Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Can you get renters insurance on an illegal apartment? I'm guessing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Can you get renters insurance on an illegal apartment? I'm guessing no.

What constitutes an illegal apartment?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd imagine a basement apartment. I'm not well versed in the law regarding apartments.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
It was surprisingly hard to google this- is it safe to store a small (two-person) couch on its side for a week? I.E. lengthwise so it's about head height? Has anyone else done this before?

I got a really good deal on one, it's a quality couch, and it's barely fitting into my current place as-is, but I could probably find a way to store it lengthwise if storing it like this until the 1st will cause it to warp or something.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Does it feel like it would get damaged that way? Yes? Then maybe, otherwise probably not, no. People stack couches in a weird way in moving trucks all the time and I've never heard of them getting damaged from it.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
If it's a normal American couch, it'll be fine. If it has particularly heavy arms/sides, I'd be careful, but I'm with the littlest prince, if it doesn't look like it'll explode, it'll be fine.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
It's sturdy and seems to be holding up, so I'll leave it. Thanks!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I just moved in to an apartment that has a really old stove, like 1950s vintage. I had gas services activated and then pulled the thing out from the wall to turn on the main gas line. I was only able to light 2/3 of the pilots with what I had available to me, but later it smelled faintly of gas after I had finished cooking. Is an unlit pilot in the broiler/oven enough to give off that smell or could it be a leak?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Small concentrations of gas stink pretty bad but I'd do my best to get it checked by someone experienced as soon as you're able just to be safe - gas and electrical are two things you don't want to gently caress around with or go DIY handyman on unless you know what you're doing!

As for the pilot light, some systems require an element to be heated sufficiently in order to open the flow of gas, and you need to hold a button down to keep the flame lit for 30 seconds or so to let it get up to temperature. You might want to look / feel around for something like that, or give the landlord a ring to see if they know their way around their old rear end stove.

Good luck and I hope your house / your stuff / you don't perish in a catastrophic explosion.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yes, an open unlit pilot will definitely make your kitchen smell like gas. Turn it all off until you figure out a way to shut down that pilot or to light it.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

All the cross-country moving tips I can find online are for people with lots of stuff who are driving or hiring movers. I'm trying to do it with just a few suitcases and boxes, since I don't have to move any furniture. Help?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Sell everything that isn't sentimental.

If you can fill a pod, price out moving a pod.

If not, crate it up and look up freight services, starting with UPS or FedEx Ground, and moving to more obscure stuff like uShip.

How are you traveling? How many suitcases will they allow?

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

photomikey posted:

Sell everything that isn't sentimental.

If you can fill a pod, price out moving a pod.

If not, crate it up and look up freight services, starting with UPS or FedEx Ground, and moving to more obscure stuff like uShip.

How are you traveling? How many suitcases will they allow?

I definitely don't have enough for a pod, I looked into it and it's not worth it. I'm flying on Southwest, so I get two checked bags (free!), and one carry-on! I already bought a thing to weigh my luggage, because I ant to cram as much in there as possible.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

All the cross-country moving tips I can find online are for people with lots of stuff who are driving or hiring movers. I'm trying to do it with just a few suitcases and boxes, since I don't have to move any furniture. Help?

A few months ago, my husband and I did a cross-country move with all the stuff we wanted to keep packed into a Kia Soul.

Things I did/learned:
Go through all your poo poo you want to keep.
Halve the stuff you wanna keep.
Halve it again.
Stuff everything into car, continue paring down the poo poo you want to keep based on whether or not it'll fit.
Break the drive up into legs. We took four days to go from Alabama to Northern California.
Have hotel reservations done in advance, and make sure they're pre-paid, not pay upon arrival (we got bit by this in Albuquerque, when we tried to check into our room at 10pm only to be told our reservation was "lost." Liiiiiiiies).
Stop places, experience things, get out of the car.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Gnossiennes posted:

A few months ago, my husband and I did a cross-country move with all the stuff we wanted to keep packed into a Kia Soul.

Things I did/learned:
Go through all your poo poo you want to keep.
Halve the stuff you wanna keep.
Halve it again.
Stuff everything into car, continue paring down the poo poo you want to keep based on whether or not it'll fit.
Break the drive up into legs. We took four days to go from Alabama to Northern California.
Have hotel reservations done in advance, and make sure they're pre-paid, not pay upon arrival (we got bit by this in Albuquerque, when we tried to check into our room at 10pm only to be told our reservation was "lost." Liiiiiiiies).
Stop places, experience things, get out of the car.

