Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
:greencube:

(i sequence broke a bit by fishing up the nepto dragon during the moonfire faire)

its amazing how much of a pain in the rear end the living legends are even with endgame level 60 gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I can't help but feel like my addiction to collecting Triple Triad cards is like a babby version of fishing.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I just fist-bumped some random level 1 newbie and they invited me to their friends list but I declined and now I feel really mean :smith:.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You monster. You probably let lalafells go un-massacred, too.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?

Ignimbrite posted:

Oh god I do :negative:

I'm gonna go unsubscribe now.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got up to Ishgard/Heavensward. Man the patch content stuff took longer then I thought it would. Overall pretty surprised by what they did with the story.

Ignimbrite posted:

This is particularly relevant to what I witnessed in those cutscenes.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

DolphinCop posted:

:greencube:

(i sequence broke a bit by fishing up the nepto dragon during the moonfire faire)

its amazing how much of a pain in the rear end the living legends are even with endgame level 60 gear

Nice! Been trying to get a helicoprion for loving weeks now :negative:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is there a newbie guide that explains how leveling up other classes and stuff works? My Lancer is level 24 now but I need to get to 15 in Marauder as well as 30 in Lancer to become a Dragoon, should I start working on that or just ignore it? Should I pick a crafting/gathering class so I can swap back and forth while adventuring to do stuff?

This is all new and confusing to me.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I'd say get it done before your lancer hits 30 so you can get your dragoon job stone straight away since it's a very significant boost to your stats and lets you use job abilities. Whether you pick up gathering /crafting just know that they can be a massive time and money sink.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Level your lancer to 30 first, then when your next job quest requires level 15 marauder go do that.

E: Either way I don't think it really matters, you won't lose anything by doing it sooner or later as long as your Lancer is higher then the marauder.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 9, 2015

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a newbie guide that explains how leveling up other classes and stuff works? My Lancer is level 24 now but I need to get to 15 in Marauder as well as 30 in Lancer to become a Dragoon, should I start working on that or just ignore it? Should I pick a crafting/gathering class so I can swap back and forth while adventuring to do stuff?

You get an XP bonus for the disparity between the level of your highest class and whatever class you're playing. In other words, get your lancer to 30, then do your marauder to 15. I don't think crafting and gathering work quite like they do in other MMOs, and take a lot more investment (their own gear and stats) so they're best done when you have the time/interest to dedicate to them.

On a similar note: Are there hunting logs for MCH/DRK/AST? Just unlocked them the other day and wasn't seeing any. Similarly, is there any for other classes' 50-60?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
There are no hunting logs for the new jobs. Nor are their new class specific ones. If you go to the bar in Foundation, however, there are some new daily hunts which give exp and new seals which can be very useful once you hit 60.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

Is there a newbie guide that explains how leveling up other classes and stuff works?

Each class has its own experience track, gear set, and skill bindings. It works almost like switching characters in other MMOs, except that you can do it at any time. If you switch classes outside of a sanctuary area, your skills will be on cooldown for a few seconds.

Once you've reached level 10 in your first class, you can just walk into any guild and speak to the receptionist. They give you an intro quest to talk the the guildmaster who will give you your first mainhand for that class. Equipping the mainhand means you're now acting as that class, with access to its skills and putting experience towards it. Starting a new class will also give you an additional gear set in the armoury system so you can save a set of equipment for each class you have.

Any combat class other than your highest leveled one will earn a 100% bonus on experience gained below level 50, and a 50% bonus above level 50. This bonus means you can get a secondary class up to 15 to unlock your job stone by finishing your first couple hunting logs and running a few low level FATEs. It doesn't really make a big difference whether you do this now or once wait until you hit 30 on your main class, just so long as you get it done and get your job stone ASAP.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Why shouldn't crafted gear be good and useful?

I'm totally fine with high end crafted gear being more optimal in some places because otherwise what's the point of the crafting classes?

