to 8 p.m. EST, closing the gap between the second-tier debate earlier in the evening, Politico reported late Tuesday night.

The second-tier debate will start at 6 p.m. and conclude by 7:45 p.m.

CNN anchor Jake Tapper will moderate with questions also asked by CNN Chief Political Correspondent Dana Bash and conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/cnn-gop-debate-time-change-politico

No wolf

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

The Nastier Nate posted:

I have no doubt that state schools are wasting money left and right. But when it comes time to pick a college, a $12,000 a year in-state tuition, supplemented by taxes (which I pay for no matter where I send my kid) looks far more reasonable when compared to $50,000 for a private university, where the education is basically the same. The end cost is essentially the same, but the bill to the student/parent is quite different so I'm not ready to start bitching about state schools yet.

But you should be bitching, because the 10-15k a year for state universities today is the 50k a year for private universities of yesterday. Tuition has nearly tripled in the last decade. The push for "better accommodations" (like these were loving hotels or something) and the huge spikes in administrative pay have a lot to do with that rise in tuition costs. Why should you be happy spending the money today that you would have spent on an ivy league school ten years ago?

12k a year is completely out of reach for a lot of this country and at least very unreasonable for most.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

HappyHippo posted:

She literally told them to come up with policies and get back to her. That's literally what happened. It's not an exaggeration.

And I mean "literally" in the actual real sense, not the colloquial figurative sense.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Feather posted:

She literally told them to come up with policies and get back to her. That's literally what happened. It's not an exaggeration.

And I mean "literally" in the actual real sense, not the colloquial figurative sense.

Is that bad? Because I agree with her. Unless they start working on policies, all that remains is a Tumblr hashtag fad. Um.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

One thing I think we may see at the debate is following question.

"Do you believe republicans should shut down the government until Planned Parenthood is defunded?"

• Locked thread