I wish I was driving, it would actually be easier (if more expensive), but there's no way my car would make it, so I'm selling it and flying.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

If the boxes aren't heavy or delicate, shipping them USPS + tracking (flat rate shipping is a max of 4lbs I think) might make do. Since you're flying, different airlines allow different amounts of free bag check depending on which class you book.

e: took out a bunch of stuff since I didn't see your post above mine :shobon:

My question to landlord/property management people: how negotiable are "pet rent" charges to you? Consider that this is in addition to market rate rent and additional pet deposits. Portland seems to have caught on to the "pet rent" trend and is running with it. I just want somewhere to live for a half dozen or so years with reasonable rent increases :saddowns:

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 4, 2015

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Anne Whateley posted:

Yes, an open unlit pilot will definitely make your kitchen smell like gas. Turn it all off until you figure out a way to shut down that pilot or to light it.

This was definitely it. I shut down the main gas line last night after I first discovered it, but today I came back at it after purchasing a BBQ lighter so that I was able to reach the back of the broiler where the final pilot light is. There's no more smell of gas after I turned things back on and got all 3 pilot lights lit.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ladyweapon posted:

My question to landlord/property management people: how negotiable are "pet rent" charges to you? Consider that this is in addition to market rate rent and additional pet deposits. Portland seems to have caught on to the "pet rent" trend and is running with it. I just want somewhere to live for a half dozen or so years with reasonable rent increases :saddowns:

Not at all negotiable. If they were negotiable everyone would claim their dog/cat is the most precious well-behaved furbaby on the planet and try to haggle it down. Since it's hard to find places that allow pets the landlord knows you're not likely to just leave so they're not going to budge.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just wanted to say I got an awesome apartment, and I'm super happy right now. Thanks to everyone in here that gave advice. (Yes I got renter's insurance :))

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Not at all negotiable. If they were negotiable everyone would claim their dog/cat is the most precious well-behaved furbaby on the planet and try to haggle it down. Since it's hard to find places that allow pets the landlord knows you're not likely to just leave so they're not going to budge.
I'm genuinely confused, how is the behavior of my animals related to charging an extra monthly pet rent?

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

ladyweapon posted:

I'm genuinely confused, how is the behavior of my animals related to charging an extra monthly pet rent?

The extra pet rent is to offset the inevitable extra carpet cleaning costs/wall repairs that are necessary when someone with a pet moves out. If it were negotiable everyone would claim their pet NEVER poops/pees/pukes inside and NEVER chews on anything inappropriate.

I have two dogs so I'm not just hating on "ew pets are gross" but as both a landlord and pet owner I understand both sides.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

ladyweapon posted:

Everything is negotiable. If you have good credit, a good job, a believable story, no pets, no partner, no kids, no drama, you are in an A+ spot to negotiate. For every strike you have, you drop down a notch.

In real life, the people who want to negotiate have terrible credit, a mediocre job, no-cosigner, a sketchy story, and three pit bulls.

Your best bet is with an indie landlord. "I have a good credit and a good job and one cat. I dislike the concept of pet-rent. If you're willing to take a larger deposit in leiu of pet rent, I'm willing to sign a 3-year lease."

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

The extra pet rent is to offset the inevitable extra carpet cleaning costs/wall repairs that are necessary when someone with a pet moves out. If it were negotiable everyone would claim their pet NEVER poops/pees/pukes inside and NEVER chews on anything inappropriate.

I have two dogs so I'm not just hating on "ew pets are gross" but as both a landlord and pet owner I understand both sides.
That's what the pet security deposit is for. I have no problem with the additional deposit, it makes sense because my animals are absolutely going to do additional damage to the place. I do try to minimize what happens, but they're animals and I'm pretty sure the fat one pukes on things to spite me. Its the extra ~$450-600 ($35-50/mo) every year in non-refundable "rent" payments, on top of the additional $600-800 in pet deposit and the standard security deposit I dislike the idea of.

photomikey posted:

Everything is negotiable. If you have good credit, a good job, a believable story, no pets, no partner, no kids, no drama, you are in an A+ spot to negotiate. For every strike you have, you drop down a notch.

In real life, the people who want to negotiate have terrible credit, a mediocre job, no-cosigner, a sketchy story, and three pit bulls.