It should be good and useful prior to raiding. Then you use the gear off the boss you killed to replace the crafted gear.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Oxyclean posted:

You get an XP bonus for the disparity between the level of your highest class and whatever class you're playing. In other words, get your lancer to 30, then do your marauder to 15. I don't think crafting and gathering work quite like they do in other MMOs, and take a lot more investment (their own gear and stats) so they're best done when you have the time/interest to dedicate to them.

On a similar note: Are there hunting logs for MCH/DRK/AST? Just unlocked them the other day and wasn't seeing any. Similarly, is there any for other classes' 50-60?

I would also take Pugilist to 12 so you can get their best cross-class skill for LNC/DRG (Internal Release) but its only 12 levels and not really a high priority.

Consider taking MRD to 26 so you can get Mercy Stroke and be done with those cross classes as well. Plus, if you're new to MMOs, getting an idea of how the tanking works will help you as a DPS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

A thing people seem to have missed mentioning is that Dragoon is just a straight upgrade to Lancer. It uses the same experience. If you're a level 34 Lancer and you have Dragoon unlocked, you're a level 34 Dragoon. So when you hit 30 Lancer, at the latest, go get Marauder to 15 so you can be a Dragoon. You don't then have to level up Dragoon instead.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I can't believe these posts are leaving something important out - get your first class to 30 before going any other side combat classes, because one you hit 30 you can get your chocobo combat companion. Your boco can act like a tank, healer, or dps, and no matter what role it takes it will let your lower (or main) class easily take on enemies faster or several levels higher than you can otherwise, which really helps your secondary classes go quicker and easier.

Also, you can cross class skills form your primary class without level restrictions. If there's s level 60 cross-classable skill, you can use it on a secondary class even at level 1

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Malloreon posted:

Advanced poo poo?

One time enmity combo

repeat mana/health regen/damage combo till encounter over.

Someone else looks dangerously close to grabbing focus? switch back once. DRK's enmity generation is off the chain.

That's it.

Yeah all of this is Advanced poo poo for pubbies, that's the whole point.

Technogeek posted:

Yoshi P just needs to admit and say he wanted to create an MMORPG he wanted to play since he wanted a combo of WoW and DAoC not what you guys wanted to play

It's funny because he has. Like everyone knows XIV is based on DAoC and WoW, and I know it goes without saying but my god "everyone" is not this person's hikkikomori weeb blowhard friend. I mean friends, yea. Totally real, human friends.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Lancer is a special exception because you want fracture as soon as possible because its the best skill in the game and you should always be using it

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Boten Anna posted:

Yeah all of this is Advanced poo poo for pubbies, that's the whole point.

It's funny because he has. Like everyone knows XIV is based on DAoC and WoW, and I know it goes without saying but my god "everyone" is not this person's hikkikomori weeb blowhard friend. I mean friends, yea. Totally real, human friends.

I never played daoc. What part of that game does ffxiv take from?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sentient Data posted:

I can't believe these posts are leaving something important out - get your first class to 30 before going any other side combat classes, because one you hit 30 you can get your chocobo combat companion. Your boco can act like a tank, healer, or dps, and no matter what role it takes it will let your lower (or main) class easily take on enemies faster or several levels higher than you can otherwise, which really helps your secondary classes go quicker and easier.

Also, you can cross class skills form your primary class without level restrictions. If there's s level 60 cross-classable skill, you can use it on a secondary class even at level 1

I made my chocobo a tank but he doesn't seem very good at it. I remember him getting wrecked when I was trying to play one of my alt classes, it wasn't as bad on my main, but I'm not sure if that was because I got him to rank 3 or because I was blowing stuff up much faster. Is there a good way to get him ranks faster? It seems to take forever, and it's made worse by the game constantly throwing quests at me that require me to dismiss him, and not being allowed to have him out while I wait in my 20 minute dps queue.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
join an fc and put him in a stable where you know he'll get fed and/or have your challenge log bosom buddies I/II done weekly since that's 15% of a level. there's no quick way to do it really, especially at higher ranks when they need 3 million exp to rank up

a krakka root in a clean stable is worth 1% of a level, bosom buddies I is worth 5%, and II is worth 10%

until your chocobo has some ranks in him, esp for healcobo or tankcobo, they really suck at their job. the heal tree and the tank tree have a healing done/damage taken down debuff that they keep up pretty much constantly at a certain rank (choco surge/choco guard)

at rank 3 tho your chocobo is mostly just token help

and the tank chocobo has a hard time keeping aggro anyways

e: also healing chocobo is completely pointless until rank 4 because choco regen is really really bad

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 9, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Oxyclean posted:

I made my chocobo a tank but he doesn't seem very good at it. I remember him getting wrecked when I was trying to play one of my alt classes, it wasn't as bad on my main, but I'm not sure if that was because I got him to rank 3 or because I was blowing stuff up much faster. Is there a good way to get him ranks faster? It seems to take forever, and it's made worse by the game constantly throwing quests at me that require me to dismiss him, and not being allowed to have him out while I wait in my 20 minute dps queue.

The first 6-7 ranks are fast enough by just killing monsters. Take him out and use him while fating and doing other over world stuff. When you're done playing for the day, make sure you stable your chocobo and give him a krakka root. You can feed him 1 per hour. At lower ranks it gives around 1% of a level and at higher ones about half that. Someone else in your FC can also feed him after he's been in the box for an hour, but if he's really low rank that might not happen as much. Krakka roots cost around 1200 a piece off the market board and you get a lot less value for your dollar to use it on birds lower than rank 7 or 8.

You also have weekly challenge logs (unlock your challenge log if you haven't!) that will give you a significant chunk of a rank for killing 100 mobs with your bro.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Holyshoot posted:

nothing lol

frontlines vaguely resemble daoc's pvp

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Doublestep posted:

nothing lol

frontlines vaguely resemble daoc's pvp

So hey, what's your beef with mouse clicking? I've never seen someone articulate an actual disadvantage to clicking vs pressing and in my experience there is no difference. Actions still queue whether I'm tapping a key or clicking on the mouse.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Holyshoot posted:

Doublestep beat me to it but yeah, DAoC was Yoship's first love. I haven't really played it I just know the Realm vs Realm vs Realm PVP was a huge deal, and frontlines is kind of like it. There's probably other more subtle things too but he also played a lot of WoW along with like, literally everyone else into MMOs and no matter what he did the game was going to be compared to WoW, so of course it's the largest influence.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Mr. Nice! posted:

So hey, what's your beef with mouse clicking? I've never seen someone articulate an actual disadvantage to clicking vs pressing and in my experience there is no difference. Actions still queue whether I'm tapping a key or clicking on the mouse.

giving up camera control to click an action :whitewater:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

So you can keep your mouse free to change your target / move the camera. Seems like it's particularly important for a healer or tank, or when you don't want to rely on wonky-rear end tab targeting.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Never stop re-positioning your camera to see everything going on and strafing wildly when on GCD. Can't stop won't stop.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Since this game is also designed with controller in mind, the game certainly works for clickers too. The disadvantages aren't so obvious with a 2.5s gcd. Still, trying to click 2 different ogcd abilities must be more difficult than just pushing 2 buttons on your keyboard

Try playing a melee DPS and do your rotation while a boss is rotating or being dragged somewhere. Pretty nice to be able to have camera control and move, and use abilities.

And good luck if you play a healer and have to click party frames to select a target then click the desired spell

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

Loss of mouse control means you lose control of your camera and losing control of your camera means you lose control of your character if you are the the type that constantly right clicks (like me) or your ability to click on your party UI for heal (since I dont have keybind assinged to party members)

Also the time it takes to move your mouse and click something is a whole lot higher than having things down to muscle memory on your keyboard/gamepad. Dont get me wrong, content isn't usually hard enough for it to make much of a difference and knowing when to press buttons is a million times more important than how you press them but still, it'll be better if you get things down muscle memory.