Your best bet is with an indie landlord. "I have a good credit and a good job and one cat. I dislike the concept of pet-rent. If you're willing to take a larger deposit in leiu of pet rent, I'm willing to sign a 3-year lease."
Thanks, photomikey. I've only got two strikes for each cat it seems. The only reason I even really asked is because the few places wanting pet rent are the ones in really close proximity to my job. A multi-year lease within a mile or two of work would be a dream.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
I'm looking into buying a condo, I found one that I really liked and I'm going to seriously start making moves on it; I'm sure the answer is a resounding "YES. ALWAYS." But I just want an extra opinion, would I need a house inspection for a condo? I planned on doing one but I just didn't know if I was being superfluous

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

CeramicPig posted:

I'm looking into buying a condo, I found one that I really liked and I'm going to seriously start making moves on it; I'm sure the answer is a resounding "YES. ALWAYS." But I just want an extra opinion, would I need a house inspection for a condo? I planned on doing one but I just didn't know if I was being superfluous

Absolutely. When my mom was shopping for a condo a few years ago she skipped on at least one really good looking one because the inspection brought up a ton of issues.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

CeramicPig posted:

YES

ALWAYS

e: and if your agent recommends an inspector, get someone else.

I have a buddy who bought a condo, and didn't find out until after he signed the papers that the god drat foundation of the place was sinking into the ground, and the HoA was balls deep in a lawsuit with the contractor who skipped some rather important steps in the construction process. I don't know for sure if he got an inspection or not, but knowing the guy he is I'm going to guess no. My brother's inspector noted every crack in the concrete in the townhouse he bought, they're pretty through and I have a hard time believing an inspector wouldn't mention something like a sinking building.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 7, 2015

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
Ok then I'll get one. My brother just got a townhouse and his did a good job. I wouldn't dare get anyone the condo suggested, I've read this thread enough to know that. Thank you all!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Also make sure you check into why the ownership corporation is being sued.

They're almost always being sued, but it's a good idea to know if it's something worth worrying about or not.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
So I just moved into a pretty nice apartment building. I had seen the model unit but not this specific one before moving in since it was occupied.The hardwood floors are full of giant scratches and dents and and some pieces are chipped. I already took pictures to make sure I don't get charged for it at some point, but is it reasonable for me to demand they fix/replace it?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Xandu posted:

So I just moved into a pretty nice apartment building. I had seen the model unit but not this specific one before moving in since it was occupied.The hardwood floors are full of giant scratches and dents and and some pieces are chipped. I already took pictures to make sure I don't get charged for it at some point, but is it reasonable for me to demand they fix/replace it?

It's obviously too late for this, but advice for people in the same situation: don't ever sign a lease if you've only seen a model. It's also not normal to not be able to view an apartment because it's occupied.

For your specific situation, it depends on what your lease says. There may be provisions that prohibit you from requesting repairs because you agreed that the unit was in good shape. I've never signed a lease that didn't hold me liable to some sort of final walk through, but yours may be different.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Blast Fantasto posted:

It's obviously too late for this, but advice for people in the same situation: don't ever sign a lease if you've only seen a model. It's also not normal to not be able to view an apartment because it's occupied.
You know how I learned this particular lesson? Because I got hosed over, like the OP did.

If you took possession, it's pretty much yours.

You may be able to make some noise and get them to fix some poo poo, but you'll never be living in anything that looks like the model. Power to you if you find a way to aggravate the management. They deserve it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
I knew the old complex would try some poo poo like this...

So I got my charges from my old apartment, came out to be like $360.17. There is, included, an itemized list.

- I was charged 85.17 by the utility services company that this apartment complex uses; no problem there.
- 5 dollars for the pest control bill. Eh, five bucks I could give a poo poo.

Things I THOUGHT I would get charged for, and wasn't:

- Damage to paint in one of the bedrooms
- Damage to the floor in the living room
- Scuff marks
- Busted rear end fridge they refused to fix
- Garbage disposal that worked when I moved in, suddenly broke, and we haven't be able to get to work since and they refused to fix.
- Carpet cleaning. I don't own a steam cleaner.

So I dodged a bullet there I figured. So where did the 275 come from? This is where it begins to piss me off.

- 25 dollars for garbage removal. There was no garbage in the apartment. I thoroughly cleaned before I left. If I forgot anything, it was something tiny and insignificant, not worth a 25 dollar charge. What the gently caress?
- 150 dollars for a broken window. But there were no broken windows when I left. Did they claim I busted a window? I think I would remember that. I was in the apartment on the 30th and 31st last month to finish loading what was left. There was no broken window then. Doubt it got broken between then and when they checked the apartment and even then I wasn't there.
- 100 dollars for roach cleanout. Even though there were no roaches. There was no food. I wasn't hardly there for over two months. I stopped by literally to check for missives from the complex and the mail. The only things in there was a lamp, an extension cord, four keyboards, an office chair, a hutch, and a mattress. Pretty sure if there were roaches they would be coming from another apartment, not mine.

So how do you dispute such bullshit claims?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Did you take any photos before you left?

You file in small claims court. Do not call and threaten to file in small claims court. Do not shake your fist and say "I'll see you in small claims court". File and have them served. Then go to small claims court with your story.