Actually thinking about I should probably just set keybinds for party member too now that I have a mouse with this many buttons.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Thanks for all the advice on leveling, everyone. Is the best way just to do fates until I'm high enough for dungeons or should I do quests too?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you're equally on the ball, clicking won't make any difference (especially with ability queueing) when it comes to actually executing the abilities. Where it'll come into more conflict is with camera control, player facing, movement (as it relates to camera), and targeting. So you'll probably be just as good on a target dummy, but in a real fight you may find yourself not able to react to adds or mechanics as fluidly.

Honestly I think clicking is fine for off-GCD cooldowns of the non-emergency variety, but anything that you're regularly hitting (or need to hit fast, like tank/heal emergency buttons) you should be able to hit comfortably with a keystroke.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I guess I'm just a fast clicker because I don't have any issues with camera control conflicting with my abilities. It works pretty well for me whether I'm tanking, healing, or DPSing but I also don't use it for everything and have primary skills at 1-6 and alt 1-6.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Pews posted:

And good luck if you play a healer and have to click party frames to select a target then click the desired spell

This is exactly what Elyseium's healer does in the world first A4S kill video so nobody should ever feel bad about doing this.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All of my oh poo poo buttons are pretty much mouse click only because I don't have enough spots to put those to a keybind. I guess it's just a case of you have to be fast with your mouse.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

IcePhoenix posted:

If you're going to craft, here's some guidelines for starting out:

- Wait until you're in a GC so you can buy a company manual to help get you EXP
- Level all crafting jobs at once (it's honestly easier), and get all crafting classes to 15 to start.
- To add on to the previous point, the best way to get experience is to do daily turn-ins at your GC. GCs also offer decent crafting gear for starters.
- Your priority for crafting jobs is: CUL (for hasty touch and steady hand 2 at lvl 37), CRP (Rumination is good early on, gets replaced by Byregot's Blessing at 50), ALC (Tools of the Trade is useful), and then whatever you want at that point.

Do as little or as much crafting as you want. For me, crafting is good for gearing classes I'm leveling up, and then repairing my gear wherever I'm at in the world. I also use my BSM to build myself other crafting tools too.

You should definitely get a gatherer class and level it up, and then make one of your retainers one of the gathering classes (the other should be your primary class, so in this case you should make it a lancer, then give it hand-me-downs for gear). Miner tends to be the most useful.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Should I pick a crafting/gathering class so I can swap back and forth while adventuring to do stuff?

I think a lot of people gloss over how important this question is. In WoW it was best to pick gathering and crafting professions early so you could do them while you level, so this question is really "am I missing out by not doing crafting while I level?"

The answer is no, crafting is its own thing and while some people certainly do that, I personally don't reccomend even bothering until you hit at least 50 and finish the MSQ.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
here's the biggest thing to emphasize about crafting: it is hugely a "the rich get richer" environment in a game where the only thing an assload of money gets you is exclusive furniture nobody but yourself will look at because nobody goes around looking at things they don't have and going "oh that's nice, i like that", and in some cases the expensive exclusive furniture is also pretty uggo as well. it's not like wow where a huge pocketbook can put you ahead of the game in buying epics, especially with law gear so easy to get and the craft i180 stuff being so expensive because of the hw endgame crafting being a loving mess of weekly gated materials and bullshit

don't craft because you want to make money (you will spend far more in materials leveling it up than you will make back, and it gets worse every day as someone new enters the game), and don't craft because you think that you'll be able to keep your gear up to date, i mean you could but you'd spend way more time working on the crafting than you would be just leveling.

if you just want enough money to live on, one gathering job is enough, and it doesn't even need to be maxed. demand for mythril ore is still there because it's an ingredient in mythrite nuggets for example, and people mass producing that poo poo for whatever reason aren't going to pick up their pick and drag their rear end out to southern thanalan to mine a bunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

This is exactly what Elyseium's healer does in the world first A4S kill video so nobody should ever feel bad about doing this.

Minh clicks party frames, but they're not clicking the frames, then clicking on cure, then clicking on frames, etc. Their heals are bound 1-6.

• Locked thread