If you have no photos and no evidence and no one else who was there with you, you may or may not win. (Depends if they have evidence of the damage they accuse you of.) But you're really only out $25 to try, and there's at least a 50/50 shot that they won't show and you'll win by default, or that they'll call you ahead of time and offer to settle., and another 50/50 shot that you'd win in court, so by my armchair estimation, you have a 75% chance of getting some or all of your cash back.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

I attempted to take photos, but was having issues with my phone. I finally just gave up and left. I did have someone there with me, though. The only other evidence I have is that while I was occupying the space (my stuff was still there, I still had the key, the rent was paid and I stopped by periodically) I had a lease elsewhere and was living there.

EDIT: You said "some or all of your cash back", should I go ahead and pay this now then file with the court, or file with the court and wait?

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 10, 2015

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Things like the fridge and the garbage disposal are easy to prove that they were negligent if you have emails/letters that you sent saying that the thing was broken that they either never responded to or did not follow through on promises with. But, did you just live with a busted-rear end fridge? Additionally, stuff like paint damage should be negligible since (at least in my city) landlords paint between tenants, or at least have to offer to paint. I have always had wood floors, but steam cleaning your carpet is your responsibility when you move out of an apartment.

The stuff like roach clean out I would check your lease for, since it sounds like it might be a thing that they do between tenants. Check your local laws for what landlords are required to do between tenants and whether or not you have to foot the bill for them.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Eponine posted:

Things like the fridge and the garbage disposal are easy to prove that they were negligent if you have emails/letters that you sent saying that the thing was broken that they either never responded to or did not follow through on promises with. But, did you just live with a busted-rear end fridge? Additionally, stuff like paint damage should be negligible since (at least in my city) landlords paint between tenants, or at least have to offer to paint. I have always had wood floors, but steam cleaning your carpet is your responsibility when you move out of an apartment.

A. There was no paperwork, even though I asked for it several times. They just didn't have a good filing system, so there is very little in the way of paperwork. These people are just loving terrible. The difference between this complex and the one I live in now is that the first time maintance showed up in our new apartment to fix something we had to sign a work order. In the old apartment they'd just come in, "fix" the problem, and leave.
B. Yeah, for a while, until my roommates were kicked out, and once I got the lease paid in full I packed most of my poo poo and left too.
C. I only mentioned it because of my concern if I try to take this to court they'll bring all of that up. I wasn't charged for any of that, but I thought I would be. The fact I got charged for this other poo poo (the roach cleanout, the garbage removal, the broken window) that wasn't true (no roaches, no garbage, no broken window) is what I'm pissed about.

Eponine posted:

The stuff like roach clean out I would check your lease for, since it sounds like it might be a thing that they do between tenants. Check your local laws for what landlords are required to do between tenants and whether or not you have to foot the bill for them.

Good thinking, I'll check on that.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Skunkrocker posted:

EDIT: You said "some or all of your cash back", should I go ahead and pay this now then file with the court, or file with the court and wait?
I assumed that you had a deposit, and they'd taken the costs out of the deposit and returned the rest (or there was no more). Can you clarify? This does change things a bit.

Eponine posted:

Things like the fridge and the garbage disposal are easy to prove that they were negligent if you have emails/letters that you sent saying that the thing was broken that they either never responded to or did not follow through on promises with.
Reporting damage does not absolve you of paying for the damage. I.e. if you put a handful of rocks down your garbage disposal, and they come in and see the rocks, they can fix the damage and bill you for it, or not fix the damage and you'll have to deal with it on your own. I'm not suggesting that was the situation here, but clarifying that just having mentioned damage in the past does not absolve you of paying for it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

photomikey posted:

I assumed that you had a deposit, and they'd taken the costs out of the deposit and returned the rest (or there was no more). Can you clarify? This does change things a bit.
There wasn't a deposit. Just a one time security fee of like 80 bucks that I wouldn't get back. They said I would have to pay for damages, which I was prepared to do, but these are things that didn't happen hence my confusion and anger. Like I feel they're trying to bilk me of 175 just because they think they can.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Uh... I'm less educated on what happens now, because I've really never heard of that.

Basically you're on the other side of the situation. They'll have to sue you.

Seriously, I am not qualified to give you advice on this. Consult an attorney perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

photomikey posted:

Uh... I'm less educated on what happens now, because I've really never heard of that.

Basically you're on the other side of the situation. They'll have to sue you.

Seriously, I am not qualified to give you advice on this. Consult an attorney perhaps.

Yeah, I know right? These fuckers knew I was new to apartment renting. I've become a lot more skeptical.